PDA

View Full Version : Clippers GM does not regret trading away pick

phoenix_bladen
05-18-2011, 01:17 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/05/17/no-regrets-for-clippers/

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS (WEST COAST OFFICE) – The deal the Clippers celebrated in February as the chance to add Mo Williams and ditch Baron Davis and his bloated contract became the source of at least an instant of stabbing pain Tuesday when the Lottery pick included in the trade turned into the No. 1 pick in the Draft for the Cavaliers.

Cleveland got the selection along with Davis for Williams and Jamario Moon, and so Cleveland will almost certainly take Kyrie Irving with the top selection on June 23 as the Duke freshman becomes the point guard of the future for the Cavaliers instead of the Clippers. Guess what the Clips will be hearing about all summer?

“Protecting the pick was never an option,” L.A. general manager Neil Olshey told NBA.com. “There is no way to Monday morning quarterback this (since) our draft position wouldn’t have been the same had we not made the deal as I’m sure we would not have finished 11-11 post-trade without Mo Williams.

“Additionally, we had a 97-percent chance of sitting here tonight with Baron Davis (taking up 25 percent of our cap), the eighth pick in a weak draft and no cap flexibility. Adding Mo Williams and $8.5 million in cap room gave us a better opportunity to become a playoff team next year than adding a seventh player under 23 with no NBA experience.”

Saying adding protection to the pick — for the top three, for example — was not possible is an indication the clause would have been a deal breaker for the Cavaliers. Given the chance to scuttle the deal or jump on the rare chance to move Davis’ contract, the Clippers took the risk that would blow up on them months later.

The Clippers figured, or hoped, they were trading the No. 8 choice in a bad draft and that there was little chance of a bad outcome. Indeed, there was only a 2.8 percent chance the pick would move all the way to the top. Welcome to that bad outcome.

koreancabbage
05-18-2011, 01:29 PM
obviously he's going to say that.

horrible trade though. he's not really saving that much from the Baron Davis deal and they aren't that much better without him.

they added a number one pick and they would be at least in the hunt for a playoff spot. Irving off of the bench anyone? or DWill playing the SF position.

Davis
Gordon
Williams
Griffin
Kama

is pretty scary.

Johann
05-18-2011, 01:33 PM
People think LAC only got Mo Williams.. they also got Apollo 13!!! lol

...horrible trade

MrfadeawayJB
05-18-2011, 01:34 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Of course he will say he doesnt regret it, but if he could have had it they have a scary team. Draft Irving, trade Mo Williams, and you got a playoff team in the making!

Irving/Bledsoe
Gordon/ Foye
Aminu/ Gomes
Griffin/Smith
Kaman/ Jordan?

LAC would be a popular place for free agents to flock, plus you would have a big 3 for the future!

mttwlsn16
05-18-2011, 01:36 PM
saved plenty of money for 2012 FA, barons contract gone, moon gone, mo williams likely gone, and theyre going to try to lure someone like chris paul or deron williams in. they dont need yet another young kid, especially someone like irving who played like 15 games all year. they need veteran leadership and thats what theyre aiming for. it really wasnt a bad trade.

bosox3431
05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
They wouldn't have got the number 1 anyway

iggypop123
05-18-2011, 01:42 PM
they cant give extensions to jordan, gordon and griffin with that horrible baron davis contract on them. why would you reject giving up your first if it means keeping those guys and you had a 97% chance of being right .

koreancabbage
05-18-2011, 01:43 PM

b/c of conspiracy theory right? cuz its their pick at the number 1 slot right now.

StriveGreatness
05-18-2011, 01:47 PM

Exactly what I was gonna say.

AIsixersFK
05-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Of course he will say he doesnt regret it, but if he could have had it they have a scary team. Draft Irving, trade Mo Williams, and you got a playoff team in the making!

Irving/Bledsoe
Gordon/ Foye
Aminu/ Gomes
Griffin/Smith
Kaman/ Jordan?

LAC would be a popular place for free agents to flock, plus you would have a big 3 for the future!

:drool: that lineup 3 yrs down the road would be filthy and > Lakers.

Chronz
05-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Undecided, either way the way the team is going he has nothing to fear. Lots of GREAT teams in NBA history could have been even greater but nobody gets everything right, and a 2% chance isnt something you plan for.

nastynice
05-18-2011, 01:52 PM
There's no way he coulda known they would've gotten the #1 pick. The trade made sense, I'm a b diddy fan, but it still made sense from their point of view, at the time. There's no way to predict that you'll have the #1 pick or not, and matter of fact, playing the percentage game they woulda been foolish to put their hopes in the %2 or whatever chance that they'll get a top 3 pick

knicks_champ
05-18-2011, 01:59 PM
He never knew it was going to be a good pick. He took a risk in trading a pick to dump a big salary in a weak draft.

richiesaurus310
05-18-2011, 02:10 PM
It was still a great trade. This trade gives us the cap space to get a max contract player in 2012.

Chris Paul or Derron Williams>Kyrie Irving

airforceones25
05-18-2011, 02:14 PM

Irving/Bledsoe
Gordon/ Foye
Aminu/ Gomes
Griffin/Smith
Kaman/ Jordan?

We wouldn't have Mo Williams. It would be Baron Davis. Nobody wants Baron. The only reason they took his ridiculously bloated contract was because Cleveland needed picks. So like Olshey points out it was our only chance to rid of the cancer Baron. Good luck having Baron mentoring Kyrie in Cleveland. Your only option now is to buy him out. But that's not exactly an easy pill to swallow seeing as he's owed basically $30million dollars. =)

Also, I laugh at everyone thinking a kid who only played 11 games can change the Clippers drastically. Olshey made a statement by trading away that pick. The Clippers have their core and they don't need another kid. What they need is solid veteran presence to go with the young tremendous talent they have now. To top it all off I don't even see much difference from Irving to Bledsoe's games to begin with.

Car Ramrod
05-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Still a good trade. There was no way they knew they were going to get the first pick and getting ridding of Davis and his contract in this draft is as good as winning the lottery anyways.

Sure the GM has to say that, but he's not wrong either.

Supa
05-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Well, guess it has to be the Clippers. Portland fans can stop claiming their franchise has the worst lucks; not even close.

---

justinnum1
05-18-2011, 02:54 PM
You think he would publicly admit it?

Lil Half Dead
05-18-2011, 02:56 PM
What is he supposed to say? "Yeah we really **** the bed on that one, Wish we had a do-over button"?

AddiX
05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't think it's a big deal, it's not like there missing out on the next d rose or bron.

And now that they dumped Davis contract and have Blake, they can add Some nice pieces through free agency.

Irving is not what people make him out to be anyway.

mttwlsn16
05-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't think it's a big deal, it's not like there missing out on the next d rose or bron.

And now that they dumped Davis contract and have Blake, they can add Some nice pieces through free agency.

Irving is not what people make him out to be anyway.

this

Chronz
05-18-2011, 03:34 PM
What is he supposed to say? "Yeah we really **** the bed on that one, Wish we had a do-over button"?

No because that would be a lie, had he kept the pick and openly held out hope for that 2% chance of winning a lottery then would have been a moron.

SteveNash
05-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Trading for Mo Williams didn't save them that much money....

Chronz
05-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Trading for Mo Williams didn't save them that much money....
We could flip him into Billups if we package Kaman I think.

Young and Stupid
05-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Obviously, now the trade doesn't look as great as it did before, but it's still a good trade. The Clippers should have protected the pick -- although, reports indicate that they were unable to -- but the chance of landing the first pick was so slim that it was a good and (I'm sure) calculated risk. Let's not forget that the Clippers have the Wolves' unprotected first-round pick next season, in what is shaping up to be one of the best drafts ever.

This is how I see the Clippers looking in 2012:
Chris Paul/Eric Bledsoe
Eric Gordon/scrub
Andre Iguodala/Ryan Gomes
Blake Griffin/scrub
DeAndre Jordan/pick

I envision the Clippers acquiring Iggy for something close to Kaman and Aminu. I expect the Hornets to realize that Paul isn't going to resign and look to trade him -- the Clippers will offer them something along the lines of: Mo Williams, Willie Warren, T'Wolves' 2012 first-round pick, Clippers' 2012 second-round pick and Clippers' 2013 first-round pick. If the market is strong enough, then they might be forced to get Eric Gordon involved (I'm of the opinion that they won't need to, but it's a possibility).

The Clippers have an extremely bright future. I expect that majority to respond with something along the lines of: "with Sterling as the owner, that will never happen." All I can say is that we'll see.

I'm well-aware of Sterling's antics (and his troubled history), but I sincerely believe that we'll see CP3 in a Clippers jersey some 2012.

**I'm not a Clippers fan, by the way.

Rentzias
05-18-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm sure they took a look at the incoming draft class, and as mentioned, hedging your bets on 2% isn't the best approach. There was probably far more research done into this than just, "Well, I hope that doesn't become a high pick in a good draft."

DeadlyVeyerus31
05-18-2011, 05:15 PM
:drool: that lineup 3 yrs down the road would be filthy and > Lakers.
Irving
Gordon
Griffin

Why is everybody so high on a kid that played a total of 19 games and was injured most of the season. He comes from a program that does not produce great point guards. Please name me a Duke PG that is great?

Giantwarrior
05-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Im sure it annoyed him a bit, but who would have known? and who cares.

nastynice
05-18-2011, 05:21 PM
We wouldn't have Mo Williams. It would be Baron Davis. Nobody wants Baron. The only reason they took his ridiculously bloated contract was because Cleveland needed picks. So like Olshey points out it was our only chance to rid of the cancer Baron. Good luck having Baron mentoring Kyrie in Cleveland. Your only option now is to buy him out. But that's not exactly an easy pill to swallow seeing as he's owed basically $30million dollars. =)

Baron's the man. You shut ur mouth

SteveNash
05-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Why is everybody so high on a kid that played a total of 19 games and was injured most of the season. He comes from a program that does not produce great point guards. Please name me a Duke PG that is great?

Jay Williams?

Past history with college's is irrelevant anyway.

Where were all the elite PG's at MSU before Magic, at Gonzaga before Stockton?

We could flip him into Billups if we package Kaman I think.

What?

mttwlsn16
05-18-2011, 05:35 PM

thats what im sayin :clap:

Chronz
05-18-2011, 05:37 PM
What?
NY needs a Center bad and Billups is their best bargaining chip, its basically why they extended him.

Depends on a few things going right but I predict Billups+Rony for Kaman+Mo/Foye will be in play next year.

NetsPaint
05-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Unrelated, I wanted Baron to stay on the Clippers. Had chemistry with Griffin, and I always liked Davis.

The trade wasn't bad, they're gonna be giving two or three of their younger players big contracts soon. They have other young players too that have a bright future.

Da Knicks
05-18-2011, 06:56 PM
NY needs a Center bad and Billups is their best bargaining chip, its basically why they extended him.

Depends on a few things going right but I predict Billups+Rony for Kaman+Mo/Foye will be in play next year.

I could see this happening very easily.

Chronz
05-18-2011, 07:04 PM
I could see this happening very easily.

Its something being discussed in the Clipper forum but Im not sure what to make of it. My initial hope is that Kaman and Mo play so well that we want to keep them around but if we have a shot at a legit star in FA now that they know we have a solid core, Id be for it. Chauncey might even be able to play decently for a few more years.