PDA

View Full Version : ESPNLA: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar feels 'slighted' by LA Lakers no statue at Staples

JordansBulls
05-18-2011, 05:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6563112

Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who won five world championships as a Los Angeles Laker and remains the NBA's all-time leading scorer, believes the franchise owes him a statue outside Staples Center and feels "slighted" that it hasn't already happened.

There are five statues outside the arena recognizing Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Chick Hearn, Wayne Gretzky and Oscar De La Hoya. Abdul-Jabbar believes it's high time the Lakers do the right thing and make him the sixth athlete so honored.

"I don't understand (it). It's either an oversight or they're taking me for granted," Abdul-Jabbar told The Sporting News in a recent interview. "I'm not going to try to read people's minds, but it doesn't make me happy. It's definitely a slight. I feel slighted."

The six-time NBA MVP sounded even more offended in a statement released subsequently by his business manager.

"I am highly offended by the total lack of acknowledgement of my contribution to Laker success," Abdul-Jabbar was quoted as saying. "I guess being the lynchpin for five world championships is not considered significant enough in terms of being part of Laker history."

Abdul-Jabbar won six NBA titles in all and was part of three NCAA championship teams during his reign of greatness at UCLA. His accomplishments also include selection to a record 19 NBA All-Star teams (he played in 18).

Lakers spokesman John Black indicated to The Sporting News that Abdul-Jabbar is next in line to get a statue outside Staples Center.

"We've been at Staples Center 11 years and have two ex-players (Johnson and West) who have statues now," Black said, according to TSN. "It's not like we do it every year; we have no timetable. Whenever we do the next statue of the third Los Angeles Lakers player, it (will be) Kareem -- and he has been told that.

"Again, we didn't say when that was going to be. It could be next year, the year after or several years from now."

Several weeks ago, the Boston Celtics announced that Hall of Fame center Bill Russell will be honored with a statue in the city of Boston -- more than 40 years after his playing days for the Celtics ended.

210Don
05-18-2011, 05:56 PM
lol .....

Gibby23
05-18-2011, 05:59 PM
West just got one this year and he was retired longer than Kreem has been.

davids22
05-18-2011, 06:26 PM
He DOES have a point LA....

JordanPippen
05-18-2011, 06:48 PM
"Where's my statue?!"

In all seriousness, he deserves one. But damn... five statues already?

Jemikz9Clutch
05-18-2011, 06:51 PM
imagine.. statue for every lakers and celtics legends for their arenas. lol

Tanakid777
05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
What a whiny *****

Sadds The Gr8
05-18-2011, 07:08 PM
he's right. they don't even appreciate the man

Spurred1
05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
They don't have a timetable set, so unless they promised him one relatively soon, I'm not sure why he's complaining. Doesn't seem like they crank them out at a high rate or anything. Did someone promise him one now?

naps
05-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Also the Laker fans on psd really don't appreciate him. 90% are immature and say Kobe all day long. Kareem deserves one, no doubt about that.

championships
05-18-2011, 07:27 PM
The lakers that do have a statue were lifelong Lakers. Kareem was a Buck also. Probably why Wilt doesn't have one either.

He might get one and I wouldn't be mad at all. The Captain was the man but look how long it took West to get one and Russel is just now getting a statue.

Purple&Gold24
05-18-2011, 07:31 PM
What ships said. He'll get his next.

championships
05-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Also the Laker fans on psd really don't appreciate him. 90% are immature and say Kobe all day long. Kareem deserves one, no doubt about that.

You Spew nonsense. :pity:

Most laker fans appreciate the "Captain"

J4KOP99
05-18-2011, 07:36 PM
You will get one Kareem, just shut the hell up for now. Buss and the rest of the Lakers have a lot more to worry about.

smiddy012
05-18-2011, 07:36 PM
He should feel slighted - I mean they got a bust of Pippen in the UC and even Pippen was never no KAJ.

netsgiantsyanks
05-18-2011, 07:39 PM
he has a point.

championships
05-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Lakers spokesman John Black indicated to The Sporting News that Abdul-Jabbar is next in line to get a statue outside Staples Center.

"We've been at Staples Center 11 years and have two ex-players (Johnson and West) who have statues now," Black said, according to TSN. "It's not like we do it every year; we have no timetable. Whenever we do the next statue of the third Los Angeles Lakers player, it (will be) Kareem -- and he has been told that

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6563112

Close Thread :D

Iggz53
05-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Statues are pretty rare occurrences -- it's not like the Lakers have erected likenesses of Sedale Threatt and Elden Campbell before getting to KAJ

:laugh2:

I agree with the author. This isn't something someone should ever complain about. Especially if he was already told that he would be the next statue.

JasonJohnHorn
05-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I think this is about more than the statue. Kareem has made it known that he is VERY interested in coaching, player development and potentially even a job in the office. The Lakers, like NY with Ewing (which is more understandable in my estimation), have really distanced themselves from Kareem since his retirement. I have read that during his time as a player, Kareem was always very reflective, unresponsive, and reserved, to the point where some thought it was rude. There is a potential diagnosis for a mild version of aspergers-syndrom looking at a rough profile of what people have said about him, and this may be the source of that reluctance on the part of the Lakers to really give him a big role in the organization. To me personally, these are the type of traits that "thinking" people display. They are in their own world at time, and being contemplative and introverted can be misread by others as being rude. This leads me to think that he would be more capable of coaching, espcially the Xs and Os, and perhaps that he might be an ideal assistant or even head coach with the right experience. He was given jobs by the Clippers, Sonics, T-Wolves and Knicks, and coached a USBL team before he inserted himself back into the Lakers fold. And I say inserted himself because from what i've read, the Lakers made no effort to bring him into the fold. I remember when he was with the clippers, somebody asked him why he jumped over to the Clippers, and he simply said that his preference was to stay with the Lakers, but that there was no interest on their part to bring him into the fold.

I think Phil Jackson may have helped to bridge a gap, and I am guessing when I say this, but it seems to me that Kareem and Phil might be of similar mind sets philisolphically and in terms of basketball. But all he did essentially was train with Bynum. He was given a 'special assitant' tag, worked out with Bynum for two summers, and the Bynum stopped going to him. Kareem was given credit for Bynum's improvement during the season which Kobe had demanded a trade, but I remember an interview (and I'm sorry for the no links, but I remember it clearly), that Kareem was asked if he worked out with Bynum in the summer, and Kareem said something to the effect: No, he didnt contact me to train this summer. I guess he doesnt think he has anymore to learn from me. And then made a comment about Bynum maybe wanting to be his own man, but you could tell Kareem was hurt by it.

Kareem has been an enigma, and an interesting person. I would love to know more about him, from players and coaches, and from him, I'd buy his autobiography in a heart beat.

Why LA has no interest in really bringing him into the fold, and making him more involved in player development or as a scout (as he did with the Knicks ), I dont know. I know from what I've heard that he never really wanted to leave the organization at all, but that his love and interest in the game forced him to move on from where he seemed to be very much unwanted.

What I say next, is not meant as a loaded statement, just a suggestion, and a pure hypothetical, but it seems that a lot of Muslim players have a hard time maintaining a long lasting relationship with the league. I know Phil Jackson made comments about the peculiar nature of Craig Hogdes' departure from the league, a forced retirment of sort (though the NBA DID make an effort on his behalf and allowed him to defend his three-point crown at the All-Star game), and I remember Shareem Abdul-Rahim claimed to have a hard time find work in the league when he still felt he had game and suggested it was because of his faith and his refusal to stand for the national anthem, but as a fan I just saw that as the natural progression of his game, because he was a score-first point guard and only 6 feet, and his FG% was never very good. But perhaps there is something to be said of the relationships Muslim players maintain with the league, not consiously on their part, or on the part of owners, but there just seems to be something odd about it. Not baiting, not saying there is a conspiracy, just saying that it comes across as odd to me.

Regardless of what ever the reasons are, I hope that Kareem, like Dr. J, get an opprotunity to play a larger role in the NBA. These guys seem to have a love for the game, and while Dr. J has gotten a couple of chances, it seems both of these great basketball minds, who helped the game so much, and have so much to offer, are really not being given the opprotunity to remain invlved with the league in a manner which they should.

Just me.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Just for crying about it, he should have to wait 10 more years. He did a lot for the Lakers. But he is not the most likable guy. Him and Michael Cooper were two of the biggest A-holes I have ever met. Kobe, couldn't be nicer, D Fish was awesome, Danny Grange, awesome guy, even the Collins twins were cool, D Rose, outstanding and humble person. If it wasn't for Kareem and Coop, I would think the NBA was full of nothing but great guys. Too bad they were Lakers. At least Ray Allen was a dick to justify my hate for the Celtics

JasonJohnHorn
05-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Kobe, couldn't be nicer

I think Kobe could be WAY nicer. The homophobic slur? The Bynum trade demand video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3-lpFToU9k

The fued with karl Malone (Kobe claimed he tried sleeping with his wife).

The Shaq fued (much rumour, mush in question, but we all know, something went down there, and neither player was in the right).

And i'm not going to touch the alleged rape, but I'm just gonna leave at:

Kobe COULD be MUCH nicer.

kblo247
05-18-2011, 10:36 PM
You will get one Kareem, just shut the hell up for now. Buss and the rest of the Lakers have a lot more to worry about.

Kareem went on twitter. He also said it isn't even about the statue but about being disrespected by management (a Buss family member), the statue was just the straw that broke the camel's back it seems. He is going to be on Mike and Mike to tell all according him, this morning.

This reminds me of when Kobe, Phil, Rambis, and Jeanie all went in public media rage mode in the summer of 07 because of Jim Buss.

Bill Russell is getting his statue after 40 years. Laker immortal Jerry West waited 37 years for his statue. My wait has only been 22 yrs.

Rumor has it that I will be getting a statue. A caveat for all my fans-don't hold your breath. Lakers don't care about me.

The only reason I endure is because of all the support I get from Laker fans everywhere I go. Thanks to all for your appreciation.

Rumor has it that I will be getting a statue. A caveat for all my fans-don't hold your breath. Lakers don't care about me. #KAJ33

@Kim__Brooke Kim, an insult is an insult. If I didn't speak up no one would know how I feel about this. Thanks for your support! #KAJ33

@lukehagfors No tears just an oppty to state how I feel about the way things are. Justice deferred is justice denied. #KAJ33

@realjazz2011 Re the Buss Family, I don't if you can be sure about that! #KAJ33

@heyAndrew What prompted me has been a steady diet of disrespect from the supposedly wonderful Laker family. see Sporting News for the story

@lukehagfors No tears just an oppty to state how I feel about the way things are. Justice deferred is justice denied. #KAJ33

@MovieViral A slight is a slight. There is no bitterness. Laker fans have always let me know that they appreciated me. That is sufficient.

Lakers Fans are top shelf and I thank you for remembering my contributions as a player and as a coach. I love you all! #KAJ33

@EverythingLaker Should we mention the straw that broke the camels back ?

. Its not about a getting a statue because I'm over it - its about RESPECT! Lakers have given me the absolute minimum of respect. #KAJ33

Smart_Suzie I don't think at this point this can be rectified as this is the first time I have ever made my feelings public. Moving on.

Hellcrooner
05-18-2011, 11:25 PM
hey captain it could be worst.

You could ahve lead the team to 6 rings , 5 straigths and not have your frigging number up in the rafters.

Ask Mikan....

GSRaider
05-18-2011, 11:34 PM
He should have a statue in front of staples... Greatest center of all time...

SteveNash
05-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Kareem doesn't have a statue primarily because of his bad attitude.

The lakers that do have a statue were lifelong Lakers. Kareem was a Buck also. Probably why Wilt doesn't have one either.

He might get one and I wouldn't be mad at all. The Captain was the man but look how long it took West to get one and Russel is just now getting a statue.

Yeah, but De La Hoya sucks and has only boxed professionally in LA twice. And Gretzky was no Kings lifelong.

Raph12
05-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Maybe Milwaukee's busy building one :shrug:

asandhu23
05-18-2011, 11:56 PM
They should have his and Wilt's guarding each other and Wilt blocking his skyhook. :D

also W's should have his, Rick Barry and Nate Thurmond's

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-19-2011, 12:00 AM
I think Kobe could be WAY nicer. The homophobic slur? The Bynum trade demand video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3-lpFToU9k

The fued with karl Malone (Kobe claimed he tried sleeping with his wife).

The Shaq fued (much rumour, mush in question, but we all know, something went down there, and neither player was in the right).

And i'm not going to touch the alleged rape, but I'm just gonna leave at:

Kobe COULD be MUCH nicer.

I don't know about you, but I can only truly judge a person on MY encounters with them. I can't and won't judge people off of the medias opinions, internet rumors, or news paper writers. And when I met Kobe and the other players I listed, they were very nice and down to earth. When I met Kareem and Cooper, they were jerks. I know my opinions of all of them may be flawed because I base them off of one encounter with each guy, and those guys may really be the opposite of when I met them. But I think my way of judging a person is better than thinking a guy is a dick because he said a bad word, wanted to improve his team by trading for a hall of famer, didn't like a teammate trying to sleep with his wife, part of a childish feud, and cheating on his wife.

As the scripture in your Sig indicates, it important to treat everyone with kindness and respect. And Kobe and the others did just that. There were no cameras around, no reporters around, and no chance to gain any notoriety from being respectful to a nobody like me. But they were, and I will always hold all of them in high regard, no matter what any reporter wants to write about them.

RaidersLakers24
05-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Btw I met Karl Malone once and he was a dick to me he ended up giving me his autograph but it wasn't till after he treated me like ****!
So I tend to believe Kobe more then Malone on that story!
What sucks is I don't even know where I left his autograph smh

Dankster
05-19-2011, 05:00 AM

Wilt played at the tail end of his career at LA--if the dude was there instead of the philadelphia warriors he would've had the 1st statue erected at Staples no question. Prime Wilt was in Philadelphia, not Los Angeles.

Abdul-Jabbar and Magic is probably the most dynamic 1-2 punch in history of the NBA....6 MVP's and 5 rings allows him to make comments like this....

Hangtime
05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Kareem seems to be more bothered by not getting other opportunities with the organization than this simply being about a statue. That's where the respect factor comes in at. He feels strongly about not being offered a real coaching position when he has expressed his desire to do so.

They have assured him that he will get a statue so that's not the primary issue. It's really ironic because the late Wilt Chamberlain felt disrespected by the league in general because of the praise Kareem got during his career. He was very bitter about it in his later years. It seems at some point after great players retire they feel as if fans, the league, the organization they played for or even the city itself disrespected or didn't appreciate them in some fashion.

smith&wesson
05-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Id put up a kareem statue before i put up a magic statue. the man is the nba's all time leading scorer, a hall of famer, 19 time all star, 6x champion. the guy who scored 101 points in a game. he holds records no one will ever reach.

Tanakid777
05-19-2011, 02:09 PM
hey captain it could be worst.

You could ahve lead the team to 6 rings , 5 straigths and not have your frigging number up in the rafters.

Ask Mikan....

Oh yea. Too bad Kareem couldn't play in an infantile, segregated league that Earl Boykins could've starred in

jockrider
05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
we should get a andrea bargnani statue.

blacknell
05-19-2011, 02:32 PM
why does Oscar De la Hoya have a statue outside staples center? He couldn't even beat the big name boxers in his time

Crackadalic
05-19-2011, 02:51 PM
6x champ 6x MVP all time leading scorer and 3 time college champ. I would complain too

Max Power
05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
De La Hoya before Kareem? That's a joke.

The De La Hoya statue is there to pander to a specific group.

And it ain't boxing fans.

OaklandsFinest
05-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Kareem Abdul Jabar is the all tim leading scorer and the only two people who should have an argument for being more deserving of a statue outside Staples than him are Magic and West. Still don't really understand why Oscar De La Hoya has one before Kareem. De La Hoya was far from the greatest boxer of all time but you can make an argument for Kareem being top 2 or 3 basketball players of all time, played at UCLA, came to the Lakers and was one of the greatest players ever. So he deffinately has a point.

Me and Mr. T
05-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Id put up a kareem statue before i put up a magic statue. the man is the nba's all time leading scorer, a hall of famer, 19 time all star, 6x champion. the guy who scored 101 points in a game. he holds records no one will ever reach.

Kareem never scored 101 points in a game lolz

blacknell
05-23-2011, 08:33 AM
De La Hoya before Kareem? That's a joke.

The De La Hoya statue is there to pander to a specific group.

And it ain't boxing fans.

are you refering to the mexicans?

Jaji
05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
I can't stand Kareem. What a sellout.

Tony_Starks
05-23-2011, 11:51 AM
As a Laker fan I think Kareem has a point. I don't think its just about the statue its about them not really appreciating him in general. For whatever reason the Lakers never really totally embraced Kareem like they did the other greats. He gets his occasional shout out.

Kareem also seemed real salty over how they treated him as compared to Magic. At the end of the day he has to realize though that he created this image of being aloof and unaccessable while Magic was this big gregarious, larger than life figure that everyone wanted to be around. Part of this is his doing.....

Hellcrooner
05-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Oh yea. Too bad Kareem couldn't play in an infantile, segregated league that Earl Boykins could've starred in

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0705/gallery.nba.never.to.win.mvp/images/mikan.jpg

owned.