PDA

View Full Version : I've had it with Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy on commentary

NetsPaint
05-20-2011, 01:20 AM
I gave them some free passes because they were on the Knicks, but I can't take it anymore. Every play, throughout the entire game, they take it too far. The last game they didn't do bad, but usually they're just too MUCH. Game 2 they gave me a headache. I hope they become coaches next year.

I like the TNT crew. Can they PLEASE switch up the ESPN crew? Where's Hubie Brown? Kevin Harlan? Somebody?

LionsFan..LOL
05-20-2011, 01:27 AM
I've never though I would be able to use in an actual situation that makes sense but here it goes: then don't watch.

jrm2054
05-20-2011, 01:30 AM
they suck

nysportsfan1025
05-20-2011, 01:54 AM
not a jackson fan either but jvg is good imo

gwrighter
05-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Van Gundy is a sick commentator

sargon21
05-20-2011, 02:01 AM
they're decent

heyman321
05-20-2011, 02:07 AM
I can agree with you on Mark Jackson, but wtf? JVG is the funniest commentator, not to mention he's like 95% right, second to Charles Barkley.

mbarajas138
05-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Easy solution: MUTE Button

ArmLaker
05-20-2011, 02:21 AM
jvg is pretty awesome actually but nothing compares to kevin harlan's orgasms when kobe mcgrady lebron etc etc posterize somebody

John Walls Era
05-20-2011, 02:24 AM
JVG is great. And there no need to tell people your feelings. Personally: I don't care.

pd1dish
05-20-2011, 02:32 AM
I gave them some free passes because they were on the Knicks, but I can't take it anymore. Every play, throughout the entire game, they take it too far. The last game they didn't do bad, but usually they're just too MUCH. Game 2 they gave me a headache. I hope they become coaches next year.

I like the TNT crew. Can they PLEASE switch up the ESPN crew? Where's Hubie Brown? Kevin Harlan? Somebody?

i personally think they are hilarious and they are my favorite commentators. the chemistry they have is funny since theyve known each other for so long.

COBY KARL
05-20-2011, 02:35 AM
are you really *****in about commentators? Mike Breen is the play-by-play commentator, Mark Jackson and JVG are the COLOR commentators who add onto the commentating so they have the freedom to say whatever. geez stop complaining, they're commentary doesn't affect the game.

rhino17
05-20-2011, 03:13 AM
JVG is far and away the best commentator around

Jackson is an idiot, almost as bad as Hubie Brown

Sadds The Gr8
05-20-2011, 03:15 AM
Kevin Harlan is on TNT...and JVG and Jackson are great.

SluggeR
05-20-2011, 03:23 AM
It's so obvious that jackson is auditioning for a coaching job when he calls games, it's kind of sad.

Fnom11
05-20-2011, 03:28 AM
JVG is a boss, Mark I can do without however. I guess theyre better than most

Gibby
05-20-2011, 03:40 AM
JVG is good. but my favourite are Kevin Harlan and Reggie Miller. Also add steve Kerr to that mix.

cubbie92
05-20-2011, 04:09 AM
Prefer the TNT crews, they're usually better at analysis and adding some laughs.

tmacsc2
05-20-2011, 04:12 AM
They are so biased it's ridiculous!!!! Riding dirks nuts all night!!

Aapox
05-20-2011, 04:27 AM
I totally agree with you, some of the basketball things they say are completely absurd. I'll say JVG is decent though, and he's pretty funny.

TNT broadcasters all the way, especially the pre-game and halftime shows with Chuck Kenny and EJ.

I don't even know how anyone can say anything bad about Hubie Brown. The guy is practically on his deathbed and he's still sharing his lifelong knowledge of basketball with fans through broadcasting.

WHODAT8o8
05-20-2011, 04:35 AM
are you really *****in about commentators? Mike Breen is the play-by-play commentator, Mark Jackson and JVG are the COLOR commentators who add onto the commentating so they have the freedom to say whatever. geez stop complaining, they're commentary doesn't affect the game.

Exactly, why do you care so much about the commentary. You watch to watch the game not listen to the commentary (most of the time). You obvioisly are more interested in the commentary than the game.

ChiSox219
05-20-2011, 05:10 AM
I do not like either. From a basketball standpoint JVG isn't bad but some of the things he says makes me wonder if he's all there and I'm not surprised he hasn't been able to land a job. Those awkward exchanges they have need to end.

Steve Kerr and Marv Albert on the other hand, I've gone out for the first two games of the ECF and I made sure beforehand that the places had audio.

NetsPaint
05-20-2011, 05:29 AM
Exactly, why do you care so much about the commentary. You watch to watch the game not listen to the commentary (most of the time). You obvioisly are more interested in the commentary than the game.
The game is more important, but that doesn't mean hearing a joke in an intense part of a game is gonna go unnoticed. It seems they care more about jokes then the game sometimes.

JNA17
05-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Jvg is kind of decent despite the fact he loves some heat. Mark can go away though

Patman
05-20-2011, 06:58 AM
I have to agree with the OP Jackson and JvG should not moderate toghether. I'm hoping for a coaching job for JVG, so i don't have to listen to his bs. JVG and Jackson should be able to give good insight, but the only thing they do is crack jokes, or make outlandish statements about the game. They were funny for the 1st 6 months or so now they just crack the same lame jokes every game. Give me hubbie any day at least he gives some insight.

Raidaz4Life
05-20-2011, 07:32 AM
I love me some JVG and Mark Jackson.

Along with Mike Breen.... I watch games just to listen to those three commentate.

KnicksR4Real
05-20-2011, 07:38 AM
I love them with Mike Breen, the other guys suck. I hate TNT's crew.

nycsports2
05-20-2011, 07:47 AM
lol i thnk there great

daleja424
05-20-2011, 08:11 AM
WAYYYYY better than Reggie Miller. That guy is riding the Bulls jock so hard it makes the telecast nearly unwatchable.

magichatnumber9
05-20-2011, 08:25 AM
the problem is they are to busy self promoting with there catch phrases and over the top dialogue

justinnum1
05-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Id rather listen to them than reggie and kerr. Kerr is a bulls homer and reggie hates the heat since forever.

i might have to put it on mute and listen to hubie and tirico in the espn radio

king4day
05-20-2011, 09:10 AM

What did they do wrong?

Big Zo
05-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Steve Kerr has had no problem showing off his blatant homerism this series.

LongWayFromHome
05-20-2011, 11:55 AM
I think Van Gundy is good - Marc Jackson was soooo stupid last night continuing to dis Brooks for not putting Westbrook back in. It was obviously a great decision.

uptownfan
05-20-2011, 12:09 PM
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't mind who the commentators or analysts are (except for Dick Stockton). I usually just get zoned into watching the game and the commentary at that point doesn't concern me too much.

DeyAce
05-20-2011, 12:14 PM
I like them way better than Hubie and Terrico

Da Knicks
05-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Momma der goes dat man!

SoxBearsBulls!
05-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Id rather listen to them than reggie and kerr. Kerr is a bulls homer and reggie hates the heat since forever.

i might have to put it on mute and listen to hubie and tirico in the espn radio

Everyone outside of Miami hates the Heat, don't you already know that?:p

Purple&Gold24
05-20-2011, 12:42 PM
I've never though I would be able to use in an actual situation that makes sense but here it goes: then don't watch.

:nod:

LongWayFromHome
05-20-2011, 12:45 PM
p

ManRam
05-20-2011, 12:47 PM
I like Breen and JVG a ton. Mark is OK.

There are certainly worse. They are all knowledgeable and they always tell it how it is. They don't filter much, and I like that. Perfect mix of entertainment, insight and commentary.

mttwlsn16
05-20-2011, 01:03 PM
better than if we had to listen to jalen rose. he is AWFUL

Azzacadabra
05-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Well for people who ***** about commentary I'd like to see you guys get in the booth and call the game. I'd expect amazing commentary and no mess ups.

Double_R
05-20-2011, 01:11 PM
I can't stand either of them, but the fact is that I really am not a fan of many sports commentators. JVG is the worst though in my book, he says the most outlandish things ever, then has to retract them 5 seconds later, dude has no filter and is obviously jealous of his brother, any successful coach, even some of the players; he comes off as desperate and embarrassing with his failed attempts at humor while being green with envy IMO. Now Mark Wackson, he is a moron, but I kind of like him and at the end of the day there aren't very many good ones, so I can deal with him.

Like I said before, there isn't that many good ones, but I loathe JVG.

Tha Truth
05-20-2011, 01:13 PM
I like both of them. They're entertaining too.

Mark Jackson quotes:

"Mama there goes that man"

"Hand down, man down"

You gotta love it.

ManRam
05-20-2011, 01:16 PM
I can't stand either of them, but the fact is that I really am not a fan of many sports commentators. JVG is the worst though in my book, he says the most outlandish things ever, then has to retract them 5 seconds later, dude has no filter and is obviously jealous of his brother, any successful coach, even some of the players; he comes off as desperate and embarrassing with his failed attempts at humor while being green with envy IMO. Now Mark Wackson, he is a moron, but I kind of like him and at the end of the day there aren't very many good ones, so I can deal with him.

Like I said before, there isn't that many good ones, but I loathe JVG.

I do agree that he is unfairly harsh on the Magic. Not sure if it's jealousy, but he clearly hasn't ever liked them much at all...

Gibby23
05-20-2011, 01:34 PM
I do agree that he is unfairly harsh on the Magic. Not sure if it's jealousy, but he clearly hasn't ever liked them much at all...

He's only harsh on the Magic when the shoot a bunch of 3's and don't look to Howard.

Mishmin
05-20-2011, 01:44 PM
There's one thing about Mark Jackson's dialogue really bothers me. He can't speak a sentence without saying "When you're talking about _______."

Example: Breen- "Is Ray Allen over the hill?"
Jackson- "Well you talk about Ray Allen, you talk about a knockdown shooter."

Listen for it, he says it about a hundred times a game. It aggrevates the **** out of me. Just say "he's a knockdown shooter".

However, I am a fan of "Mama there goes that man"

Underrated Wade
05-20-2011, 01:46 PM
It should be jeff van gundy, reggie miller, marv albert, and charles barkley. That would be the best commentating EVER

benzni
05-20-2011, 01:53 PM
another useless thread by the guy who likes the knicks and nets :confused::confused::speechless:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-20-2011, 01:54 PM
JVG is great. And there no need to tell people your feelings. Personally: I don't care.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHQ :laugh:

ShiroRX
05-20-2011, 02:08 PM
I try to make the best of it and mock Mark Jackson at every opportunity.

Whenever I see lebron or wade drive the lane for a foul or basket...they're *mark jackson accent* FORESING THEEE ISSSUEE

or everyone's favorite

*mark jackson accent* MOMMA THURR GOES DAT MAN!

MSG34
05-20-2011, 02:10 PM
It's so obvious that jackson is auditioning for a coaching job when he calls games, it's kind of sad.

So true :laugh2:

The Final Boss
05-20-2011, 02:24 PM
www.thendontwatch.com

championships
05-20-2011, 02:33 PM
They sound fine to me.

championships
05-20-2011, 02:38 PM
JVG is far and away the best commentator around

Jackson is an idiot, almost as bad as Hubie Brown

Hubie breaks down what happened and what play was ran before the replay even shows us anything. He knows what he is talking about.

SoxBearsBulls!
05-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Hubie breaks down what happened and what play was ran before the replay even shows us anything. He knows what he is talking about.

This

I like JVG, he's funny.

THINKBLUE15
05-20-2011, 02:52 PM

What are you talking about? He cares because he cares. It is an internet forum. Share opinions and discuss various things in and around the NBA.

Commentary is a profession. These guys are professionals at what they do. They are there for a reason. They are reporters, anylists, and, to some degree, entertainers. If it didn't matter what the commentary sounded like they would let anybody do it.

Play-by-play and color commentary is an art and very important. It creates a distinct mood and tone to a game (just to scratch the surface).

The OP has every right to express his opinion and critique the commentators. These guys are national broadcasters for the NBA. They narrate the game on television. They should be critiqued. Of course the actual game is more important. But that doesn't mean the broadcast doesn't matter. Every single thing that goes into a broadcast is important.

With that said, I like Breen and JVG. I can do without Jackson but he isn't horrible or anything.

sep11ie
05-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Yea, I really hate when people are like really really really good at their jobs too.

ShiroRX
05-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Can Shaq replace c-webb or kenny smith on tnt? Kenny looks like he's gonna drop from exhaustion running back from that giant screen to the desk.

MrfadeawayJB
05-20-2011, 05:51 PM
IMO

TNT commentators> Espn commentators

NBAfan4life
05-20-2011, 06:08 PM
They are far and away better then reggie miller.

mgsports
05-20-2011, 06:20 PM
But at least TNT Studio crew is live at Eastern Conference Finals and ESPN isn't and NBATV won't send Crew live to each one.

bsamet
05-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Actually cheering for Van Gundy to get LA job just so he wont commentate any more. He talks about the dumbest things, and shows favorites way too much. Jackson seems to just respond to him. I actually kind of like Reggie Miller, he may be an ego, but atleast he sticks to the game and doesnt feel like he has to talk about the dumbest things.

Wade>You
05-20-2011, 07:01 PM
All nat'l broadcast commentators suck. Especially TNT.

NetsPaint
05-20-2011, 07:14 PM
What are you talking about? He cares because he cares. It is an internet forum. Share opinions and discuss various things in and around the NBA.

Commentary is a profession. These guys are professionals at what they do. They are there for a reason. They are reporters, anylists, and, to some degree, entertainers. If it didn't matter what the commentary sounded like they would let anybody do it.

Play-by-play and color commentary is an art and very important. It creates a distinct mood and tone to a game (just to scratch the surface).

The OP has every right to express his opinion and critique the commentators. These guys are national broadcasters for the NBA. They narrate the game on television. They should be critiqued. Of course the actual game is more important. But that doesn't mean the broadcast doesn't matter. Every single thing that goes into a broadcast is important.

With that said, I like Breen and JVG. I can do without Jackson but he isn't horrible or anything.
Yes, exactly.

Also to add on to that, I like to gain insight on basketball too. Walt Frazier has taught me several things.

JVG and Jackson emphasizes and exaggerates plays, players, etc. too much for me. They're not the worst, but their too distracting. To me I can see them appealing to more of a kids audience or people who don't mind a lot of humor and phrases. They're not bad for the regular season, but for the Playoffs and Finals, I'd only keep Mike Breen. His reactions are a lot more natural to me.

Steve Kerr, I haven't noticed the homerism, so I'm not gonna comment on that, but he sounds serious and analyzes things better and more natural. I like Reggie Miller a lot as a commentator too (and I hated him as a player so no bias there).

For anyone who watches wrestling and hears Michael Cole, they'd know how bad commentary could be rage inducing.

TO Rapz
05-20-2011, 07:21 PM
JAckson isnt great, but JVG is funny. I remember when they were talking about how JJ Barea is like the Puerto Rican Allen Iverson, and JVG's like, what are you guys talking about? Im almost positive he goes to practice.

76erEaglePhils
05-20-2011, 07:30 PM
I personally love these guys Van Gundy is a complete idiot and, Jackson is very smart basketball savvy guy who has to get in Van Gundys *** for being such a moron. If you listen to these two guys go back and forth it's completely hilarious because Jackson smashes Van Gundy almost everytime.

ne3xchamps
05-20-2011, 07:34 PM
the problem is they are to busy self promoting with there catch phrases and over the top dialogue

this. they don't care what is happening in the game, so I don't give a **** what they are talking about. plain and simple.

rhino17
05-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I personally love these guys Van Gundy is a complete idiot and, Jackson is very smart basketball savvy guy who has to get in Van Gundys *** for being such a moron. If you listen to these two guys go back and forth it's completely hilarious because Jackson smashes Van Gundy almost everytime.

you must mean the opposite, Mark Jackson is an utter moron while JVG is a genius

76erEaglePhils
05-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Please sombody get rid of Jalen Rose I can't stand listening to that dumbass he makes me sick. I was hoping they would have fired him for his drunk driving incident. He's easily the worst pre and post game announcer there is.

76erEaglePhils
05-20-2011, 07:40 PM
you must mean the opposite, Mark Jackson is an utter moron while JVG is a geniusI don't know what the hell your watching.

Tony_Starks
05-20-2011, 08:44 PM
I personally think they're the best duo. JVG tells it like it is and isn't afraid to speak up and say that was a horrible call. He's also very knowledgable when it comes to defense. Mark knows his stuff more from the player side and he's still young enough to relate.

Also the random convo's they have when Mark has to check him are pretty hilarious.

fishfan79
05-20-2011, 09:04 PM
sorta thought they were better then tnt

hgtiger32
05-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I wasn't a big JVG fan because of how he called the series that his brother was coaching in. But now, I can tolerate him a little bit more but im honestly still not that big of a JVG fan. Mark Jackson, eh...nothing special

NetsPaint
05-20-2011, 09:50 PM
They need to move back to NBC for Bob Costas and the theme.

albertc86
05-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Mark Jackson is trying too hard as though he's trying to really push for a coaching gig.

tonyd3b54
05-20-2011, 09:54 PM
it is statistically proven that watching the espn crew for any sport lowers your iq

JasonJohnHorn
05-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Jackson, I'm okay with. Vangundy, not so much. I hate how he b!tches about calls late in the game: "That is not a foul with 3- seconds left!" He says $#!T like that and I'm like: WTF? Are they supposed to call that as a foul for 46 minutes and then give a free pass? It makes no sense.

But Jackson, I like his commentary, but I think Gundy pulls out the worst in him. He takes away from Jackson I think. They have a friendship, and it is one where Jackson is a little to polite to his former coach and doesnt ignore him at times when he should.

The half-time crew: Kenny Smith would be great in play-by-play. Barkley not so much. He's entertaing in small doses. I think Webber could be a great play-by-play. Magic, not so much. EJ might work out. But I love them as they are, I'd hate to break up the team. But they really need to take McHale out of there. I remember Barkley and Smith talking about the Celtics and Barkley said Peirce wasnt in the top ten Celtics all time, and Barkley put McHale in the top ten, but Kenny was disagreeing and said that Pierce was a top ten Celtic all time, but wouldnt come out and say: LOOK, McHale, you aint got $#!T on Pierce. But he agree that everybody BUT McHale was better than, or as good as Pierce, but then was just like: I'm not getting into it. lol SO funny.

Jewelz0376
05-20-2011, 10:49 PM
I wish Hubie Brown was doing the games instead...

I wouldn't mind Jackson and Hubie Brown..with Breen (i think thats his name) doing the play by play or whoever as long as it Trico isn't doing it...I can't stand Trico...

12evolution 9
05-21-2011, 01:26 AM
are u kiddin me with this.... cmon those two are the best ... i love the phrases from jackson and jvg sillyness

dodie53
05-21-2011, 03:20 AM
press mute. enjoy

LakersMaster24
05-21-2011, 04:49 AM
I cant stand Hubie Brown..the guy talks in paragraphs after every play.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
05-21-2011, 04:49 PM
hahaha.