PDA

View Full Version : The Lack of Blame on Durant

Sixerlover
05-24-2011, 12:45 AM
I've been a Durant fan since Montrose (before college), and think he is a superstar in this league easily, so I am far from one that "hates", but the more I watch this series and playoffs the more I am not understanding how Westbrook gets all of the heat.

Durant is shooting 2-20 from 3 the last 3 games, and had 9 turnovers today, yet all of the heat is on Russell. I don't get the lack of pressure on Durant, it's as if the game is never his fault. He also is getting shut down in crucial moments by Shawn Marion, and was by Tony Allen and Battier last series. Out muscling him in 1 on 1 situations leads to him kicking it back out to Westbrook, thus leading to a bad Westbrook shot. Then either Westbrook or Brooks gets the blame the next day. Imagine LeBron or Wade only shooting .100 from 3 in 3 playoff games, Kobe, Carmelo, Pierce etc. We'd never hear the end of it.

Am I going crazy or is the media seriously not trying to blame Durant for anything since the playoffs have began? I get the golden child thing, but superstars should get just as much heat when they play bad as praise when they play well. Just ask LeBron, Kobe or Wade.

SteveNash
05-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Westbrook is just the Thunder's primary whipping boy. You can't blame Durant because he's the second coming. Just like Boozer in Chicago or Bosh in Miami. You can't whip the prince so you have to overcompensate with the teams whipping boy.

BlondeBomber41
05-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Westbrook is just the Thunder's primary whipping boy. You can't blame Durant because he's the second coming. Just like Boozer in Chicago or Bosh in Miami. You can't whip the prince so you have to overcompensate with the teams whipping boy.

I totally agree.

Another example is Kobe Bryant. He had a pretty mediocre series against Dallas, but all the focus was on Pau Gasol. Nobody seemed to notice that outside of Game 1, where he turned the ball over twice and missed the game winning shot in the last few minutes, that he wasn't good at all.

Mudvayne91
05-24-2011, 01:05 AM
I think he forces up too many bad shots and needs to be better with managing the clock. There were multiple times late in the game when the ball would come to Durant off a rebound, but instead of running the shot clock down, he would chuck with only 3-6 seconds taken off the 24.

Westbrook and Durant are very dangerous to themselves and other teams when they settle for these long shots. If they're making them, pretty much unstoppable. If they're missing them, then a team that pretty much embarrassed Dallas on the boards will still end up losing.

Raph12
05-24-2011, 01:08 AM

Damn... I think... I might actually... AGREE! :puke:

poleandreel
05-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Westbrook is the scapegoat. I posted an article about this but everyone disregarded it because they take what the media says and treat it like gospel. This site cannot create their own opinion on anything and I dont understand how anyone who watches these games and is a fan of basketball can say that all of the OKC loses are westbrooks fault.

He constantly has to shoot bad shots because he waits 20 seconds for durant to try to shed his guy, who ends up not being able to.

Durant never cuts so he cannot get any assists. No one else on the thunder can knock down an open shot so he gets no assists.

Westbrook is a willing passer and I have seen it for 3 straight years. One series does not discount 3 years of being a good point guard.

Also, having sefalosha and perkins in the starting lineup puts pressure on westbrook to score because they cant and durant cant get open. so therefore, he has to shoot.

But people fail to realize all of this and will just say TRADE WESTBROOK HE SUCKS

NetsPaint
05-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Durant hasn't been much different than Ray Allen and Korver, except he has the advantage of being much taller and longer. He's good, but isn't THAT good yet. Needs to create his own shot a lot more.

ChiSox219
05-24-2011, 01:44 AM
Westbrook is the scapegoat. I posted an article about this but everyone disregarded it because they take what the media says and treat it like gospel. This site cannot create their own opinion on anything and I dont understand how anyone who watches these games and is a fan of basketball can say that all of the OKC loses are westbrooks fault.

He constantly has to shoot bad shots because he waits 20 seconds for durant to try to shed his guy, who ends up not being able to.

Durant never cuts so he cannot get any assists. No one else on the thunder can knock down an open shot so he gets no assists.

Westbrook is a willing passer and I have seen it for 3 straight years. One series does not discount 3 years of being a good point guard.

Also, having sefalosha and perkins in the starting lineup puts pressure on westbrook to score because they cant and durant cant get open. so therefore, he has to shoot.

But people fail to realize all of this and will just say TRADE WESTBROOK HE SUCKS

It's not just one series or the playoffs, I've seen it all season long. While you can blame his teammates all you want, Westbrook takes a ton of pull up jumpers very early in possessions and it's gotten worse as the season wore on.

Don't forget Westbrook led the league in turnovers per game.

Durant's the most efficienct scorer in the NBA and has been great throughout the playoffs. While a Derrick Rose makes similar mistakes to Westbrook, RW's problems are magnified because every wasted possession could be converted by extremely efficient Durant or Harden.

Oh yeah, better players deferred to Durant during the summer and he flat out won ball games.

WickedBadMan
05-24-2011, 01:52 AM
I've said it many times during streaks of GT's, "Ohh look at Westbrook **** everything up."

I love Durant but his 8 foot outside the 3 point line shot should count as a TO.

Yoshimitsu
05-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Sensed panic int he man

redsox0717
05-24-2011, 02:00 AM
The problem with Durant is that he thinks he is a good 3 pt shooter when in reality he is average at best at them

BUCSFORLIFE123
05-24-2011, 02:05 AM
ive never seen a coach with such bad sideline leadership like scott brooks in my life.. i dont know what he teaches at practice but they dont have an offensive scheme and as good as westbrook and durant are , its going to be difficult for them to execute plays if the coach isnt putting them in the right position bottom line.

its like im watching street ball when i watch okc play its pathetic

allSUAVE
05-24-2011, 02:23 AM
He's going to be exposed really soon I give it one more year

Extremely long Ray Allen

And that's not bad at all, ppl is just making it more than what it is

LA_Raiders
05-24-2011, 02:37 AM

lol, agree. KD is also loved by the NBA Sterns & BSPN

GoatMilk
05-24-2011, 02:50 AM

Extremely long Ray Allen

hmmmmm

Jacks3
05-24-2011, 03:14 AM
I totally agree.

Another example is Kobe Bryant. He had a pretty mediocre series against Dallas, but all the focus was on Pau Gasol. Nobody seemed to notice that outside of Game 1, where he turned the ball over twice and missed the game winning shot in the last few minutes, that he wasn't good at all.

Um, Kobe played well in 3/4 games that series. Pau, on the other hand, had one of the greatest post-season collapses ever. Oh, and Kobe was playing on a severely sprained ankle. Obviously, people are going to be more likely to give him a pass.

smood999
05-24-2011, 03:18 AM
i have to agree...i just feel like ppl just want to give him (and his team) all this praise and accolades that he (or his team) hasnt deserved yet...all he's done was win a couple scoring titles and beat 2 inferior opponents in the playoffs...its good but as ppl can see he has a lot more to work on in his game..i love durant im just saying, i think ppl ignore his weaknesses cause he's the new kid on the block, the new flavor of the month and he's very likeable...

and lets see how long before this thread becomes another durant vs......lol

Hellcrooner
05-24-2011, 03:21 AM
I've been a Durant fan since Montrose (before college), and think he is a superstar in this league easily, so I am far from one that "hates", but the more I watch this series and playoffs the more I am not understanding how Westbrook gets all of the heat.

Durant is shooting 2-20 from 3 the last 3 games, and had 9 turnovers today, yet all of the heat is on Russell. I don't get the lack of pressure on Durant, it's as if the game is never his fault. He also is getting shut down in crucial moments by Shawn Marion, and was by Tony Allen and Battier last series. Out muscling him in 1 on 1 situations leads to him kicking it back out to Westbrook, thus leading to a bad Westbrook shot. Then either Westbrook or Brooks gets the blame the next day. Imagine LeBron or Wade only shooting .100 from 3 in 3 playoff games, Kobe, Carmelo, Pierce etc. We'd never hear the end of it.

Am I going crazy or is the media seriously not trying to blame Durant for anything since the playoffs have began? I get the golden child thing, but superstars should get just as much heat when they play bad as praise when they play well. Just ask LeBron, Kobe or Wade.
check Lakers forum if you want a lesson in bailing out the golden boy and deststroying the chosen scapegoat.

xbrackattackx
05-24-2011, 03:59 AM
check Lakers forum if you want a lesson in bailing out the golden boy and deststroying the chosen scapegoat.

I know they are always defending Walton.:rolleyes:

nykobe24
05-24-2011, 04:12 AM
LOL @PEOPLE comparing Kevin Durant to Ray Allen smh

heathonater
05-24-2011, 04:20 AM
its unbelievable how softly the media treats durant. somehow all the thunder postseason losses were only because westbrook became a ball hogging pg. durant gets the best media treatment in the league today, even over more established players like lebron and kobe.

Joshtd1
05-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Because he is the next up and coming superstar..(or apparently he already is) to the NBA. People love him because he is humble/nice etc...I guess no one really wants to give him any blame.

I like KD, but to me is an athletic/glorified Rip Hamilton. Not that great at scoring 1 on 1, and is most effective coming off screens. Just his height and atleticism really help him out. He takes tons of bad shots (like ever star does, dont get me wrong) and IMO just really isnt clutch (yet). However since he is the great guy and golden boy, Westbrook gets the blame...which some is deserved of course. I know hes only 22 or whatever and has plenty of time to change and get better.

sventhedog
05-24-2011, 04:25 AM
you raised a great point. i think the problem is that durant is their main guy. so he's supposed to take the majority of shots. westbrook has talent but he seems to go out of control at times. and i mean forcing shots and turning it over when i say out of control.

they are the primary scorers on the team so if westbrook is taking shots, durant is not really getting his touches. durant obviously is a better scorer than westbrook. maybe that's part of the reason why westbrook is getting bashed more. he's taking touches away from durant, durant seems like a nice guy (as you guys mentioned, the next coming). i don't know if it's just me or okc is not using durant the same way dallas uses dirk. durant is a tough matchup so you work the ball through him like dirk. and westbrook is the pg who is supposed to make that happen.

Allstar21
05-24-2011, 05:42 AM
If you are starting a team right now and contracts are not an issue.....do you want durant or westbrook?

I think i would take westbrook, durant is a dime a dozen scorer who only occasionally rebounds

for durant to really become great in my book he needs to start rebounds and PASSING a lot better

If the okc bombers made it to the finals against the heat could you imagine him having to guard wade or lebron for 7 games? LOLOLOL he would get owned

he is only 22, maybe he will add 20 pounds of muscle on soon

Allstar21
05-24-2011, 05:42 AM
If you are starting a team right now and contracts are not an issue.....do you want durant or westbrook?

I think i would take westbrook, durant is a dime a dozen scorer who only occasionally rebounds

for durant to really become great in my book he needs to start rebounds and PASSING a lot better

If the okc bombers made it to the finals against the heat could you imagine him having to guard wade or lebron for 7 games? LOLOLOL he would get owned

sweet-d
05-24-2011, 05:55 AM
Well yeah of course westbrook is the scapegoat a lot thunder fans know it. ESPN just wants some controversy to talk about so in comes blaming westbrook. Well he has cost the Thunder games he hasn't done it so much this series though.

smood999
05-24-2011, 06:10 AM

no way this is taking it too far...durant is great, i dont think u cant take anything away from him..the problem is ppl giving him more than he deserves already and ignoring things about him

daleja424
05-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Same situation with Rose.

Rose and Durant have been about as unclutch as you can be for superstars in this round of the playoffs...and we have heard nothing about it. Only person who has brought it up is Colin Cowherd.

Its crazy. Lebron misses a shot... everyone criticizes. Lebron celebrates... everyone criticizes. Lebron sneezes... everyone criticizes. Rose and Durant suck for a couple games... NOTHING.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-24-2011, 08:06 AM

Extremely long Ray Allen

Are you serious??:confused:

blacknell
05-24-2011, 08:37 AM
I think i might be the only person in the world who doesn't like Durant and i think Westbrook does more on the court.
1. Durant doesn't play good defense he is no where in Lebron or kobe League there
2. He shoots way to many 3's and misses to many of them
3. He looks for the foul all the time and is a flopper (I hate this most in a superstar) I don't wanna see Lebron, Wade, kobe, Durant suppose to be unstoppable players floping all the damn time to get a foul it sours the game. Mike, Magic, Larry, Shaq, Dr.J, Barkley, and so on were not wasting valuable scoring chances looking to get floping fouls and losing the ball instead

BlondeBomber41
05-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Um, Kobe played well in 3/4 games that series. Pau, on the other hand, had one of the greatest post-season collapses ever. Oh, and Kobe was playing on a severely sprained ankle. Obviously, people are going to be more likely to give him a pass.

I'm not gonna go look up box scores, but from what I remember Kobe had 36 points in game one, and was pretty quiet the rest of the series. Even with that 36, he failed on several occasions in the clutch of that game.

Game two he had 23 I believe, a very quiet 23 on a bad percentage.

I can't remember how many he had in game 3, but it wasn't alot and in the 4th quarter he was practically non existant.

Then in game 4, he had 17 points and I think like 11 of them were in the first quarter.

Thats def not good play in 3 out of 4 games. It was 1 out of 4. Two of the games he got outplayed by JJ Barea.

midwestmadman
05-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Durant hasn't showed that killer instinct thus far, but he fancies himself as a team player, and doesn't seem to willingly put himself on a higher pedestal then his teammates. That attitude is great, but he needs to start getting that alpha male attitude so his teammates hold themselves to a higher standard. Michael Jordan was the most talented player in the league in his time, let alone the best on his team, he was also the most demanding critic of himself and his teammates. His killer instinct is what allowed the Bulls to win those 6 rings. If Durant can get himself in that mindset, then the success and failures of his team are all on him. As for last nights collapse, I can't bring myself to blame just one person, OKC had a 15 point lead with less than 5 to play, they all thought the game was in hand as did I since I turned off the TV and went to bed. Which is a metaphor for what the Thunder did. They are a young team, and they will learn to close out games this is a tough lesson but a lesson they needed and one they will never forget, this series should be 2-2 and they all know it. Having said that congrats to Dallas for playing a full 48 minutes to force OT eventually winning a game they had no business winning.

SteBO
05-24-2011, 09:04 AM

Rose and Durant have been about as unclutch as you can be for superstars in this round of the playoffs...and we have heard nothing about it. Only person who has brought it up is Colin Cowherd.

Its crazy. Lebron misses a shot... everyone criticizes. Lebron celebrates... everyone criticizes. Lebron sneezes... everyone criticizes. Rose and Durant suck for a couple games... NOTHING.

Can't really argue with this. But this shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Welcome to the NBA and it's annual occurances in regards to the star players. Rose and Durant are the known good guys in the league for obvious reasons. Kobe, LeBron, etc... always get criticized and bashed for a teams' failures, but it has definitely made them better players and better leaders of their teams. Durant, in this instance, hasn't taken that media hit yet but it will come in time. At least for his sake, it has to come if you know what I mean.

Hawkeye15
05-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Westbrook and Durant are the Thunder's only scorers when the going gets tough on a consistent basis. So teams can load up on Durant, and make his life miserable, and force Westbrook to try and score, hence why so many in the media, and here, are critical of Westbrook. Sure, Harden steps up occasionally. But in a tight game, with the crowd on its feet, can't hear your coach, who on the Thunder is going to score? Durant and Westbrook are the only options most times. Durant and Westbrook are both victims of exactly what is happening to the Bulls. When two teams of equal defenses, roughly, meet, the better offensive team will prevail obviously. The Mavs have more options, the better star, and vets who can step up and hit big shots. The Thunder do not. Durant can't do it by himself. And when you are being shadowed, and then double teamed the second you catch the ball from 23 feet, you are going to struggle to make big shots.

king4day
05-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Durant looked defeated as the Mavs came back. The next step in his career will be to become a leader. He's not one yet but I think he'll get there.

ddhulett
05-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Brooks puts KD in bad positions, He should be lower in the post when he get's the ball not 27ft out...He's young and will figure it out

mikealike305
05-24-2011, 09:43 AM

THIS. ITS CUZ THEIR THE GOLDEN BOYS. THEY LOVE TO LOVE, kd AND rOSE, BUT LOVE TO HATE, lEbRON

king4day
05-24-2011, 10:06 AM

This may be because it's both of their first times in this situation.
Lebron has been there and farther and has been in the league longer.

JuS ViBe
05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Brooks puts KD in bad positions, He should be lower in the post when he get's the ball not 27ft out...He's young and will figure it out
Or maybe KD puts himself in bad position because I remember throughout the grizzlies he didn't post on Tony Allen at all. Sometimes you gotta make your own decisions.

ManRam
05-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Durant has been infallable for the last few years. The media and fans so desperately want him to be the face of the league to the point where he can do no wrong. He was crowned this off-season, or at least most people/outlets tried to, before he had even accomplished any substantial team feat.

He deserves as much blame as anyone else really. Yes, Russell deserves a lot of blame, but him taking all of it is a joke. The last two games KD has not been great. Dirk has outclassed him all series. Your superstar has to play his best if a team is going to win, and he isn't.

ne3xchamps
05-24-2011, 10:24 AM

agreed 100%. Its never the superstars fault, unless they own up to it. Its crazy, but durant should be held more account for the thunder not making it to the NBA finals. This series is done, dallas will close it out at home.

JuS ViBe
05-24-2011, 10:25 AM
THIS. ITS CUZ THEIR THE GOLDEN BOYS. THEY LOVE TO LOVE, kd AND rOSE, BUT LOVE TO HATE, lEbRON
I think the reason ppl hate lebron is because he joined d wade and turned the team into a all-star team. Which makes ppl loose respect for you. I mean ppl expect Miami to win the championship since the beginning of the season so of course ppl are going to want the opposite to happen. While drose team is more of a one man team with good supporting players and KD team is a two man with no supporting players other than harden.

Slimsim
05-24-2011, 10:25 AM

I agree

Ican only imagine the bashing LBJ would receive if the heat was to blow a big lead and then lose in OT with LBJ scoring 0 points in 10 NBA minutes

ne3xchamps
05-24-2011, 10:27 AM
This NBA forum is ****ing ridiculous. Every damn thread has to be turned into a boo hoo woa is me heat ***** fest. All because every hates lebron. Well if lebron wasn't such a douche bag, he wouldn't have so many people hate him. Damn this forum can't have a thread about anything before it turns into heat/bulls fight. Crazy ****.

ne3xchamps
05-24-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm not gonna go look up box scores, but from what I remember Kobe had 36 points in game one, and was pretty quiet the rest of the series. Even with that 36, he failed on several occasions in the clutch of that game.

Game two he had 23 I believe, a very quiet 23 on a bad percentage.

I can't remember how many he had in game 3, but it wasn't alot and in the 4th quarter he was practically non existant.

Then in game 4, he had 17 points and I think like 11 of them were in the first quarter.

Thats def not good play in 3 out of 4 games. It was 1 out of 4. Two of the games he got outplayed by JJ Barea.

Love the sig. Hopefully you will be able to change it to the heat should those two teams meet.

midwestmadman
05-24-2011, 10:47 AM
If Miami pulls it out tonight Dallas can get some revenge to the worst NBA Finals every played in 2006!

Chronz
05-24-2011, 11:10 AM
And people want to say Tmac isnt in the convo with this guy? Now that you guys see just how easy it is to for a player to advance if he has the support maybe you kids will grow up and stop holding that against him.

This may be because it's both of their first times in this situation.
Lebron has been there and farther and has been in the league longer.

Bron/Wade were clutch from day 1 of the playoffs.

Lim
05-24-2011, 11:11 AM
the blame is all on westbrook because it should be. u shouldn't take 22 shots in a game if you cant be efficient. westbrook is shooting 39% from the floor while avging 4.7 turnovers!! 4.7! he has been awful in these playoffs. KD on the other hand, just look at his stats, they are about the same as his regular season stats and u could make the argument that he is playing better(i wouldn't, but yeah).

twoearl
05-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Wow! I have been saying this for weeks. Westbrook is not the Thunder's problem. The Thunder's problem is that they are all only 21 and 22. Their games are not fully developed yet...

Durant has things to work on.

1. he needs to get stronger
2. he needs a post game
3. he needs to learn to drive hard to the rim, stop settling for pull jumpers at 12 feet

Westbrook has things to work on.

1. work on his jumper
2. get his assists per game up
3. also get a little stronger

allSUAVE
05-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Are you serious??:confused:

Yes bandwagon, I'm dead serious.

Watching Durants game that's what I envision. Nothing special and eye opening.

LeBroom
05-24-2011, 12:59 PM
And to think jokers here are claiming that he's better than T-Mac and Melo. :lol:

Its easy to make shots when you're 7'0 with a near 8'0 wing span.

JasonJohnHorn
05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Its a team sport, so it is always unfair to blame any one guy.

The facts are this: Marion has a $#!T load of playoff experience with the Suns, and Mavs. He is, and has been, a great defender since his second or third season, and before that he was still pretty d@mn good. He has dropped off the radar for a lot of folks because he isnt posting 20/10 like he did in Phoenix, but the reason for that is because he took a smaller role on a deeper team to have a chance to win.

IF! LBJ gets to the finals, and I stress IF, he will find he has an even harder time against Marion than he had against Deng. They are both great defenders.

So Durant's game has been slowed down by Marion. Just like Jordan's got slowed down by Dumars. Durant is still learning the playoffs. Give him credit for already having won as many playoff series as Melo and McGrady combined! Durant and Harden are a big reason this team stole one on the road from a team that swept the Lakers. Westbrook has been playing good, but not great, and because he is a great player people have a high standard for him. Durant posted a 40 point game with 8 rebounds in game one. Westbrook was scoring his share, but he got more turnovers than assists than throughout the series. and his FG% has been horrible. Durant has been bad from behind the arc, but he's still scoring his points. Had a big rebounding night when he had the turnovers, so he's still contributing elsewhere on the court. Durant is generally getting more assists than steals, and he isnt even the PG. Your PG should have the best assist-to-turnover ratio on the team. It is the most important to take care of the ball at the PG position.

Westbrook is not playing at the level he should. Durant has been having a pretty good series. But you are right, everybody should share in the blame when there is a loss. The only way you win is by improving in ever facet of your play. But from where I'm looking, Westbrook hasnt been taking care of the ball the entire series. Durant only had one bad game, and while his FG% is a little low this series, he is still getting his points and contributing on the glass.

Not to worry though. This is good experience for this team. OKC fans have a good reason to be excited. They had a legit shot at this series, and could have easily come away after game two with a 2-2 series, or a 3-1 if the ball bounced a couple ways in their favour (though the refs have been more than favourable to OKC).

A WCF appearance for a city that has only been in the NBA for three seasons. And their core is still under rookie contracts or lengthy extension. This team has a very birght future and this series and season will be great for building chemistry and learning how to win.

No need to hate on any of these guys, they are all playing great.

koreancabbage
05-24-2011, 01:34 PM
the blame is all on westbrook because it should be. u shouldn't take 22 shots in a game if you cant be efficient. westbrook is shooting 39% from the floor while avging 4.7 turnovers!! 4.7! he has been awful in these playoffs. KD on the other hand, just look at his stats, they are about the same as his regular season stats and u could make the argument that he is playing better(i wouldn't, but yeah).

HA STFU. If Durant actually moved around on offense other than watch the game, we wouldn't be talking about Westbrook. Westbrook is put into a very bad situation where the offense doesn't move (that INCLUDES Durant) and the clock is ticking down, what are you gonna do? obviously hoist up ill-advised shots.

Durant's downsize is his strength: blessed with a great jump shot- which means loitering around the perimeter

29$JerZ
05-24-2011, 01:39 PM

This pretty much sums up everything

Guys like Rose/Durant who haven't been hated on in the media like LeBron or even Melo has recently for their actions of going to different teams don't get as much blame.
For a MVP Rose isn't really making a clear case he is one in these playoffs although you see the flashes, and Durant isn't being that Scoring champ that Thunder needs right now. But both get a clean case unlike other stars.

It's only a matter of time. Durant needs to really make up for his failures.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-24-2011, 02:39 PM
And to think jokers here are claiming that he's better than T-Mac and Melo. :lol:

Its easy to make shots when you're 7'0 with a near 8'0 wing span.

so now you blame the height, that Durant is better than Melo?:laugh2: