PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brooks/Thunder Offense Exposed

Baller1
05-24-2011, 02:35 AM
It's an absolutely brilliant article for anyone who cares...

http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/05/22/oklahoma-citys-offense-and-the-lack-of-creativitymovement/

This is actually before game 4, so I can't wait to see another breakdown of the Thunder offense outlining game 4. I'm convinced that Scott Brook is legitimately the worst coach in the league.

I understand that the team lacks consistent scorers outside of Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. Yes, Westbrook needs to mature and become a smarter PG. It's true that Durant stands around too much at times. But, Brooks has to implement an offensive system; well, actually, Brooks needs to be fired.

It's unacceptable to let a team so young with this much talent develop bad habits. It's atrocious, and I don't understand how Westbrook and Durant are being criticized when they have no direction from the man who's supposed to teach these kids how to play basketball.

210Don
05-24-2011, 03:17 AM
lol @ blaming brooks the team isnt good enough period.

Hawkize31
05-24-2011, 03:21 AM
I like this a lot better than blaming the officials.

Iron24th
05-24-2011, 03:32 AM
all the blame can't be put on the coach,this is a young team who made mistakes,end of story.

SP17
05-24-2011, 03:35 AM
the end game possessions of the thunder just showed this..

nykobe24
05-24-2011, 03:40 AM
lol @ blaming brooks the team isnt good enough period.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH LMAO
says the guy thats a spurs fan and had the best record
and im not even a thunder fan but what you said was -___-

210Don
05-24-2011, 03:47 AM
NOT GOOD ENOUGH LMAO

i really dont see what you are arguing....
ive said all year the team was overrated they have everything you need to win BUT experience nothing you can do about that, but learn from your mistakes.
also what does my spurs fandom have anything to do with this? says the guy thats a jet fan. see what i did there?

AnalyzeNShoot
05-24-2011, 03:51 AM
I wouldnt read too much into this, even if Thunders lose this series, they surpass every1 expectation, no budy expected them to be in the WCF This year, and they are a heck of a team. Young and Inexperience team, they will learn and be as good as any1, but for now dallas just too experienced, and too hungry. This is the last chance for Dirk and Kidd, they want it bad

Raph12
05-24-2011, 04:07 AM
Personnel issue IMHO, you guys need a lowpost threat, you overpaid for Perk and then signed him to a huge deal. Big mistake, with an athletic, explosive, defensive-minded 4 like Ibaka, you guys needs a center with a good lowpost game to compliment Ibaka, but Perk was the complete opposite of that, just a big block who looked good next to KG because he could focus on guarding big guys like Dwight, Bynum and Shaq 1v1 and get help defense when he got beat... You need a lowpost threat or a PG like CP3 to get good looks/easy baskets regularly or this is the best your team will be.

beasted86
05-24-2011, 04:51 AM
I don't see how much blame can go to the guy when he got the team this far. Seems like a bail out move.

Thunder have the system in place to succeed, Westbrook just needs to play a lot better. He is down in efficiency across the board: FG% 3PT%, FT%, AST, AST/TOV ratio.

Saad
05-24-2011, 05:01 AM
Around 15 plays is a pretty small sample size to a whole season. This thunder team didnt win off talent alone. While I must admit some of those sequences are brutal.. they would've never gotten this far without some sort of offensive system. Albeit not a very intricate or well though-out one, but a system nonetheless.

When a team looks stagnant as did the Thunder during these clips, its up to the floor general to get everyone organized and get everyone where they are supposed to be. I feel like Westbrook isnt doing that great of a job of that. I dont wanna blame the guy, but he's responsible for calling the plays, reading the defense, and reacting to the defense.

But lets not forget the stifling mavericks defense either

bagwell368
05-24-2011, 06:03 AM
But lets not forget the stifling mavericks defense either

In the history of the NBA that's not a common phrase.

I was reading that OKC was a -32 with Perk in the games and a +32 when he wasn't (not 100% sure on those numbers, and it was prior to last night too).

Take the Pistons from the late 80's, they won two in a row and had the talent to win 3, but the wily old Celts ambushed them that year before the two titles. This OKC team is young and terrific. They need time and experience to come to fruition, and oh yeah, a young KG/Duncan type #5 would seal the deal on about 5 titles - but those don't come around very often. If Perk's knees don't come around near 100%, that extension could be a large barrier to success.

CityofChaos
05-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Keeping Westbrook at the one will hurt the thunder in the long run...

Carey
05-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Personnel issue IMHO, you guys need a lowpost threat, you overpaid for Perk and then signed him to a huge deal. Big mistake, with an athletic, explosive, defensive-minded 4 like Ibaka, you guys needs a center with a good lowpost game to compliment Ibaka, but Perk was the complete opposite of that, just a big block who looked good next to KG because he could focus on guarding big guys like Dwight, Bynum and Shaq 1v1 and get help defense when he got beat... You need a lowpost threat or a PG like CP3 to get good looks/easy baskets regularly or this is the best your team will be.

That sounds good in theory but the problem is there isnt alot of low post presences just walking around for the taking. We have the offense talent to get the job done but the system and the development of the players from an offensive standpoint is lacking. We have one of the worst half court offenses i've ever seen, in transition they are bad as well, just athletic and talented. His in game adjustments and late game plays, dont even get me started on those.

He's also failed at developing the players within his so called system. Ibaka is not a great offensive player by any means but he's more capapble then people think, he can hit open jumpers and he has a soft touch around the basket, enough handle to put i down and get pass slower bigs and some developing post skills. Nothing was done thru the regular season to expand on that and get him comfortable.

He never played Westbrook and Maynor together even when games like last night scream for that to be the case.

Harden should have been starting long ago and now Presti will have to force the move, Harden is a better passer with a better basketball IQ then Russ, those 2 in the starting lineup will be interchangeable, allowing Russell to play off the ball more and play to his strengths.

Despite all that im still confident in the personnel we have, next year when Harden is starting we will have to replace his bench scoring so a decent wing player who can stretch the floor and backup KD will be a target but beside that we just need a veteran offensive coach that can implement a real system and start to develop these players.

Baller1
05-24-2011, 10:41 AM
How do you people not see it? For the guy who said we didn't win off of talent alone... That's actually exactly the case. Brooks is coasting off of the talent he has to work with. He's an absolutely atrocious coach.

There's absolutely no offensive system in place. The teams best play? A backdoor cut by Harden off a high post by Collison. Funny part? They developed and began running that on their own.

Someone find me a consistent, effective system on the offensive end implemented by Brooks other than "Westbrook dribble until Durant gets open and if he doesn't go do something"... You won't be able to.

Lim
05-24-2011, 10:54 AM
scott brooks is awful. why is thabo sefoloca in the game shooting 3s at the end of the game? put in daequan cook ffs

KnicksorBust
05-24-2011, 10:58 AM
How do you people not see it? For the guy who said we didn't win off of talent alone... That's actually exactly the case. Brooks is coasting off of the talent he has to work with. He's an absolutely atrocious coach.

There's absolutely no offensive system in place. The teams best play? A backdoor cut by Harden off a high post by Collison. Funny part? They developed and began running that on their own.

Someone find me a consistent, effective system on the offensive end implemented by Brooks other than "Westbrook dribble until Durant gets open and if he doesn't go do something"... You won't be able to.

I wasn't exactly horrified by any of those clips. At the end of the game they need much better execution but every team in the league runs isos and has players stand around for pieces of the game. This isn't Princeton it's the NBA.

JuS ViBe
05-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Yep all I see okc do is get to the foul line and shoot jumpers...it's like the players come up with their own plays with westbrook driving in doing something stupid or something good

Carey
05-24-2011, 11:16 AM
I wasn't exactly horrified by any of those clips. At the end of the game they need much better execution but every team in the league runs isos and has players stand around for pieces of the game. This isn't Princeton it's the NBA.

But every team has staple plays, sets they run to get other guys going, substitutions to compliment each other and create spacing, there is no substance to 90% of what we do offensively.

Rivera
05-24-2011, 11:20 AM
In the history of the NBA that's not a common phrase.

I was reading that OKC was a -32 with Perk in the games and a +32 when he wasn't (not 100% sure on those numbers, and it was prior to last night too).

Take the Pistons from the late 80's, they won two in a row and had the talent to win 3, but the wily old Celts ambushed them that year before the two titles. This OKC team is young and terrific. They need time and experience to come to fruition, and oh yeah, a young KG/Duncan type #5 would seal the deal on about 5 titles - but those don't come around very often. If Perk's knees don't come around near 100%, that extension could be a large barrier to success.

here you go blaming perk again :facepalm: just get over the trade already

anyway good find baller...some of those clips are really revaling...sadly i do not see brooks getting canned anytime soon i just hope he doesnt hold back the thunder (even though why they are loosing this series is not entierly the coaches fault) maybe they will get an offensive assistant coach to help with the player and ball movement

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Lol, now people blaming Scott Brooks?

So many people jumped on this bandwagon it's ridiculous. I still lik KD, Russ, and Harden individually, but as a team they're way overhyped./

Baller1
05-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Lol, now people blaming Scott Brooks?

So many people jumped on this bandwagon it's ridiculous. I still lik KD, Russ, and Harden individually, but as a team they're way overhyped./

You're right, shame on them for only making it to the Western Conference Finals. Sounds to me like you've placed too high of expectations.

Baller1
05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Basically, Brooks is failing at the fundamental task of a head coach: putting his players in the best position to succeed. Durant and Westbrook are continually ending up in difficult situations and asked to make something happen. When they do, it looks spectacular, but Oklahoma City can't count on those kind of low-percentage plays as the bedrock of its late-game offense.

It doesn't help that Brooks regularly chooses not to take advantage of opportunities to improve his personnel with offense-defense substitutions. After Harden fouled out, Sefolosha was on the floor for the entire final 9:33. Though Sefolosha was having an excellent offensive game by his standards, the shooting of Daequan Cook would have given the Mavericks more to think about defensively.

The funny thing is that Brooks' stubbornness to change his lineup actually paid off early in Game Four. The Thunder's ineffective starting lineup finally clicked thanks to the unexpected scoring from Sefolosha and a big game from Serge Ibaka (18 points, 10 rebounds, five blocks). Oklahoma City won the battle of the starters by 10 points during the first quarter. The Thunder's starting five made a rare second-quarter appearance and then played Dallas even after halftime.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1730

allSUAVE
05-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Durants being exposed Dirk handled him by himself

sep11ie
05-24-2011, 01:10 PM
NOT GOOD ENOUGH LMAO

He's right. Its a bunch of young, inexperienced players. Notice all the mistakes/turnovers/ bad shots?

iggypop123
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
it was certainly stupid of brooks to put sefolosha out there when all he can do is shoot bricks. dallas basically zoned up durant and lived with westbrook or collison shooting jumpers.

wjmoffatt
05-24-2011, 01:36 PM
It's true that it is Scoot Brooks that's the major problem going on right now. For one they are good enough to win this series. Westbrook looks like his just standing there stalling every time down court but his waiting for the play to be ran, and it never works so he has to drive the lane, forcing a bad shot. He needs to play to each of the players strengths and call better plays. Last time i check Ibaka was in the dunk contest and leads the league in blocks this post season, why not run some pick and roll with him going towards the basket occasionally and ending with a result that Dallas gets with the Kidd to Chandler combo. Perkins isn't the best scorer so why have him anywhere near the lane? Durant wants to always just stand there and can't get off a screen, because they always jump the screen because the plays run so much, why not run more back door plays on his man, they worked to perfection whenever they have run them in the series. Quit running the pick with Nick Collison, he has a good mid range game, let him play the role of Perk, and Ibaka set the screen since his jumper is adequate.

x21x NiNJA x21x
05-24-2011, 03:32 PM

Exactly! N if Westbrook can't get a play off, Then the blame goes on him..Brooks needs to be fired

Crackadalic
05-24-2011, 03:40 PM

Maybe we trade Mike D for Scott Brooks and a 2 future picks?

Baller1
05-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Maybe we trade Mike D for Scott Brooks and a 2 future picks?

I'd take him as an assistant any day of the week, but never a head coach.

justinnum1
05-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Brooks is not a very good coach imp

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-24-2011, 03:55 PM
You're right, shame on them for only making it to the Western Conference Finals. Sounds to me like you've placed too high of expectations.

No... I didn't place this high of expectations. I give them props for bein so young and being where they're @. But they had an easy Nugget's squad, and an overacheiving memphis squad. I just find it funny, that when some of the teams start pointing fingers @ everyone else. lol suddenly Scott Brooks is the worst coach in the league... didnt he win COY last season? It's funny to me. It's kinda like Bulls against Miami, everyones pointing fingers... "Rose has no #2 option" blah blah when in fact Boozer is very capable of being a #2 option.

Bottom line is... Thunder, nor the Bull's are good enough.

Baller1
05-24-2011, 04:19 PM
No... I didn't place this high of expectations. I give them props for bein so young and being where they're @. But they had an easy Nugget's squad, and an overacheiving memphis squad. I just find it funny, that when some of the teams start pointing fingers @ everyone else. lol suddenly Scott Brooks is the worst coach in the league... didnt he win COY last season? It's funny to me. It's kinda like Bulls against Miami, everyones pointing fingers... "Rose has no #2 option" blah blah when in fact Boozer is very capable of being a #2 option.

Bottom line is... Thunder, nor the Bull's are good enough.

1. He's been one of the worst coaches in the league.
2. Ask most Thunder fans, they'd agree that he's been a terrible coach all year.
3. Coach of the Year means nothing.

Gibby23
05-24-2011, 04:23 PM
There is only so much you can do with a jumpshooting team. Even the jumpshooters on the Thunder are not great shooters. Durant is hot and cold, same with Westbrook, but he will also give the ball away, Sefolosha sucks, The bigs are useless on offense. Harden is good and should be the starting 2.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-24-2011, 04:35 PM
1. He's been one of the worst coaches in the league.
2. Ask most Thunder fans, they'd agree that he's been a terrible coach all year.
3. Coach of the Year means nothing.

Uhmm... Don't know what to tell you then.

rhino17
05-24-2011, 04:36 PM
the team needs more offensive talent

the offense is extremely limited when you have 2 starters out there for purely defensive reasons and Ibaka really has not developed much of an offensive skill set yet, its the tmac/yao syndrome, you cant be so reliant on just 2 players offensively and realistically hope to compete at the highest level

If OKC could find a way to get a guy like Scola who could provide some offense in the post, the offense as a whole would look a helluva lot better

Scottie may not be a great offensive coach but he is also not given a lot to work with and on top of that, Westbrook has been making some poor decisions as of late

Not to mention, Dallas is the deeper, more experienced, and talented team, the thunder could not be asked to do a helluva lot more, they are still incredibly young

KnicksR4Real
05-24-2011, 04:41 PM
they just cant finish

KnicksR4Real
05-24-2011, 04:42 PM
dont blame brooks all the time. ultimately its the players that are playing on the court

Baller1
05-24-2011, 04:49 PM
the team needs more offensive talent

the offense is extremely limited when you have 2 starters out there for purely defensive reasons and Ibaka really has not developed much of an offensive skill set yet, its the tmac/yao syndrome, you cant be so reliant on just 2 players offensively and realistically hope to compete at the highest level

If OKC could find a way to get a guy like Scola who could provide some offense in the post, the offense as a whole would look a helluva lot better

Scottie may not be a great offensive coach but he is also not given a lot to work with and on top of that, Westbrook has been making some poor decisions as of late

Not to mention, Dallas is the deeper, more experienced, and talented team, the thunder could not be asked to do a helluva lot more, they are still incredibly young

I always seem to forget about Scola, that'd be awesome.