PDA

View Full Version : Rafer Alston Hired As High School Basketball Coach

Savage Sunday
05-17-2011, 08:34 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/110517-christian-life-center-academy-hires-rafer-alston

HOUSTON - Chistian Life Center Academy in Humble has hired former Houston Rockets guard Rafer Alston to be the school's head basketball coach and athletics director.

Alston played eleven years in the NBA, including four seasons with the Rockets.

Surpised hes going to be a head coach already. I didnt even know he retired.

TrueFan420
05-17-2011, 08:49 PM
its only high school but good for him

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-17-2011, 08:50 PM
he will be a terrible coach.

MalZee24
05-17-2011, 08:52 PM

kind of like u during your stint with your local neighborhood girls softball club team

Shahrose
05-17-2011, 08:54 PM
good for him :)

avrpatsfan
05-17-2011, 08:59 PM
He's come a long way from ***** slapping Eddie House in the head in 2008.

rhino17
05-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Thats also barely a high school, its a "learning center"

Deandre Jordan finished his high school career there after being kicked out of my school

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-17-2011, 09:11 PM
kind of like u during your stint with your local neighborhood girls softball club team

he's a ****ing streetballer

Bricklayer
05-17-2011, 09:21 PM
He can teach the kids to sulk if they don't get enough minutes, then he can threaten to quit the team.

Lindystud36
05-17-2011, 09:26 PM
He was coacing my buddies team while he was still playing in the NBA
That kid went to prep school this year and is poised to go D1 in the NBA so he must be a decent coach, or he can just play with the players.

jrm2054
05-17-2011, 09:27 PM
He will teach them to skip to there lu's

KnicksR4Real
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
my new coach

Rafer17
05-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Nice

Underrated Wade
05-17-2011, 10:43 PM
hope he comes back to the nba. miami should have gave him a new contract and could have had a decent pg instead of a shooter bibby who has no point guard characteristics except his height. and hes doing so bad :mad::mad::mad::mad:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-18-2011, 03:40 AM
hope he comes back to the nba. miami should have gave him a new contract and could have had a decent pg instead of a shooter bibby who has no point guard characteristics except his height. and hes doing so bad :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Alston is terrible and I mean really terrible.

rhino17
05-18-2011, 05:15 AM

Alston was arguably the single worst player in the league the last 5 years he played

Jetsguy
05-18-2011, 09:18 AM

Dude the guy played in the ****ing NBA for over a decade I think he has the credentials to coach a high school basketball team?

Do you not think 98% of high school coaches across the country have probably not touched a ball since they themselves were in high school and are now living a fantasy they couldnt realize by coaching.

He will be a more than fine coach at the high school level.

Rentzias
05-18-2011, 11:03 AM
He was coacing my buddies team while he was still playing in the NBA
That kid went to prep school this year and is poised to go D1 in the NBA so he must be a decent coach, or he can just play with the players.

Man, at that level, talent carries a lot, not coaching. I mean I could've "coached" a LeBron or a Dwight in high school.

I'm gonna be biased and agree with those that cringe because he has a streetball background. The best players to have played the game had outstanding fundamentals, and that's what you need at the level he's coaching.

Rentzias
05-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Dude the guy played in the ****ing NBA for over a decade I think he has the credentials to coach a high school basketball team?

Do you not think 98% of high school coaches across the country have probably not touched a ball since they themselves were in high school and are now living a fantasy they couldnt realize by coaching.

He will be a more than fine coach at the high school level.

Just because you played in the NBA doesn't mean you would make a good coach (see: Hall of Famer Moses Malone maybe). I'm sure he'll "be more than fine" but difficult to see someone who didn't have a fundamentals background teach it to kids.

KnicksorBust
05-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Just because you played in the NBA doesn't mean you would make a good coach (see: Hall of Famer Moses Malone maybe). I'm sure he'll "be more than fine" but difficult to see someone who didn't have a fundamentals background teach it to kids.

He's played under George Karl, Lenny Wilkens, Stan Van Gundy, Jeff Van Gundy, Rick Adelman, Lawrence Frank, etc. I think he might have picked up some fundamentals along the way. Coaching at the NBA Level, or even the college level I could agree with you but I find it very difficult to believe he can't draw up Xs and Os for a winning High School team.

JordansBulls
05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/110517-christian-life-center-academy-hires-rafer-alston

Did he retire?

Jetsguy
05-18-2011, 11:25 AM
He's played under George Karl, Lenny Wilkens, Stan Van Gundy, Jeff Van Gundy, Rick Adelman, Lawrence Frank, etc. I think he might have picked up some fundamentals along the way. Coaching at the NBA Level, or even the college level I could agree with you but I find it very difficult to believe he can't draw up Xs and Os for a winning High School team.

My point exactly! this is High School and an NBA VETERAN is coaching them. I doubt anyone on here could name 5-10 high school coaches of the top outside of teams they played in high school, now you can name 1.

Rentzias
05-18-2011, 11:48 AM
My point exactly! this is High School and an NBA VETERAN is coaching them. I doubt anyone on here could name 5-10 high school coaches of the top outside of teams they played in high school, now you can name 1.

Every high school generally runs the same set of plays with minor variations. This is the educational level of basketball. You're not hiring coaches to draw up X's and O's, your high school coaches are responsible for getting you to understand the concept of X's and O's, and how fundamentals and execution make those X's and O's succeed.

Again, just because you were coached by a great coach, doesn't make YOU a great coach automatically (Kurt Rambis).

It could be good for all I know, all I'm saying is the fact that someone played in the NBA isn't an auto "no need for an interview then" hire. Oh ****, you're Shawn Kemp/Roy Tarpley!! Here, come hang around a bunch of impressionable high school kids.

Jetsguy
05-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Every high school generally runs the same set of plays with minor variations. This is the educational level of basketball. You're not hiring coaches to draw up X's and O's, your high school coaches are responsible for getting you to understand the concept of X's and O's, and how fundamentals and execution make those X's and O's succeed.

Again, just because you were coached by a great coach, doesn't make YOU a great coach automatically (Kurt Rambis).

It could be good for all I know, all I'm saying is the fact that someone played in the NBA isn't an auto "no need for an interview then" hire. Oh ****, you're Shawn Kemp/Roy Tarpley!! Here, come hang around a bunch of impressionable high school kids.

unless there are obvious character concerns I would say absolutely it is an automatic hire at the high school level for a retired NBA player. Do you think an NBA player desont know the X's and O's and how to teach them? Most NBA players run some type of charity/summer camp where they do some type of teaching...he will be fine.

Sixerlover
05-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Who had a what 7 year NBA career? Save it.

Good for Skip

Mile High Champ
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM

You make it sound like he got a NBA job. It is only high school.

Rentzias
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
unless there are obvious character concerns I would say absolutely it is an automatic hire at the high school level for a retired NBA player. Do you think an NBA player desont know the X's and O's and how to teach them? Most NBA players run some type of charity/summer camp where they do some type of teaching...he will be fine.

No I agree, just wanted to point out that "obvious character concerns" part.

To be honest, I think this just goes back to the day I discovered the AND1 videos, and it ruined my game.

Savage Sunday
05-18-2011, 12:52 PM

LOL

Once again you're comparing a former NBA player whos going to be coaching High School basketball in Texas and a former NBA player coaching in the NBA.

You do realize how dumb that argument is?

& high school basketball is all about the talent you have. Apparently this school is basically just a prep school which brings in ballers from across the country to do a prep year there squashing other Christian school teams down there. Hes not going to be teaching 15 year olds in an old gym in Indiana. lol

You are crazy to think Rafer knows nothing about basketball and X's and O's. This is a guy who turned himself from a And1 basketball player to play a decade in the NBA at the PG position. If that is so easy, why has nobody else ever done it? Not to mention the tough background he overcame, and I'm sure he can offer some advice/mentoring to these kids. Thats really all that HS coaching provides in the longterm.

ghettosean
05-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Who had a what 7 year NBA career? Save it.

Good for Skip

Don't forget he was a significant piece getting Dwight and the magic to the finals a few years ago against L.A while Nelson was injured. Sometimes I wonder if people who make foolish comments like "He's a *#(*$ streetballer" even watch basketball. He's a good player makes some mental mistakes because he gets caught up in the moment but his talent can't be denied.

He would make sense for Miami also but I don't think Skip is coming back.

Rentzias
05-18-2011, 01:01 PM
LOL

Once again you're comparing a former NBA player whos going to be coaching High School basketball in Texas and a former NBA player coaching in the NBA.

You do realize how dumb that argument is?

& high school basketball is all about the talent you have. Apparently this school is basically just a prep school which brings in ballers from across the country to do a prep year there squashing other Christian school teams down there. Hes not going to be teaching 15 year olds in an old gym in Indiana. lol

You are crazy to think Rafer knows nothing about basketball and X's and O's. This is a guy who turned himself from a And1 basketball player to play a decade in the NBA at the PG position. If that is so easy, why has nobody else ever done it? Not to mention the tough background he overcame, and I'm sure he can offer some advice/mentoring to these kids. Thats really all that HS coaching provides in the longterm.

Read the thread bro. I never said he didn't know his X's and O's, and you will see that I already agreed to your point about high school being about talent, not in-game coaching, and ALSO to your point about the high school basketball experience as being educational. And realize the context of the comparison: it wasn't to say "hey, if this guy can't do it in the NBA, then this guy can't do it in Dillon Texas," it was just to dispute an assumption about ability by association.

So, I'm glad you're LOLing, you're welcome.

NetsPaint
05-18-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm happy for him. I'd like him back in the NBA.

As ghettosean said, he helped the Magic get to the Finals when Nelson was injured. He has elevens seasons of NBA experience. I think he'll be fine.

MalZee24
05-18-2011, 08:47 PM

you're ******** if you think that. we dont get to see bibby's pg characteristics anymore because wade and lebron handle the ball most of the time now.

IBleedPurple
05-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Too bad it isn't elementary school.....He could teach them "Skip to My Lou"

KnicksR4Real
05-18-2011, 09:36 PM
I think he has alot of experience which will certainly help him.

GiantsSwaGG
05-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Alston was arguably the single worst player in the league the last 5 years he played

He'll break ya ankles

Rafer17
05-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Thats my boy RAF!!