PDA

View Full Version : How good (bad) is Noah?

stawka
05-18-2011, 09:48 PM
What's the common perception on this guy? Every time I see someone talk about him, it's primarily "he's a good defender, rebounder and hustler" and everyone neglect to mention his offense - or if they do, it's not in a good way

Every time I've seen him play, he actually puts up good shots, and he makes a decent % (just by watching his games). I'm not going into the numbers here, but he ain't no slouch on offense like Perkins? So what's the deal with him

hugepatsfan
05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
He can get his, but he's hardly a guy opponents need to gameplan for on the offensive end.

stawka
05-18-2011, 09:55 PM
There's not THAT many big guys that a gameplan is necessary to be around them though is there? I mean ye he can get his, but it's not off offensive rebounds and tipin's. He can play the P&R well, his post-game is a bit rushed but it's not on bad shots

d00d
05-18-2011, 09:56 PM
the announcers tonight said it best. no 7 footer in the NBA could do what he did tonight running down the court and laying it in

3Blueforyou
05-18-2011, 09:59 PM
He runs the floor well, his fights are for boards and gets alot of the hard work points. I would not say he is a guy you call to many plays for if any, and if you do they best include some mis-direction.

Wilson
05-18-2011, 10:01 PM
He had an amazing pass tonight to Boozer for a lay-up. Some Bulls fans told me he's actually a very good passer (I wouldn't know, having not been able to watch him that much before). If it's true then he's definitely under-rated on the offensive end, people usually say he's average at best on that end from what I've seen.

KnicksR4Real
05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
i LOVE his energy

IamKaiserSoze
05-18-2011, 10:11 PM
here is my scouting report on noah: he will never take shots away from the offense because he rarely shoots. at least from the outside. he can score. but his points come from tip ins and layups. great passer for a big man. and better than you might think defensively. he seems to annoy the opposition as well. he does things you don't see in the stat sheet. personally, i love the guy. but i get the feeling he is someone i would just hate if he wasn't on my team.

Mrphilly
05-18-2011, 10:12 PM
the announcers tonight said it best. no 7 footer in the NBA could do what he did tonight running down the court and laying it in

First of all, when did Noah become a 7 footer? Noah is a energy guy, similar to Lou Amundson, and Verajo. He is a very good rebounder, especially on the offensive end, most due to his energy.

IMO There is nothing special about Noah, He is a good player to have on the team, but I wouldnt build a team around him.

heathonater
05-18-2011, 10:33 PM
noah is far from a liability on offense. however, the bulls rarely run set plays for him. but noah doesnt need to be a great offensive player on the bulls since rose is able to get his own shot and create for others.

FarOutIos
05-18-2011, 10:33 PM

Announcers exaggerate.

Like the post above says... he's not even a 7 footer. And there are plenty of athletic 7 footers around... even more athletic 6-11 guys...

njnets
05-18-2011, 10:40 PM
noah brings a lot of intangibles to the table. he hustles, dives after loose balls, sets good screens. all things that do not show up in the stat sheet. i consider him a good rebounder, and a reason why he is that good at rebounding is his hustle. he constantly crashes the boards at both ends of the floor.

like some other people have said, he can the floor well and can dribble and pass well too for a guy of his size. not a guy you necessarily build your team around as a number one option, but a great glue piece for a team.

njnets
05-18-2011, 10:40 PM
edit: double post

droalex
05-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Noah is a 7 ft......

jockrider
05-18-2011, 10:57 PM

andrea bargnani,dirk,pau,

j11430
05-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Noah is a 7 ft......

he's 6'10 or 6'11. not 7 ft though

koreancabbage
05-18-2011, 11:28 PM

forgot the best 7 footer playing in the other series in the West.

koreancabbage
05-18-2011, 11:30 PM
noah brings a lot of intangibles to the table. he hustles, dives after loose balls, sets good screens. all things that do not show up in the stat sheet. i consider him a good rebounder, and a reason why he is that good at rebounding is his hustle. he constantly crashes the boards at both ends of the floor.

like some other people have said, he can the floor well and can dribble and pass well too for a guy of his size. not a guy you necessarily build your team around as a number one option, but a great glue piece for a team.

this. mainly as a Raptors fan, I would love him to compliment Bargnani. he's the guy that every team needs

a true blue collar worker.

HOWEVER, his emotion runs high and can take himself out of game like today.

MrfadeawayJB
05-18-2011, 11:34 PM
He is better than Perkins at rebounding, defense, and offense

koreancabbage
05-18-2011, 11:42 PM
He is better than Perkins at rebounding, defense, and offense

rofl, this is a given. though his rebounding is what leads to his offense most of the time. He can give you 1-2 shots a game where he will get you baskets buts that about it, so offensively they are the same.

sep11ie
05-18-2011, 11:44 PM
He's fun to watch, as long as they don't show his face on a close up.

droalex
05-18-2011, 11:46 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joakim-Noah-589/

Noah IS 7ft!

Raph12
05-18-2011, 11:53 PM
He's a garbage guy, cleans up well, but you can't play through him...

koreancabbage
05-19-2011, 12:05 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joakim-Noah-589/

Noah IS 7ft!

in shoes.

droalex
05-19-2011, 12:06 AM
He plays the game with shoes =o

MGB
05-19-2011, 12:08 AM
in shoes.

They play that basketball game in shoes.

beasted86
05-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Noah is great at what he does... play with energy, hustle, rebound, and he does make solid pass plays sometimes.

But in general Bulls fans overrate him more than Cavs fans did Varejao. Noah is overrated because he's going to tip the scale in the teams favor with the things he does. He's not going to actually put any team in position to win because of his play. That's why when I've heard multiple times he's the 2nd or 3rd best Center in the NBA, I laugh.

fishfan79
05-19-2011, 12:09 AM
when is he a FA?

beasted86
05-19-2011, 12:11 AM

When the doctor lists your height on the chart, he doesn't put "with shoes".

sep11ie
05-19-2011, 12:21 AM

Game, set, match.

Mrphilly
05-19-2011, 12:33 AM
He plays the game with shoes =o

So sometime he is 7'1 or even 6'11. Get the **** out of here. He is 6'10.

That is like weighing a football player with his Equipment on.

Catfish1314
05-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Announcers exaggerate.

Like the post above says... he's not even a 7 footer. And there are plenty of athletic 7 footers around... even more athletic 6-11 guys...

He is a 7 footer. He measured 7'0 in shoes at the pre-draft workouts in 2007. So unless he shrank, he's a legit 7 feet. He's also heavier than the 232 he's listed at. Watch some YouTube of him as a rookie and compare it to now. He's gained at least 10 pounds since he entered the league.

Beyond the hustle and rebounding prowess, Noah was a point guard in high school before he had a massive growth spurt. So his ball handling and passing skills are exceptional for a center. He's perfectly comfortable taking the ball between his legs and I've seen him take other bigs off the dribble with ease. He's a good free-throw shooter and has fairly consistent 10-14 foot range.

His stamina and conditioning are his weak points. He tends to get winded easily but he's also had some fluke injuries the last two years that keep him from staying in perfect basketball shape. His energy can also be a weakness sometimes. He can get into foul trouble, make silly mistakes, and lose focus because he literally gets too excited.

Catfish1314
05-19-2011, 12:47 AM
So sometime he is 7'1 or even 6'11. Get the **** out of here. He is 6'10.

That is like weighing a football player with his Equipment on.

Hardly. Pads and helmets don't make tackles or pancake blocks. Strong *** football players do.

We're talking about one ****ing inch anyway.

KingPosey
05-19-2011, 12:50 AM

dirk can, 10 times better.

JB0B0
05-19-2011, 12:59 AM
he has a solid jumper too.

ChiSox219
05-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Noah is underrated by the typical fan and I really dont even like the guy.

Varejao is also seriously underrated.

justinnum1
05-19-2011, 01:32 AM
asik>noah

Raph12
05-19-2011, 01:46 AM

Dwight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3gh-R_RVW4)
Pau (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09qeRO6NkVM)
Nene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz8jmTWwoiM)
McGee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNPtfVyVl3A)

I'm sure they were exaggerating...

Mrphilly
05-19-2011, 02:02 AM
Hardly. Pads and helmets don't make tackles or pancake blocks. Strong *** football players do.

We're talking about one ****ing inch anyway.

And being a 7 footer doesnt change who Noah is as a player, so
stop giving him one ****ing inch that he doesnt deserve, just so he can be referred to as a "7 footer"

droalex
05-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Dwight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3gh-R_RVW4)
Pau (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09qeRO6NkVM)
Nene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz8jmTWwoiM)
McGee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNPtfVyVl3A)

I'm sure they were exaggerating...
Noah does it with more swag

Catfish1314
05-19-2011, 02:22 AM
stop giving him one ****ing inch that he doesnt deserve, just so he can be referred to as a "7 footer"

He's 7 feet tall in shoes. He plays the game in shoes. So when he's on the basketball court, he stands 7 feet tall and thus plays like one.

He, like Garnett, doesn't want to be referred to as a 7 footer. But he might as well be if that's how tall he is when he's on the court.

5ass
05-19-2011, 02:23 AM
he's just a huge guy that plays with so much hustle, energy and heart.. imo thats all that makes him good, ofcourse rosee makes him better aswell.. he gets tons of putbacks, hes not a great player, but a good one

haggis
05-19-2011, 02:26 AM

:laugh2:

why doesn't he deserve an inch?

Mrphilly
05-19-2011, 04:01 AM
:laugh2:

why doesn't he deserve an inch?

Because Im 5'8, and nobody is giving me another inch, no matter what kind of shoes I wear. I deserve it way more than he does!!!:mad:

D Roses Bulls
05-19-2011, 04:08 AM
noah is good..... top 3 center

D1JM
05-19-2011, 04:52 AM
You guys sound like little kids arguing over a ****en inch

kozelkid
05-19-2011, 06:41 AM
asik>noah

Defensively, I actually agree.

Unfortunately, Asik is so putrid offensively that Noah is a better overall player. Give Asik an offseason working on his offensive game and understanding more, and he can very well be a top 5 center in this league.

Honestly, with Noah, I feel that he gets overrated for his defense and underrated for his offense. He's a very versatile defender (as in he can defend perimeter players with there is a switch like he did against Lebron a number of times already this season) and a good help defender, but he has ALOT of trouble against the stronger big men like Howard, Bogut, etc. That is why I like Asik better defensively. Asik is just as versatile as Noah on that end, but also can hold his own against Howard or Bogut.

kozelkid
05-19-2011, 06:44 AM
And btw Noah is not 6'10. That is hot garbage.
He is 7'0 WITH shoes as shown by pre-draft measurements that have no bias. And this game is played WITH shoes. And this is as a rookie so he probably could have grown around half an inch to an inch since.
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2007&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

Antipod
05-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Gimi Noah over Perkins

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-19-2011, 08:16 AM

:facepalm::facepalm:

haven't you seen gasol or dirk run a fastbreak?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-19-2011, 08:19 AM
noah is good..... top 3 center

nah

DeadlyVeyerus31
05-19-2011, 08:31 AM
PSD Member #1: Well last time i measured it was 5 1/2 inches

PSD Member #2: Well one night my girl decided to measure and it was 6 inches. Man do you know that the average male size in america is 5 1/2. Boy was I blessed!

PSD Member #3: Well I was reading Maxium and they had a study about this. Average Chinese man is 3 1/2. But maybe in shoes I could be 4 hopefully.

Could this be the only time a 1/2 inch to a 1 inch more important than height?