PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Cavs offered #4 pick for Rudy Gay, Griz declined

Gators123
05-23-2011, 02:26 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/DraftExpress/status/72700341317144576

DraftExpress-

Heard Cleveland offered Memphis their #4 pick in exchange for Rudy Gay (w/help of their trade exception). Memphis rejected

GiantsSwaGG
05-23-2011, 02:29 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/DraftExpress/status/72700341317144576

DraftExpress-

Good for the Grizz...Smart move

Hellcrooner
05-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Should have accepted creating the cap to sign Marc to a good contract while adding a good young player fo rdepth purposes.

jimbobjarree
05-23-2011, 02:31 PM
give it to the jazz for big al

mttwlsn16
05-23-2011, 02:33 PM
id rather have gay than he 4th pick in this garbage draft

king4day
05-23-2011, 02:36 PM
I am glad Memphis didn't do it. They have a title window open right now and he's a big part of it. if he was healthy this year, they might be the West favs.

KingPosey
05-23-2011, 02:36 PM
good, thats smart. They would be dumb to do that.

North Yorker
05-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Must be confident they can sign Gasol with Gay still on the team, either that or they're waiting for a better offer.

ramz.n
05-23-2011, 02:38 PM
good for memphis, the player selected 4th isn't as valuable as rudy gay.

Hellcrooner
05-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I am glad Memphis didn't do it. They have a title window open right now and he's a big part of it. if he was healthy this year, they might be the West favs.

They dont have a title window.

1 they did perfectly well without Gay wich means they COULD use the cap freed to get DEEPER and Resign MARC , having a center that is not chopped meat is very important nowdays.

2 they wont do much better than this year with the core they have, some years 1st round others 2nd and some lucky year West finals but dont have enough to go beyond UNLESS MAYO AND MARC BLOSSOM and are allowed the reigns of the team ( something that will not happen with gay still around).

3 arnt there being talks bout a HARD SALARY CAP in cba negotiation? again, cutting Cap is a good idea.

allday823
05-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Screw that I would of gave the first pick are you kidding me?? theres no player in this draft with rudy gays caliber

John Walls Era
05-23-2011, 02:43 PM
If they wanted to trade Gay, they can get more than the 4th pick...

valade16
05-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Looks like the Cavs know who they want at #1. Also looks like they don't like anyone who will be at #4...

BrewPackBuckfan
05-23-2011, 02:55 PM
my guess is that Derrick williams will be there at 4 but the cavs want a player thats already proven and that can help there young pg there going to take in kyrie irving idk if i were memphis i would of thought about this because they could of really developed derrick williams into a good player with all the young talent they got on that team already. They also could of signed Marc Gasol to a contract extension.

iggypop123
05-23-2011, 02:55 PM
nothing at 4 can help the grizz. good move

SP17
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Should have accepted creating the cap to sign Marc to a good contract while adding a good young player fo rdepth purposes.

They have the cap space to resign marc as long as their owner permit to spend the same money as this season..

TheHighLife
05-23-2011, 02:59 PM
That would have been a big loss for the Grizz if they accepted

CeeDub15
05-23-2011, 03:02 PM
my guess is that Derrick williams will be there at 4 but the cavs want a player thats already proven and that can help there young pg there going to take in kyrie irving idk if i were memphis i would of thought about this because they could of really developed derrick williams into a good player with all the young talent they got on that team already. They also could of signed Marc Gasol to a contract extension.

Dwill will be there at 4? I cant see the Wolves passing on him unless they absoloutly love Kanter, which he is starting to grown on me a little bit.

Sadds The Gr8
05-23-2011, 03:05 PM
good decline by Memphis

Slimsim
05-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Irving and gay would had been a good start

Carey
05-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Worth a try i guess lol, I really dont buy into the notion Memphis wants or needs to trade Gay, They can keep their core intact minus probably Mayo, but thats another year away and Xavier Henry will be more established by then.

Brooklyn Mets
05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Rudy Gay > 4th pick in a weak draft

Chill_Will_24
05-23-2011, 03:31 PM
good job by the Grizz

CeeDub15
05-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I think people are putting this as a weak draft to early. We have to wait to see how it pans out in a few yrs imo. But if your talking about elite players, than yes, this is a weak draft.

Tony_Starks
05-23-2011, 03:44 PM
....as they should.

Hawkeye15
05-23-2011, 03:46 PM
eh, good decision by the Grizz, only because its this years draft. It would be nice to shed Gay, and resign Marc, and have money to get a little help, and a #4 pick, which is generally a good player in the NBA. But with the uncertainty in this years draft, this wasn't the best move for the Grizz. I would think they may listen to #2 for Gay, because Derrick Williams is a nice player for sure. But I also think the Grizz are coming off a high right now, and may be classically overrating their players at the moment.

Gibby23
05-23-2011, 03:49 PM
eh, good decision by the Grizz, only because its this years draft. It would be nice to shed Gay, and resign Marc, and have money to get a little help, and a #4 pick, which is generally a good player in the NBA. But with the uncertainty in this years draft, this wasn't the best move for the Grizz. I would think they may listen to #2 for Gay, because Derrick Williams is a nice player for sure. But I also think the Grizz are coming off a high right now, and may be classically overrating their players at the moment.

How so? Gay is better than everyone in this draft. This draft sucks.

CeeDub15
05-23-2011, 03:52 PM

Again, people are jumping this class to soon. Wait a year or 2, this draft doesnt really have elite prospects, i know that, but there is quite a few guys that i think will definetely be good players in the league, and guys like Dwill/Irving definetely have all-star type potential, and I like what i see from Kanter if his knee is good.

Derick713
05-23-2011, 03:53 PM

There's no way that Derrick Williams falls to 4. The Cavs would have to trade up for Derrick Williams. I can understand why the T-Wolves would pass on Derrick Williams. They already have Wesley Johnson, Michael Beasley, Anthony Randolph, and Kevin Love at the Forward positions.

The Grizzles should keep their team intact. The Grizzlies missed have a superstar talent against the Thunder. Imagine how good the Grizzles will be once they get Rudy Gay back. Hopefully the Grizzlies can afford to keep Marc Gasol. The Griz will probably lose Battier to free agency.

Gibby23
Again, people are jumping this class to soon. Wait a year or 2, this draft doesnt really have elite prospects, i know that, but there is quite a few guys that i think will definetely be good players in the league, and guys like Dwill/Irving definetely have all-star type potential, and I like what i see from Kanter if his knee is good.

They are not Good enough to trade Gay for.

Mc Uncle Cola
Grizz shoulda did it..Gay isnt a allstar and the guy is making wayyy toooo much money coulda freed up some space

CeeDub15
05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
^Beasley is good, but he is better fit at 6th man, and i dont think we are going to give up on Wes at the SG position, thats where he played last year, and AR/Klove can play teh 4 and 5 (klove is obviously way undersized at the 5, but he can still play it). Kahn said we will be open to trading young guys for vets, but it sounds like we are keeping the pick. Dwill is a very realistic possibility for us.

pd1dish
05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
in a lot of cases, id accept that trade if i were the Griz, but in this very weak draft class it would be a gamble

CeeDub15
05-23-2011, 03:56 PM
They are not Good enough to trade Gay for.

I agree, but it seams the Grizz want to unload him, and there are some prospects in this draft that i think the Grizz could look at. If they want to keep him, obviously there not going to trade him for a pick, but it seams like they are looking to deal the guy.

GoatMilk
05-23-2011, 04:04 PM
just replace OJ with Rudy and they'll be better imo

Chi StateOfMind
05-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Good move for now but "IF" for some reason that 4th pick turns out to be good then it could be a bad move. Most circumstances this is a no-brainer but this years draft class is labeled as "weak". No big names and that takes away from teams getting rid of their premier players for a "risk". I agree the Grizz should move Gay but for what seems to be the correct question.

Trade OJ Mayo to the Bulls. We need a starting SG ASAP!!!!!
And maybe Zebo can lend Boozer or Noah his balls for the rest of the series.

lilojmayo
05-23-2011, 04:15 PM
just replace OJ with Rudy and they'll be better imo

This is the biggest kept secret. It is ashame they won't feature OJ in their offense.

Lo Porto
05-23-2011, 04:19 PM
If the Griz can afford to keep Gay AND re-sign Gasol, then this was a smart move by Memphis.

The Cavs should shop #4 to Utah for Al Jefferson. Irving and Jefferson added to Hickson, Baron, Varejao, and Gee is a pretty bright future considering how bad things looked after "The Decision".

papipapsmanny
05-23-2011, 04:20 PM
any from the wiz that griz fans would take for him (outside of Wall)

Like 6th pick and something? Wiz need a SF bad

thekmp211
05-23-2011, 04:34 PM

what is your vendetta against rudy gay? or rather, any player on the team not named mark gasol? :confused:

they are going to need rudy's scoring punch from the perimeter if they want to become true contenders. this is a rebuilding move for a team that was one game away from the western conference finals. and especially bad considering the depth of the draft.

IBleedPurple
05-23-2011, 04:58 PM
id rather have gay than he 4th pick in this garbage draft

this

Jaji
05-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Isn't this thread a homosexual slur? Or did I just offend Rudy? :shrug:

Raps08-09 Champ
05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
give it to the jazz for big al

Will the 5th work for Al Jefferson?

Gram
05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
lol.

LA_Raiders
05-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Good move by the Grizz

jrm2054
05-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Grizz would be dumb to take that

jimbobjarree
05-23-2011, 07:55 PM

intriguing, you guys still have that trade exception right? If Knight is available, and we take Kanter with the 3 then I am down for that.

ewmania
05-23-2011, 07:59 PM
smart move by memphis, rudy is a stud

he'll only get better

Phenomenonsense
05-23-2011, 08:02 PM
No joke, they literally should've accepted and taken Jan Vesely for a slasher or Kwahi Leonard. Saved cap space, resigned Gasol, and be better off. Trade down could work too and still get a SF.

Lake_Show2416
05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Good move by the Grizz, Gay is a really good player. If they do decide to ship him out, I'd stay away from this draft when asking for assets cuz u wont get equal value

BUCSFORLIFE123
05-23-2011, 08:21 PM

the grizz were nothin with gay and someting without him.. hes a black hole on offense like melo

MrfadeawayJB
05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
good job heisly.... no way #4 is worth the player Rudy Gay will be next year. I wouldnt even take the #1 for him

Raps08-09 Champ
05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
intriguing, you guys still have that trade exception right? If Knight is available, and we take Kanter with the 3 then I am down for that.

Not all of the trade exception.

We aquired Bayless, Ajinca, and Johnson which took up about 5 million of it.

So it's at $9 mil left.

I guess we'd have to edit the trade.

PHX2daDEATH
05-23-2011, 09:53 PM
if you look down the draft there are a few guys who could end being better then Gay like Leonard and maybe Burks, but no sure-fire all-star @ #4 the Grizzlies were smart..I wonder what would happen if the grizz offered the number #1, Rudy is a good player but I think the Grizz are better off trading him because they did a lot better when the offense was running through Zach and Tony Allen was on the floor more..

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-23-2011, 10:19 PM
That was a smart offer by Cleveland but even smarter by the Grizz to reject the offer especially seeing that this is a bad draft class.

ohreally
05-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Gay is better than a 4th pick in all but the best drafts. Not often there are four can't-miss prospects. Maybe Hickson and the 4th would at least get a second's pause of consideration.

Hawkeye15
05-23-2011, 10:58 PM

I didn't know you had a crystal ball dude. There are apparently two players who are 2nd tier NBA talents in this draft in Irving/Williams. What the hell do you call Gay?

MrfadeawayJB
05-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Gay is a top 5 sf in the league imo....if you want OJ for the 4th pick you got a deal

nolin
05-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I would of actually accepted the 4th pick for Rudy. Memphis will have a hard time keeping Gasol. seeing that there a small market in all. plus they played there best ball without Rudy this year. So in the end this trade could of looked more like gasol in the 4th pick or rudy.

arkanian215
05-24-2011, 12:00 AM
They dont have a title window.

1 they did perfectly well without Gay wich means they COULD use the cap freed to get DEEPER and Resign MARC , having a center that is not chopped meat is very important nowdays.
Would they rather play Sam Young than Rudy Gay? I don't think so. I don't think you would either.

2 they wont do much better than this year with the core they have, some years 1st round others 2nd and some lucky year West finals but dont have enough to go beyond UNLESS MAYO AND MARC BLOSSOM and are allowed the reigns of the team ( something that will not happen with gay still around).And they'll do so much better with a rookie than with Gay right?

3 arnt there being talks bout a HARD SALARY CAP in cba negotiation? again, cutting Cap is a good idea.
So all teams should start cutting salaries without knowing the outcome of the CBA? smh

DwayneMVPwade
05-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Rudy Gay soooo much better than the 4th pick in this draft

Raph12
05-24-2011, 12:15 AM
How will they resign Marc?...

SP17
05-24-2011, 12:18 AM
How will they resign Marc?...

If they stick with this years budget they can resign marc for 12-14 mil if they want to..

12evolution 9
05-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Good for the Grizz...Smart move

word ... memphis has a playoff team... dont mess with it imo

Raph12
05-24-2011, 01:10 AM
If they stick with this years budget they can resign marc for 12-14 mil if they want to..

You haven't factored in the 20m/yr ZBo will be making (extension he signed)...

Gibby23
05-24-2011, 01:18 PM
I didn't know you had a crystal ball dude. There are apparently two players who are 2nd tier NBA talents in this draft in Irving/Williams. What the hell do you call Gay?

They are projected 2nd tier NBA talents not 2nd tier NBA talents. Gay is already a 2nd tier star in the NBA and has been getting better each year. Just because your team has the 2nd pick doesn't mean the players are better than what they are projected.

Dude.........

koreancabbage
05-24-2011, 01:26 PM
You haven't factored in the 20m/yr ZBo will be making (extension he signed)...

and maybe they wouldn't be able to afford him after the CBA anyways. if they could they could probably be paying taxes among taxes for a small-market team. This is Memphis we're talking about, not the NYK or LAL where taxes doesn't mean as much.

they just wanna see what's gonna go on with the new CBA before making a move and seeing if they can resign Gasol in the CBA before trading him off.

if they take away bird rights and other stuff, other teams with money will come over top

and p.s. being a playoff team in the West doesn't mean anything. they are not contenders.

Frantico
05-24-2011, 01:43 PM

I don't think so. The talent level falls sharply after 3. I'm not sure Big Al should even be traded for the 4th. The Jazz is young enough, they don't need 3 rookies this year. If anything, Big Al should be traded for a proven wing or defensive C.

ne3xchamps
05-24-2011, 02:11 PM
That just shows you how garbage this draft is. If it was a good draft, not great, they would be crazy not to trade gay for #4.

Tha Truth
05-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Horrible offer SMH

Allthatisports
05-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Would have been a terrible trade based on the talent in this years draft.

northsid3r
05-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Memphis is not stupid.

Phenomenonsense
05-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Trade them BG for 4th. Maybe even the 8th + BG :D

midwestmadman
05-24-2011, 04:04 PM
I am not sure it was as smart as everyone thinks. You'd get a 4th pick to address a concern and cap space to keep Gasol around, or maybe add a piece in FA. They proved that they can win without him, adding him back limits minutes of your best defensive players (Battier, and Allen). I agree that there is probably a better deal out there for him but I think the Griz played much better without him.

midwestmadman
05-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Rudy Gay soooo much better than the 4th pick in this draft

I stongly agree with this statement but it isn't just about Rudy Gay for a pick. It is also about a trade exception that would allow Cleveland to absorb Gay's contract and allow the Griz to have some cap space and not have to take back salary. That's the real bargin for Memphis.

Punk
05-24-2011, 06:41 PM
That is the worst offer ever. Gay is the 3rd best Small Forward in the West. You gotta make a better offer than that.

and maybe they wouldn't be able to afford him after the CBA anyways. if they could they could probably be paying taxes among taxes for a small-market team. This is Memphis we're talking about, not the NYK or LAL where taxes doesn't mean as much.

they just wanna see what's gonna go on with the new CBA before making a move and seeing if they can resign Gasol in the CBA before trading him off.

if they take away bird rights and other stuff, other teams with money will come over top

and p.s. being a playoff team in the West doesn't mean anything. they are not contenders.

:laugh2:

PSD always giving me a laugh.