PDA

View Full Version : Should The Team Who Gets The First Pick Trade It?

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2011, 05:15 PM
In past seasons guys like Wall, Rose, Durant and others have been clear cut, NBA read stars. This season, from what I've been hearing (and I freely admit that I dont watch a lot of college ball, or European stuff outside of the Olympics) that there isnt a clear cut pick, and I'm reminded of three recent drafts. the 2006 Draft, which saw many suggest trading the pick was the best option (and hindsight has made that suggestion the obvious one), and the the 2005, and 2001.

These draft each saw first picks that while in some instances solid players and even All-star calibre players (at least in Bogut's case), the rest of those drafts seemed to have been where the real talent lay. Guys like D-Will, CP3, Andrew Bynum, Felton, Danny Grancer (all 2005), Tyson Chandler, Pao Gasol, Zach Randolph, Richard Jefferson, Shane Battier (2001), LMA, Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay and Rondo (2006).

It seems to me with this uncertainty in the draft, it might be better to trade down in the draft, pick up a future first rounder to go along with a slightly later pick this season, or pick up a vet/role player plus a lower draft pick.

So does this seem like it makes sense, or is there some really talent coming out of college or Europe this year that you think is NBA ready and worthy of a number one pick.

Baller1
05-17-2011, 05:27 PM
I think Derrick Williams is going to be an absolute beast. I don't think anyone should trade away the first pick unless they get a deal impossible to decline.

hugepatsfan
05-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Let's wait and see who gets the pick first. A team like MIN would probably be best trading it because of how the top players match their team. But a team like DET should keep it and take Irving. We'll be able to answer this better when the ping pong balls get picked.

StriveGreatness
05-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Depends on the team. I'll give you my answer tonight after the lotto.

StriveGreatness
05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Nope. Cleveland needs help/talent. They should not trade it.

John Walls Era
05-17-2011, 11:25 PM
"These draft each saw first picks that while in some instances solid players and even All-star calibre players (at least in Bogut's case), the rest of those drafts seemed to have been where the real talent lay."

Well you're comparing 1 guy vs. a field of 29 other players... also the players you listed were not even the best of their respective class.

Astronaut
05-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Nope, this isn't the NFL Draft where you need a whole group of players to turn a franchise in the right direction, one player can make a team elite.

Hitman21
05-18-2011, 01:48 PM
In past seasons guys like Wall, Rose, Durant and others have been clear cut, NBA read stars.

Durant wasnt the 1st pick. He should have been

5ass
05-18-2011, 02:01 PM
they already did

CB29
05-18-2011, 02:04 PM
depends... Irving seems like he has the it factor but i can see your point that a lot of younger stars who are drafted high don't translate into winning success their first few years... you can see guys like tyreke, stephen curry, blake, wall, mayo etc... who are exceptional talents but for the most part have played on poor teams...