PDA

View Full Version : Sam Smith thinks OKC should trade Westbrook for CP3 and more

JordansBulls
05-23-2011, 02:46 PM
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_110523.html

Trade No. 2. Perhaps more than anyone, and for the wrong reasons, Russell Westbrook has become the story of the playoffs. No one has gotten as much criticism or second guessing, it reaching a crescendo when Westbrook was benched for the fourth quarter of Game 2 as the Thunder won in Dallas. There was all the talk during the Grizzlies series about Westbrook shooting too much and you so sense if not friction, an uneasiness between Westbrook and Kevin Durant. It seems obvious the Hornets should trade Chris Paul for Westbrook. I know no one wants to do any deal involving a star until the new labor rules come out. The NBA is negotiating internally as much as with the players’ association as many owners want some prohibitions preventing the kind of free agent haul Miami pulled off. The Dwight Howard rumors should be on hold at least until then. Paul has been widely rumored as the Knicks target, though paying Carmelo Anthony and Stoudemire under the old rules with a combined $37 million salary next season it’s almost impossible to see where the Knicks could have money no matter what contracts expire to recruit someone like Paul. Though many still believe Paul is no more than 50/50 to stay. Why not take a run at Westbrook, who is a star talent and clearly seems to want to be the main player on a team and not defer to Durant. I could see Oklahoma City doing it as Paul would be ideal with Durant. Sure, Westbrook has to be signed, but why wouldn’t he with a team he can be the principal player? Why take the risk of losing Paul? You can build with someone like Westbrook and certainly do at least as well as you did with Paul.

29$JerZ
05-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Thunder need a low post scorer as a helper to Durant/Harden
Trading Westbrook for Paul doesn't change much imo

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Westbrook + Ibaka/Harden for CP3 + bad contracts

KnicksorBust
05-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Win-Win. Hornets get a flashier, healthy PG who can handle the scoring load (which they need) and OKC gets a better distributor and a better player. A CP3-Durant pick and pop? Good luck Western Conference.

KnicksorBust
05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Thunder need a low post scorer as a helper to Durant/Harden
Trading Westbrook for Paul doesn't change much imo

Completely disagree. Look how close they are right now to a ring. Any improvement could be enough to get that brass. Paul is better than Westbrook and a better fit with Durant. The ONLY issue I'd have is health concerns for CP3.

Gators123
05-23-2011, 02:50 PM
CP3 and Durant? :speechless:

29$JerZ
05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Completely disagree. Look how close they are right now to a ring. Any improvement could be enough to get that brass. Paul is better than Westbrook and a better fit with Durant. The ONLY issue I'd have is health concerns for CP3.

I agree that Paul would make them a better team than with Westbrook but they'd still have the same problems imo. Upgrade PG spot isn't what Thunder needs imo. They need a more dominant scorer up front first but you can't go wrong with Paul.

iggypop123
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM
new orleans doesnt do that unless westrbrook signs an extension

twoearl
05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
LOL. Let me get this straight?

OKC is going to Trade a SECOND TEAM ALL NBA player who is 22 years old?

Why do people HATE Westbrook so much? He is a baby as far as maturity is concerned. Why do people want him to turn into John Stockton? The Thunder won a boat load of game this year with him playing just like his is now.

Let the Kid develop geesh. Everybody wants these players to be come perfect so fast. Give him time.... :facepalm:

king4day
05-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Why not do a trade involving Nash for Harden and other pieces/picks.

Move Westbrook to SG and destroy the league.

KnicksorBust
05-23-2011, 02:59 PM
I agree that Paul would make them a better team than with Westbrook but they'd still have the same problems imo. Upgrade PG spot isn't what Thunder needs imo. They need a more dominant scorer up front first but you can't go wrong with Paul.

Tell that to Jordan. Tell that to the Heat. Tell that to the Bulls.

La11
05-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Westbrook is one of my favourite players but he is too much of a scoring point guard. CP3 type of PG would benefit the Thunder. Also, another factor that could hurt the Thunder is if Westbrook ego gets the best of him. I read somewhere where he said that he is better than KD..

ManRam
05-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Durant, more so than most every other superstar, needs to be set up to score. The amount of his FGs that are assisted are astronomically higher than the likes of Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Rose etc. Who is the best, or at least on of the best, true passers in the game? Paul.

I love Russy, and think that he is a future superstar...but he is more of a scorer than a passer which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but with an even better scorer on your team who needs great passing teammates for him to succeed, well, that makes Russy expendable.

Sam Smith stinks though, and there is no reason to dig too deep into this. It's just one person's opinion.

gilly
05-23-2011, 03:10 PM
The 'hate' for Westbrook isn't even hate. He's a first option, a Rose esq PG.

CP3 is just a better fit for OKC (just as RW is a better fit for the Hornets im).

SP17
05-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Make sense for both teams as paul will surely be gone next year..

John Walls Era
05-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Why not do a trade involving Nash for Harden and other pieces/picks.

Move Westbrook to SG and destroy the league.

Don't think Westy is going to be able to guard the great SGs.

Hellcrooner
cp3= suspicious knees.

i wouldnt do it.

29$JerZ
delete

BradyIsTheMan12
05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
I personally think that trading Westbrook would be an over-reaction to this playoffs. If the Thunder can get CP3 for Westbrook and a piece not named Harden/Ibaka then sure, but that isn't likely. I'd stick it out with Westbrook, he's been given too much blame during this postseason..

Also, Hellcrooner brings up a good point. CP3's knees are still a question mark.

twoearl
05-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I really feel bad for Russ. He is the 2nd best player on the Thunder by 400 miles. If he dosen't put up 20+ points a game they will lose more often than not.

Until the Thunder put someone on that team that deserves 10 or more shots a game besides KD, then we can criticize Westbrook, but not now. All he has is KD and a bunch of role players...

knickerbockerny
05-23-2011, 03:18 PM
If you are a young player in the NBA its almost like a lose lose to become good. Westbrook should not be dealt... this rumor picked up steam when Chris Broussard was just thinking out loud on ESPN a couple months ago.

The Thunder not really need any additions, that is as complete a team that there is. They just need to mature, which they are doing rapidly.

mttwlsn16
05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
westbrook is not even on the same level as cp3

29$JerZ
05-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Thunder run their offense through Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Maynor

None of their bigs can score well to take pressure off the perimeter players
Even with CP3 they'd still have this problem.

Give the Thunder any sort of PF/C who can score well and they'd win a title imo.
It's hard to win solely on perimeter players.

twoearl
05-23-2011, 03:31 PM
And quiet as it's kept this is actually Scott Brook's fault. He and his coaching staff make their ENTIRE game plan around him and KD. They started from Day 1 in training camp teaching him and KD they need to be assertive for them to Win. But NOW all of a sudden he is TOO assertive and taking to many shots? LOL Combine that with the fact he is only 22? LOL

Of course he is going to play up and down. He is getting mixed messages...

knickerbockerny
05-23-2011, 03:39 PM
The only thing about Westbrook is that he is too selfish. There were 22 possessions where he came up court and did not pass it once, he did it 10 times in the 4th quarter alone. He needs to pass the ball, he has proven he could do just that.

Mc Uncle Cola
05-23-2011, 03:57 PM
ehhh why not ...OKC wants to win now even though they are young ..im sure they want to win ..gettin CP3 would def help..lol those knick fans would be soooo mad hahaha

GoatMilk
05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
go after Deron(i know, i know, would he sign an extension to play in OKC?)
at least explore it

Raidaz4Life
05-23-2011, 04:10 PM
One of those trades that makes too much sense for both sides but still won't happen.

rapjuicer06
05-23-2011, 04:11 PM
thunder trade westbrook for cp3 then trade ibaka/harden/perkins for dwight/redick

cp3
redick
durant
collison
howard

goooooood lord

Mudvayne91
05-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Westbrook's bad attitude at times and continual whining to the refs is where my "hate" comes from. Hell of a player though. I won't deny that.

THE GIPPER
05-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Westbrook for Dwight would be better for the thunder

Sly Guy
05-23-2011, 04:28 PM
heh, I don't think westbrook is in paul's league when it comes to trade value, but then again, stranger things have happened.

hgtiger32
05-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Could see the Thunder making a move for Paul or Nash. Then possibly signing Kenyon Martin to help the front court?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Westbrook for Dwight would be better for the thunder

haha Magic will never do that.

Kashmir13579
05-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Chris Paul + Ibaka + Harden + Durant = championships :drool:

Lake_Show2416
05-23-2011, 08:09 PM
neither team is trading 1 or the other, i hate Sam Smith always writing fictional stories with no real substance

i dont see how this is any different then someone making a thread without a legit source, he's almost at the level of the beacherreport

ewmania
05-23-2011, 08:16 PM
honestly thats a beautiful trade and i agree with the article

westbrook obviously wants to be the big fish and he knows that can't happen in OKC because thats durant land

chris paul, perkins, durant... are you serious lol

i also think westbrook could be really dominate in new orleans

x21x NiNJA x21x
05-23-2011, 10:49 PM
thunder trade westbrook for cp3 then trade ibaka/harden/perkins for dwight/redick

cp3
redick
durant
collison
howard

goooooood lord

How about trade Perkins, 3 1st rounders

Pg- Westbrook
Sg- Harden
Sf- Durant
Pf- ibaka
C- Howard

:D

MTar786
05-23-2011, 11:02 PM
makes sense for both teams. trade westbrook, maynor, collison and a first for paul and west.

paul/ nate
sefolosha / harden
durant/ harden
west/ ibaka
perkins

wowww

Giraffes Rule
05-23-2011, 11:05 PM
If the Thunder can be sure that Paul will sign an extension and the Hornets are sure he won't, then that's a good deal for both sides. Thunder get the best point guard in the league, and the Hornets get a legit number 1 to rebuild around.

x21x NiNJA x21x
05-23-2011, 11:10 PM
How about everyone stop trippin n stop worrying about Okc. They ain't gonna give him up, Remember he's only 22. He's still young, n Cp3 injury will effect him in the future. All we gotta do is get Harden in the starting lineup, n sign/draft a shooter, Get a center who can work on the offensive end.

So the lineup next yr be..

Pg- Westbrook / Maynor
Sg- Harden / Sefo
Sf- Durant / (Shooter)
Pf- ibaka / Collison
C- Perkins (New Center) / Aldrich

Giraffes Rule
05-23-2011, 11:15 PM
heh, I don't think westbrook is in paul's league when it comes to trade value, but then again, stranger things have happened.

A young player that has shown he can be the number 1 scoring offense has a lot of trade value. Not as much as Chris Paul, but if it's known that Chris Paul won't sign an extension with the Hornets they lose a lot of leverage in any trade. Westbrook might well be the best trade offer they get in that situation.

hineswardfan
05-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Cp3 Durant and Howard?

Ty Fast
05-23-2011, 11:51 PM

emeka

Silent
05-24-2011, 12:13 AM

Why don't you add Perkins and Durant since your being so Generous

Raph12
05-24-2011, 12:18 AM
That would be a great trade for both sides, Westbrook would have the oppurtunity to show what he's really worth without KD and CP3 gets to play with another Top 5 guy for the first time in his career.

LakersMaster24
05-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Durant, more so than most every other superstar, needs to be set up to score. The amount of his FGs that are assisted are astronomically higher than the likes of Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Rose etc. Who is the best, or at least on of the best, true passers in the game? Paul.

I love Russy, and think that he is a future superstar...but he is more of a scorer than a passer which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but with an even better scorer on your team who needs great passing teammates for him to succeed, well, that makes Russy expendable.

Sam Smith stinks though, and there is no reason to dig too deep into this. It's just one person's opinion.

Girl in your sig is damn cute ;D