PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Considering Mike Brown

Tony_Starks
05-20-2011, 10:18 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers are taking a deliberate approach to their search for a successor to Phil Jackson, but NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com the team has added Mike Brown to its list of candidates.

The former Cleveland Cavaliers coach, now working as an analyst for ESPN, is expected to interview "soon" with the Lakers, sources say.

In Cleveland, Mike Brown made one trip to the Finals in 2007 and won coach of the year honors in 2009 before his dismissal.
Brown would become the fourth known candidate for the job, along with former Houston Rockets coach Rick Adelman, ex-Los Angeles Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy and Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw, who is regarded as the only serious in-house contender to replace Jackson.

Brown is widely regarded in coaching circles as the leading candidate in Golden State to replace Keith Smart. Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird also said this week that he intends to contact Brown -- as well as Adelman -- to gauge his interest in returning to Indiana, where Brown worked as an assistant before joining the Cavs.

In Cleveland, Brown made one trip to the NBA Finals in 2007 and won NBA Coach of the Year honors in 2009 before his dismissal following Cleveland's second-round exit to Boston in 2010 and LeBron James' subsequent departure to Miami via free agency

Im kind of torn on this one. I'm not sure what he would do offensively (for certain finally put Fishers old butt on the bench Im sure.YES!). But defensively I love the idea. He's a very good defensive coach and the Lakers D has been notoriously bad under the Phil erra. I think a focus on D is just what they need.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6570707

Wade>You
05-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Lakers need a coach that can command Kobe's respect. Don't think Mike Brown will do it. They need someone who's proven or gotten pretty close to going all the way.

It wouldn't surprise me that they've already attempted to contact Pat Riley. Not crazy either, they did the same thing when Riles traded for Shaq and the Lakers fired Phil Jackson.

Bruno
05-20-2011, 10:31 PM
All any coaches with a decent resume will be considered for the job. How seriously they will be considered is another story. I don't expect Brown to be coaching the P&G in 2012.

I'd also disagree with the notion that the Lakers have been "notoriously bad on defense" under Jackson. The Lakers have been a top six defensive team for four years in a row (2008-2011). But, I would like a coach who knows his defensive schemes and has the people skills to get the players to commit and believe in his game plan.

Tony_Starks
05-20-2011, 10:34 PM
All any coaches with a decent resume will be considered for the job. How seriously they will be considered is another story. I don't expect Brown to be coaching the P&G in 2012.

I'd also disagree with the notion that the Lakers have been "notoriously bad on defense" under Jackson. The Lakers have been a top six defensive team for four years in a row (2008-2011). But, I would like a coach who knows his defensive schemes and has the people skills to get the players to commit and believe in his game plan.

Well when I say notorious I mean stuff like they never ever figured out to defend the pick and roll. That's a huge huge deal! Teams that knew how to run it well would routinely pick them apart to the point that it was sad....

FriedTofuz
05-20-2011, 10:49 PM
He has a nice resume, but personally, i dont want him as the coach. Lebron is the only reason why cleveland was a 60 win team. I rather promote brian shaw to head coach..

iggypop123
05-20-2011, 10:50 PM
lakers considering lots of coaches to bring the winners price down.

Bruno
05-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Well when I say notorious I mean stuff like they never ever figured out to defend the pick and roll. That's a huge huge deal! Teams that knew how to run it well would routinely pick them apart to the point that it was sad....

I'd argue that that's a personnel problem, and not a coaching problem. A 36/32 year old back court won't be able to chase guards in their early 20's regardless of coaching. Especially if the bigs supporting that aged back-court aren't focused.

PrettyBoyJ
05-20-2011, 10:51 PM
lol why would the Lakers consider him.. he was clearly a product of LeBron.. Mike Brown isnt a good coach.. Bron could basically do anything he wanted on the cavs

Savage Sunday
05-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Would be a horrible hire.

I'm still saying the Lakers need to hire Mike D'Antoni. Kobe respects him highly and they have the Center down low needed to make his defense work.

I do think they need to go more towards an up tempo team instead of the slower pace that the Triangle required. Lakers looked much better when guys like Odom, Artest, Brown, & of course Kobe could get out in transition.

Savage Sunday
05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I'd argue that that's a personnel problem, and not a coaching problem. A 36/32 year old back court won't be able to chase guards in their early 20's regardless of coaching. Especially if the bigs supporting that aged back-court aren't focused.

Dont be fooled. Kobe has a lot more gas in the tank than people are giving him credit for.

Fisher needs to be on the bench. Lakers luckily will be able to grab themselves an actual PG instead of keeping Fisher installed only because he knows the triangle.

Bruno
05-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Dont be fooled. Kobe has a lot more gas in the tank than people are giving him credit for.

Fisher needs to be on the bench. Lakers luckily will be able to grab themselves an actual PG instead of keeping Fisher installed only because he knows the triangle.

Bryant has always struggled with his step the season following knee surgery. That is because he can't train in the off-season (while recovering for surgery). I expect Bryant to look great at the start of next season after having a lengthy summer off, and no knee surgery to prohibit his training. I'll be anxious to see how this summer treats him, and how he'll look as a 33 year old at the start of next season.

With that being said, even if he looks great he can no longer (nor should he have to) be chasing around smaller guards who are ten years younger than he is. Kobe's physical decline is more noticeable on the defensive end. His mastering of the fundamentals and footwork make it harder to distinguish from an offensive perspective. I agree that the answer is finding a PG who can keep up with these other young guys at the point, and to allow Fisher to become the heart and soul of the bench.

Tony_Starks
05-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Would be a horrible hire.

I'm still saying the Lakers need to hire Mike D'Antoni. Kobe respects him highly and they have the Center down low needed to make his defense work.

I do think they need to go more towards an up tempo team instead of the slower pace that the Triangle required. Lakers looked much better when guys like Odom, Artest, Brown, & of course Kobe could get out in transition.

If Lakers hired D'Antoni I would probably go to the Staples Center, climb up to the roof, and dive off! No thanks, our defense needs to improve not take a million steps back.

Sixerlover
05-21-2011, 12:13 AM
A lot of coaching candidates when the best guy for the job could just move 1 seat over and is already on the payroll.

Lim
05-21-2011, 12:58 PM
i don't think its fair to say mike brown is a bad coach until he actually proves he is a bad coach. hes got a .663 win rate, thats pretty good for the NBA lebron or not.

artest_kobe
05-21-2011, 01:06 PM
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no he is terrible

sjoerdje
05-21-2011, 01:29 PM
get adelman for christ sake!!

JasonJohnHorn
05-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Brown would be a good guy to have as an asistant working of defence, but his offensive plays were just awful. So many isolations plays, which require no thought what soever.

Bird would be wise to pick up Adleman, as would LA. Mike Dunleavey has always been a good coach in my mind until that Clippers fiasco. But his body of work, even his first couple seasons with the Clips was good, so I would understand any team giving him a shot at a head coaching spot.

If Brian Shaw does get the job, Mike Brown would be a good guy to help him ease into the position, but Brown would not be good for the head coaching spot.

Adleman was and remains my choice for best option to replace Phil, and best option for any team looking for a new coach.

Hawkeye15
05-21-2011, 04:02 PM
I hope they hire him actually. So we can watch the Lakers go home early every playoffs while Brown stands on the sideline confused that the other coach is making adjustments, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME! Ie, I have never seen a coach of a 60 win team so incapable of making simple adjustments when things aren't working, and have never seen a coach that wouldn't know a matchup problem if the other team inserted a midget into the starting lineup.

Mike Brown is an ok defensive coach, and wouldn't know how to run an offense if his life depended on it.

Daze9900
05-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Mike Brown + D12 is a good look. Don't sleep on step #1.

DoubleDragon
05-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Agreed. Thanks for saving me some typing Bruno;) They've had a consistently good defensive record. Without question.

Bruno
05-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Agreed. Thanks for saving me some typing Bruno;) They've had a consistently good defensive record. Without question.

haha, np. I get what the OP was saying. But the teams length, and ability to dominate the defensive glass helps make up for the lack of perimeter speed. Just not against Dallas.

Their defensive rating since 2008 speaks for itself.

lakeshow3peat
05-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Not saying brown isnt a good coach but not a good fit for the lakers .

The lakers need to decide which road to take here along with the captain of the team Kobe to approve it . We all know Brian shaw makes sense cause not only has he played with kobe but also knows the triangle very well . Thats if the team decides they are going to stick with the triangle .

If they decide to not use the triangle then get Aldman proven coach and somebody that kobe has said wouldnt mind if they hired him for the job .

Hawkeye15
05-21-2011, 06:07 PM
haha, np. I get what the OP was saying. But the teams length, and ability to dominate the defensive glass helps make up for the lack of perimeter speed. Just not against Dallas.

Their defensive rating since 2008 speaks for itself.

look up the defensive ratings for all of Jackson's teams. How could anyone say he doesn't have good defensive teams????????

Arguably (in my mind, its for certain) the best coach of all time. You get that label, by being a great coach on both sides of the floor.

Bruno
05-21-2011, 07:51 PM
look up the defensive ratings for all of Jackson's teams. How could anyone say he doesn't have good defensive teams????????

Arguably (in my mind, its for certain) the best coach of all time. You get that label, by being a great coach on both sides of the floor.

x2. I think that the OP meant to say that this current incarnation of the Lakers are slow on the perimeter. :shrug:

All of Jacksons teams speak for themselves, on both sides of the ball.

lakersfan01
05-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Mike Brown would be a good hire, though I would prefer Mike Dunleavy or Rick Adelman. I'm pulling for Mike Dunleavy because I think he is the only one that might put a leash on selfish prick turnover machine inefficient Kobeme.

Of course Kobe suports his buddy Brian Shaw or Rick Adelman. Anything that will continue him being able to hoist volume shots. Kobeme's comments about Bynum should get in line really piss me off. Kobe turning over the ball (always resulting in opposing team scoring easily) and shooting his poor percentage is good for him, all he cares about is career scoring list!!!! Bynum can help defend guys blowing around Kobe and Fisher all game, rebound their poor misses, and run up and down with his 285 lbs, but then get in line behind Kobe and sissy turnover prone Paula even though Bynum shoots 57%. With any luck Kobe and his horrible $84 million will get shipped off. He's a bad teammate and only cares about his owns stats. He can't handle any of his teammates getting success and attention. Kobe is washed up and needs to accept being PART of the offense, being that there are 4 other guys on the court! I'd tell him to get in line or he can be shipped off to somewhere he can launch ill advised volume shots. Kobe is just as washed up as Iverson and Mcgrady. Only difference is Kobe doesn't have a leash. Kobe's defense hurts the team even more than his low % and turnovers!!!!!!!!!

lakersfan01
05-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Phil Jackson's teams have only been horrendous lately because of Derek Fisher!!!!!!!!!!!! If he had any self respect, he would retire!!!!

Bruno
05-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Phil Jackson's teams have only been horrendous lately because of Derek Fisher!!!!!!!!!!!! If he had any self respect, he would retire!!!!

Derek wasn't the only player in the starting line-up who was incapable of effective permitter defense this year against fast PG's. He wasn't the only starting wing who was incapable of facilitating the offense or feeding the bigs. With that being said, lets not pretend like D-Fish wasn't important in going back-to-back; Bryant doesn't turn into the leader he became with out Fishers assistance and presence.

I would like to see Derek as the 7th man off the bench (getting about 20-26 mpg)

Chris Paul:

On Thursday, Paul was almost invisible. He attempted only two first-half shots and made his best moves when they counted the least.

Paul gave the Lakers credit for shutting down his driving lanes and praised, in particular, a veteran who doesn't often get praised for slowing opposing point guards.

"I think a lot of the credit goes to Derek Fisher," Paul said of the Lakers guard. "I told him after the game, it was unbelievable defense he played the entire series."

Kobe Bryant, though, was probably more accurate in assessing what happened to Paul.

"We didn't do anything," Bryant said. "He was tired."

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/28/sports/la-sp-hornets-fyi-20110429-9

TrueFan420
05-21-2011, 08:49 PM

jrm2054
05-21-2011, 09:41 PM
MIke brown should not get this job at all

nickdymez
05-22-2011, 12:41 AM

Well considering that Utah pretty much runs that offense and we beat them every single year in the playoffs, i dont agree with that

DamnGoat
05-22-2011, 12:45 AM
I guess if the Lakers are planning to take another step backwards then hiring Mike Brown would be a good start.

AnalyzeNShoot
05-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Mike Brown would be a Upgrade on their defense certainly, offensive they will go as far as kobe and pau take them

MJ-BULLS
05-22-2011, 02:02 AM
IMO Brown would be a negative hire. Why not Shaw?

Lim
05-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Mike Brown would be a good hire, though I would prefer Mike Dunleavy or Rick Adelman. I'm pulling for Mike Dunleavy because I think he is the only one that might put a leash on selfish prick turnover machine inefficient Kobeme.

Of course Kobe suports his buddy Brian Shaw or Rick Adelman. Anything that will continue him being able to hoist volume shots. Kobeme's comments about Bynum should get in line really piss me off. Kobe turning over the ball (always resulting in opposing team scoring easily) and shooting his poor percentage is good for him, all he cares about is career scoring list!!!! Bynum can help defend guys blowing around Kobe and Fisher all game, rebound their poor misses, and run up and down with his 285 lbs, but then get in line behind Kobe and sissy turnover prone Paula even though Bynum shoots 57%. With any luck Kobe and his horrible $84 million will get shipped off. He's a bad teammate and only cares about his owns stats. He can't handle any of his teammates getting success and attention. Kobe is washed up and needs to accept being PART of the offense, being that there are 4 other guys on the court! I'd tell him to get in line or he can be shipped off to somewhere he can launch ill advised volume shots. Kobe is just as washed up as Iverson and Mcgrady. Only difference is Kobe doesn't have a leash. Kobe's defense hurts the team even more than his low % and turnovers!!!!!!!!!

I agree completely. Kobe may have gotten LA 5 rings but if it wasn't for his huge ego he would have 8 by now. a 32 year old kobe is taking 20 shots per game in 34 minutes(ridiculous), if he took somewhere around 14 they would be sooo much better. stats back this up:

Kobe during 2007 - 2010:

50+ points: 2 wins 1 loss
40-49 points: 11 wins 5 losses (.68)
30-39 points: 52 wins 21 losses (.71)
20-29 points: 73 wins 28 losses (.72)
10-19 points: 33 wins 9 losses (.79)
0-9 points: 2 wins 0 loss

its gonna be interesting to watch the lakers and kobe as he enters the twilight of his career.

todu82
05-22-2011, 09:39 AM
With other better coaches available I wonder why the Lakers would even consider Mike Brown, seems like an odd choice to me.

MrfadeawayJB
05-22-2011, 10:11 AM
IMO Brown would be a negative hire. Why not Shaw?

this

NBAfan4life
05-22-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm hoping for RA or JVG as the next head coach.

Both above mentioned ^^ are supposed to be good with big men, and from what I remember JVG focuses on D

notoriouzzzz
05-22-2011, 11:02 AM

You sound like a miami heat fan.. why are u posting here.

DoubleDragon
05-23-2011, 05:31 PM
You sound like a miami heat fan.. why are u posting here.

He's a baiter. Most if not all of his posts are derogatory towards L.A.
Best to just disregard these posters trying to get a rise (IMO).:eyebrow: