PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Perk?

LongWayFromHome
05-18-2011, 03:18 AM
I have coached a lot of basketball and love defense and totally appreciate guys who do the little things...

That said, I just don't get the Kendrick Perkins thing. It seems to me like he's close to worthless. I wasn't impressed with his D in the MEM series, Dirk just embarrassed him tonight (even compared to the other matchups with Dirk tonight).

Oh and WHY DO THE PICK AND ROLL WITH HIM. Mavs doubled ball everytime and just left Perk all alone to do nothing.

LongWayFromHome
05-18-2011, 03:22 AM
anybody have video of him doing good things?

Sadds The Gr8
05-18-2011, 03:27 AM
i've always said he's overrated

championships
05-18-2011, 03:31 AM
He is just being exposed to the real player he is. He really benefited from playing with Boston next to KG. I have always thought people were overrating him when he went to OKC.

sep11ie
05-18-2011, 03:40 AM
I've said that forever myself. He was a flash in the pan. Baby had a good series himself...once. He is slow, can't shoot, can't dunk, can't block, can't play d against anyone worth a ****, he's kinda garbage. Id take Chuck Hayes over him ANY day of the week(and for a third of the cost).

D1JM
05-18-2011, 04:15 AM
He sweats to much. I bet it drains him. Plus, his uniform should weight like 10 more pounds with all that sweat pouring on it

Raph12
05-18-2011, 04:39 AM
He's a good 1v1 defender for guys who just use pure force, otherwise he buys on most pumpfakes, has horrid lateral quickness and is a non-factor on offense...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-18-2011, 05:05 AM

this

magichatnumber9
05-18-2011, 05:41 AM
When ESPN wants to insult Boston they will say Perk was there toughness. I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid. You need toughness in Hockey not Basketball. 20 years ago Perk would be in a better position. The way the game is refereed, there is no place for bruts like Perk. He is being exposed as a worthless center with no lateral quickness. Great signing OKC.

North Yorker
05-18-2011, 07:17 AM

This x10.

I got ripped by Bos fans when I said he was no better than Brandon Haywood 1 or 2 yrs ago.

ttam68
05-18-2011, 07:36 AM
He's only good against post players. Against Tyson Chandler and Dirk he's pretty worthless. AGainst the Lakers or Magic he'd be huge, otherwise not so much.

Margie
05-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Bynum punks him. He's a big mean looking stiff.

redsox0717
05-18-2011, 08:05 AM
It's funny how everyone is saying he is overrated now, but immediately after the Celtics traded him, there was a **** storm saying the Celtics just lost their defensive identity and toughness. Only a small handful of people, including me, were saying he was overrated.

Celticsfan2007
05-18-2011, 08:41 AM
First off, props to Danny Ainge for pulling off one of the biggest steals in terms of trades last season.

Perks not healthy right now. You don't just 'come back' from a serious knee injury until at least a year removed from it. He's probably about 80% of what he can get back too... I'll hold judgement on his play until at least the middle of next season before I make any harsh judgements on this guy. But there's no doubt this guy just looks slow out there right now.

Carey
05-18-2011, 08:44 AM
So i guess those two big braces have nothing to do with it? You guys are hilarious, He's obviously not healthy but he's gutting it out. Overrated, Underrated i could care less how you guys wanna label it. A healthy Perk will get you 6 to 10 ppg, 10 rebs, be an enforcer and a elite back to the basket post defender. Im sure boston would have loved to have even this banged up version of Perk to when Lebron and Wade were going to the rim.

Chronz
05-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Why are you all acting like hes healthy?

ne3xchamps
05-18-2011, 09:03 AM
to the OP, if you are a thunder fan, I'm sorry you guys got the short end of the stick on that deal. That's why boston didn't want to offer him more than what they did. ainge knew he wasn't worth that kind of money.

twoearl
05-18-2011, 09:21 AM
anybody have video of him doing good things?

This. Perkins fit Boston's system well. But he is basically a role player. His best attribute is being able to rough up Paul Gasol and Frustrate Dwight Howard. That's it.

TheDiggler
05-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Perk looks bad. But, I say give him more time.

jonline87
05-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Because he's fat and stupid.

Hellcrooner
05-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Because you are allowed to Hack Zach and Marc ( or Boozer, or Bosh, or stou or pau) how much you like and take them out of games.

But you cant touch the german withouth being called a foul.

"star Calls" make defenders lifes difficult.

BallaDrake601
05-18-2011, 09:27 AM
wow its funny to me how it went from BOS cant win without Perk to Perk is overrated smh

Squad13
05-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Always been overrated. I hate that clown

Tarheels23
05-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Just three months ago when the Celtics got rid of him many people on here were calling him Kendrick Abdul Jabar Robinson Olajuwon Oneal Perkins.

Funny how things change so fast.

ne3xchamps
05-18-2011, 09:46 AM
wow its funny to me how it went from BOS cant win without Perk to Perk is overrated smh

just for the record, I didn't think we would have made it past the heat nevermind the bulls, with or without perk. But I see what you are saying. Perk was a good fit for boston, but now he is exposed to the fullest of what he really is.

ne3xchamps
05-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Just three months ago when the Celtics got rid of him many people on here were calling him Kendrick Abdul Jabar Robinson Olajuwon Oneal Perkins.

Funny how things change so fast.

:laugh:

LongWayFromHome
05-18-2011, 10:04 AM
p

The ChILL
05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
He kind of reminds me of one of the aliens from SpaceJam...

tjlipford
05-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Come on, dude had major knee surgery & is clearly not healthy right now. He is still gutting it out, but he was/is playing against some very good big men in Randolph & Dirk who is playing untamed right now.

He is not as bad as he looks & anyone would benefit from playing next to KG and everyone knows that. Wait til the middle of next year to make any harsh statements or judgements about him.

LongWayFromHome
05-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Come on, dude had major knee surgery & is clearly not healthy right now. He is still gutting it out, but he was/is playing against some very good big men in Randolph & Dirk who is playing untamed right now.

He is not as bad as he looks & anyone would benefit from playing next to KG and everyone knows that. Wait til the middle of next year to make any harsh statements or judgements about him.

That's fair to say.

However if this is the case - Why are the THUNDER acting like he's healthy? - He is literally worthless out there right now, at least against this team. If he's hurt and ineffective, don't play him.

ChitownSports16
05-18-2011, 10:34 AM

This X10000... C's got the better end on that Deal.

Baller1
05-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Jesus Christ... For once, can people not jump to unprecedented conclusions? Perk is at about 60-65% health right now, according to the organization. He hobbling around with two giant knee braces, and it's obvious that those are completely hindering his mobility and athleticism.

KnicksorBust
05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
So i guess those two big braces have nothing to do with it? You guys are hilarious, He's obviously not healthy but he's gutting it out. Overrated, Underrated i could care less how you guys wanna label it. A healthy Perk will get you 6 to 10 ppg, 10 rebs, be an enforcer and a elite back to the basket post defender. Im sure boston would have loved to have even this banged up version of Perk to when Lebron and Wade were going to the rim.

Saved me the trouble. People praise him for his defense and intangibles but no one runs around calling him an All-Star. Dirk is probably the most difficult cover in the league for him. It doesn't mean he's getting exposed. He is what he is and the Thunder will just need to keep him on Chandler and leave him away from Dirk. Next game it wouldn't surprise me if he blocked 4 Barea drives and grabbed 13 rebounds in a winning effort. There's not a team in the league that wouldn't love to have him.

LongWayFromHome
05-18-2011, 11:21 AM
again, I bet Caron Butler is healthy enough to sludge around the court right now and be useless. So if he's hurt is his excuse for being useless WHY IS HE PLAYING SO MUCH?

Baller1
05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
again, I bet Caron Butler is healthy enough to sludge around the court right now and be useless. So if he's hurt is his excuse for being useless WHY IS HE PLAYING SO MUCH?

When Perk joined the team, OKC gave up ~10 less points per game compared to before he got there. Thats why.

Sadds The Gr8
05-18-2011, 11:38 AM
It's funny how everyone is saying he is overrated now, but immediately after the Celtics traded him, there was a **** storm saying the Celtics just lost their defensive identity and toughness. Only a small handful of people, including me, were saying he was overrated.
not me...i thought the deal was better for Boston.

even if they had Perkins Miami would've slapped them same way

heyman321
05-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Jesus Christ... For once, can people not jump to unprecedented conclusions? Perk is at about 60-65% health right now, according to the organization. He hobbling around with two giant knee braces, and it's obvious that those are completely hindering his mobility and athleticism.

Mobility and athleticism are two things Perkins doesn't have. What Perkins does have is the ability to miss open layups from 2 feet and be confused when he gets the ball in the key wide open, and stands around for 3 seconds and then gets called for 3 seconds lol. I saw this twice during the Memphis series.

b@llhog24
05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
He has those? :confused:

Mobility and athleticism are two things Perkins doesn't have. What Perkins does have is the ability to miss open layups from 2 feet and be confused when he gets the ball in the key wide open, and stands around for 3 seconds and then gets called for 3 seconds lol. I saw this twice during the Memphis series.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: this made my day!

D2theJ
05-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Hes definitely not 100% and I think that's a huge reason why he isn't playing like he has in past playoffs. He's not blocking shots like he used to it looks like he lost some of his lift and I think that's huge for his game.

bagwell368
05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Perkins was just another player his first 4 years. KG and Coach T pulled him in and gave him a role. He played very well in '07-'09 - for a 25 MPG role player.

He started to sag a bit last year, and this year his injury explains most of his issues, along with being too heavy, not being able to dribble, catch a pass, or shoot more then 9 feet from the basket.

Next year he should get back to something like his '09-'10 self, a very effective role player in the paint against large centers and 4's. He's become a liability more then 12' from the basket on anyone, and cannot cover quick bigs. He has the knees now. I do not believe he will ever earn his contract, but if they play in the Finals against Howard he'll do a good job - if health allows.

Given the complex of issues facing the Celts against the Heat once Rondo got hurt, the Celts don't beat the Heat w/ or w/o Perk. They have Green who is restricted, and they have a #1 pick vs. signing a guy with a body type that doesn't tend to last coming off not one but two knee injuries.

Ainge wins this on a TKO in the 2nd.

bagwell368
05-18-2011, 11:56 AM
When Perk joined the team, OKC gave up ~10 less points per game compared to before he got there. Thats why.

No sir, not nearly. Look at his +/- and WS/48, ORtg and DRtg...

No sir, look at who was made a starter (Ibaka) and look at the explosion in his stats and effect on the game. That's by far the bulk of the improvement.

eugene
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
this

He's a good 1v1 defender for guys who just use pure force, otherwise he buys on most pumpfakes, has horrid lateral quickness and is a non-factor on offense...

Bravo95
05-18-2011, 12:10 PM
He's still not healthy, so I won't judge him until next season.

Dallas' ball movement is going to frustrate them regardless, and on the other end, OKC looked confused and settled for jumpers when the Mavs threw that zone at them.

PrettyBoyJ
05-18-2011, 12:16 PM

:clap: I've been saying this forever

DeyAce
05-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Overrated by ESPN

DoJoTheSlasher
05-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Don't like him one damn bit. He's dirty and thinks he is better than everyone else. That said, he is the reason Boston got past Dwight Howard. He is a good defensive center. He probably is a little bit overrated to the point where people call him a top 5 center in the NBA, but he is a good starting center. He is what we wanted Brendan Haywood to be, a center who plays defense and rebounds the ball very well. Tyson Chandler is head and shoulders better but Perk is a good player. Not great but he is a good starter.

bagwell368
05-18-2011, 12:49 PM
the reason Boston got past Dwight Howard. He is a good defensive center. He probably is a little bit overrated to the point where people call him a top 5 center in the NBA, but he is a good starting center. He is what we wanted Brendan Haywood to be, a center who plays defense and rebounds the ball very well. Tyson Chandler is head and shoulders better but Perk is a good player. Not great but he is a good starter.

He might start, but a guy with 25 MPG is a role playing starter, not a key starter.

As for Howard, the Celts could have signed a goon to deliver Howard to the line, that and 3 HOF'ers, and Rondo was more then enough. This year it would have been much more then enough to beat the two dimensional Magic.

droalex
05-18-2011, 12:50 PM
He has no lift because of his injury. Give him time

Carey
05-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Perkins was just another player his first 4 years. KG and Coach T pulled him in and gave him a role. He played very well in '07-'09 - for a 25 MPG role player.

He started to sag a bit last year, and this year his injury explains most of his issues, along with being too heavy, not being able to dribble, catch a pass, or shoot more then 9 feet from the basket.

Next year he should get back to something like his '09-'10 self, a very effective role player in the paint against large centers and 4's. He's become a liability more then 12' from the basket on anyone, and cannot cover quick bigs. He has the knees now. I do not believe he will ever earn his contract, but if they play in the Finals against Howard he'll do a good job - if health allows.

Given the complex of issues facing the Celts against the Heat once Rondo got hurt, the Celts don't beat the Heat w/ or w/o Perk. They have Green who is restricted, and they have a #1 pick vs. signing a guy with a body type that doesn't tend to last coming off not one but two knee injuries.

Ainge wins this on a TKO in the 2nd.

With all that said you still tried to sign the guy to an extension, one he turned down....

Presti on the other hand wasnt gonna keep Krstic or Green and he traded them for a a big who when healthy is the best back to the basket defensive big in the league. He'll rebound and defend the rim. I'll give you the first round pick, it was an extra asset, we dont need anymore picks, we are up to our ears in young talent.

So tell me again how Ainge wins this?

Hustlenomics
05-18-2011, 12:55 PM
he's a good defender..he was just a great fit for Boston he's nothing special

SMH!
05-18-2011, 01:00 PM
He sweats to much. I bet it drains him. Plus, his uniform should weight like 10 more pounds with all that sweat pouring on it

if that was the case, KG would have been a bust.

Baller1
05-18-2011, 01:14 PM
No sir, not nearly. Look at his +/- and WS/48, ORtg and DRtg...

No sir, look at who was made a starter (Ibaka) and look at the explosion in his stats and effect on the game. That's by far the bulk of the improvement.

Judging by your past two posts, you're bitter as all hell. I'm sure you were just as devastated by the Perk trade as everyone else in Boston.

bagwell368
05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
With all that said you still tried to sign the guy to an extension, one he turned down....

Nice try, I didn't try to sign him to anything. Ainge calibrated an offer to satisfy the fans and other onlookers. He knew that Perkins could get more elsewhere due to the salary rules. Perk refused (thank god) - so Ainge set to working maximizing the value of his leaving. Nice and simple.

Presti on the other hand wasnt gonna keep Krstic or Green and he traded them for a a big who when healthy is the best back to the basket defensive big in the league.

If OKC waited they could have gotten him in a bidding war. They wanted him this year, that's the the deal and of course the salary had to work out that why he also took Nate - who was 0 for 5 last night combined - with 7 games played all together. Meanwhile the Celts needed a back up 3, a talented offensive 4/5, and in Green also got a small quick #4. The fact that Kristic got hurt twice and Doc was married to the inferior Davis hurt the Celts side of the deal - so far. Meanwhile Perk's health isn't good, he carries a piano on his back, and he's played poorly ever since getting to OKC (after missing his what first 9 games w/ injury??)

He'll rebound and defend the rim. I'll give you the first round pick, it was an extra asset, we dont need anymore picks, we are up to our ears in young talent.

Perkins Dreb% is well off his last 3 years, this year in Boston and OKC Krstic had a better Oreb%. Perkins is a combined - what 6.0 PER this year? He was a -18 last night, he got beached by Nene, and then the two bigs in the last series. You actually are arguing he has done anything of true value this year?????

I just did, Perk is garbage this year, with no promises of health next year and beyond - he's on 26.5 - looks to be 33, has no offensive game outside of putbacks (his assists last night were emergency pass outs that could just as well have been TOV).

Also despite the casual talking heads that take the story of the trade as truth, people in this thread and in the Celt thread have actually watched all of this happen and most are disgusted with Perkins poor play and Doc sitting on Green.

From a Celt perspective we don't win the title w/ or w/o him and now we have Green as restricted and a pick, and no big contract for half of half a player. He's OKC's headache now.

bagwell368
05-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Judging by your past two posts, you're bitter as all hell. I'm sure you were just as devastated by the Perk trade as everyone else in Boston.

Bitter, not in the least. I was a fan of this deal from day one (go do a search instead of sticking words in my mouth to simplify your portrait pal). I've been surprised by the bitterness tossed at Ainge, and the assumption that Perk is this year what he was last year - a bad assumption. He sucks this year on almost every front imaginable.

I'm angry Doc kept playing Baby after he started to dip in late Jan...
I'm unhappy that Shaq couldn't keep playing the way he was
I'm bummed that KG started to decline
I'm ripped that Rondo had his arm hyperextended by Wade
I'm not happy Green and Krstic didn't keep getting the minutes they got at first when the Celts played their best offensive BBall of the season.
Wasn't pleased to see PP melt at the end of the last two heat games.

Adding Perkins to all of that doesn't change any of it. and doesn't get us past the Heat. The Celts are wiining so far, unless Perkins turns into the 2007-2009 Perk - good luck with that. That guy was mostly a creation of Coach T and KG, you'll see for yourself next year.

Hustlenomics
05-18-2011, 01:26 PM

naw he's been saying the same thing about Perk all season in the Celtic forum :laugh2:

Baller1
05-18-2011, 01:27 PM
naw he's been saying the same thing about Perk all season in the Celtic forum :laugh2:

Well at least he's consistent then...

tjlipford
05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
That's fair to say.

However if this is the case - Why are the THUNDER acting like he's healthy? - He is literally worthless out there right now, at least against this team. If he's hurt and ineffective, don't play him.

I agree, but u can't really fault Perk for going out there and playing. It really wouldn't do him any good to sit out when he can play, & it wouldn't help his recovery time either. He is not effective right now because he is recovering from major knee surgery & he doesn't play alongside KG & that's the reality of it. I think both teams will benefit in the long run

Carey
05-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Nice try, I didn't try to sign him to anything. Ainge calibrated an offer to satisfy the fans and other onlookers. He knew that Perkins could get more elsewhere due to the salary rules. Perk refused (thank god) - so Ainge set to working maximizing the value of his leaving. Nice and simple.

If OKC waited they could have gotten him in a bidding war. They wanted him this year, that's the the deal and of course the salary had to work out that why he also took Nate - who was 0 for 5 last night combined - with 7 games played all together. Meanwhile the Celts needed a back up 3, a talented offensive 4/5, and in Green also got a small quick #4. The fact that Kristic got hurt twice and Doc was married to the inferior Davis hurt the Celts side of the deal - so far. Meanwhile Perk's health isn't good, he carries a piano on his back, and he's played poorly ever since getting to OKC (after missing his what first 9 games w/ injury??)

Perkins Dreb% is well off his last 3 years, this year in Boston and OKC Krstic had a better Oreb%. Perkins is a combined - what 6.0 PER this year? He was a -18 last night, he got beached by Nene, and then the two bigs in the last series. You actually are arguing he has done anything of true value this year?????

I just did, Perk is garbage this year, with no promises of health next year and beyond - he's on 26.5 - looks to be 33, has no offensive game outside of putbacks (his assists last night were emergency pass outs that could just as well have been TOV).

Also despite the casual talking heads that take the story of the trade as truth, people in this thread and in the Celt thread have actually watched all of this happen and most are disgusted with Perkins poor play and Doc sitting on Green.

From a Celt perspective we don't win the title w/ or w/o him and now we have Green as restricted and a pick, and no big contract for half of half a player. He's OKC's headache now.

Thats the whole point, trade assets we had that didnt fit our future to avoid getting in a bidding war in the summer. And why even mention Nate, he was a salary placeholder, he isnt in the plans at all at OKC, it's ridiculous to think otherwise. Who has ever heard of a GM offering a deal to satisfy fans and other onlookers? That cant possibly make sense to you? He made the offer because he wanted to keep him, he couldnt keep him at the number he had in mind so he traded him, dont make it look like he was just this horrible player that you dumped on OKC. Ainge was a good player but very mediocre as GM/talent evaluator. He got lucky enough to find two teams selling at the same time when he got the Allen and Garnett. I'll say this again, this is the same general manager that rescinded the Chandler trade over a toe, if he had any lingering concerns about either knee the deal wouldnt have gotten done nor would he have signed an extension. He's not a headache, if it wasnt for him, even banged up its no way we get to the WCF. Even with the braces on his presence was such a sore need, we had nobody on our roster anything like him. As far as the contract any legit starting Center in this league is gonna get overpaid when they hit free agency. Its the nature of the business but we are in excellent financial shape and the deal doesnt hamper us at all. We get him thru his prime and probably by the 3rd year will be groomng Tibor Pleiss, one of the best post prospects in europe. Overall i get it, we got so hyped as a team that people resent it now, now people wanna critique, find chinks in the armor, etc. Fact of the matter is we are experience and an offensive minded assistant away from scaring the hell out of the rest of the league for the next several years.

Chronz
05-18-2011, 02:00 PM

If you did what his initial post said (the only post that matters here), his facts are solid.

Gibby23
05-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Presti on the other hand wasnt gonna keep Krstic or Green and he traded them for a a big who when healthy is the best back to the basket defensive big in the league. He'll rebound and defend the rim. I'll give you the first round pick, it was an extra asset, we dont need anymore picks, we are up to our ears in young talent.

No he isn't. He did good against Howard for 1 season. He isn't a good rebounder for his size and position.

Hawkeye15
05-18-2011, 02:01 PM
been saying this for 3 years. Perk absolutely sucks unless you pair him with an athletic big man defensively (was KG), and he can play in an offense where he literally has to do nothing but occupy space.

He is the definition of a player who became totally and completely overrated due to a roster and a system.

I had an argument with a fellow Wolves fan who said we should chase him, and I told him that nobody would even know who Perkins is if he played for the Wolves, and he would suck.

The trade took his athletic wing defender away, and his great perimeter defense away, so now he is exposed by the better big men out west.

LongWayFromHome
05-18-2011, 02:07 PM
I agree, but u can't really fault Perk for going out there and playing. It really wouldn't do him any good to sit out when he can play, & it wouldn't help his recovery time either. He is not effective right now because he is recovering from major knee surgery & he doesn't play alongside KG & that's the reality of it. I think both teams will benefit in the long run

Sorry, I guess my point wasn't very clear.

I'm not arguing that he shouldn't play in order to help him recover or because he isnt healthy enough.

The argument is if he isnt healthy enough to help the team - coach shouldnt play him. I feel like he is worthless for their team right now. And WHY do they keep running pick and rolls with him? lol.

iam brett favre
05-18-2011, 02:11 PM
He is easily the most overrated player in the NBA right now, other than Shaq

Lil Half Dead
05-18-2011, 03:07 PM
IMO, Kendrick Perkins isn't really that good. He benefited from playing alongside KG, which took a lot of pressure off of him, But now he's the guy in the paint for OKC and he's being exposed for what he really is. Just a big body.

bagwell368
05-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Thats the whole point, trade assets we had that didnt fit our future to avoid getting in a bidding war in the summer. And why even mention Nate, he was a salary placeholder, he isnt in the plans at all at OKC, it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

I never thought otherwise, but about 5% of the people that have argued this issue since the deal do bring him up so I am just pre-dismissing them.

Who has ever heard of a GM offering a deal to satisfy fans and other onlookers? That cant possibly make sense to you?

Do you actually know anything about Boston? Per capita the fiercest pro sport city in this country. Not only is it quite possible, it's done constantly. In particular by the Red Sox and Celtics.

He made the offer because he wanted to keep him, he couldnt keep him at the number he had in mind so he traded him, dont make it look like he was just this horrible player that you dumped on OKC.

Ainge had no specific designs on OKC. Ainge did know that there were at least 4 teams that wanted to sign Perkins next year, and one or more would want him earlier in order to be sure they got him. Also, the Celts were prevented from offering as much as other times, so it's quite possible that Ainge made the offer for fan consumption and/or for the league.

Ainge was a good player but very mediocre as GM/talent evaluator.

That's utter rubbish. Check out his deals, and his 2nd round picks, and the Title he brought for 2007-2008. Best make with specifics to back yourself up or people will wonder what is behind this claim besides animosity.

Overall i get it, we got so hyped as a team that people resent it now

You're delusional. I like OKC, and this Perkins contract more then the trade is the first wrong step that has been made so far by your GM.

Fact of the matter is we are experience and an offensive minded assistant away from scaring the hell out of the rest of the league for the next several years.

I agree overall, but, unless you are combating a traditional low post Center with slow feet, Perkins isn't going to offer much - assuming he is healthy. Do please tell me the average length of useful career a guy has ahead of him when he weighs 285 lbs and has two bad knees by age 26.5.

DO you think even with his knees cleared for next year he can stay with Nene or Randolf and other of the young fast generation of big men falling off of trees out West?

bbd24
05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Danny Ainge won this trade by a landslide. He realized he wasn't worth the money, especially the 8/9 M per OKC is now paying him. LMAO! You don't give that type of money away to a player like Perkins. Crazy.

Who wouldn't benefit playing alongside KG ? Or better yet, 4 other all stars in PP, Ray, and Rondo ?

SteveNash
05-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Perkins still doesn't look 100% and he was brought in to stop the bigger guys in the WC. He hasn't been great, but at least they haven't had to send help for him. Don't see how they get past Memphis with Green/Krstic going up against Zbo/Gasol.

BTW Green has been worse than Perkins in Boston.

magichatnumber9
05-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I've watched every game of Perks professional career. His 100% is not all that much better then what your seeing now. That's why KG got paid his salary plus some extra for making Perkins better. But that's what KG does....he's like 1.5 players out there on the court.

DoJoTheSlasher
05-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Oklahoma City is so stupid for not accepting the Chandler trade..... With Chandler, OKC is the best team in the NBA.

Carey
05-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I never thought otherwise, but about 5% of the people that have argued this issue since the deal do bring him up so I am just pre-dismissing them.

Do you actually know anything about Boston? Per capita the fiercest pro sport city in this country. Not only is it quite possible, it's done constantly. In particular by the Red Sox and Celtics.

Ainge had no specific designs on OKC. Ainge did know that there were at least 4 teams that wanted to sign Perkins next year, and one or more would want him earlier in order to be sure they got him. Also, the Celts were prevented from offering as much as other times, so it's quite possible that Ainge made the offer for fan consumption and/or for the league.

That's utter rubbish. Check out his deals, and his 2nd round picks, and the Title he brought for 2007-2008. Best make with specifics to back yourself up or people will wonder what is behind this claim besides animosity.

You're delusional. I like OKC, and this Perkins contract more then the trade is the first wrong step that has been made so far by your GM.

I agree overall, but, unless you are combating a traditional low post Center with slow feet, Perkins isn't going to offer much - assuming he is healthy. Do please tell me the average length of useful career a guy has ahead of him when he weighs 285 lbs and has two bad knees by age 26.5.

DO you think even with his knees cleared for next year he can stay with Nene or Randolf and other of the young fast generation of big men falling off of trees out West?

Perk will be fine, he'll be able to do the job we are asking him to which exactly what i stated before. We have an emerging Serge Ibaka, we have Cole Aldrich and Byron Mullens developing behind them, Tibor Pleiss overseas. Perk wasnt this savior, he's a piece of the puzzle.

Jewelz0376
05-18-2011, 05:07 PM
He is def not worth 10 mil or however much he wanted when he was on bos

bbd24
05-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Perk will be fine, he'll be able to do the job we are asking him to which exactly what i stated before. We have an emerging Serge Ibaka, we have Cole Aldrich and Byron Mullens developing behind them, Tibor Pleiss overseas. Perk wasnt this savior, he's a piece of the puzzle.

He may be a piece of the puzzle, but he isn't a 8/9 M per year piece. Overpaid, big time. Thats cap hell right there.

Smart move by Ainge. Get something for him now (Krstic/Rights to Green/1st round pick), instead of letting him walk out the door for nothing while somebody else (like OKC) overpays him. Great move.

Huskerz
05-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Obviously, you guys just don't get it. Perkins is coming off of major surgery. He's playing at about 65% according to trainers. I give him credit for being out there even trying to will his team to victory. He has no explosion whatsoever and probably won't be fully recovered until the offseason. You might want to look into the situation before you go talking what you don't know.

Sportfan
05-18-2011, 06:02 PM
First off, props to Danny Ainge for pulling off one of the biggest steals in terms of trades last season.

Perks not healthy right now. You don't just 'come back' from a serious knee injury until at least a year removed from it. He's probably about 80% of what he can get back too... I'll hold judgement on his play until at least the middle of next season before I make any harsh judgements on this guy. But there's no doubt this guy just looks slow out there right now.
It's not anywhere close to a steal considering Green hasn't done much either.

If only they budged on Harden :(

AddiX
05-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Kendrick is highly overrated with that said he still has value, the problem with him is he is very matchup specific. Against some teams he's great against others he really is close to worthless.

One thing is for sure, thunder is regretting that contract right now, and Boston looks a lot less stupid for that trade.

Lakerhead4ever
05-18-2011, 06:12 PM
he might be a tad overrated..

but nobody can guard dirk anyways sooo...

bbd24
05-18-2011, 06:19 PM
It's not anywhere close to a steal considering Green hasn't done much either.

If only they budged on Harden :(

They also opened up their money factor based on the fact that Rondo, Bradley, and Pierce are the only 3 on the books after next season. They have the rights to retain Green, so if they view him as having ' not done much ' or won't do much, they can let some other team overpay for him. They can then set their sights on a different Type A free agent with the Gold 2012 free agent class. They'll have big time money to spend. They have options now. A future.

OKC is straight stuck with Perkins at 8/9 M per.

Ainge traded away Perkins before he got nothing for him as a free agent, and got Krstic/Rights to Green, and a 1st round pick to boot. In the meantime, he let some other team overpay for his services while he keeps his 4 all stars together. Great trade.

bagwell368
05-18-2011, 06:25 PM

How many slots that size do you guys have? Not enough to blithely hand one too Perk for setting picks, playing low post D, and allowing the other team to play 5 on 4 D.

Ibaka emerging is the big benefit of the deal so far.

Let's talk the day the contract is done.

KnicksR4Real
05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
jared jeffires like

islandprince
05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
he sucks n watch how he plays he tries to bully everybody in tha paint he is way overated

bagwell368
05-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Obviously, you guys just don't get it. Perkins is coming off of major surgery. He's playing at about 65% according to trainers. I give him credit for being out there even trying to will his team to victory. He has no explosion whatsoever and probably won't be fully recovered until the offseason. You might want to look into the situation before you go talking what you don't know.

Obviously we do get it. Maybe you ought to do some searches before you assume what we don't know.

Here's some homework. Find me the list of 285 lbs or better players with serious knee damage at 26 years old that go on to play at a level (for Perk 2007-2009) equal to their peak, or better for the 4 years after they recover including games lost, WS's, DRtg, ORtg, and all the rest.

BTW, Perk started to tail off last year (2009-2010) before the knee problems. Carrying a piano on your back as a 25 MPG 25 year old role player already seemed to be too much for him.

BTW, before KG and Coach T showed up in Boston, Kendrick was a 9th-12th guy with nothing special about him at all - for four years.

Do take care of your homework, you'll make less mistakes.

omdigga
05-18-2011, 06:46 PM
i enjoy his chain of family restaurants...

bagwell368
05-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Season is over for Perk, final thoughts on this season:

Per Jason Whitlock via tweet yesterday: Dirtiest NBA secret: Kendrick Perkins is toast. Wouldn't have helped Celtics win title this year. He's been terrible in OKC. Non-factor.

Per Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman:

Mavs center Tyson Chandler is a nightmare matchup for Perkins. The 7-foot-1 Chandler is one of the most athletic big men in the league, and Perkins, a more plodding, traditional center, has had problems containing him.

In three games, Perkins has scored 15 points, grabbed 14 rebounds and blocked three shots in 82 minutes. Chandler scored the same number of points in Game 2 alone, and in Game 3, Chandler pulled down one more rebound than Perkins has corralled all series.

The evidence runs even deeper.

In Perkins' 82 minutes of playing time, the Thunder has been outscored by 32 points. With Perk on the bench, the Thunder has outscored the Mavs by 23. Furthermore, with Chandler on the court, Perkins' plus/minus per 36 minutes is minus-17.7, according to NBA.com's StatsCube data.

Let's review the playoffs:

vs. Denver: Nene destroyed Perkins

vs. Memphis: Gasol wiped him out, and at times Randolf joined in. Isn't Gasol the sort of Center Perkins is supposed to handle?

vs. Dallas: Chandlers TReb's have jumped, and he seems to do what he wants. During the 2nd quarter of the final game, the announcers were all over Perk for not getting back on D.

Perkins in the regular season for OKC was 15th/18 in WS/48 (Peterson, Nate, Mullens only guys worse)

Perkins in the playoffs for OKC is: 11th/12 with only Nazr worse.

Obviously Perk is hurt, and obviously some people are still viewing him through the prism this year of what was said at deal time, not what has actually transpired. Through the end of each teams season the move gets an incomplete on both sides. Since Perk was leaving Boston and their $22M for 4 offer behind, getting a restricted Green and a #1 seems like a good pick-up. We'll see over the next few years if Perk comes back to form (no slam dunk) - and if Green and/or the pick work out well (likewise no slam dunk).

MrfadeawayJB
05-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Collison>Perk pretty obvious right now

Gibby23
05-26-2011, 11:48 AM

JJ Barea disagrees.