PDA

View Full Version : Parker says Spurs are out, will he be next year

TRF929
05-19-2011, 09:54 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Tony-Parker-thinks-the-Spurs-are-no-longer-playi?urn=nba-wp3554

Tony Parker telling the reporters the Spurs are no longer contenders...

I like how he mentions Timmy and Manu but not himself, he played horrid in the playoffs. Timmy and Manu have an excuse of age, whats his? He got out played in every game

Trade TP for CP, and I bet the aging Spurs will look 5 yrs younger. I was never a big fan of him in the first place and yes his words may be true, but blame yourself as well for not getting past the first round.

I'm down for trading Parker and his new contract, but I say that every year. likely won't happen again. But what is he worth in a trade?

210Don
05-19-2011, 09:58 PM
yeah he said this was the last year they could contend so no news to spurs fans.
and anyways i have never liked him i would rather trade him and rj for someone good
also might light a fire under td & manu doubt it tho cause theyre old

ne3xchamps
05-19-2011, 10:04 PM
One, the spurs would probably have to take an expiring. That is almost a fair trade, but NOH would want a young guy too.

Another thing, I clicked on the french outlet where it came from in that story, and parker said if there is going to be a lockout, he is going to stay in france and play in the european league. so I doubt any of this comes to light.

This offseason could be a LONG offseason as its expected to be a long lockout.

knickfan33
05-19-2011, 10:08 PM
when amare first signed with knicks he said he wanted parker and melo.... i think that would be a good posibability... would love to see chauncey play a little sg and come off bench.... like the knicks version of terry...

210Don
05-19-2011, 10:11 PM
when amare first signed with knicks he said he wanted parker and melo.... i think that would be a good posibability... would love to see chauncey play a little sg and come off bench.... like the knicks version of terry...

parker cant a pass though...

Chronz
05-19-2011, 10:13 PM
He can drive and dish and has better sense of how to run the PnR than Billups.

More importantly, Billups cant muster the frenetic energy to play like JET.

jockrider
05-19-2011, 10:14 PM
trade him to minny for the 2nd pick they said they want a veteran pg this way you guys can inject some youth into the team.

sep11ie
05-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Hold on ha sec. Did the OP suggest trading Parker for Paul?

Bean
05-19-2011, 10:39 PM

No. He was making the point that Parker isn't that great and a better point guard (Chris Paul) would make the whole Spurs team play better and hide their age. He's not literally suggesting that the Spurs try to get CP3.

SMH!
05-19-2011, 10:52 PM

Yes he did. lol Im sure hornets will hop on that :rolleyes:

MrfadeawayJB
05-19-2011, 11:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Tony-Parker-thinks-the-Spurs-are-no-longer-playi?urn=nba-wp3554

Tony Parker telling the reporters the Spurs are no longer contenders...

I like how he mentions Timmy and Manu but not himself, he played horrid in the playoffs. Timmy and Manu have an excuse of age, whats his? He got out played in every game

Trade TP for CP, and I bet the aging Spurs will look 5 yrs younger. I was never a big fan of him in the first place and yes his words may be true, but blame yourself as well for not getting past the first round.

I'm down for trading Parker and his new contract, but I say that every year. likely won't happen again. But what is he worth in a trade?

If this was NBA 2K11 he would be 2 stars

Giraffes Rule
05-19-2011, 11:29 PM
If this was NBA 2K11 he would be 2 stars
Pretty sure he's worth 3 and a half, 4 if you use a more realistic roster/ratings.

Parker played well in the regular season, and he didn't say anything that's not true. Right now, they aren't going to play for a championship. A rotation of Duncan-Splitter-Bonner-Blair isn't going to cut it. I also don't entirely buy that what he said sounds like what he intended, since the interview was in French and that's just a little snippet from it.

TRF929
05-19-2011, 11:40 PM

I would love to trade Parker for Paul, but I dont see it happening ot NO wanting it. The think that got to me was when he was talking about Timmy and Manu, didn't mention himself sucking in the playoffs. He's part of the "Big 3" so he has to play like it

John Walls Era
05-19-2011, 11:44 PM
I never liked TP. Hes really not a typical pass first PG, but thats not even the problem: his jumper is suspect.

Giraffes Rule
05-19-2011, 11:49 PM
I never liked TP. Hes really not a typical pass first PG, but thats not even the problem: his jumper is suspect.

Not really. His mid range shot was money all through the regular season. Didn't have it in the playoffs, but none of the Spurs were hitting jumpers in that series.

TRF929
05-20-2011, 05:39 AM
TP's game is driving and dishing out, I don't want him to have 20 shot attempts and 3 assists. Spurs would benefit hugely from a true pass first pg, trade him and Jefferson for some new player.

macc
05-20-2011, 02:53 PM
The Spurs had a great regular season, winning 61 games to finish with the best record in the West by a four-game margin. Unfortunately for them and their fans, they ran into a tough matchup with the Grizzlies in the first round and suffered only the second loss to a No. 8 seed in the best-of-seven era (and fourth all-time). It was a sad moment for a team that had greater aspirations this season.

In fact, it was bad enough to force one of the San Antonio's stars to claim that the franchise's championship window has closed. From the French paper L'Equipe, as translated on the FIBA website (via SB Nation):

Parker says that age has finally caught up with the Spurs.

"At the start of the season I said this was our last chance," he said.

"Tim and Gino (Manu Ginobili(notes)) are getting old. It's going to be tough to regenerate ourselves.

"We will always have a good team but we can no longer say that we're playing for a championship."

Parker's right -- it is very tough for an aging team to regenerate itself, unless its coach is Wolverine and its best player is a starfish. Gregg Popovich and Tim Duncan(notes) often seem to have magical qualities, but I'm pretty sure regeneration is not one of them.

In all seriousness, though, Parker is probably right: Duncan is aging and can no longer lock down the paint, the roster lacks a capable big man to help him inside, and Ginobili's ankles could explode at any minute. But as the Mavericks have proven this season, aging teams seemingly past their primes can catch fire and exploit favorable matchups to move on in the postseason. Plus, it's not as if the Spurs' regular season was a mirage -- they still won 61 games playing in a conference with better teams, on average, than the East.

The Spurs can't stay pat and expect to win a championship next year, but they may not be as far away from postseason relevance as Parker seems to think. If Tiago Splitter(notes) develops into more of a post presence, Ginobili stays totally healthy, and Duncan doesn't see a terrible drop in his abilities, it's possible to imagine San Antonio with a high seed (and better luck) in next year's playoffs.

Or maybe, as rumored, they'll trade Parker for some new blood to reinvigorate the team. That's replacement, not regeneration, but it can work, too.

Follow Yahoo! Sports on Facebook and be the first to know about the most interesting stories of the day.

championships
05-20-2011, 03:11 PM
The spurs window is

http://i.imgur.com/ieva9.gif

210Don
05-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Rebuild mode.

I'm just agreeing with your boy Tony :shrug:

never.

Giraffes Rule
05-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Rebuild mode.

I'm just agreeing with your boy Tony :shrug:

:facepalm: Yeah, a 61 win team needs to go into complete rebuilding mode.

Kenny Powders
05-20-2011, 03:42 PM

Say what you want. The Spurs are the downside of a very good run. This team is in need of some drastic changes if it wishes to compete.

championships
05-20-2011, 04:01 PM

Your boy says the window has closed, Not me.

Sadds The Gr8
05-20-2011, 04:06 PM
he's right.

JasonJohnHorn
05-20-2011, 04:06 PM
I suddendly think Parker is a tool.

You know who wins the game? You know who gets the rebound? You know who makes the hussle plays? The guy that doenst QUIT. When you are sitting around a poker table, the guy who wins is the patient one who is willing to sit there for 75 straight hours to win. They guy who wants to rush and get it done and go home, he goes home WITH NOTHING!

Parker sounds like one of those guys.

Parker sounds like he thinks he's carrying the team. Like Tim Duncan didnt help him become an All-Star PG and final MVP. He's help Parker get two rings.

Splittner, Blair, Neal, Hill, Jefferson, Bonner added with TD, Manu and Parker, with a great coach, is a GREAT f@ck!ng ling up. And it IS one that can contend? Is Duncan a little older? YES. Can he still rebound and defend and hit that bank shot? HELL YES! How old was Kareem when he last started for a championship? FORTY-ONE YEARS OLD!!

It sounds like Parker doesnt have the heart required to win. And considering he signed an extension this season, it seems a little odd that he would say that. Obviously he, if he believed that, then he signed for the money, and not for a chance to win.

Realistically, this seems more like either a guy who positioning himself for a trade, or trying to put pressure on management to bring in some talent.

Regardless, I think it is time for the Spurs to look at moving him. Perhaps if they call up Minny and try to pick up Rubio and see what this guy can do. Worst case scenario, George Hill ends up starting and the spurs clear a little cap space. And if Rubio works out... well, then they have a young PG and some great mentors.

CP3 does look like a realistic trade, but if it is one they can work out, then they should take it. I would work hard for this trade, obviously every team in the league should be calling NO about CP3.

Parker... what a tool.

210Don
05-20-2011, 04:57 PM
I suddendly think Parker is a tool.

You know who wins the game? You know who gets the rebound? You know who makes the hussle plays? The guy that doenst QUIT. When you are sitting around a poker table, the guy who wins is the patient one who is willing to sit there for 75 straight hours to win. They guy who wants to rush and get it done and go home, he goes home WITH NOTHING!

Parker sounds like one of those guys.

Parker sounds like he thinks he's carrying the team. Like Tim Duncan didnt help him become an All-Star PG and final MVP. He's help Parker get two rings.

Splittner, Blair, Neal, Hill, Jefferson, Bonner added with TD, Manu and Parker, with a great coach, is a GREAT f@ck!ng ling up. And it IS one that can contend? Is Duncan a little older? YES. Can he still rebound and defend and hit that bank shot? HELL YES! How old was Kareem when he last started for a championship? FORTY-ONE YEARS OLD!!

It sounds like Parker doesnt have the heart required to win. And considering he signed an extension this season, it seems a little odd that he would say that. Obviously he, if he believed that, then he signed for the money, and not for a chance to win.

Realistically, this seems more like either a guy who positioning himself for a trade, or trying to put pressure on management to bring in some talent.

Regardless, I think it is time for the Spurs to look at moving him. Perhaps if they call up Minny and try to pick up Rubio and see what this guy can do. Worst case scenario, George Hill ends up starting and the spurs clear a little cap space. And if Rubio works out... well, then they have a young PG and some great mentors.

CP3 does look like a realistic trade, but if it is one they can work out, then they should take it. I would work hard for this trade, obviously every team in the league should be calling NO about CP3.

Parker... what a tool.

he shouldnt think that. tbh he looked the oldest in the grizz series timmy played well and manu played great just didnt have help

Lake_Show2416
05-20-2011, 05:07 PM
he just wants to get traded, i think its time for a new scene anyways for Parker & the Spurs could use a shake up, plus they have George Hill who takes a lot of Parker's minutes

Giraffes Rule
05-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Say what you want. The Spurs are the downside of a very good run. This team is in need of some drastic changes if it wishes to compete.

I'm not saying they don't need to make changes, but it's not time for rebuilding mode. Rebuilding means blowing the team up and sitting at the bottom of the league for 4 or 5 years, which I'm sure that delusional Lakers fan would love.

TRF929
05-20-2011, 05:48 PM
he just wants to get traded, i think its time for a new scene anyways for Parker & the Spurs could use a shake up, plus they have George Hill who takes a lot of Parker's minutes

When Hill is in the game he usually plays sg and Manu moves to pg. Not saying always, but thats the usual. I hope he gets traded, he's the one of the big 3 that has always had the higher probabilty of being traded in all the years.

I would take a proven big man or up incoming pg (Rubio) and in trading him will open up team salary a little bit more.

210Don
05-20-2011, 05:54 PM
When Hill is in the game he usually plays sg and Manu moves to pg. Not saying always, but thats the usual. I hope he gets traded, he's the one of the big 3 that has always had the higher probabilty of being traded in all the years.

I would take a proven big man or up incoming pg (Rubio) and in trading him will open up team salary a little bit more.

yeah hill lacks alot of pg skills hes kinda like a lot less aggressive monta ellis

mamba24
05-20-2011, 06:24 PM
**** you

Haha Spurs will never get another guy like Duncan again

Wade>You
05-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Tim Duncan has become David Robinson. He needs someone in the front court if the Spurs are gonna ever contend again in his tenure.

Hangtime
05-20-2011, 07:29 PM
They had a great regular season but looked like they ran out of steam down the stretch. Compounded by a bad matchup against a team they simply didn't match up well inside.

Ginobili still looks great, but how long before injuries cut his career short. The guy is still injury prone. Parker obviously is ready to move on. And Duncan is definitely declining. How long do you Spurs fans want to keep this core together?

Purple&Gold24
05-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Don said theyd blow it up so blow it up :D

knickfan33
05-20-2011, 08:29 PM

he would be 100 times better then billups at running point in the dantoni system... the knick are missing a player who drives and dishs... and thats exactly wat he does

Giraffes Rule
05-20-2011, 08:54 PM
he would be 100 times better then billups at running point in the dantoni system... the knick are missing a player who drives and dishs... and thats exactly wat he does

Knicks don't have anything to offer for Parker outside of Landry Fields, and the Spurs don't need Landry Fields at all.