PDA

View Full Version : Rose denies saying the NBA has steroid problem.

TheHighLife
05-22-2011, 09:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/05/22/bulls-rose-denies-steroids.ap/index.html

MIAMI (AP) -- Chicago guard and reigning NBA MVP Derrick Rose says he does not recall telling ESPN the Magazine that the league has a steroid problem.

The magazine's May 16 issue has a quote it attributes to Rose, in which he was quoted as saying the NBA has a "huge" problem and needs "a level playing field."

Before Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals Sunday night against Miami, Rose issued a statement through the Bulls saying he does not even recall being asked about the topic. He adds that if he was asked about performance-enhancing drug use, he "clearly misunderstood" the question.

Rose says, "Let me be clear, I do not believe there is a performance-enhancing drug problem in the NBA."

richiesaurus310
05-22-2011, 09:22 PM
If there is, who's on them? Dwight? Blake Griffin? Greg Oden (he's always hurt)?

DrDre94
05-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Too late Rose... what's said had been said. Don't take it back now lol

TheHighLife
05-22-2011, 10:03 PM
If there is, who's on them? Dwight? Blake Griffin? Greg Oden (he's always hurt)?

Probably Dwight, LeBron, Igoudala... cant really think of more right now.

Nate David+ Co.
05-22-2011, 10:33 PM
yeah thats about it.....

Yankeefan213
05-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Dwight, LeBron and maybe Griffin. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that I can see using PEDs.

JasonJohnHorn
05-22-2011, 10:37 PM
I believe Rose on this. I cant see there being a huge problem with steroids in the NBA. I've heard players talk numerous times about the thorough random testing. Plus I dont think steroid would be good for anybody's long term career. In baseball you see how many of these guys who use get injured. You cant get injured like that in basketball and have a career. Nobody wants to sign injury prone players. In baseball, you can have a fat slob playing first base or pitching, and all they have to do is be able to pitch once every few days or stand at first and hit the ball. In basketball, there is just more to it than that. I dont think with the athleticism that is required for basketball that PEDs would be a benefit, not to mention how thorough the league has been about testing. In the MLB, their union made it impossible to test effectively and limited the repercussions. In basketball the suspensions are rediculous. So if you dont get injured, you can missed literally years of your career.

As for the quote being attributed to him, who knows what happened. If he was in the locker room and he misheard something, if somebody misheard him. Maybe he was talking about sports in general, maybe he was talking about something else entirely, or maybe that quote that was attributed to him was supposed to be attributed to somebody else and there was a mistake in the editting of the article.

Rose seems like a stand up guy. If he said something, I imagine he'd have the b@!!$ to back it up.

Cal827
05-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Come on, we all know that the only people associated with the NBA are Heat/Bulls fan. Don't you see how they rage-respond when you question Lebron's play or call Derek Rose overrated? lol just kidding with the fan bases :D

On a side note, Didn't people grill Lebron on saying something on folding a couple teams in order to form other big 3s (I think he mentioned Minnesota), then denied saying them after some people got mad? Seems like something similar occurred here.

Gibby
05-22-2011, 11:49 PM
people are just picking the most athletic people. as its clear from the mlb most of the users arent star players. i have a feeling this thread wont end well.

thekmp211
05-23-2011, 04:43 PM
steroids? no. PED's? yes.

definitely.

no. doubt.

i'd like to remind you guys of a player that used to be in the nba. his name was rashard lewis. a few years ago, he was the second or third best player on a title contender. 20 point scorer, great three point shooter. rashard was caught using PED's and got a (i believe) 10 game suspension. after that -- never the same.

now i'm not saying this is the story for all NBA players. and i don't want to try and accuse certain guys (though i think everyone has similar players in mind) because it's baseless at this point. but i have - no - doubt that more than a handful of nba players use PED's.

the physical transformation caused by steroids is easy to spot. HGH and other stuff like that does not bloat your head and muscles in the same way.

at the end of the day, my stance on PED's is slowly changing. I feel it is inevitable both from a scientific and competitive standpoint that elite, professional athletes will use performance enhancing drugs. and, considering that the harmful side-effects of such drugs are being eliminated...it's hard to argue. in the nfl, roids and PED's are probably the only things keeping linemen alive and healthy. and, as above poster noted, most MLB users are not the super stars. they are fringe guys looking for an edge and a career. no reason to believe the same doesn't hold true for basketball players.

some day, something will come out and shock people about PED's in the nba.

Lakers + Giants
05-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Damn, Gasol is gonna get caught. . . :(

KnicksR4Real
05-23-2011, 05:20 PM
suspicious

smith&wesson
05-23-2011, 05:39 PM
i bet there are some in the league who use.

SteveNash
05-23-2011, 06:26 PM
steroids? no. PED's? yes.

definitely.

no. doubt.

i'd like to remind you guys of a player that used to be in the nba. his name was rashard lewis. a few years ago, he was the second or third best player on a title contender. 20 point scorer, great three point shooter. rashard was caught using PED's and got a (i believe) 10 game suspension. after that -- never the same.

now i'm not saying this is the story for all NBA players. and i don't want to try and accuse certain guys (though i think everyone has similar players in mind) because it's baseless at this point. but i have - no - doubt that more than a handful of nba players use PED's.

the physical transformation caused by steroids is easy to spot. HGH and other stuff like that does not bloat your head and muscles in the same way.

at the end of the day, my stance on PED's is slowly changing. I feel it is inevitable both from a scientific and competitive standpoint that elite, professional athletes will use performance enhancing drugs. and, considering that the harmful side-effects of such drugs are being eliminated...it's hard to argue. in the nfl, roids and PED's are probably the only things keeping linemen alive and healthy. and, as above poster noted, most MLB users are not the super stars. they are fringe guys looking for an edge and a career. no reason to believe the same doesn't hold true for basketball players.

some day, something will come out and shock people about PED's in the nba.

Rashard was caught using steroids.

Master Mind
05-23-2011, 06:31 PM
No one wants to be labeled a snitch