PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't the NBA Draft Lottery Drawings Televised?

CityofChaos
05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me the BEST logical explanation as to why the lottery drawings are done behind closed doors and not on live TV.

The best one Ive heard was to prevent another "Frozen Envelope" incident from happening/ being exposed.

John Walls Era
05-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Because its boring. The NBA invites one person from the media to judge the process every year (Doug Smith of the Toronto Star this year). TBH I don't think they rig it anyways

tyfreaks brotha
05-17-2011, 10:56 PM
There is no logicaly explanation. It could be anything. Rigged? I think. Something else? I doubt it. But ya never know

tyfreaks brotha
05-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Because its boring. The NBA invites one person from the media to judge the process every year (Doug Smith of the Toronto Star this year). TBH I don't think they rig it anyways

Yeah, it may be boring but it would bring credibilaty to the NBA.

John Walls Era
05-17-2011, 10:57 PM
AND if people are so skeptical about it, they can just say they rigged the drawing process too and say they just did it before hand.....

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-17-2011, 10:59 PM
I remember there was something behind but I forget it now.

bholly
05-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just because they like the suspense show that they do televise, where they announce everything in reverse order.

There's a representative from each team in the room when they do it, plus a few media guys and auditors (this year from Ernst and Young). I don't think they're worried about credibility that much, because they assume most people realize the 'rigged!' thing is stupid.

bholly
05-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Plus the way they do it isn't all that exciting. It's not just like they pull out a team's ball and that team wins. There are 14 balls and they pull out 4. That gives 1001 total possible combinations. They pre-assign 1000 of those combinations to the teams (the worst records get the most, etc), and leave the leftover as a re-draw.

They pull out 4, note the combination, and whoever has that combination wins. Then they put them all back in again, do the draw again, pull out 4 balls, and whoever has that combination gets the second pick, and then again for the third.

There are two reasons this sucks for TV:
1) Once a combination comes up, you still don't know which team has it, unless you have the list of all 1001 in front of you. You're still relying on them to tell you who has it. Even if they did release the list beforehand, it's no harder for them to rig it than the current way where they release the list to the teams and assume fans don't care.

2) If a team, say Cleveland, wins the first drawing, they could still pull their combination in the second drawing and have to re-do it. This could go on and on. People wouldn't watch draw after draw after draw once the first pick is already announced.

So they air just the results, always just before a second round game, because they know that's when people will watch and they'll get ratings.

Sadds The Gr8
05-17-2011, 11:19 PM
i wish i knew the answer. they should seriously televise it

Astronaut
05-17-2011, 11:27 PM

^

:clap:

JRisdabest
05-17-2011, 11:40 PM
good question

kikeyanez
05-17-2011, 11:51 PM
the cavas are back!!! THE MOVEMENT Labron who?

ChiTownPacerFan
05-18-2011, 12:03 AM
If you really think opening envelopes is more exciting than revealing ping pong balls, why not let a camera in the secret room so we can see the process after the fact? Riddle me that.

StriveGreatness
05-18-2011, 12:05 AM

Cavs are back? :laugh2: The Cavs are terrible.

Chi StateOfMind
05-18-2011, 12:14 AM

There are so many things with this post and spelling is one. The other :facepalm:

Supa
05-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Maybe a webcast instead? Those who want to watch can choose to do so.

---

CityofChaos
05-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Maybe a webcast instead? Those who want to watch can choose to do so.

---

Thats actually not a bad idea. Im mean, I am pretty sure that there are fans out there who dont actually believe that the NBA is pure and honest regarding the various ways in which they conduct business-- and who would want to watch the drawings.

The frozen envelope incident itself s enough reason to question the NBA's credibility and to televise the selection process.

IversonIsKrazy
05-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Then they would start off by drawing the 1st pick. THere would be no suspense build-up

Supa
05-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Then they would start off by drawing the 1st pick. THere would be no suspense build-up

A delayed webcast right after the lottery show.

---