PDA

View Full Version : What if Arvydas Sabonis came to the Blazers in his prime?

Meloman
05-25-2011, 12:10 AM
People say he's the best european player ever, including Dirk. They say he's a bigger Walton with more range. Bottom line, we've heard stories that he's incredible. The Blazers drafted him in '89, didn't come to the states until '95. But what if he came right away? Do the Blazers, with Clyde, Sabonis and a great supporting cast steal a title from MJ or the bad boys? Do they win multiple titles? Do MJ's Bulls have a legitimate rival for first part of their dynasty? Discuss...

iggypop123
05-25-2011, 12:15 AM
hakeem and sabonis going at it? would have been a dream come true. those two guys were so similar

mttwlsn16
05-25-2011, 12:20 AM
most random thread ever? i think so, at least in my time on PSD lol

llemon
05-25-2011, 12:25 AM
People say he's the best european player ever, including Dirk. They say he's a bigger Walton with more range. Bottom line, we've heard stories that he's incredible. The Blazers drafted him in '89, didn't come to the states until '95. But what if he came right away? Do the Blazers, with Clyde, Sabonis and a great supporting cast steal a title from MJ or the bad boys? Do they win multiple titles? Do MJ's Bulls have a legitimate rival for first part of their dynasty? Discuss...

Sabonis would have become immobile sooner.

Chacarron
05-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Waiting for Crooner to come in and rape this thread (in a good way).

TheHighLife
05-25-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm confused... its 2011, right?

desertrat218
05-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Sabonis was pretty awesome when he did get here. One can only speculate but I don't think anyone would have stopped that Blazers team if Sabonis had been their center in the early 90s instead of Duckworth.

Sadds The Gr8
05-25-2011, 03:27 AM
most random thread ever? i think so, at least in my time on PSD lol

Waiting for Crooner to come in and rape this thread (in a good way).

these.

Minimal
05-25-2011, 08:18 AM
I was born in Lithuania (Ilgauskas, Sabonis). In our country he is like a god of basketball. Too bad Sabonis joined the NBA far after his prime. Shooting, passing ability, rebounding, he was everything. This is your 7'3 center shooting 3s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlB8tX75Mc

Respect for this kind of thread.

Sly Guy
05-25-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't think any player's legacy in the history of basketball has benefited as much from the 'what if' questions as Arvydas Sabonis.

Hawkeye15
05-25-2011, 09:34 AM
He would have pushed for the best center in the NBA no doubt. Highly skilled big man, and just dominant in his prime. Would they have won titles? That is pure speculation.

But it is sad we missed Sabonis in his prime. The guy was a great player

jmethlo
05-25-2011, 09:43 AM
He would block even more shots in NBA Jam...

desertrat218
05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
He would have pushed for the best center in the NBA no doubt. Highly skilled big man, and just dominant in his prime. Would they have won titles? That is pure speculation.

But it is sad we missed Sabonis in his prime. The guy was a great player

It's hard to believe the Blazers would have lost to the Bulls in the 92 finals if Sabonis had been the center instead of Kevin Duckworth. That Blazers team was loaded with guys like Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Cliff Robinson, Jerome Kersey, and Buck Williams. If Sabonis had been there at that time it's hard to believe anyone would have stopped them.

Hawkeye15
05-25-2011, 01:18 PM
It's hard to believe the Blazers would have lost to the Bulls in the 92 finals if Sabonis had been the center instead of Kevin Duckworth. That Blazers team was loaded with guys like Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Cliff Robinson, Jerome Kersey, and Buck Williams. If Sabonis had been there at that time it's hard to believe anyone would have stopped them.

while I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just have a hard time living in speculation world, that's all.

desertrat218
05-25-2011, 01:49 PM
while I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just have a hard time living in speculation world, that's all.

With that comment, I'm surprised you bothered to respond to this thread at all. This kind of debate is much more entertaining than talking about known facts in my opinion. I also can't help wondering how many people on this site are even old enough to remember when Michael Jordan played much less the guys before him.

mikealike305
05-25-2011, 01:54 PM
^ im not. i have no idea who this guy is to be honest with you. the 03 draft (more then season that followed it) made me an NBA fan. i saw what wade could do and have been hooked since

Matrix3132
05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
^ im not. i have no idea who this guy is to be honest with you. the 03 draft (more then season that followed it) made me an NBA fan. i saw what wade could do and have been hooked since

So you're just a new nba fan who really can't offer any real opinions on the subject because you've only followed the game during what is probably it's worst era for defense and biased officiating.

mikealike305
05-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Hmmmm sounds about right. dont get me wrong i followed the heat for as long as i can remember (im 20) but only become a NBA fan in 03

mikealike305
05-25-2011, 02:10 PM
which is why im here reading, not giving input

Chronz
05-25-2011, 02:11 PM
So you're just a new nba fan who really can't offer any real opinions on the subject because you've only followed the game during what is probably it's worst era for defense and biased officiating.
So your a biased 90's fan who THINKS the defense and officiating was better during his time... amirite?

Chronz
05-25-2011, 02:13 PM
I don't think any player's legacy in the history of basketball has benefited as much from the 'what if' questions as Arvydas Sabonis.

True but it is not without reason/evidence.

Hellcrooner
05-25-2011, 02:57 PM
providing

1 HE NEVER BLEW HIS KNEES ( wich happened before 89)

2 He reported right away.

He would have become the BEST center of the decade.
And Jordan would have any number between 1 and 4 less Rings.

Hawkeye15
05-25-2011, 03:01 PM
With that comment, I'm surprised you bothered to respond to this thread at all. This kind of debate is much more entertaining than talking about known facts in my opinion. I also can't help wondering how many people on this site are even old enough to remember when Michael Jordan played much less the guys before him.

but we KNOW Sabonis would have been a dominant force in the NBA. I am speaking moreso of speculating on events (in this case, championships), that are done and over with.
In theory, would the Blazers have had enough to push the Bulls off? Possibly. The Bulls had great interior defense, but never saw what a prime Sabonis offered as far as stretching the floor, passing ability, and pure skillset for a giant center. We also need to remember Sabonis would have deteriorated faster than he did playing tons more games on shorter rest.

But in theory, yes, he would have easily made the Blazers championship contenders for a few years there.

I would guess a majority of the posters in here were either too young to watch or understand what they were seeing during the Jordan era. I started watching basketball in 1984 when I was 8. But I didn't really understand what was going on, in some sort of depth, until 1990 or so.

AntiG
05-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Bulls and Pistons would have one or less championship rings probably.

KnicksR4Real
05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
kid could shoot.

sep11ie
05-25-2011, 03:37 PM
I think it would have prevented global warming and 9/11.

YankeeClipper5
05-25-2011, 03:41 PM
I remember watching him when he entered the league. He was def fun to watch. Had great passing skills for a big man, and probably one of the biggest heads I've ever seen.

JoeyBoy718
05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
The Blazers are probably the greatest what-if dynasty of all time. You have the trio of Arvydas, Clyde and Cliff winning 4-5 championships; Clyde never going to Houston, making Hakeem have the legacy of a Mutombo; Jordan and Pippen only winning 2 or 3, and Jordan being called one of the top 10-15 greatest players of all time.

Then you have the current Blazers dynasty with Oden getting 22 ppg, 14 rpg, 4 bpg; Roy getting 27 ppg, 6 rpg, 6 apg; Aldridge getting 23 ppg, 11 rpg; the Miami trio never winning a ring, and LeBron being considered the most overrated player of all time; and Kobe never winning without Shaq and being considered the most beneficial player of all time.

Man, how bout them Blazers.

J-Relo
05-25-2011, 04:11 PM
The Blazers are probably the greatest what-if dynasty of all time. You have the trio of Arvydas, Clyde and Cliff winning 4-5 championships; Clyde never going to Houston, making Hakeem have the legacy of a Mutombo; Jordan and Pippen only winning 2 or 3, and Jordan being called one of the top 10-15 greatest players of all time.

Then you have the current Blazers dynasty with Oden getting 22 ppg, 14 rpg, 4 bpg; Roy getting 27 ppg, 6 rpg, 6 apg; Aldridge getting 23 ppg, 11 rpg; the Miami trio never winning a ring, and LeBron being considered the most overrated player of all time; and Kobe never winning without Shaq and being considered the most beneficial player of all time.

Man, how bout them Blazers.

Blazers also had Petrovic...

m26555
05-25-2011, 04:44 PM
providing

Better than Olajuwon? Please...

Hellcrooner
05-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Better than Olajuwon? Please...

yes, better.
his main opponent would have been shaq.

Hawkeye15
05-25-2011, 05:03 PM
yes, better.

I am not saying he would have been better than the Dream, but he was a lot better than most here understand. If he wouldn't have been hurt, amazing. But so would have Walton. Oh well, can't change the past.

But I have never seen his equal in passing and court recognition amongst centers. The dude was so smart, and a great shooter

JasonJohnHorn
05-25-2011, 05:08 PM
OMFG!!!!! HOLY FAWKING $#!T!!!!! That team would have DESTROYED every team in the league! It wouldnt have even been a contest. I wish to god that guy had come over in 88! The landscape of the league would have been completely different.

Can you imagine Bill Cartwright or Luc Longley, or Bill Wennington trying to step out to guard his three point shot? And Kersey, Willilams, Robinson, Petrovic, Drexler, Porter. FAWKING FORGET ABOUT IT!!! That team would have been going for the record for most consecutive playoff wins in a row. 4, 4, 4, 4: 89: 4, 4, 4, 90, 4, 4, 4, 4 91, 4, 4, 4, 4 92.... people would have been like: That Jordan can dunks real well, and he's got a decent jumper, but he aint not Drexler.
lol
Seriously, that would have change the league. Not exagerating.

Da Knicks
05-25-2011, 05:26 PM
He is not your vydas or my vydas he is Arvydas, loved this guys game one of the best ever. If he would of came earlier the nba would of never being the same...

SteveNash
05-25-2011, 05:56 PM
He'd probably whine about minutes and want to head back to Europe. One of the most overrated players of all time simply because he put up some decent stats past his prime and because he played Robinson evenly in one game.

If Sabonis gets all these what if questions, where are all the Roy Tarpley what if scenarios?

rhino17
05-25-2011, 06:15 PM

Are you delusional?

providing

Absurd, you are claiming that a guy who never competed at the highest level during his prime would have been a top 4-5 center of all time? LOL

valade16
05-25-2011, 06:20 PM
yes, better.

He would not have been better than Hakeem.

I started watching the Blazers in 96-97, so I saw a lot of Arvydas. His legs were absolutely gone when he was with the Blazers but you could still see the skills he displayed.

He had a great jumpshot (his flat as heck shot from the top of the key was money), excellent vision (he did this wierd one handed hook pass that was incredible) and a great hook shot. However, he didn't have nearly as polished footwork as Hakeem on the offensive nor defensive ends.
Additionally he was sometimes susceptible to "pumpfakes" and Hakeem would've exploited that like no other.

He was great, he would've been amazing. I'm not predicting he would've suddenly made the Blazers the dynasty of the 90's because Jordan's fire and will to win were unmatched probably in all of sports, but I think they could've stole a series or 2 away from them, as well as beat the Rockets perhaps.

Not to mention he sustained his injury before 89 if I'm not mistaken, so it's not like a completely injury free Sabonis would've made it over...

MalZee24
05-25-2011, 06:21 PM
yes, better.

i think monta ellis would have been better than all of them