PDA

View Full Version : Barkley: Having gay teammates a non-issue

njnets
05-18-2011, 06:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6563128

sorry if this does not belong on PSD, in the nba forum, general forum, or whatever. if I am beating a dead horse or if you mods think it is inappropriate to post, feel free to close this. I thought it would be a good read for the posters though

I think Charles made some really great points in his article. He also says that he has played with gay teammates. He does not name people though which I think is a good thing. He could be lying, but Charles never holds back. He always speaks what he thinks. It was a quick read but good. Also has the Rick Welts interview.

What is everyone else's thoughts

JasonJohnHorn
05-18-2011, 06:18 PM
The Moderators dont think the topic is inappropiate, it is the number of homophoci respnces that end up getting posted that is the cause of the closed thread.

Here's to hoping this one doesnt turn into another nightmare

Chill_Will_24
05-18-2011, 06:21 PM
:sigh:

njnets
05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
yea, im afraid other posters will be inappropriate with it too. i hope it can stay open and we can have a good discussion on this topic.

Cal827
05-18-2011, 06:30 PM
In before close. Great article, but unfortunately, some people still don't accept people for who they are, and b/c of that there will be some nasty comments upcoming (most likely). Barkley does kinda imply that it's the media is responsible for the "homophobic" attitude within the locker rooms. I'm not fully convinced though. In the NHL, Sean Avery spoke out for gay marriage, and a player agent basically told him to shut up b/c the opinions of many other players on gay marriage were the opposite of his.

JasonJohnHorn
05-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Just got finished reading and watching. Thanks for sharing.

Bruno
05-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Charles was always a personality ahead of his time; still is.

AddiX
05-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Charles is right though, who knws how many professional athletes throughout the years are gay and just wouldn't come out. Has to be a terrible way to live.

Chill_Will_24
05-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Homophobia is only part of the problem. Sports is one of the toughest areas to ever gain ground on with this issue.

Chill_Will_24
05-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Charles is right though, who knws how many professional athletes throughout the years are gay and just wouldn't come out. Has to be a terrible way to live.

Probably many (Bosh im looking at you) but its just a fact that marketing homosexuals in sports like basketball and football is not the best idea business wise. I guarantee that if, hypothetically, Derrick Rose were to come out of the closet he would lose marketability. Its just not smart to come out of the closet in a sports field. How likely is a mother to buy her son the signature shoes of a known gay man? Not likely since said man would probably never get a shoe deal anyway.

joeym
05-18-2011, 06:53 PM
I agree with Barkley...it should not be an issue, but unfortunately
pro sports are perceived as the epitome of macho culture in this
and most other countries so it would be very hard for gay
athletes to be accepted and judged solely on the merits of their
performance in most circumstances and not on anything else.....

Chill_Will_24
05-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I agree with Barkley...it should not be an issue, but unfortunately
pro sports are perceived as the epitome of macho culture in this
and most other countries so it would be very hard for gay
athletes to be accepted and judged solely on the merits of their
performance in most circumstances and not on anything else.....

Exactly true

DaVille
05-18-2011, 07:27 PM
is charles barkley Gay?

CeeDub15
05-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Charles Barkley is awsome. But I do agree with him.

steveshane67
05-18-2011, 07:41 PM
there are 2 big problems that hinder someone coming out of the closet

there is the perceived notion that an athlete is supposed to be a manly man and that a gay man is not a manly man. and for whatever reason, african americans as a group, are very anti gay, and the vast majority of NBA/NFL players are african american.

me personaly, i agree yet again with chuck. i wouldnt have a problem if anyone whether its megastar or a 6th man or a 12th man came out of the closet. and as a professional athlete, the only thing that should matter is what happens on the field. i mean if jeff kent and barry bonds can play together withouht any on the field issues, why wouldnt peyton manning and a gay colt?

jrm2054
05-18-2011, 07:42 PM
nice read Chucks the man

njnets
05-18-2011, 07:46 PM
at some point in the future, i think some athlete will come out. it will be a terrible reaction during that time and after a bad effect, but in the long run it will be good for pro sports.

all major changes in sports, whether it be gender or race, have come through struggle and are rejected for not being the norm.

many athletes have done it after their playing days are over. im really interested to see everybody's reaction to a player during it while they are still playing.

DenButsu
05-18-2011, 07:50 PM
"I just think it's a shame, for all the obvious reasons, that this is a leap that he has to take. He's doing anyone who's not ready for this a favor."
--Steve Nash

That's pretty much the perfect way to put it. Whether people are ready or not, the tide of history has turned. Bigotry based on sexual preference simply isn't going to be socially tolerable anymore, and even if sports is the last bastion, the walls will crumble there, too. So people get ready. Those who oppose equality on this front, 20-30 years from now, won't look too unlike those who opposed mixed marriages and supported segregation.

braveniler58
05-18-2011, 07:54 PM
I do wonder if the gay players who are currently playing in pro sports are feeling the pressure to come out now? I think once the first one does, it'll be like dominoes -- they'll all come out then.

I'm thrilled Barkley spoke out like that. Increasing support for the gay players out there, I hope more comes.

allSUAVE
05-18-2011, 08:03 PM

Iggz53
05-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Charles was always a personality ahead of his time; still is.

lol this is the same guy that claimed there was nothing wrong with driving drunk. I agree with him on this but it's not like he was the first person to say this.

Cal827
05-18-2011, 08:06 PM
there are 2 big problems that hinder someone coming out of the closet

there is the perceived notion that an athlete is supposed to be a manly man and that a gay man is not a manly man. and for whatever reason, african americans as a group, are very anti gay, and the vast majority of NBA/NFL players are african american.

me personaly, i agree yet again with chuck. i wouldnt have a problem if anyone whether its megastar or a 6th man or a 12th man came out of the closet. and as a professional athlete, the only thing that should matter is what happens on the field. i mean if jeff kent and barry bonds can play together withouht any on the field issues, why wouldnt peyton manning and a gay colt?

I'm not fully sure if race has much to do with it. For example, I'm a black male and I have no problems with homosexual men and women. Also, I mentioned that the NHL player agent has basically told Avery to shut up on his opinion on homosexuality and gay marriage (he was for it). The NHL is predominately white.

I fully agree with the first opinion though. Athletes are perceived as the Manly man. If they aren't as manly as others think they should be, then they are occasionally insulted for it. One example I can think of is Bosh. Since he isn't as tough as the prototypical pf/c, he gained the insult "Rupaul".

"I just think it's a shame, for all the obvious reasons, that this is a leap that he has to take. He's doing anyone who's not ready for this a favor."
--Steve Nash

That's pretty much the perfect way to put it. Whether people are ready or not, the tide of history has turned. Bigotry based on sexual preference simply isn't going to be socially tolerable anymore, and even if sports is the last bastion, the walls will crumble there, too. So people get ready. Those who oppose equality on this front, 20-30 years from now, won't look too unlike those who opposed mixed marriages and supported segregation.

+1

FadeAwayLikeMJ
05-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Being homophobic is so 2000's

AddiX
05-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I do wonder if the gay players who are currently playing in pro sports are feeling the pressure to come out now? I think once the first one does, it'll be like dominoes -- they'll all come out then.

I'm thrilled Barkley spoke out like that. Increasing support for the gay players out there, I hope more comes.

I don't think the domino thing will ever happen.

People need to remember this guy is almost 60. The majority of his life he lived with this burden scared to come forward to people he knew all of his life let alone the public.

steveshane67
05-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm not fully sure if race has much to do with it. For example, I'm a black male and I have no problems with homosexual men and women. Also, I mentioned that the NHL player agent has basically told Avery to shut up on his opinion on homosexuality and gay marriage (he was for it). The NHL is predominately white.

I fully agree with the first opinion though. Athletes are perceived as the Manly man. If they aren't as manly as others think they should be, then they are occasionally insulted for it. One example I can think of is Bosh. Since he isn't as tough as the prototypical pf/c, he gained the insult "Rupaul".

+1

im talking about that in political pols, blacks are more anti gay than other races. on a side note, their stronger presence at the pols in 08 in cali was a reason why prop 8 failed, since so many of them voted against it (i think it was 75-25). my point being that in 2 of the sports, locker rooms are dominated by blacks, and their culture has certain 'animosity' toward gays that it would theoretical be harder to come out to your teammates.

MrfadeawayJB
05-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I only have a problem with gay men, not women :)

But this was seriously a good move for chuck

Chill_Will_24
05-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I only have a problem with gay men, not women :)

:up:

Chill_Will_24
05-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Anytime you go against the norm in ANYTHING you better be prepared for the srutimy that comes with it. The gay community is just expecting too much. They want the rights, and the approval and to lead a normal life except.... oh thats right!.. You DONT live a normal life! You have same sex sexual relations! Of course people will judge. Thats the life you chose so now live with it.

MalZee24
05-18-2011, 08:49 PM
waiting for nickdymez to come in and say something about lebron being gay or something. thats how these threads get shut down, not the topic but the responses.

TylerSL
05-18-2011, 09:00 PM
it is a non issue. There are too many problems in the world to worry about whether somebody is gay or not..

Avenged
05-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah non issue.. Barkley isn't the first to say this nor will he be the last.. But for some reason whatever he says is always quoted.

Seriously, in the modern world, who the heck cares if someone is gay? Nowadays it's like making a thread stating that Barkley said "Having a straight teammate is a non issue".

Punk
05-18-2011, 09:29 PM
I'd agree with that. None of that matters.

ccg34
05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
If I was an NBA player, I would have a problem with having a gay teammate. I don't want another guy staring at me in the locker room. It would be odd if I had a gay teammate who liked another teammate. It would be a distraction.

junion
05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
i agree with barkley because who cares if someone's gay, if they can play, then they can play - even better if they're good. i'd rather have chris bosh on my team than a straight player who can't really play.

but the problem is that a lot of people won't accept it regardless of the talent. the nba is predominantly black, and blacks are predominantly against gays (check the prob 8 voting demographics).

i've watches come city leagues play and there are some gay guys on the teams. they're very flaming, but on the court they're serious business, and they're as good as any other player in the league.

i agree it's a non-issue because basketball isn't about how "manly" you are, but more about how well you play.

AddiX
05-18-2011, 11:31 PM
What I was really wondering is why wasn't Bron and Wade in that gay commercial?

Raph12
05-18-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't get it, what's wrong with having gay teammates?... The lockeroom scene?

Rego247
05-19-2011, 12:10 AM
bosh can't hide it forever. u can tell lebron and wade are starting to notice.

fadedmario
05-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Who cares - one of my best friends is gay and you'd never know it unless he told you himself. What people do on their own time is their business. I could care less.

fadedmario
05-19-2011, 12:14 AM

:laugh:

buch88
05-19-2011, 12:19 AM

uh ok that wasn't even funny. it was just kinda stupid. something a 5th grader would say.

TylerSL
05-19-2011, 12:23 AM
uh ok that wasn't even funny. it was just kinda stupid. something a 5th grader would say.

hes just a hurt Raptors fan...

oak2455
05-19-2011, 12:24 AM

your sig is:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool ::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

fadedmario
05-19-2011, 12:26 AM

I was just laughing because my wife said the other day they called Bosh gay on "Chelsea Lately".

oak2455
05-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Who cares - one of my best friends is gay and you'd never know it unless he told you himself. What people do on their own time is their business. I could care less.

ok;)

fadedmario
05-19-2011, 12:30 AM
ok;)

:moon::jumpy::laugh:

Chill_Will_24
05-19-2011, 12:33 AM

yes it was

giants73756
05-19-2011, 12:45 AM
I love Chuck. I wouldn't have a problem playing along side a gay athlete. But i wouldn't recommend they come out of the closet. The could lose money in free agency or endorsements because of all the homophobes.

oak2455
05-19-2011, 12:46 AM
:moon::jumpy::laugh:

That's funny!!!:clap:

oak2455
05-19-2011, 12:48 AM
I love Chuck. I wouldn't have a problem playing along side a gay athlete. But i wouldn't recommend they come out of the closet. The could lose money in free agency or endorsements because of all the homophobes.

this is defiantly true

Tony_Starks
05-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Barkley is right it shouldn't matter but I doubt we'll ever see someone openly come out of the closet. Players are always going to say the right things publicly but a gay player would still run a big risk in being isolated and possibly ridiculed behind closed doors. The locker room to me is like a construction site or a power plant, it's just a really difficult environment to be openly gay....

Slimsim
05-19-2011, 04:57 PM
For a second i thought this was a bosh thread