PDA

View Full Version : Will be the lakers be considered "serious" title contender next season?

anjoe29
05-17-2011, 07:59 AM
i actually they are.. what do u guys think after they lost to the mavs 0-4..

d00d
05-17-2011, 08:00 AM
no

eso
05-17-2011, 08:02 AM
yes

TylerSL
05-17-2011, 08:24 AM
as their roster is now, no. The Lakers will be percieved as a team that is a year older after getting swept in the 2nd round. But if they make a trade again like when they got Gasol, yes they most definately will.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-17-2011, 08:29 AM
yes

cmon almost everyone played like bums.

kobebabe
05-17-2011, 08:36 AM
yes. They needed the rest to rejuvinate. The will come out fresh and ready to put the past behind. Who else is better in doing that than the lakeshow? Kobe now has a chip on his shoulder and want to quiet the doubters.
But to do this they need to fix the bench and tweak the roster a ted, not much

MiamiBoy77
05-17-2011, 08:38 AM
yes.. that current team still won championships together. are they serious contenders? maybe maybe not. but will they be considered that way ? yes

Hellcrooner
05-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Lets see in worst case scenario.

Kobe takes a rest during LOCKOUT and comes well rested and Healthy to a Shortened regular season ( check 1998)

Pau comes rested and with his head out of his butt after the summer.

Bynum comes rested and since there are less games his injury risk is smaller.

Sign a mle Point guard that can play.

trade someone like arters for someone that can shoot.

Barnes comes back healty

blake finally understands the system.

yep....contenders again.

best case scenario, Bynum gets the F O for DWIGHT , BATTIER signs the MLE

Artest gets traded for a PG that can shoot ( hinrich or calderon)

Ring in the make.

ne3xchamps
05-17-2011, 08:41 AM
this is ridiculous. I can't stand the lakers, but come on now. They had a bad series, gasol was obviously having some sort of issues. they will be contenders next year. These NBA threads just keep getting better.

DeadlyVeyerus31
05-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Playoff team yes, serious title contender no unless they upgrade PG & C. I don't see both happening, especially with the upcoming coaching change. They are getting older and slower. I personally think if the Thunder team stays healthy, will be the at the top of the West for a while.

jockrider
05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
back to back champions lose one year in the 2nd round and now they're not a serious contender? lol

ne3xchamps
05-17-2011, 09:45 AM
back to back champions lose one year in the 2nd round and now they're not a serious contender? lol

classic stuff isn't it?:laugh2:

IndyRealist
05-17-2011, 10:10 AM

Kobe takes a rest during LOCKOUT and comes well rested and Healthy to a Shortened regular season ( check 1998)

Pau comes rested and with his head out of his butt after the summer.

Bynum comes rested and since there are less games his injury risk is smaller.

Sign a mle Point guard that can play.

trade someone like arters for someone that can shoot.

Barnes comes back healty

blake finally understands the system.

yep....contenders again.

best case scenario, Bynum gets the F O for DWIGHT , BATTIER signs the MLE

Artest gets traded for a PG that can shoot ( hinrich or calderon)

Ring in the make.

....You do understand that's not a worst case scenario, right? That's a best case scenario....A worst case scenario would involve Kobe sleeping with Gasol's ex, Barnes and Bynum trading punches and getting suspended for half the season, and Artest asking for a month off to promote his rap album.

To answer the question, it depends on what the Lakers do this summer. If they manage to land Dwight, they're contenders for sure. If Gasol starts playing well again, they're contenders. If Kobe doesn't break any bones next season, they're contenders.

Dstmccoy
05-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Playoff team yes, serious title contender no unless they upgrade PG & C. I don't see both happening, especially with the upcoming coaching change. They are getting older and slower. I personally think if the Thunder team stays healthy, will be the at the top of the West for a while.

Upgrade C??? When healthy Bynum is one of the best in the league. Only upgrade there would be Howard.

stawka
05-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Short answer: yes

Long answer: **** yes

Tarheels23
05-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes they will be. Noone knows what this offseason will bring in terms of trades and signings (for other teams), but they are just as good as the 4 teams in the conference finals right now.

A lot hinges on their coach next year too

LakersIn5
05-17-2011, 11:56 AM
LOL at the haters. just because the lakers lost in the 2nd round people are already forgetting what they did the previous 2 seasons. LAKERS WILL STILL BE A SERIOUS CONTENDER NEXT SEASON. mavs lost in the 1st round last season but they are title contenders this season, arent they? spurs got swept in the 2nd round last season. but they were contenders too this year (well according to PSD posters after the spurs won 60 games). the celtics are always contenders eventhough they havent won a ring since 2008. so STFU to the haters. lakers will be back strong next season

shep33
05-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Why wouldn't they? Honestly, lets be realistic here, they just went to 3 straight Finals, something that doesn't happen that often in NBA history, winning 2 of them nonetheless.

LA looked like a tired team, not an old team. They've played 4 seasons in the past 3 if you count playoff games, and as we know, playoff games are way more intense. They will get a few different pieces too, really if you look at it, their bench was awful, that's how Dallas killed them. They'll get a new pg, and a couple bench pieces and probably win 60 games.

Not only that, but this team is going to be motivated again, this year they were a distracted group. You have Odom doing tv shows, Pau having girlfriend issues, Ron doing rap albums... pretty pathetic off court distractions.

A couple of tweaks and they'll be fine. Pau Gasol played the worst basketball of his career in these playoffs, so I don't expect that to happen again.

shep33
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
People saying that the Lakers are old are wrong. Dallas' core is older than LA's.

Avenged
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Yep. There can and always have been various "serious" title contenders. They do need some upgrades though if they want to have a higher chance at winning it all.

ichitownclowni
05-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I think they should trade for Chris Paul and there's is another 3peat

JNA17
05-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Ummmmm....yes. Why is this even a discussions? Lakers finally lose one year and all of a sudden you think that changes everything? Now the players will get a lot of rest, much more then they ever did in the past 3 or 4 years.

That and the fact that the lakers will get Dwight Howard in the off-season :D.

gaughan333
05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
As their roster is now, no. If they can make some positive changes, probably.

TboneM3
05-17-2011, 01:37 PM
As their roster is now, no. If they can make some positive changes, probably.

That roster already won 2 championships, how could it no longer be a contender?

:facepalm:

What a joke thread.

sep11ie
05-17-2011, 01:45 PM
I guess the 30th time to start this thread seemed like a good idea?

12to85
05-17-2011, 01:46 PM
joke of a question

nickdymez
05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
If they keep the current roster, yes
If they trade for howard, yes
if they trade for paul or willams, yes

Yes is the answer.. The same team went to the finals 3 years in a row and won two.. Are you people serious?

hugepatsfan
05-17-2011, 02:18 PM
PSD... where overreacting to a small sample size happens

The Apprentice
05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
The lakers made it to the finals 3 out of the last 4 years and have 4 all stars in Kobe,Gasol,Bynum,and Odom,they are serious contenders.All the lakers need is a couple of bench players and they will be the favorites coming out of the west.

wjmoffatt
05-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Does anyone realize that only one team has gone to four straight NBA Finals??? So the Lakers not doing it and losing in the 2nd round means nothing! Boston lost two years ago in the 2nd round to Orlando and came back the next year by going to the NBA Finals and taking LA to 7 games. No need to upgrade the Center position, must upgrade the PG position and add a play maker to the bench, Shannon Brown's a FA and he was the only one that could create shots. This was also a problem with the starters because Kobe has lost a step and can't get to the rim like he use to, so PG is propriety #1!

nickdymez
05-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Does anyone realize that only one team has gone to four straight NBA Finals??? So the Lakers not doing it and losing in the 2nd round means nothing! Boston lost two years ago in the 2nd round to Orlando and came back the next year by going to the NBA Finals and taking LA to 7 games. No need to upgrade the Center position, must upgrade the PG position and add a play maker to the bench, Shannon Brown's a FA and he was the only one that could create shots. This was also a problem with the starters because Kobe has lost a step and can't get to the rim like he use to, so PG is propriety #1!

whats that word mean?

MJ-BULLS
05-17-2011, 02:52 PM
If they get some other key role players for sure.

RaiderLakersA's
05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Outside of LA and an occasional ESPN (jinx) poll, when have the Lakers ever been truly considered SERIOUS title contenders in the Kobe era? Everyone usually second guesses them or hype other teams. Lakers will fly under the radar next year. And if they don't make any changes at all to their roster, especially at PG and on the bench, or if an unpopular HC is hired, no one will consider them serious contenders in 2011-12 either.

Hawkeye15
05-17-2011, 03:48 PM
as long as they have Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol as a core, if they make a couple little moves this summer, of course they are still contenders.

iggypop123
05-17-2011, 03:54 PM
they should be fine. that team lost because kobe' was burned out from all the runs, now he has rest. and the lakers decline began after the denver game, to no ones suprise that was the game where pau hyperextendd his knee and had a bone bruise. looked like he played through it without good sucess, unless landry and nowitzki are in bill rusells leage of defense. my guess is given the amnesty coming up they sign baron davis and that helps them.

championships
05-17-2011, 04:15 PM
You can bet your *** they'll be back!!

DMasta718
05-17-2011, 04:16 PM
They would still be considered championship contenders. They are just in dire need of a PG and a bench

championships
05-17-2011, 04:26 PM
whats that word mean?

propriety [prəˈpraɪətɪ]
n pl -ties
1. the quality or state of being appropriate or fitting
2. conformity to the prevailing standard of behaviour, speech, etc.
3. (plural)
the proprieties the standards of behaviour considered correct by polite society
[from Old French propriété, from Latin proprietās a peculiarity, from proprius one's own]

Probably not what he meant though :D

Purple&Gold24
05-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes, I believe so.

Baller1
05-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Yes, unfortunately.

Jewelz0376
05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
All the Lakers really need to do is make some minor tweaks...

Find a new starting pg (doesnt need to be an all star...just a quality starter)

Add a couple quality bench players.....

They do those two things and I think they will be more than fine for next year

34Dayz
05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
I think it really depends on Kobe. I thought this was one of his worst seasons and he really wasnt able to dominate the way he usually was able to (with scoring) probably due to injurys and a severe decline in overall athleticism. If he can heal up over the summer and play at a significantly higher level this upcoming season then yes I could see the Laker's being one of a bunch of contenders in the west but certainly not a favorite.

I think a smarter option would be for him to accept a lesser role and try to establish Bynum more as a comfortable low post scorer and rely on him and Gasol more to handle the scoring load but due to recent comments he has made and his general personality I cannot see him accepting anything other then the main dog role where he takes the most shots 90% of the time even if it ends up hurting the team in the long run.

I am actually very curious to see how the Laker's perform this upcoming season with a new coach and a slightly older Bryant.

nickdymez
05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
propriety [prəˈpraɪətɪ]
n pl -ties
1. the quality or state of being appropriate or fitting
2. conformity to the prevailing standard of behaviour, speech, etc.
3. (plural)
the proprieties the standards of behaviour considered correct by polite society
[from Old French propriété, from Latin proprietās a peculiarity, from proprius one's own]

Probably not what he meant though :D

lmao... Im thinking maybe he meant "Priority"???

Sadds The Gr8
05-17-2011, 04:36 PM
obviously....

nickdymez
05-17-2011, 04:48 PM
obviously....

lol.. Oh yea?

Lim
05-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Trade pau gasol n bynum for marc gasol and randolph. jk they are fine

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I think they may have a shot. They have this guard on their team, his name's Kobe something, he's a homophobe, which perhaps speaks to some internal personal struggle within himself about certain issues, but he can really play basketball. And they have this other guy, I think he's Mark Gasol's brother? He is a pretty good rebounder and has a great O game. And some guys, Lamar Odom? Ron Artest? Have you guys heard of them? They are pretty good from what I hear. And some HUGE dude, Will Bynum? No, andrew Bynum, that's it. He's essentiually a GIANT in the lane.

Umm.... YEAH. They will be SERIOUS contenders. There should not even be the slightlest doubt in anybody's mind.

Were Magic's Lakers contenders after they got swept out of the playoffs by the 76ers? YES. They went onto to win 3 more rings. Were Bird's Celtics still contenders after they got swept by the Bucks? YES. They went onto win it all.

Look at their talent. Enough said.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Yes, without a doubt. We will win the 2012 championships! Book it.

Raph12
05-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Are you serious?

Superior_Knicks
05-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Yes, I think they are as long as Pau Gasol is concentrated on basketball.

Chronz
05-18-2011, 01:07 PM

I used to agree with this but I heard Bill Simmons mention it the other day, a shortened season can actually hurt old vets. They have play an extra game per week when you average it out. 52 games is nice but they have to play like 4 games a week, I dont think 4 games in 6 nights sometimes will be so good for younger legs.

Iron24th
05-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Yes,they will.

TylerSL
05-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Yes, without a doubt. We will win the 2012 championships! Book it.

Heat, Bulls, Thunder, Mavs, and Celtics might have a little bit to say about that.

Tony_Starks
05-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Only on psd does the team that went to the finals 3 out of the last 4 years finally lose and now are no longer contenders. Kobe and Bynum will both be a year removed from knee surgery and will be stronger. Look at KG when he first had surgery and compare that to this year. Different player.

Also undoubtedly the roster will be tweaked and Fish will finally go to the bench. Hell yes they're contenders.

showtym24
05-22-2011, 03:30 PM
No, we're one of the bottom dwellers now. Move over cavs and t wolves.

Crackadalic
05-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Yes but there not the consensus pick like they were before

blastmasta26
05-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Yes but there not the consensus pick like they were before
This, unless they make the necessary improvements to PG and/or bench.

MrfadeawayJB
05-22-2011, 08:47 PM
I would say as long as they got Kobe, they got a chance

drobe86
05-22-2011, 09:06 PM
NO.... No offense but that window is CLOSED. Kobe's old and can't score 30+ every night anymore. Gasol pretty much showed he's done this year. He can still be an ok player, but he's no longer an allstar. With Dirk, and the new young blood of Blake Griffin Kevin Love and Lamarcus Aldridge. There's no way in hell he's an all star next year. They would have run their offense through Bynum

SP17
05-22-2011, 10:30 PM
NO.... No offense but that window is CLOSED. Kobe's old and can't score 30+ every night anymore. Gasol pretty much showed he's done this year. He can still be an ok player, but he's no longer an allstar. With Dirk, and the new young blood of Blake Griffin Kevin Love and Lamarcus Aldridge. There's no way in hell he's an all star next year. They would have run their offense through Bynum

Becoming a little cocky after you beat us? oh wait..you are always one cocky guy..lol..lets see how it plays out next season..wont surprise me that we finish ahead of you and have our revenge in the playoffs.hahaha.. Gasol is done? what are you smoking man..he played like garbage in the playoffs but he will bounce back next season..

tyfreaks brotha
05-22-2011, 10:39 PM
It kills me to say this but yea of course. Well unless they trade Kobe or Bynum for anyone not named Dwight or Paul

C-Style
05-22-2011, 10:41 PM
I think they should trade for Chris Paul and there's is another 3peat

This

shep33
05-22-2011, 10:47 PM

I really disagree, people forget how hard it is to go to 4 straight Finals. You know the last team to do that was the Celtics nearly 25 years ago? It's tough, they play with a bullseye on their back every game. They got whooped by the Mavs, but calling them done is silly, a few tweaks and they can remain contenders for 2-3 more years easily.

drobe86
05-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Becoming a little cocky after you beat us? oh wait..you are always one cocky guy..lol..lets see how it plays out next season..wont surprise me that we finish ahead of you and have our revenge in the playoffs.hahaha.. Gasol is done? what are you smoking man..he played like garbage in the playoffs but he will bounce back next season..

So tell me why exactly will Pau bounce back? What's to say that he isn't done?? You hope he bounces back, but I can only go off what I've seen lately. And lately Pau Gasol has been awful lol...

sep11ie
05-22-2011, 10:49 PM
0-4, dang, sounds like the lowest basketball game score ever.

SP17
05-22-2011, 10:57 PM
So tell me why exactly will Pau bounce back? What's to say that he isn't done?? You hope he bounces back, but I can only go off what I've seen lately. And lately Pau Gasol has been awful lol...

we can both speculate..lets just see how it pans out next season..

shep33
05-22-2011, 11:17 PM

He was awful I agree, but you don't just go bad overnight. So does Dirk suck after playing horrible and leading the Mavs to a historic collapse against the Warriors? No, not at all, Dirk is one of the best in the game. Players play like crap sometimes, and Dirk's MVP year against the Warriors was actually just as bad as Pau's terrible performance. 38% shooting, bad defense, with a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio...Don't get me wrong, I think Dirk is better Pau, but your basing this argument off of a few games in the playoffs.

ne3xchamps
05-22-2011, 11:35 PM
this thread is still open?? :laugh: wow. Lakers will be back.... book it.

CountSackula
05-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Of course. A few tweaks to the roster and they're ready to go.

Ty Fast
05-23-2011, 12:22 AM
as long as they have kobe they will be

Wade>You
05-23-2011, 03:16 AM
I really disagree, people forget how hard it is to go to 4 straight Finals. You know the last team to do that was the Celtics nearly 25 years ago? It's tough, they play with a bullseye on their back every game. They got whooped by the Mavs, but calling them done is silly, a few tweaks and they can remain contenders for 2-3 more years easily.:clap: for perspective.

Lakers just need to get a new edge. I think increasing Bynum's role on offense will help keep Pau and Kobe fresh in the reg season and make them lethal in the post season.

Unfortunately, I think Phil is still the best coach for this team. It's a system that's been in place for nearly a decade and is proven.