PDA

View Full Version : NBA is not rigged eh?

asandhu23
05-17-2011, 08:54 PM
how about this sympathy number 1 draft pick to Cavs?

homestarunner93
05-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Sour grapes, or do you just like baiting?

Wade_County
05-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Lol, this is one of the worst drafts in years, who cares

bholly
05-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Huge lol at thinking this is evidence of anything.

Sly Guy
yeah even with the weak draft a #1 and #4 pick is still just about as good as they could have gotten.

nightBULL
They were very likely to get the #1 pick. Why is it so inconcievable?

ElFuturoDeESPN
05-17-2011, 08:59 PM
^ Because it was the Clippers pick that landed there, not theirs. That's my thinking anyway.

Cal827
Lol it's quite funny, since this is the pick that the Clippers traded away in order to rid themselves of Baron's contract... Imagine if the Clips held on to that pick. Adding Irving to Gordon/Griffin/D. Jordan..... They must be f***ing pissed off right now.

asandhu23
Sour grapes, or do you just like baiting?

baiting? wtf? i rarely ever post anything about Cavs.

tyfreaks brotha
**** the ****ing NBA and this rigged **** it's rigged and we all ****ing know it

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2011, 09:00 PM
in b4 da close

BigAl25
They made this so obvious, 2 top 5 picks, come on.

TylerSL
the Cavs had a 19.9% chance to win, only Minny had a higher chance at 25.0%. The NBA really had to pull some strings :rolleyes:

Astronaut
05-17-2011, 09:01 PM
The Cavs original pick only got to #4, the Clippers pick they got was the #1..

Stop hating on the Cavs for one day...

Cubs Win
Ping pong balls are random. It only needs to fall the right way one time...

JasonJohnHorn
Yeah, because the NBA wants Cleveland to do well, SOOOOOOOOOO bad. They are such a huge market, and Varajoa is the face of the league, right?

How does this help the league. Seriously, THEY HAD THE BEST ODDS!! THEY HAD TWO CHANCES!!! THEIR AND THE CLIPPERS!!!!!

And it turns out the Clippers should have kept their pick ;-)

Tragedy
05-17-2011, 09:02 PM
It wasn't a sympathy pick. The NBA knows what it's doing. There is no legitimate rivalry between the Heat and the Cavs..But if the Cavs have a great number 1 overall pick? They absolutely will become relevant and the rivalry won't be as one sided.

NBA..So rigged. I called this from the beginning.

xnick5757
05-17-2011, 09:02 PM
the Cavs had a 19.9% chance to win, only Minny had a higher chance at 25.0%. The NBA really had to pull some strings :rolleyes:

no the cavs had a 2.8% change to win according to espn

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah, the NBA CLEARLY wants the Utah JAZZ to DOMINATE! That is why they jumped up to the third pick! Or is it because they had NJ's pick? And CLVND had one of the WORST RECORDS in the league. Does nobody remember the record breaking losing streak?

JESUS!

Cal827
05-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah, because the NBA wants Cleveland to do well, SOOOOOOOOOO bad. They are such a huge market, and Varajoa is the face of the league, right?

How does this help the league. Seriously, THEY HAD THE BEST ODDS!! THEY HAD TWO CHANCES!!! THEIR AND THE CLIPPERS!!!!!

And it turns out the Clippers should have kept their pick ;-)

Irving/Gordon/Griffin... set for the next decade. But unfortunately for the Clips they were that confident that their pick in this draft would be bad.

Savage Sunday
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
no the cavs had a 2.8% change to win according to espn

Exactly.

They won with the Clippers pick which had a 2.8% chance of winning.

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
I cant believe there are Cavs HATERS. They arent even a good team. Its like hating the T-Wolves

I HATE the WIZARDS man, they are SO F@CK!NG GOOD A LOSING!!! IT P!SSES ME OFF!!!!

Sadds The Gr8
05-17-2011, 09:06 PM
so rigged. what a ****in joke

ttam68
05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
If it were rigged they'd be less obvious. Ping pong balls bring random rseults, thats the ****ing point of the lottery.

jrm2054
05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
to bad lebron isn't in this draft

ne3xchamps
05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I tried telling people. The NBA is going to continue to decline until stern is either killed, or forced out of office.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
The cavs won with the 8th pick not the second so dont get it twisted..
Second not only the cavs how about the jazz's sympathy pick they get irving for losing sloan and deron..

Cal827
05-17-2011, 09:10 PM
And the Clippers will continue to be laughed at for years to come. :laugh::laugh2:

Eagles4Lyfe
How the heck do the cavs have 2 picks higher than the raptors who were in third place in terms of probability lmao

ne3xchamps
If it were rigged they'd be less obvious. Ping pong balls bring random rseults, thats the ****ing point of the lottery.

the NBA draft is a ****ing joke with this lottery bull ****. It should go by record, just like every other major sport. Its just stern's way to work his strings more.

ne3xchamps
05-17-2011, 09:12 PM
How the heck do the cavs have 2 picks higher than the raptors who were in third place in terms of probability lmao

because the NBA draft is one of the biggest jokes in the 4 major sports.

tredigs
05-17-2011, 09:12 PM

I was just thinking how much I would love to create an experiment with 50 different scenarios of draft orders.

There's a ZERO percent chance this thread wouldn't be created in every one of them.

Is it hard to ***** as hard and as much as you do, Assan? It's gotta be exhausting.

Chill_Will_24
05-17-2011, 09:13 PM
rigged

HuRRiCaNeS324
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Waaaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaa :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Cry me a ****ing river

KnicksR4Real
They had the second best chance of getting a number one pick in general. Even know it was the second pick they had, it was probable. Go away and stop being a downer. Feel happy for them.

ttam68
the NBA draft is a ****ing joke with this lottery bull ****. It should go by record, just like every other major sport. Its just stern's way to work his strings more.

Teams would bomb entire seasons for the chance at a guy like Lebron (think summer 2010 with losses instead of cap space) in good draft years.

Chill_Will_24
I wonder if the Wolves will draft Williams or will they trade down. Maybe trade with Washington?

Iceman05
05-17-2011, 09:14 PM
I tried telling people. The NBA is going to continue to decline until stern is either killed, or forced out of office.

Cuz he sure as hell wont quit

theheatles
05-17-2011, 09:14 PM

epic sig, that scene in american psycho is the best

Shmontaine
05-17-2011, 09:15 PM

at least you tried

itsripcity32
05-17-2011, 09:16 PM
They were very likely to get the #1 pick. Why is it so inconcievable?

they got it from the projected 8th pick fool

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-17-2011, 09:17 PM
oh really lol

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-17-2011, 09:17 PM
they got it from the projected 8th pick fool

And the projected 2nd?

itsripcity32
05-17-2011, 09:18 PM
And the projected 2nd?

it dropped to number 4? which is alot more likely than jumping from 8 to 1 ALOT

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-17-2011, 09:20 PM
it dropped to number 4? which is alot more likely than jumping from 8 to 1 ALOT

wow 2 top 5 picks for Cavs.

Luky:) or rigged:ohno:?

itsripcity32
05-17-2011, 09:22 PM
wow 2 top 5 picks for Cavs.

Luky:) or rigged:ohno:?

naw if it was rigged then you wouldnt of lost your sig big cus the lakers would be in the semis

StriveGreatness
05-17-2011, 09:23 PM
The lottery is rigged. Always has been. Anyone with half a brain would realize that.

tyfreaks brotha
05-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Edit: NM

KnicksR4Real
05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Fml

pebloemer
05-17-2011, 09:26 PM
I'd imagine 11 owners that didn't get picked for the lottery would have most investment in ANY suspicions that their multi-million dollar investments weren't able to take a step forward today. But I'm not hearing this from them... just from fans that didn't have their team get lucky...

Sadds The Gr8
05-17-2011, 09:27 PM
The lottery is rigged. Always has been. Anyone with half a brain would realize that.

this

Eagles4Lyfe
05-17-2011, 09:31 PM
I'd imagine 11 owners that didn't get picked for the lottery would have most investment in ANY suspicions that their multi-million dollar investments weren't able to take a step forward today. But I'm not hearing this from them... just from fans that didn't have their team get lucky...

why the heck would the owners come and say NBA is rigged, the lottery is fixed:S, Its a lose lose situation for them. Why would they even care though there still making money anyways and if they do start anything with stern he'll put em down

TheNatural797
05-17-2011, 09:32 PM
(begin sarcasm)
Rigged? NOOOOO What else does this mean?

Did Oswald really kill Kennedy?
Did we really land on the Moon?
What really happened in Roswell?
WHO REALLY SHOT JR?
Was Jordan really God in Disguise?
Where are Tupac and Biggie?

EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(end sarcasm)

The NBA Draft's been rigged since Stern wet his pants at the thought of Ewing in MSG... and that was 26 years ago.

Stuckey#3
05-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Cleveland deserves the #1 pick and they got it. Just because they actually played at the end of the year and dropped a couple games less than the Wolves doesn't mean they are not deserving.

Stuckey#3
05-17-2011, 09:34 PM
And in all honesty I hope they pick up Irving and Derrick Williams. They might just win a championship before 2 and a half queens.

godolphins
05-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Here's what I tweeted 51 days ago

Speaking of the Nba lottery I wonder who David Stern will award the #1 draft pick to

Stern won't give the 1st pick to the Royals(Kings) or Timberwolves so those two teams are out of the question

The Wizards and Cavs seem to be Stern's favorite to land the #1 pick

Sportfan
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Cavs would have 2 top 3 pics if the NBA was rigged

Clippers original pick won the lotto 2 years in the past 3, rigged!

pebloemer
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
why the heck would the owners come and say NBA is rigged, the lottery is fixed:S, Its a lose lose situation for them. Why would they even care though there still making money anyways and if they do start anything with stern he'll put em down

Because multi-millionaires/billionaires don't like losing millions. And no, not all owners are currently making money.

And for the people claiming "2 Top 5 picks!" The Cavs pick was guaranteed Top 5. The Clippers pick winning is a surprise, but possible. Any team winning is improbable, and I'm certain there would be people who find reasons to say the lottery is rigged in many different scenarios.

lakersrock
05-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I'd buy that if there was a LeBron, Duncan, Kobe, Shaq, Dwight, etc. in this draft.

This year any number of guys could go #1, so who cares?

FriedTofuz
05-17-2011, 09:39 PM
This draft is random. IF the warriors win the draft with a very small chance, does it mean the nba is rigged? the cavs won with a very small chance with the CLIPPERS PICK. people are just being sour, its how the ping pong balls go...

StriveGreatness
05-17-2011, 09:39 PM
This draft is random. IF the warrior win the draft with a very small chance, does it mean the nba is rigged? the cavs won with a very small chance with the CLIPPERS PICK. people are just being sour, its how the ping pong balls go...

:laugh2: Oh my...go ahead and believe that.

papipapsmanny
05-17-2011, 09:43 PM
im so pissed the Cavs have 2 picks before the Wizards pick, and the Wiz didn't get top 5.

We won last year, because we just happened to be Sterns favorite of his **** list he had to pick from to win it.

Stern help D.C. out its a huge market but keeps getting ****ed, if we can sell out hockey we can sure as hell sell out bball, at one of the best Venues in the league

godolphins
05-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Dan Gilbert and David Stern= Best friends

FriedTofuz
05-17-2011, 09:46 PM
:laugh2: Oh my...go ahead and believe that.

i dont get how its rigged. The cavaliers were the worst team in the nba besides the timberwolves. They've been through alot, even if it was rigged, does it really bother peopel that cleveland got the 1st overall pick?

DaBUU
05-17-2011, 09:48 PM
So the NBA rigged the lottery for major markets, now they're rigging it out of sympathy? really?

FriedTofuz
05-17-2011, 09:49 PM

If so, the league would claim that the heat were tampering to get lebron wade and bosh to team up.

Stuckey#3
05-17-2011, 09:52 PM

David Stern + Lebron James= Best Friends with Benefits

Eagles4Lyfe
05-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Because multi-millionaires/billionaires don't like losing millions. And no, not all owners are currently making money.

And for the people claiming "2 Top 5 picks!" The Cavs pick was guaranteed Top 5. The Clippers pick winning is a surprise, but possible. Any team winning is improbable, and I'm certain there would be people who find reasons to say the lottery is rigged in many different scenarios.
How are they losing billions?? There making billions if not millions already and generating a lot of revenues either way. Why would they risk all that and even open their mouth about it? Do you think fans are going to stop watching just because their team didn't get a high pick??
Not to mention Stern saw how good a revenue the cavs made when they had lebron and lost a crap load of fans after he left so why wouldn't he try making that back?? Same with the jazz?? They lost a HOF coach and an all star PG, instead of trying to lose revenue from them he's trying to stabilize it
There's only 3 scenerios that could've made it rigged and we posted those before this even started, so no not every scenario would've scream rigged just one of those 3 and it just so happens that one of those 3 took place.

This draft is random. IF the warriors win the draft with a very small chance, does it mean the nba is rigged? the cavs won with a very small chance with the CLIPPERS PICK. people are just being sour, its how the ping pong balls go...

Why can't they just show us the ball picking process

BigCityofDreams
05-17-2011, 09:53 PM
to bad lebron isn't in this draft

qft

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes, because we absolutely need Cleveland to be a viable franchise.

And don't you think if it was truly rigged, wouldn't Stern use the Cavs pick, which had a 19% chance of winning the number one pick? Instead of having the Clippers number 8 pick winning? If you think about it, the Cavs had a 21.8% chance of winning the #1 pick.19% for their pick, plus the 2.8% chance from the Clippers pick

godolphins
We all know the lottery is rigged

Jays101
i thought canadians only said "eh"

FriedTofuz
05-17-2011, 09:57 PM
How are they losing billions?? There making billions if not millions already and generating a lot of revenues either way. Why would they risk all that and even open their mouth about it? Do you think fans are going to stop watching just because their team didn't get a high pick??
Not to mention Stern saw how good a revenue the cavs made when they had lebron and lost a crap load of fans after he left so why wouldn't he try making that back?? Same with the jazz?? They lost a HOF coach and an all star PG, instead of trying to lose revenue from them he's trying to stabilize it
There's only 3 scenerios that could've made it rigged and we posted those before this even started, so no not every scenario would've scream rigged just one of those 3 and it just so happens that one of those 3 took place.

Apparantly they use ping pong balls, and put the results in envelopes. It would be great to see the live process and this could certainly help lower skeptics. However, there will always be skeptics and new theories.

Dash
05-17-2011, 09:58 PM
The balls fell into there hands

arkanian215
05-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Couldn't you make up a story for why ____ won the draft lottery and claim it was a reason for rigging the system? Every year it's the same story. Bulls won it because they're a big market team. Portland won it to create a good team to invest in. Wiz won it because of the Arenas incident. Clippers won it because they're a big market team. Cavs (by way of Clippers) won it because of what happened to them during the offseason. And if any other team won during any year, you'd have an excuse for why it's rigged for that other team.

pebloemer
05-17-2011, 10:04 PM

First off, I said millions, not billions.

Second, the NBA doesn't share revenues. Some teams lose money and many teams gain money. While as a whole you can argue the NBA generates revenues, it doesn't apply for every franchise. Yes there are franchises that lose millions of dollars each year. No, those owners would not be happy if they fail to win the lottery and yes they have far more investment in ensuring the lottery is not rigged against them than the fans do.

You think owners like Cuban or Prokorov for example wouldn't make 100% certain that their billion dollar investments are victims of foul play?

Because the lottery isn't for the fans, it's for the franchises. The franchises each have representatives in the room. No need for the conspiracy theorists to analyze every stutter in the room to add to their crusade.

And don't you think if it was truly rigged, wouldn't Stern use the Cavs pick, which had a 19% chance of winning the number one pick? Instead of having the Clippers number 8 pick winning? If you think about it, the Cavs had a 21.8% chance of winning the #1 pick.19% for their pick, plus the 2.8% chance from the Clippers pick

That is far too logical to be taken seriously I guess...

Meloman
05-17-2011, 10:04 PM
This is something I posted last week because of a hater's ignorance saying the Derrick Rose lottery was rigged (with a bit edited out), it has more to do with big markets and their lottery fortunes, but I think it applies:

Since the lottery was instituted, big market teams have won a total of six lotteries out of a possible 26 (New York in '85, LA Clips in '88, '98 and '09, Bulls in '99 and '08). The Rose lottery was the only instance of a big market team winning the lottery as anything better than the 3rd worst team in the league (before tonight). Meanwhile, Orlando has won as the 11th worst, Philly and New Jersey as the 7th worst, and several other small market teams as the 5th and 6th worst. The most anticipated prospects of this time frame other than Ewing were David Robinson, Shaq, Tim Duncan, LeBron, Oden and Durant. They went to San Antonio, Orlando, San Antonio, Cleveland and Seattle. The next top few were Yao, Iverson, Carmelo and Chris Webber. They went to Houston, Philly, Orlando and Denver (and if you're saying they expected Carmelo to go 2nd to a big market, the team picking 2nd was Detroit). From the perspective of a draft prospect, Derrick Rose was on neither of those two tiers. If the league ever had ANY plans of rigging a lottery, wouldn't they have done it to get one of those 10 guys onto a big market team?

Why is it so hard to accept that maybe, just maybe, an event that is based on luck went to a team that was lucky?

Why is it that a team that had a bad break can't get a good one without everyone claiming conspiracy?

And most of all, why do you guys watch if you think it's rigged? Nobodies forcing you to be a basketball fan, so if you don't want to watch feel free to leave, we won't miss you.

Oh, and btw, for those of you who don't know, RIGGING THE LOTTERY IS A FELONY! David Stern would get indicted and most likely go to jail! You really think he'd take that risk?

fadedmario
05-17-2011, 10:05 PM
It's ****ing rigged - I'm glad the league is shutting down. **** em

fadedmario
05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Show the ping pong balls fall - oh wait - they won't - wonder why?

kenzo400
05-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Ping pong balls are random. It only needs to fall the right way one time...

Yea but they will spin them around several times until it falls in the right order lol

THE_FLASH_21
05-17-2011, 10:08 PM
**** the ****ing NBA and this rigged **** it's rigged and we all ****ing know it

well said lol:clap:

PhillyFaninLA
05-17-2011, 10:08 PM
The Lakers are out of the playoffs. The Celtics are out of the playoffs. The Knicks acquire 2 offensive power houses and superstars and are out of the playoffs.

The Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks are some of the biggest ratings draws in the NBA if not the biggest.

So yeah its rigged.

I can't believe how many people actually think its rigged.

Ever person to ever bet on basketball could sue the league it was rigged. Bitterness is one thing but use some common sense.

kenzo400
05-17-2011, 10:09 PM
The cavs won with the 8th pick not the second so dont get it twisted..
Second not only the cavs how about the jazz's sympathy pick they get irving for losing sloan and deron..

What part of "it's rigged" do you not understand?

JordanPippen
I don't think it was rigged, but I do believe there should be more transparency when the lottery takes place. They should televise the selection of the ping pong balls as they do with local lotteries right before the evening news...

JB0B0
2.8% chance to get the #1 pick with the LA pick and they got it. Portland had the same odds before landing the #1 pick and Oden.

pebloemer
05-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Show the ping pong balls fall - oh wait - they won't - wonder why?

Because they don't answer to you. They answer to the 14 teams in the lottery as it is their investments that are affected by the outcome. Which is why those 14 teams are the ones that see the ping pong balls.

JB0B0
05-17-2011, 10:10 PM
In any case, Cleveland should choose Williams at 1 and Knight at 4. That would be a good PG/PF combo.

Luv Da New Pack
05-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but why is it that (at least that I can recall right now) the last two number 1 winners had some kind of travesty/Oprah thing going for them.

Like they didn't want to send Mrs. Wizard home with little to nothing to show for her pearls.

They didn't want to give the Cavs kid the bird so they gave him the pick.

kenzo400
05-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Stern rigged the process, but he isn't stupid.

chicago lulz
05-17-2011, 10:15 PM
All these lottery team fans complaining about the NBA/Draft being rigged, are still going to be here next year in anticipation for which pick their respective team gets.

When they don't get the #1 pick, they will again complain and call for the nba being rigged.

If you're really going to complain over and over about it, just stop watching.

schilling
05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
People who are saying this is rigged aren't exactly hating on the Cavs. They're hating on the NBA.

kenzo400
05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Oh, and btw, for those of you who don't know, RIGGING THE LOTTERY IS A FELONY! David Stern would get indicted and most likely go to jail! You really think he'd take that risk?

Lol, ahahahahah and do you honestly think the FBI would pursue those kind of charges. Stern will never be called out because nobody is interested in showing how the NBA is messed up. Too much money is being made.

jockrider
05-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Yea but they will spin them around several times until it falls in the right order lol

lol

THE_FLASH_21
This is something I posted last week because of a hater's ignorance saying the Derrick Rose lottery was rigged (with a bit edited out), it has more to do with big markets and their lottery fortunes, but I think it applies:

Why is it so hard to accept that maybe, just maybe, an event that is based on luck went to a team that was lucky?

Why is it that a team that had a bad break can't get a good one without everyone claiming conspiracy?

And most of all, why do you guys watch if you think it's rigged? Nobodies forcing you to be a basketball fan, so if you don't want to watch feel free to leave, we won't miss you.

Answer is yes... LOL Trust me when the Lakers lose Kobe and suck for a year and finish over .500 but dont make the playoffs they will win the lottery evey year LOL hahahahhaah

kenzo400
Because they don't answer to you. They answer to the 14 teams in the lottery as it is their investments that are affected by the outcome. Which is why those 14 teams are the ones that see the ping pong balls.

Last time i checked they make money because of us. Unless those seats at the stadium and the jerseys are free. We are the customers, we have every right to demand that we see the process itself.

John Walls Era
05-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Apparently the NBA actually invites 1 member of the media (Doug Smith of the Toronto Star this year) to be in the actual lottery process to judge that it is not rigged. But I don't buy it.

D-Leethal
05-17-2011, 10:20 PM
If Stern was going to rig the lottery, why the hell would he rig it for the freakin Cleveland Cavs to win?

StriveGreatness
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Stern's been rigging since '85.

schilling
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
As much as I think it is rigged in some way, what are they going to do, have loaded ping pong balls in there for teams they don't want to get a high pick?

I think the "lottery" teams should play bingo for the picks. First team to yell BINGO gets the first pick. If multiple teams get bingo at the same time, the worse records wins. Better yet, let's let them arm wrestle for it in a tournament, and the overall winner gets the higher pick.

John Walls Era
05-17-2011, 10:25 PM
If Stern was going to rig the lottery, why the hell would he rig it for the freakin Cleveland Cavs to win?

Who knows. Maybe Dan Gilbert and him are best buds :shrug:. I find it interesting how 1) Cavs just lost Lebron and 2) The whole sick son, Nick Gilbert sub story line, led up to the draft.

W.E. the Cavs can have Derrick Williams. Hes not even that good. Unfortunate that Harrison Barnes isn't in this draft.

pebloemer
05-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Last time i checked they make money because of us. Unless those seats at the stadium and the jerseys are free. We are the customers, we have every right to demand that we see the process itself.

Our specific franchise makes money because of us. The money doesn't go to an NBA owners collective where all parties involved are given equal share. We pay our franchise. And our franchise has representatives in the room. I'm not going to sit at a McDonald's franchise meeting as a customer of McDonald's and ensure that the franchise closest to my home is getting fair treatment... No, the owner does it, or sends a representative to do it.

Sixerlover
05-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Sure because the Nets in '00, Wizards in '01, Rockets in '02, Cavs in'03, Magic in '04, Bucks in '05, Raptors in '06 Blazers in '07, Clippers in '09, Wizards in '10 all had "RIGGED" written all over them too.

jockrider
05-17-2011, 10:29 PM

that was me and how exactly does that make me a hater?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UF0BAqWoVg

CityofChaos
05-17-2011, 10:32 PM
I do believe that the NBA lottery is rigged to an extent. The NBA is always looking for a marketable feel-good story.

Think about who won the lottery last year: Washington Wizards...and does anyone else remember that during the season Abe Poland died and the franchise was going through a big dilemma with the Gilbert Arenas/Crittenton incident. Isnt winning the number one draft pick a good sympathetic/feel good story for the Wizards who dropped DRASTICALLY in the lottery?

What about Chicago dropping down to win the 1st pick knowing that Derrick Rose is from Chi-town? Lebron being drafted by Cleveland?

Meloman
05-17-2011, 10:33 PM
So Cleveland won because the league had sympathy for them?

What if Sacramento would have won, then would it have been a show good faith for the city of Sacramento so the league could keep them there?

What if Minnesota would have won? Would it just be because they're 0-13 in improving their draft position via the lottery and they were due?

What if Utah would have won? Would it have been to make up for the Deron Williams and Jerry Sloan situations?

What if Washington would have won? Would it have been to help out a big market and give them another potential star?

What if Toronto would have won? Would it have been to help basketball in Canada grow?

What if Detroit had won? Would it be to help out a struggling city and a proud franchise that had a near mutiny get back on its' feet?

What if the Bobcats would have won? Would it have been to give Michael Jordan a prominent team or stop any chatter about Charlotte not being a viable NBA city?

What if Milwaukee would have won? Would it be to create a relevant team where one hasn't been in years (i.e, what 2003 LeBron lottery conspiracy theorists claim, or 2005 conspiracy theorists when Milwaukee won)

What if Golden State would have won? Would it have been to make the Warriors the most exciting team in the league?

What if Phoenix would have won? Would it have been a favor to Steve Nash and give him one last shot at a ring in Phoenix?

What if Houston had won? Would it just be to prove that anyone has a chance in the lottery?

My point is you could claim the league would have a reason to rig the lottery in anyone's favor. Why is Cleveland's story more valid than any of the others? Again, if you don't want to watch a sport you think is rigged it's fine with the rest of us, I promise we won't miss you one bit.

FriedTofuz
Who knows. Maybe Dan Gilbert and him are best buds :shrug:. I find it interesting how 1) Cavs just lost Lebron and 2) The whole sick son, Nick Gilbert sub story line, led up to the draft.

W.E. the Cavs can have Derrick Williams. Hes not even that good. Unfortunate that Harrison Barnes isn't in this draft.

Why take Williams when you can take irving? So perhaps the sickness regarding Nick gilbert caused stern to feel sympathetic and thats the reason why he rigged the lottery for the cavs? People should realize, the cavs top pick didnt even win in the lottery, it was the clippers pick that enabled them to win.

VinceGully

I was JUST saying to someone earlier..."aren't conspiracy theorist the most annoying"

Bin Laden is still alive right? or has been dead for 10 years?

D-Leethal
Sure because the Nets in '00, Wizards in '01, Rockets in '02, Cavs in'03, Magic in '04, Bucks in '05, Raptors in '06 Blazers in '07, Clippers in '09, Wizards in '10 all had "RIGGED" written all over them too.

This.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Yep its rigged because they gave it to a small market team.:rolleyes:

Meloman
05-17-2011, 10:34 PM
that was me and how exactly does that make me a hater?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UF0BAqWoVg

You were claiming the league rigged the Rose lottery for Chicago. How does that NOT make you a hater? I'm a Heat hater, at least I admit it.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-17-2011, 10:36 PM

I highly doubt they would be best buds after the huge fine Gilbert got last year. I didn't watch the lottery but I did not hear a single thing about the kid story line at all.

ChiTownPacerFan
05-17-2011, 10:36 PM
All I can say is they've been doing this for 26 years, and I still haven't heard an explanation as to why we aren't allowed to see the ping pong balls come out. It's always like, "as you know the actual process takes place in a secret room, and now here is Jay Bilas to talk about some of the prospects." Wait, what was that about a secret room. Can we get an expert to explain that instead.

Meloman
05-17-2011, 10:37 PM
And just to play VP of common sense, if Stern were to rig it, wouldn't he have used Cleveland's pick? I mean doesn't them jumping from #8 to #1 cause way more of a stir than #2 to #1? You may not like David Stern, but you have to at least respect his intelligence, he's smart enough to know that the Clippers pick winning would cause way more of a controversy than the Cavs pick winning, and if he were committing a felony I'm pretty sure he'd try to be as discrete with it as possible.

bholly
05-17-2011, 10:38 PM
If Minny win "It was rigged so they can pick Irving and will then trade Rubio to a big market and bring Euro money with him"

Cleveland: "It was rigged out of sympathy for losing LBJ"

Toronto: "It was rigged out of sympathy for losing Bosh / to get the Canadian market interested / to get the Euro market interested by getting Bargnani on a good team / as part of the backdoor deal they made to get the Heat stars together"

Washington: "It was rigged to promote the new jerseys and help the NBA get rid of the Arenas incident image"

Sacramento: "It was rigged in part of a deal to prevent them pushing for a move to Vegas (which Stern hates) / to try and convince the city to build millions on an arena / to make the team more attractive to Kansas City or whoever"

Utah: "It was rigged as part of the deal to send their star to the new big-market Brooklyn team"

Detroit: "It was rigged to thank the new owner for sorting out that embarrassing ownership situation, and to get fan interest up so they keep the team there"

Charlotte: "It was rigged because Stern loves MJ and owes him for the secret mid-90s gambling suspension"

Milwaukee: "It was rigged so the central division gets better to get more Chicago interest with a real rivalry / as part of a deal to stop the small time owners pushing for as much revenue-sharing as they are"

Golden State: "It was rigged to help a big market team / to reward a new owner"

Phoenix: "It was rigged to give a two-time MVP more wins and marketing power / so they can draft Irving and trade Nash to New York"

Houston: "We don't know why but it HAD to be rigged because it's impossible to win with a .5% shot."

John Walls Era
05-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Why take Williams when you can take irving? So perhaps the sickness regarding Nick gilbert caused stern to feel sympathetic and thats the reason why he rigged the lottery for the cavs? People should realize, the cavs top pick didnt even win in the lottery, it was the clippers pick that enabled them to win.

1) I'm not saying its rigged.
2) About the Clippers pick... it really doesn't matter because we all know who it belonged to. I mean if it was rigged, then obviously the could've made it the Clippers or the Cavs pick.
3) I'm not saying its rigged.... (repeat)

ChiTownPacerFan
05-17-2011, 10:39 PM
And just to play VP of common sense, if Stern were to rig it, wouldn't he have used Cleveland's pick? I mean doesn't them jumping from #8 to #1 cause way more of a stir than #2 to #1? You may not like David Stern, but you have to at least respect his intelligence, he's smart enough to know that the Clippers pick winning would cause way more of a controversy than the Cavs pick winning, and if he were committing a felony I'm pretty sure he'd try to be as discrete with it as possible.

In two days no one will be talking about this. Having the Clippers pick move up to #1 gives them 2 picks in the top 4. I don't know if it's rigged, but that's the counterargument.

Meloman
05-17-2011, 10:40 PM
And for those of you wanting to see the ping pong balls, I get that concern, but doesn't it create way more drama, and therefore better TV, to do it this way? If they showed the ping pong balls, they'd have to show the first pick first, the second pick second, and the third pick third, nobody would watch the whole thing. This way they can sell ad time and bill this as a full half hour event even though we only care about 20 seconds of it. The drama of hearing the announcer saying "Team X has moved into the top 3" creates better TV. It makes it more interesting to watch, fans spend the commercial break deciding who they want to get the pick, don't get me wrong I understand the concerns (it's the only valid reason I see for lottery conspiracy theories), but there's a business reason on their end for not showing it, and at the end of the day they'd rather have a few people cry conspiracy than give up the revenue.

bholly
05-17-2011, 10:41 PM
lol, damn, meloman beat me to it.

jockrider
05-17-2011, 10:41 PM

What if Sacramento would have won, then would it have been a show good faith for the city of Sacramento so the league could keep them there?

What if Minnesota would have won? Would it just be because they're 0-13 in improving their draft position via the lottery and they were due?

What if Utah would have won? Would it have been to make up for the Deron Williams and Jerry Sloan situations?

What if Washington would have won? Would it have been to help out a big market and give them another potential star?

What if Toronto would have won? Would it have been to help basketball in Canada grow?

What if Detroit had won? Would it be to help out a struggling city and a proud franchise that had a near mutiny get back on its' feet?

What if the Bobcats would have won? Would it have been to give Michael Jordan a prominent team or stop any chatter about Charlotte not being a viable NBA city?

What if Milwaukee would have won? Would it be to create a relevant team where one hasn't been in years (i.e, what 2003 LeBron lottery conspiracy theorists claim, or 2005 conspiracy theorists when Milwaukee won)

What if Golden State would have won? Would it have been to make the Warriors the most exciting team in the league?

What if Phoenix would have won? Would it have been a favor to Steve Nash and give him one last shot at a ring in Phoenix?

What if Houston had won? Would it just be to prove that anyone has a chance in the lottery?

My point is you could claim the league would have a reason to rig the lottery in anyone's favor. Why is Cleveland's story more valid than any of the others? Again, if you don't want to watch a sport you think is rigged it's fine with the rest of us, I promise we won't miss you one bit.

/rant

CountSackula
05-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Snip

:laugh2:

jockrider
05-17-2011, 10:43 PM
You were claiming the league rigged the Rose lottery for Chicago. How does that NOT make you a hater? I'm a Heat hater, at least I admit it.

yeah i hate the bulls because they... um..because they beat my team this year?

CityofChaos
05-17-2011, 10:43 PM

NONE of those teams you mentioned headlined sports sections across the globe during the 2010 offeseason when Lebron James slapped Cleveland in the face on live TV and joined the Heat. Clevelands story IS acknowledged not just nationally but internationally as well. The NBA is an ENTERTAINMENT company and right now ESPN is selling Cleveland's storyline by mentioning the sympathetic **** that the franchise faced since LJ left

ChiTownPacerFan
05-17-2011, 10:46 PM
And for those of you wanting to see the ping pong balls, I get that concern, but doesn't it create way more drama, and therefore better TV, to do it this way? If they showed the ping pong balls, they'd have to show the first pick first, the second pick second, and the third pick third, nobody would watch the whole thing. This way they can sell ad time and bill this as a full half hour event even though we only care about 20 seconds of it. The drama of hearing the announcer saying "Team X has moved into the top 3" creates better TV. It makes it more interesting to watch, fans spend the commercial break deciding who they want to get the pick, don't get me wrong I understand the concerns (it's the only valid reason I see for lottery conspiracy theories), but there's a business reason on their end for not showing it, and at the end of the day they'd rather have a few people cry conspiracy than give up the revenue.

WHY?!! How about the balls could come out with tape over them, and then someone could remove the tape from 14-1. No way it's rigged, still just as much drama. I'm no genius and that took me two seconds to think up, surely they could figure out a way.

jockrider
05-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Toronto: "It was rigged out of sympathy for losing Bosh / to get the Canadian market interested / to get the Euro market interested by getting Bargnani on a good team / as part of the backdoor deal they made to get the Heat stars together"

except no one should feel bad for us for dodging a 130mill bullet. and for bargnani i bet his own people hate him because dude is a straight scrub.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-17-2011, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE]First off, I said millions, not billions.
Oh ok sorry forgot it makes a big difference in this argument:facepalm:

Second, the NBA doesn't share revenues. Some teams lose money and many teams gain money. While as a whole you can argue the NBA generates revenues, it doesn't apply for every franchise. Yes there are franchises that lose millions of dollars each year. No, those owners would not be happy if they fail to win the lottery and yes they have far more investment in ensuring the lottery is not rigged against them than the fans do.
Those same places that don't generate a lot of money are the same one's that get relocated. Are you seriously saying if owners kept losing millions of dollars they wouldn't just pull out and sell it and limit their loss instead of continually going on and on??
Like i said i never knew the reps of each teams get to see the ping poll picking, nor does it make sense for them even saying anything to stern, how do you know he's not paying them anything to keep it all quiet.
I forgot this is also the same league where a ref didn't come out and say how there was match fixing:rolleyes:..
Were conspiracy theorists talking out of our ***** right?? I guess your right there hasn't been any foul play in the NBA EVER..

You think owners like Cuban or Prokorov for example wouldn't make 100% certain that their billion dollar investments are victims of foul play?
Why would Cuban care that guys a freaken billionaire and doesn't even use the draft that much to build his team, he does trades, same with prokorov his teams relocating.
Your not getting it the OWNERS have no need to complain, why do you think they have never spoken out about the video proof they had for that draft the knicks got ewing i believe.
Not to mention why didn't the owners say anything about the donaghy situation:rolleyes:

Because the lottery isn't for the fans, it's for the franchises. The franchises each have representatives in the room. No need for the conspiracy theorists to analyze every stutter in the room to add to their crusade.
Who the hell cares who its for, i thought they say the lottery is in a room where only the commissioner and someone else see it. I never knew the reps from each time get to see it too?? IF that is the case what's the difference why not show it to us too what are they losing:confused:

That is far too logical to be taken seriously I guess...
No because you guys aren't understanding. If that happened then the cavs couldn't have ended up with 2 picks in the top 5, whats hard to understand about that. If they just gave them the first pick with the second best odds then their other pick would've been the 8th pick still.. DUHHHH

ChiTownPacerFan
05-17-2011, 10:52 PM
For the record, the argument for the lottery being rigged has nothing to do with who wins it, and everything to do with the process being the most suspicious thing ever. So yeah, the fact that Cleveland, or New York, or Chicago wins a #1 pick is irrelevant, but the whole process is fishier than... I don't know... dollar store sushi?

gaughan333
05-17-2011, 10:57 PM
The Cavs original pick only got to #4, the Clippers pick they got was the #1..

Stop hating on the Cavs for one day...

Everyone knew the pick was going to the cavs though.

ElMarroAfamado
05-17-2011, 10:59 PM

STop being so defensive it is not David sterns fault Lebrick cant make a jumpshot and good for the Cavs

toovey107
Wah. Wah. Wah.

John Walls Era
STop being so defensive it is not David sterns fault Lebrick cant make a jumpshot and good for the Cavs

You actually love Lebron. What does he have to do with anything...

Eagles4Lyfe
05-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Another thing people don't get is no one would say anything is the twolves, pistons, wizards, bobcats, bucs and so on won NO ONE would be saying anything. But there were 3 teams who could've won it that would've seemed fishy and thats the cavs, jazz, and kings.
Guess what?? Two of those 2 got top 4 picks and one of them the top pick. How in the hell does that happen the teams with the 6th and 8th best odds happen to get 1st and 3rd???

Fnom11
05-17-2011, 11:04 PM
This will be the 3rd time a the best player in the draft will be drafted 1st pick from his hometown team. Maybe more then that but I can recall Cle Chi Cle again Lebron/Rose.

pebloemer
05-17-2011, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=pebloemer;17933857]
Those same places that don't generate a lot of money are the same one's that get relocated. Are you seriously saying if owners kept losing millions of dollars they wouldn't just pull out and sell it and limit their loss instead of continually going on and on??
Like i said i never knew the reps of each teams get to see the ping poll picking, nor does it make sense for them even saying anything to stern, how do you know he's not paying them anything to keep it all quiet.
I forgot this is also the same league where a ref didn't come out and say how there was match fixing:rolleyes:..
Were conspiracy theorists talking out of our ***** right?? I guess your right there hasn't been any foul play in the NBA EVER..

Why would Cuban care that guys a freaken billionaire and doesn't even use the draft that much to build his team, he does trades, same with prokorov his teams relocating.
Your not getting it the OWNERS have no need to complain, why do you think they have never spoken out about the video proof they had for that draft the knicks got ewing i believe.
Not to mention why didn't the owners say anything about the donaghy situation:rolleyes:

Who the hell cares who its for, i thought they say the lottery is in a room where only the commissioner and someone else see it. I never knew the reps from each time get to see it too?? IF that is the case what's the difference why not show it to us too what are they losing:confused:

No because you guys aren't understanding. If that happened then the cavs couldn't have ended up with 2 picks in the top 5, whats hard to understand about that. If they just gave them the first pick with the second best odds then their other pick would've been the 8th pick still.. DUHHHH

First off, a billionaire definitely cares if he loses millions of dollars.

Second the owners did mention something after the Ewing train wreck. That is what led to the current system of the ping pong balls. The system was changed in way that the owners were comfortable it wasn't being tampered with.

Tim Donaghy has made claims. Some may be true, some may not, nothing has been proven. He certainly lacks credibility based on his own history, but that doesn't mean he is wrong. I haven't read his claims (I've only heard ones about officiating), has he suggested the lottery was tampered with? Because there is a huge difference between changing the score of a game for your own betting, and rigging the lottery, so 13 teams are unable to get a possible player that could bring in millions of dollars of revenue in sales.

Owners need these players to sell their teams to the fans. They have representatives in the room. Again, the chance to bring in a product (player), that could bring in millions in revenue is something that owners are far more invested in than the biggest sports fan out there. If they are no suspicious of the CURRENT system, why should we?

FriedTofuz
05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
If Minny win "It was rigged so they can pick Irving and will then trade Rubio to a big market and bring Euro money with him"

Cleveland: "It was rigged out of sympathy for losing LBJ"

Washington: "It was rigged to promote the new jerseys and help the NBA get rid of the Arenas incident image"

Sacramento: "It was rigged in part of a deal to prevent them pushing for a move to Vegas (which Stern hates) / to try and convince the city to build millions on an arena / to make the team more attractive to Kansas City or whoever"

Utah: "It was rigged as part of the deal to send their star to the new big-market Brooklyn team"

Detroit: "It was rigged to thank the new owner for sorting out that embarrassing ownership situation, and to get fan interest up so they keep the team there"

Charlotte: "It was rigged because Stern loves MJ and owes him for the secret mid-90s gambling suspension"

Milwaukee: "It was rigged so the central division gets better to get more Chicago interest with a real rivalry / as part of a deal to stop the small time owners pushing for as much revenue-sharing as they are"

Golden State: "It was rigged to help a big market team / to reward a new owner"

Phoenix: "It was rigged to give a two-time MVP more wins and marketing power / so they can draft Irving and trade Nash to New York"

Houston: "We don't know why but it HAD to be rigged because it's impossible to win with a .5% shot."

Your spot on!:clap: People will always have their conspiracies, regardless of who won, the lottery would be RIGGED.

jockrider
05-17-2011, 11:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Yt0xJKDY8

fadedmario
05-17-2011, 11:20 PM
At least there won't be any basketball next year. Next year's draft lottery will be the next NBA function after the Finals this year. **** the NBA

Bishnoff
05-17-2011, 11:25 PM
If it was rigged then they would have made it so that the Cavs own pick (19.9% chance) won the lottery, not the pick they received from the Clippers (2.8% chance). Bit less obvious wouldn't you agree?

bholly
05-17-2011, 11:26 PM
This will be the 3rd time a the best player in the draft will be drafted 1st pick from his hometown team. Maybe more then that but I can recall Cle Chi Cle again Lebron/Rose.

I don't get how Cleveland are Irving's hometown team. From what I can see he was born in Australia, went to two High Schools in New Jersey, and then played college ball at Duke.

Where does Cleveland fit in? Was it those childhood years before High School? Because if that's the case, I kind of feel like that's only his 'hometown' because the media want it to be. If they wanted to rig it for a hometown team, New Jersey or North Carolina would've made more sense, unless I'm missing something about his past.

John Walls Era
05-17-2011, 11:27 PM
If it was rigged then they would have made it so that the Cavs own pick (19.9% chance) won the lottery, not the pick they received from the Clippers (2.8% chance). Bit less obvious wouldn't you agree?

Makes sense. Unless they wanted you to think that (thats what the people who are saying its rigged would say).

bholly
05-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Makes sense. Unless they wanted you to think that (thats what the people who are saying its rigged would say).

Haha, exactly. But they know we know they know we know that, so maybe it's better to use the better chance pick, but they know we know they know we know that too, so it's probably better to use the lower chance pick, and on and on.

If you're using motivation as evidence, you're going to get absolutely nowhere.

The one thing everyone who isn't an idiot does know, is that the only way to ensure it's not rigged is to observe the actual physical process...which is exactly why they send reps from each team and independents to do just that.

Crackadalic
05-18-2011, 01:26 AM
The cavs pick was the pick from the clippers. What part of that is rigged?

championships
05-18-2011, 01:33 AM
If everyone thinks every aspect of this game is rigged, then why be fans and watch???

it's pretty much all you hear anymore.

Draft is rigged, this game is rigged, Refs have rigged the game, Stern has already decided who wins the ship this season.

playmaker_41
05-18-2011, 01:53 AM
i wonder, exactly how did you think they rigged the ping pong balls?

pd1dish
05-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Lol, this is one of the worst drafts in years, who cares

yeah, but at #1 they obviously grab Irving and at #4 they can get Kanter and both of those guys have the ability to be all stars in a few years.

kenzo400
05-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Our specific franchise makes money because of us. The money doesn't go to an NBA owners collective where all parties involved are given equal share. We pay our franchise. And our franchise has representatives in the room. I'm not going to sit at a McDonald's franchise meeting as a customer of McDonald's and ensure that the franchise closest to my home is getting fair treatment... No, the owner does it, or sends a representative to do it.

An NBA team that does well benefits the league as a whole, regardless of the specifics. You personally might not be able to sit at a McDonalds franchise meeting as a customer, but your opinion is still technically valued. If a large amount of people complained about McDonalds practices, they would consider the criticisms.

Obviously as an individual you have no power. But as a customer you have every right to complain. You pay for a product and you are not happy with what you receive. It makes perfect sense.

kenzo400
05-18-2011, 02:16 AM

Not really, people would still complain Cleveland won. If they won with the 2.8% pick then it looks more random and less fixed.

But i do find it very funny how so many teams with low chances have gotten number 1 picks. The funniest and most clearly rigged draft was when Chicago won it lol

Also i dunno if you read the article, but David Kahn basically called the draft process rigged as well.

"""This league has a habit, and I am just going to say habit, of producing some pretty incredible story lines," Kahn said. "Last year it was Abe Pollin's widow and this year it was a 14-year-old boy and the only thing we have in common is we have both been bar mitzvahed. We were done. I told Kevin: 'We're toast.' This is not happening for us and I was right.""""

faridk89
05-18-2011, 02:19 AM
in before the close!!!

Bishnoff
05-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Not really, people would still complain Cleveland won. If they won with the 2.8% pick then it looks more random and less fixed.

But i do find it very funny how so many teams with low chances have gotten number 1 picks. The funniest and most clearly rigged draft was when Chicago won it lol

Also i dunno if you read the article, but David Kahn basically called the draft process rigged as well.

"""This league has a habit, and I am just going to say habit, of producing some pretty incredible story lines," Kahn said. "Last year it was Abe Pollin's widow and this year it was a 14-year-old boy and the only thing we have in common is we have both been bar mitzvahed. We were done. I told Kevin: 'We're toast.' This is not happening for us and I was right.""""

Cleveland's 2.8% chance is slightly greater than picking the right number (straight-up bet) on a European Roulette Wheel (2.78% chance). Just because it doesn't sound likely doesn't mean it can't happen, and won't happen regularly.

Also, when a team has a 25% chance of landing the #1 pick, they also have a 75% chance that they won't. Therefore, 75% of the time the #1 pick won't go to the team with the worst record.

It's not rigged; the system is heavily based on luck as opposed to who warrants the higher pick. If it was to favour teams who are more deserving of the highest picks then it should be more inclined towards the worst teams i.e. lottery only involving the 5-10 worst teams and greater odds for the worst teams.

ccg34
05-18-2011, 08:15 AM
The NBA is definitely rigged. D Rose to the Bulls (hometown kid), Lebron (hometown kid) to Cleveland, KD (help make a smooth transition to OKC) to Seattle, John Wall (Owner died), and now Cleveland (Losing Lebron) with the #1 and #4 pick. The lottery is a joke and it is just a tool to gain more money.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-18-2011, 08:21 AM
this just in, David Stern admits that he fixed the NBA....see the interview below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9b3ePXfAPE&feature=related

mttwlsn16
05-18-2011, 08:24 AM
^ Because it was the Clippers pick that landed there, not theirs. That's my thinking anyway.

we also netted blake with just as unlikely a #1 pick

Davidgta1
05-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Who cares

kilgore2345
05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
So, the NBA Draft is rigged based on what knowledge other than conjecture?

Do all of you feel robbed by your state lottery because it never comes up roses for you too?

So it is rigged and no one in the NBA has ever said a thing in nearly 3 decades? Not a single fired employee, not a single tell all book, not a single investigative piece, no one. EVERYONE decides to keep quiet about it? There are things in this world to keep mum about and I hate to say it, the NBA Draft isn't one of them.

It's rigged because a bunch of meatheads and 14 year old boys say it is.

Got it.

kenzo400
05-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Do all of you feel robbed by your state lottery because it never comes up roses for you too?

So it is rigged and no one in the NBA has ever said a thing in nearly 3 decades? Not a single fired employee, not a single tell all book, not a single investigative piece, no one. EVERYONE decides to keep quiet about it? There are things in this world to keep mum about and I hate to say it, the NBA Draft isn't one of them.

Got it.

Kahn clearly said its rigged, several other gms over the years made similar statements. Tim Donaghy who was a referee for many years clearly explained how the NBA is rigged. There are statements made all the time that show how Stern likes to keep this league running.

Quite a lot of people have spoke out about this. I'm sure plenty of people don't like speaking out about it because 1) they don't want to be on Sterns bad side 2) not too many NBA personnel like getting fined, possibly fired for speaking against the organization.

KingPosey
05-18-2011, 01:26 PM
certainly the wrong year for the Cavs to get the 1 and 4, this draft sucks.

But we have known the NBA rigs drafts and series for years.

Tuck&Rolle
05-18-2011, 01:30 PM
They need to do away with the lottery and do it like the NFL. Worst record should get the 1st pick and so on.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-18-2011, 01:40 PM

Got it.

I don't know anything about you, but I want to quickly put you in a situation to see how you'd react.

You work for a company. You know that your company does certain things that you don't like, are shady, inexcusable, etc.

Would you risk your job, losing thousands of dollars that your family most likely depends on week in and week out, because you don't agree with those principles? Even if they are the exact principles that drive what puts food on the plates of you and your family and a roof above your heads?

I can't speak for everybody, but in those situations, with that on the line, I'm willing to bet a majority of people would keep shut.

I'm not saying its rigged myself. I'm just saying that its not as hard to keep people quiet as you think. All it takes is a "stern" warning and people will stay quiet most likely. The man and the organization behind him is very powerful.

DMasta718
05-18-2011, 02:15 PM
"The team I wanted to get didn't get the 1st pick. ****ing rigged!"

TheRunKiller
05-18-2011, 02:25 PM
How did Cavs get the #4 pick too?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
How did Cavs get the #4 pick too?

they had 2 picks, one was their one and second was aqcuired via trade from clippers(aka now the 1st pick)

BcEuAbRsS
05-18-2011, 02:52 PM
This is the question I will continue to ask...

If you firmly believed the NBA is rigged and the outcome is already predetermined, why the hell do you watch? If you need something to ***** about go get married...

abe_froman
05-18-2011, 02:55 PM
They need to do away with the lottery and do it like the NFL. Worst record should get the 1st pick and so on.

you think tanking is bad now,going back to that you'll see the flood gates open with maybe only 8 +.500 records in the league a year

how much *****ing will you guys do about it being rigged and unfair when a team gets the top pick 2 or 3 years in a row ala the rockets before the lotto

Tuck&Rolle
05-18-2011, 04:49 PM
you think tanking is bad now,going back to that you'll see the flood gates open with maybe only 8 +.500 records in the league a year

how much *****ing will you guys do about it being rigged and unfair when a team gets the top pick 2 or 3 years in a row ala the rockets before the lotto

And the Spurs with how they got Duncan. Teams already tank so whats the difference? The NFL has it right, I think its the NBA's time to follow.

Tuck&Rolle
05-18-2011, 04:50 PM
And honestly if a team wants to tank then that's there business.

JasonJohnHorn
05-18-2011, 05:21 PM
What really happened in Roswell?

What happened was that two borthers (the Horton brothers), who had been working on a airial device that could move forward like a jet, but also hover like a helicopter, for the Nazi's during WWII. Dr. Mengele, also working for the Nazi's at aushwitz, have experimiented on people surgically and genetically. After the war, the Russians picked up these, as well as other to minds from the Nazi regime and inspired by the hysteria created across america by the War Of The Worlds radio broad cast, hoped to create faux aliens through genetic (though primarily surgical) procedures, and send them flying to the US in these devices created by the Horton brothers. The aim was to instil concern intially, then to bombard the states with any number of these, not to cause any physical harm, but rather to create a back log in the first responce air defence system. Once the air defence system was overwhelmed, the Russians would then be able launch missles which the air defence system would be bogged down responding to UFO call ins, and the missles would be more effective.

thanks Orson Wells!

CityofChaos
05-18-2011, 05:42 PM

Thats how the format used to be until the Rockets deliberately tanked games in order to get the No. 1 pick which yielded them Hakeem the Dream and eventually a championship.

But I agree with the idea of changing the current lottery process. How about starting by actually televising the drawings instead of hiding in a conference room? That would shutup a lot of conspiracy theorist who think the NBA does favor certain conditions--I being one of those people.

theheatles
05-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Got it.

yep, comparing the nba draft lottery to the state lottery is very reasonable:facepalm:

if your going to try to quiet conspiracy junkies, try using some logic yourself

Cal827
05-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Although I don't think it's rigged, I can see why many don't believe that two teams with such a small chance of moving up in the draft (Utah (NJ pick) and Cleveland (LA Pick)) both moved into the top 3: Booting down some of the other bad teams (Cleveland (their pick), Toronto, Washington, Sacramento). It would probably help them if they did the lotto live and not behind closed doors. It's been quite funny that of the last 5 teams to win the Lottery, (Portland, Chicago, LA, Washington, Cleveland(Clippers pick)), only the Clippers (2008) had odds in the top 5.

Rhino
05-18-2011, 08:32 PM
I agree this so called pathedic excuse for a sport is rigged in almost every aspect if you can't recognize that then I'm sorry to say you must be blind or ignorant. I would concentrate less on the lottery draft and more on what truly ruins this sport. It starts with Stern and ends with the refs which we all know are both jokes. If they could just do one thing to fix this sport I would ask this. Start calling the game consistent on both ends of the court is that too much to ask I think not.

Uncle Chuck
05-18-2011, 08:33 PM
I cant blame a single person for thinking the lotto is rigged. The fact that the drawing isn't live (or even shown) is a head scratcher. Does the current system of announcing the team back to front really add that much more drama to the mix? Does it make that 5 mins of air time any more exciting?

On top of that, if you do the math behind the numbers, I think its very telling. 4 times a team with 5% or less has won the lottery. Twice with the team having less than 2%. I'd have to double check on this, but I think the team with the worst record has only won the lottery 4 times in 26 years.

So the fact reamins that a team with a less than 5% chance to win the lottery has won it the same amount of times as the team with the most balls.

MalZee24
05-18-2011, 08:44 PM
the nba is definitely rigged. kudos to all the fans that called the cavs getting the top pick before the lottery. and there are A LOT of you out there. we all know cavs were getting it. rigged.

djeller1139
05-18-2011, 09:01 PM
The Ping Pong Balls need to be done live. That's the only way to prove this...

Derrick Rose to his "hometown" Bulls when they had like a 1% chance...

Blake Griffn to the biggest NBA market, Los Angeles....

There are surely more examples, but its hard not to think that the NBA lottery has some "outside influence" from everyone's favorite Commissioner.

Whomewhome
05-18-2011, 09:40 PM
If this draft included top caliber players one could question it! But since it doesn't who really cares!!!!!!!! I don't, I am a Nets fan and it doesn't bother me one bit that the Jazz got the 3rd pick. It's such a weak draft, we will be lucky to see more then 1 or 2 all stars.

It's similar to the 2000 draft, there will be one or two gems, one or two overprice overhyped guys and the rest will be irrelevant.

Whomewhome
05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
I do agree that the lottery should be live, that would stop many doubters.

jiggin
05-18-2011, 09:50 PM
David Kahn, president of the Minnesota Timberwolves, gives his reaction to the Associated Press after losing out on the No. 1 overall pick to Nick Gilbert, son of Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who suffers from a nerve disorder.

"This league has a habit, and I am just going to say habit, of producing some pretty incredible story lines," Kahn said. "Last year it was Abe Pollin's widow and this year it was a 14-year-old boy and the only thing we have in common is we have both been bar mitzvahed. We were done. I told [Utah Jazz GM] Kevin [O'Connor]: 'We're toast.' This is not happening for us and I was right."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6560322

did he just insinuate that its rigged?

Wade>You
05-20-2011, 09:39 PM
They were very likely to get the #1 pick. Why is it so inconcievable?Same reason that the Bulls had the "misfortune" of missing the playoffs when all they do is get away with fouling, then cheating the 13 other teams (not including Miami; we have a good front office and don't rely on Stern) out of a chance to turn their franchise around.

Nearly every NBA draft is rigged and has been in the Stern era. The proof is in the 1985 draft that can be found on YouTube.

Just thinking about it (off the top of my head):
-Magic/Shaq-Webber-Howard: trying to take advantage of the Disney boom and a growing city, Stern sent Shaq to Orlando. The very next season, with Orlando at #15 in the lottery and the least chance to win the draft, beats the odds and lands the #1 pick. Clearly, Stern was trying to put a contender in Orlando for years. Then Stern, trying to rebuilt the Shaq-Magic days, gives them the #1 pick in a draft with two dominant bigs at the time.

-Cavs/LeBron: this terribly-ran franchise (after trading away all their first round picks and sucking for subsequent years) was on its last heels before being declared DOA. Thank God Stern came in and awarded them the #1 pick to save them for 7 years.

-Bulls/Derrick Rose: after a failed attempt to pimp the Hinrich/Deng/Gordon Bulls, Stern knew he had to get the Bulls to miss the playoffs so he can get them the #1 pick and back into "contention." (and put all that Chicago fans money back in his wallet.)

-Wizards/John Wall: Stern screwed the Wizards badly with the Arenas suspension, along with their poorly-managed team filled with aging stars on huge contracts, this team was also about to die. Then Stern made up for it by giving them the #1 pick.

-Cavs/?????: The Cavs are such a poorly-ran franchise that, once again, they are on life support to survive. Never fear, David Stern is on it!

Tony_Starks
05-20-2011, 09:54 PM
For those that seriously believe the "rigged" conspiracy my question is why do you still watch the NBA? I know Wrestling isn't real and guess what, I don't watch it....

Wade>You
05-20-2011, 10:28 PM
For those that seriously believe the "rigged" conspiracy my question is why do you still watch the NBA? I know Wrestling isn't real and guess what, I don't watch it....We like the NBA (or should I say the players and the teams that constitute the NBA?)

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-21-2011, 05:29 AM
For those that seriously believe the "rigged" conspiracy my question is why do you still watch the NBA? I know Wrestling isn't real and guess what, I don't watch it....

How it ain't real lmao?

ldawg
05-21-2011, 08:05 AM
If the heat win the title this year it's clearly rigged. they were forecast to win from day one by the nba.

DR_1
05-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Fans need to stop whining. They do the lottery so that teams won't purposely tank at the end of the regular season just to get a higher pick.

LakersIn5
05-21-2011, 11:09 AM
i still dont buy the **** that teams who suck gets awarded with the top pick

flips333
05-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Yeah great idea.... THe champ should get the #1 pick... That will make the league better.

John Walls Era
05-21-2011, 11:37 AM

:facepalm: Yeah lets just give the 1st pick to the champions every year. That HAS to be a better idea. I mean if you stack a team up with so much talent... they might actually get worse, which makes the league so much better :rolleyes:

Super.
05-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Isn't it a bit wierd when the team with the worst record hasn't had the #1 pick in how long?

Super.
05-21-2011, 11:43 AM

:laugh:

Oh NBA forum

ttam68
05-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Did Chad Ford predict this on the BS report? I'm listening to the 5/17 version and he predicts it.

Chronz
05-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Stern rigged the process, but he isn't stupid.

The two cannot go hand in hand, if stern is rigging the process he's doing a ****** job of not making it obvious.

tredigs
05-22-2011, 04:08 AM
Here's a couple good articles explaining why the "fans" who do exactly zero homework yet assume a massive NBA conspiracy fix is in are foolish, foolish people (it took me three tries to write this sentence without infraction-worthy tone/words).

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2011/05/18/the-fix-isnt-in/

No, Mr. Kahn. The NBA doesn’t. Lotteries do. It doesn’t take Shirley Jackson or an old Bogie movie to know that lotteries spawn great storylines. Lottery stories are compelling for the simple fact that winning a lottery is catching lightning in a bottle. Good story lines will sometimes come from the Lottery not because the NBA wants it to, but because of the randomness of the event itself.

The NBA has its share of problems — allowing a numbskull such as Donald Sterling to own the Clippers, by having Isiah Thomas hang around its edges and having the impending lockout hanging like the sword of Damocles over the 2011-12 season — but “fixing” the Lottery results are not one of them.

Would you like to know why? The simple reason is: THE NBA LOTTERY IS NOT FIXED. It is not fixed. It is not fixed. It. Is. Not. Fixed.

As a former employee of the NBA, I have assigned people to report on it. As a reporter for FanHouse, I have covered it. Henry Abbott can vouch for this. True Hoop’s papa and granddad of the True Hoop network was sitting next to me in 2009, and in 2010 when Washington Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld snuck into in 3A like a student late for class only to see his team’s combination of numbers come up three times in the first four draws.

The implication of lottery fixing is not only absurd because of the amount of work, secrecy and complicity needed to pull it off, but also because it’s not even close to being true. Any NBA GM, many of whom have seen the draw process play out in front their own eyes, should know this is a fact. Any NBA GM not named David Kahn should be incensed with Kahn’s statements that their team may have won or lost the Lottery because of a conspiracy, especially because they know it not to be true. One David — Stern — is more than likely furious. I can imagine a 212 area code popping up on one of Kahn’s phones in the immediate future.

For years, the league has allowed reporters into the Lottery draw room in Secaucus and still it has to deal with knuckleheads who think that it’s not on the up-and-up. It’s the NBA equivalent of President Barack Obama’s birth certificate. Despite doing producing the evidence, there will always be non-believers. These people, however, shouldn’t come from your own ranks.

For some reason, Kahn’s implication also struck a nerve with me as well, and not only for the fact that he seemed to be making light of Dan Gilbert’s son. In the video, you can see that there was an uneasy jocularity in his tone and that he may not want to go there. But go there he did. And the words … It was as if he was impugning everything we — me, other journalists, team officials, league officials — saw in that room.

Here’s one thing I can tell you: ping-pong balls don’t lie.

Kahn should walk back the words for implying that they do.

And here's an explanation of the process with insider detail: http://www.nba.com/features/inside_lottery_050524.html

Ignorance/lack of research and "CONSPIRACY!" seems to go hand in hand in this world. Do your homework kids. Think of things like opportunity cost and what it would mean if a conspiracy was actually going on and they were caught? A probable end to the NBA as a league and a different organization would have to take over. Worth the risk for them even if Stern and his associates did want to fix drafts? ZERO chance.

magichatnumber9
05-22-2011, 08:08 AM
I have no problem with the lottery system, just the secrecy part behind the scenes.

MR.TRIPDUB
05-22-2011, 09:02 AM
And the Spurs with how they got Duncan. Teams already tank so whats the difference? The NFL has it right, I think its the NBA's time to follow.

Can u imagine if the two worst team face each other for the 1 pick on the last game of the season, they would be fighting to lose. That would be funny as hell although it would be a disgrace for the game.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Can u imagine if the two worst team face each other for the 1 pick on the last game of the season, they would be fighting to lose. That would be funny as hell although it would be a disgrace for the game.

would be funny as hell lmao, like playing hot potato:laugh: