PDA

View Full Version : OKC vs. DAL Game 3 Officiating

MacFitz92
05-21-2011, 11:50 PM
The Dallas Mavericks obviously started off to a very strong lead, and OKC got back into the game, largely because of fouls. Whether it was a James Harden flop or Russy running into Barea and throwing it up, there were a lot of "iffy" calls.

If you take away the last 6 FTA Dallas shot at the end of the game (intentional), OKC had 36 FTAs to Dallas's 12. That's a 3:1 ratio.

So I have two questions: Do referees let teams get back into games if they see the opportunity?, and was that the case in Game 3?

KEEP THE POSTS ON TOPIC. NO BAITING WILL BE TOLERATED.

Chacarron
05-21-2011, 11:53 PM
The Thunder were attacking the basket a lot more. Also, Dirk was getting checked by Collison on the other end, playing good defense without committing fouls.

MacFitz92
05-21-2011, 11:54 PM
And yes, I know OKC is better at attacking, but in my opinion, the calls were out of control. They weren't being called on both sides.

But I made this thread to hear the voices of other fans, as I realize I am a Mavs fan.

k.smith904
05-21-2011, 11:54 PM
To answer your question: YES.

Tonight was a very blatant example of referee "mercy" on the home team.

CBCable
05-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Come on dude... The only thing weaker than complaining about the refs is complaining about the refs after a win.. We survived..

Chacarron
05-21-2011, 11:57 PM
The Thunder actually had more FTs in game 1 at Dallas than in tonight's game, so I don't get this helping the home team conspiracy.

k.smith904
05-21-2011, 11:59 PM
The Thunder actually had more FTs in game 1 at Dallas than in tonight's game, so I don't get this helping the home team conspiracy.

Nobody said biased officiating is consistent.

Far from it, actually.

MacFitz92
05-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Come on dude... The only thing weaker than complaining about the refs is complaining about the refs after a win.. We survived..

I just don't see how something as subjective as officiating can't be talked about like officials are perfect.

And even more, I can't see how winning a game takes away from bad officiating.

That was an instance of soft calls, but for the most part consistent (both ends) calls.

A 3:1 ratio is ridiculous.

carter15
05-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Dallas didn't attack and OKC did. Who cares if it's 3:1. Should Dallas have gotten BS calls to make it a closer ratio?

heyman321
05-22-2011, 12:11 AM
WHO CARES DUDE. Dallas won!

MacFitz92
05-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Dallas didn't attack and OKC did. Who cares if it's 3:1. Should Dallas have gotten BS calls to make it a closer ratio?

I was thinking more along the lines of: Don't call fouls on Tyson Chandler when he jumps straight up whilst Westbrook launches into him, and then maybe on the other end, call fouls when OKC is harassing Dirk and co.

gotoHcarolina52
05-22-2011, 12:14 AM
I know that so far this has been a OKC-DAL thread, but watch it turn into a "The NBA is rigged. David Stern wants the HEAT to win and that's why the refs give them all the calls" thread.

MacFitz92
05-22-2011, 12:17 AM
WHO CARES DUDE. Dallas won!

If I shoot a man and miss, is it ok?

Big Zo
05-22-2011, 12:18 AM
The refs are to blame for 9/11

gotoHcarolina52
05-22-2011, 12:19 AM
If I shoot a man and miss, is it ok?

:confused: If you shot the man, you didn't miss . . . .

MacFitz92
05-22-2011, 12:21 AM

I guess I forgot a preposition. Technically I guess it'd be: "If I shoot at a man and miss, is it ok?"

I deeply apologize for missing the preposition. Won't ever happen again.

More-Than-Most
05-22-2011, 12:21 AM

:laugh2:

Bulls_fan90
05-22-2011, 12:25 AM
I know that so far this has been a OKC-DAL thread, but watch it turn into a "The NBA is rigged. David Stern wants the HEAT to win and that's why the refs give them all the calls" thread.

Funny how a HEAT fan feels the need to talk about the HEAT in a thread that has noting to do with them.

gotoHcarolina52
05-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Funny how a HEAT fan feels the need to talk about the HEAT in a thread that has noting to do with them.

Funny how a Bulls fan feels the need to talk about how funny it is that a HEAT fan feels the need to talk about the HEAT in a thread that has noting to do with them.

ne3xchamps
05-22-2011, 12:30 AM
The Dallas Mavericks obviously started off to a very strong lead, and OKC got back into the game, largely because of fouls. Whether it was a James Harden flop or Russy running into Barea and throwing it up, there were a lot of "iffy" calls.

If you take away the last 6 FTA Dallas shot at the end of the game (intentional), OKC had 36 FTAs to Dallas's 12. That's a 3:1 ratio.

So I have two questions: Do referees let teams get back into games if they see the opportunity?, and was that the case in Game 3?

Stern need to make as much money as possible. If people think that 1 case of corruption and gambling with the refs is and will be the only one, they need to get their eyes checked. Until Stern is removed from office, it will never change. Its not just this game, it has been terrible across the board, throughout the whole playoffs.

Stern has had his hands in the pockets of these refs for awhile now.

ne3xchamps
05-22-2011, 12:34 AM
You heat fans are so ridiculous. And you wonder why a lot of people hate you.

Bulls_fan90
05-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Funny how a Bulls fan feels the need to talk about how funny it is that a HEAT fan feels the need to talk about the HEAT in a thread that has noting to do with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

gotoHcarolina52
05-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Stern need to make as much money as possible. If people think that 1 case of corruption and gambling with the refs is and will be the only one, they need to get their eyes checked. Until Stern is removed from office, it will never change. Its not just this game, it has been terrible across the board, throughout the whole playoffs.

Stern has had his hands in the pockets of these refs for awhile now.

Maybe it's not Stern, maybe it's The Walt Disney Company (ESPN's and ABC's parent) or Time Warner (TNT's parent). Or maybe it's the refs that themselves bet on the games. Or maybe it's the Illuminati or the Masons or the Knights Templar. Or maybe it's just the toughest sport to officiate.

ne3xchamps
05-22-2011, 12:37 AM
:laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Classic! Perfect post for this!

ne3xchamps
05-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Maybe it's not Stern, maybe it's The Walt Disney Company (ESPN's and ABC's parent) or Time Warner (TNT's parent). Or maybe it's the refs that themselves bet on the games. Or maybe it's the Illuminati or the Masons or the Knights Templar. Or maybe it's just the toughest sport to officiate.

See post 22 and click on link. enough said.

gotoHcarolina52
05-22-2011, 12:38 AM
:laugh:

Classic! Perfect post for this!

Nice leash, er, sig.

ne3xchamps
05-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Nice leash, er, sig.

I lost a sig bet. so what. I'm not getting dragged into this bull **** with you arrogant heat fans. I hate having them douche bags in my sig. Believe me.

gotoHcarolina52
05-22-2011, 12:44 AM
I lost a sig bet. so what. I'm not getting dragged into this bull **** with you arrogant heat fans. I hate having them douche bags in my sig. Believe me.

Not a big deal at all. Actually, it's quite a nice look for you.

Giraffes Rule
05-22-2011, 12:44 AM
The only problem I had with the officiating in the game was when Westbrook got called for a technical when Dirk pushed him first, but I don't think that was on purpose so it's not that big of a deal.

Shareeb_omac2
05-22-2011, 12:54 AM
The only thing that bothers me is the fact that since everyone cried about Dirk shooting 24 freethrows in game 1, the refs have obviously been calling the games differently. I just wish a foul was a foul and the refs treated every game as if they had no idea who the players were.

mttwlsn16
05-22-2011, 01:04 AM
/

AnalyzeNShoot
05-22-2011, 01:07 AM
There were moments where dirk didnt get his calls, but i guess that home court 4 you. Luckily Dallas survived. Though all credit to their defense their offense looked lost at times. missing wide open layups

MFFL==FML
05-22-2011, 01:51 AM
Not even the refs could stop the Mavericks. It just makes the victory that much more sweet knowing the refs did everything they could to give the game to the Thunder but the Mavericks prevail anyways. :clap:

iggypop123
05-22-2011, 01:53 AM
not the best thread creator with a mavs logo as his avatar. with that said ill take his over all the breathing fouls dirk got with his 24 fts. i dont recall people complaning about all the handchecking kidd did to kobe so why are people all of sudden unhappy collison gets to do it

Trace
05-22-2011, 02:41 AM
maybe it's not stern, maybe it's the walt disney company (espn's and abc's parent) or time warner (tnt's parent). Or maybe it's the refs that themselves bet on the games. Or maybe it's the illuminati or the masons or the knights templar. Or maybe it's just the toughest sport to officiate.

+1

Young2Kinsler
05-22-2011, 03:11 AM
I VERY RARELY have something to say about refs. The fact is, some calls go your way and some don't. I also think officials have a very tough job and do well most of the time. Tonight was simply not one of those times, the refs allowed Dallas to play tough D in the first half, and when the lead got too big, they called the game tighter, yet let Collison be physical with Dirk on the other end.

I'm not being a Mavs homer, I am far from it, ask anyone in our forum, but tonight was poor officiating.

NYtilIdie
05-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Lets just take out the refs all together and call our own fouls so everybody will be happy.

ne3xchamps
05-22-2011, 10:27 AM
The only thing that bothers me is the fact that since everyone cried about Dirk shooting 24 freethrows in game 1, the refs have obviously been calling the games differently. I just wish a foul was a foul and the refs treated every game as if they had no idea who the players were.

agreed. I think that's what a lot of basketball fans want. Just for the games to be officiated the same for both teams, not matter where the game is. But it will never happen until stern is removed from office.

alcajon
05-22-2011, 10:31 AM

Amen, it is good to see there are others who can see the ovious disparity in how the refs call the games. In game 1 Dirk shot 24 free throws. Had game #3 been called by the same standards he may have shot 34 free throws instead he shot 3. I beleive the league told the officials to let the defendeder of Dirk take more liberties. What happed when he tried to drive the lane? He was lucky to still be wearing a jersey. What happed when Westbrook made a move to the basket? He shot free throws! Net result, Dallas as a team shot 18 free throws, with probably 8 of those coming in the last 2 minutes. The Thunder shot 36 for the game!!! Dallas was lucky to survive. What happens in game 4????

knicksfan42
05-22-2011, 10:48 AM
not the best thread creator with a mavs logo as his avatar. with that said ill take his over all the breathing fouls dirk got with his 24 fts. i dont recall people complaning about all the handchecking kidd did to kobe so why are people all of sudden unhappy collison gets to do it

Funny how OKC actually shot more fts the game Dirk got 24 fts, I believe the advantage was 36-43. OKC always gets more fts than the other team always, the refs absolutely gave them the series vs the Grizzles.

Fargus
05-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Im sure Van Gundy isn't the first to say it, but I liked his comments on fining players for blatant flops. Be tough to judge, but at least a player will know the play will be analyzed after the fact.

gatkins11
05-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Im sure Van Gundy isn't the first to say it, but I liked his comments on fining players for blatant flops. Be tough to judge, but at least a player will know the play will be analyzed after the fact.

Well, Harden has had at least two big flops that resulted in T's for Dallas. It's absolutely ridiculous.

amos1er
05-22-2011, 07:02 PM
I used to like Durant until David Stern made him his new little pet. Can't stand how much the NBA is on his dick. Its hard to watch the NBA these days.

tredigs
05-22-2011, 07:03 PM
The home team will have the advantage concerning foul calls in ALL sports people. This is due to the fact that the home crowd intimidates refs and they will do their best not to be hounded by them on anything they see as a 50/50 or sometimes a flat out missed call in the home teams favor.

No crowds? No home team advantage. Regardless of where the game is played. This was proven over the course of a season in an Italian soccer league where 21 games were played without crowds what so ever. The statistics of both teams (passes made, tackles made, shots on goal, etc.) were nearly identical to those played between the same teams with the same refs with crowds in the stadium, and yet the general home field calls were once again made once the fans were back.

Soccer's the #1 major sport where referees can effect the outcome of a game, with basketball coming in second. In sports like baseball, they make very little difference in comparison.

What you saw in game three was the combination of home-court advantage combined with one team who is already terrific at getting to the line (#2 in NBA) playing against a team who is absolutely putrid at getting to the line (#28 in NBA).

Being that the Thunder have much louder, "better" (more impactful) fans than the Mavs, you can expect this trend to continue.

Has nothing to do with a "fix" or the refs allowing a team to get back into it.

Read this book as a starting point to understand what's going on in pro sports fellas: http://www.amazon.com/Scorecasting-Hidden-Influences-Behind-Sports/dp/0307591794

People talking about "Stern's pets", "fixes", etc. simply don't understand how sports and reffing operate. Educate yourselves people.

amos1er
05-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Not even the refs could stop the Mavericks. It just makes the victory that much more sweet knowing the refs did everything they could to give the game to the Thunder but the Mavericks prevail anyways. :clap:

Yep. The 2 wins OKC got on us last year were all a result of lopsided FT attempts for them....Mostly for Durant. Phil Jackson was right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=5101577

amos1er
05-22-2011, 07:18 PM
The home team will have the advantage concerning foul calls in ALL sports people. This is due to the fact that the home crowd intimidates refs and they will do their best not to be hounded by them on anything they see as a 50/50 or sometimes a flat out missed call in the home teams favor.

No crowds? No home team advantage. Regardless of where the game is played. This was proven over the course of a season in an Italian soccer league where 21 games were played without crowds what so ever. The statistics of both teams (passes made, tackles made, shots on goal, etc.) were nearly identical to those played between the same teams with the same refs with crowds in the stadium, and yet the general home field calls were once again made once the fans were back.

Soccer's the #1 major sport where referees can effect the outcome of a game, with basketball coming in second. In sports like baseball, they make very little difference in comparison.

What you saw in game three was the combination of home-court advantage combined with one team who is already terrific at getting to the line (#2 in NBA) playing against a team who is absolutely putrid at getting to the line (#28 in NBA).

Being that the Thunder have much louder, "better" (more impactful) fans than the Mavs, you can expect this trend to continue.

Has nothing to do with a "fix" or the refs allowing a team to get back into it.

Read this book as a starting point to understand what's going on in pro sports fellas: http://www.amazon.com/Scorecasting-Hidden-Influences-Behind-Sports/dp/0307591794

People talking about "Stern's pets", "fixes", etc. simply don't understand how sports and reffing operate. Educate yourselves people.

lol Its funny how people like you try to rationalize things that are in everyones faces. Only a fool would think that something that has as much $$$ going through it as the NBA does could not be fixed in anyway. People who drink the NBA's coolaid are either ignorant, lying or are on payroll. It insults my intelligence when people try to rationalize things that should be obvious to anyone with a brainstem. I bet that you would have denied that a ref could be betting on the outcome of games too until they caught Donaghy who by the way later admitted that the NBA was rigged. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/us_sport/article4116658.ece Only a simpleton would deny that there is no element of corruption on the NBA's part after an incident like that. Where there is smoke there surely is fire.

tredigs
05-22-2011, 08:24 PM
lol Its funny how people like you try to rationalize things that are in everyones faces. Only a fool would think that something that has as much $$$ going through it as the NBA does could not be fixed in anyway are either ignorant or lying. It insults my intelligence when people try to rationalize things that should be obvious to anyone with a brainstem. I bet that you would have denied that a ref could be betting on the outcome of games too until they caught Donaghy who by the way later admitted that the NBA was rigged. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/us_sport/article4116658.ece Only a simpleton would deny that there is no element of corruption on the NBA's part after an incident like that. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Here's the best part - the irony of your ignorance is that the the foundation of your argument (that there is so much '$$$ going through the league' that it must be corrupt) is the exact reason why I am so confident that it wouldn't be. The top professional leagues make absurd amounts of money regardless of who wins, and people like you will point to a "fix" regardless of which two teams are playing, and regardless of how the games go down. The countless amounts of series that go against your opinions are simply overlooked (LA Lakers being swept in this playoffs, for example).

The other reasons being that these same home-team/court/field foul calls are made in every sport, in every league, in all countries throughout the world. And this has ALWAYS been the case.

So it's either that you're right and every piece of evidence over the last century is random coincidence, or every sport in the history of man is rigged.

Personally, I'll hedge my bet on the side that I'm right, and the people on your side are the "simpletons" here. Conspiracies make for good Dan Brown novels, unfortunately they also make for hordes of idiots who fail to do their own research when something confuses them.

Do yourself a favor and read that book I linked as a foundation for understanding all of this. I am 100% positive that your position will switch by the time you close its final chapter.

sweet-d
05-22-2011, 08:25 PM
this page even has all the bad calls even the tech on Westbrook.

http://refcalls.com/

MacFitz92
05-22-2011, 08:46 PM
this page even has all the bad calls even the tech on Westbrook.

http://refcalls.com/

Unbelievable.