PDA

View Full Version : Report: Owners Initially Asked For $45 Million Hard Cap

fadedmario
05-17-2011, 01:40 AM
The NBA’s initial proposal for a new collective-bargaining deal called for a $45 million per team hard salary cap along with non-guaranteed player contracts and significant cuts in annual salary increases.

The details, spelled out in an April 26 memo issued by National Basketball Players Association Executive Director Billy Hunter, marks the league’s push for a major overhaul of the NBA’s economic model and emphasizes to players an aggressive bid to significantly slash costs and shorten contracts.

The memo was sent to all NBA players and was dated just days prior to the league delivering to the union a new labor proposal, which a source said still included the $45 million hard cap but added a phase-in of the cap over a few years. Union president Derek Fisher publicly dismissed the latest proposal as too similar to the original proposal.

The memo’s most eye-popping element is the league’s proposed $45 million hard cap, which cuts the current $58 million soft cap by nearly 25 percent.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-05-16/sbj-nba-proposes-45-million-hard-salary-cap

So, the initial proposal by the owners is a $45 million HARD CAP AND non guaranteed contracts.

No exceptions to go over... not even to resign your own FAs.

Thoughts?

gaughan333
05-17-2011, 01:44 AM
wont happen

godolphins
05-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Don't expect a season next year

Cubs Win
05-17-2011, 01:48 AM
Wow! That would be one hell of an adjustment. I hope the change isn't that drastic!

THE MTL
05-17-2011, 01:48 AM
I doubt this is legit. Its just too much. Only 45 million, no exceptions, hard cap!

Usually, Hard cap would have a higher salary cap (generally speaking) however u cannot go over. Or it has the exception of "BONUSES" that arent added to the salary cap.

fadedmario
05-17-2011, 01:50 AM
The owners aren't ****ing around

DeyAce
05-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Greed

shep33
05-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Didn't MJ make 35 mill one year? This is ridiculous.

fadedmario
05-17-2011, 01:56 AM
We won't see any basketball next year is the sad thing.

gaughan333
05-17-2011, 02:02 AM
They'll all just go to Europe or that new Canadian league.

Cubs Win
05-17-2011, 02:02 AM

Off the top of my head, I think it was 33 million.

Yeah, just looked it up. $33,140,000 in '97-'98. Crazy how little he made in most of the years, considering that he's the GOAT. Here's a link: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

MagicBucsSox
05-17-2011, 02:14 AM
Lolololololol Orlando is doomed, wtf that's arenas n Turk already

godolphins
05-17-2011, 02:16 AM
Make it a $100 million hard cap :shrug:
The big market teams would love it

For Knicks fan:
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Douglas
SF: Melo
PF: Stoudamire
C: Howard

For Bulls fans:
PG: Rose
SG: Jason Richardson
SF: Deng
PF: Boozer
C: Noah

For Heat fans:
PG: Shannon Brown
SG: Wade
SF: Lebron
PF: Bosh
C: Tyson Chandler

For Laker fans:
PG: Raymon Felton
SG: Kobe
SF: Artest
PF: Gasol
C: Bynum

For OKC fans:
PG: Westbrook
SG: J.R. Smith(to become the ultimate chucking team)
SF: Durant
PF: Ibaka
C: Perkins

:laugh:

championships
05-17-2011, 02:32 AM
The super rich want to get richer????

If this were to happen I would expect to see ticket and merchandise prices come down. If not this would be complete BS.

shep33
05-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Off the top of my head, I think it was 33 million.

Yeah, just looked it up. $33,140,000 in '97-'98. Crazy how little he made in most of the years, considering that he's the GOAT. Here's a link: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

I agree man, players today are overpaid, I mean the stars deserved to get paid, but its sad cause we have guys that are making 10-12 mill that are probably worth less than half that per season. Guys worth 5 mill that should get 1 or 2.

But yeah, the point I was trying to make is that if they want a 45 mill cap, they are being outright stupid, considering that star players are gonna get 20 mill atleast by themselves.

Kevj77
05-17-2011, 02:41 AM
Non-guaranteed contracts are the only way a $45 million hard cap is even realistic. The OP mentions it, do you think NBA players will ever accept that like in the NFL. NFL players demand signing bonuses because of non-guaranteed contracts, which IMO because the bonuses are spread out over the entire non-guaranteed contract makes it almost a soft cap.

How can you ask players with a straight face to accept a 45 million dollar hard cap, when the current cap is a soft cap at 58 million with non-guaranteed contracts. The average team salary is probably 10 million dollars higher than the current salary cap. 45/68 = .66, that is a 33% paycut! Will we see any NBA next year?

Giraffes Rule
05-17-2011, 02:42 AM
All but 1 team this past season had a payroll exceeding $45 million. How do the owners expect to enforce a cap that's less than nearly every team's payroll? I'd bet that most teams have at least $45 million promised to players already for another year or two.

Antipod
05-17-2011, 02:56 AM
ONLY 45 mil is crazy !
If they want a hard cap so bad, it should be at least 60/65 mil.

arkanian215
05-17-2011, 03:01 AM
According to Forbes, 17 of the 30 teams have a negative operating income. However, a lot of those who lost had relatively small losses compared to those who gained. There were 2 teams that lost more than $20 million. In comparison, 8 teams made more than $20 million. I can't imagine the owner's demands holding up at all. Collectively, the entire league should have gained last season, despite the majority not even making par.

Altogether $182.6 million before taxes. I think owners will use the recession and slow recovery to milk as much from the NBAPA as possible. One thing that the owners might have on their side is the average debt value for the league, 37.6%. Of course, the Nets skew the table being at 224% since they're getting a new stadium. Supposedly, owners can't pay market prices for the players in the league and need some sort of ceiling. It's interesting to note that teams overall had a higher operating income 6 years ago and lower debt value ($234.3 million before taxes and 30.1%, respectively). Revenues are up about $20 million on average from 2005 not adjusting for inflation.

PrettyBoyJ
05-17-2011, 03:01 AM
No Football, No Basketball.. :-/

Shmontaine
05-17-2011, 03:08 AM
contracts are already signed... there's no way to get it to 45 mill hard cap... plus, is the nba going to force players off of teams, and therefore force them onto other teams... what if the team would rather not have said player... this would be a cluster****...

just lower the luxury tax and increase the penalty 2-1, that would help the big market/salary teams pay the small ones... quit the *****in

pd1dish
05-17-2011, 03:32 AM
obviously this isnt going to happen and even the owners who proposed this deal knew it wasnt going to happen. the owners are pretty much bargaining with the union so they start out with some outrageous proposal in hopes that the union might settle on something that still favors the owners....not a $45 million hard cap, but maybe something close to it. if you are in the owners position, you cant start out with a reasonable offer because then there is less wiggle room between the current deal and that offer. this way, the owners offer $45 million hard cap, then maybe the union comes back and says they are willing to accept a $55 million hard cap, and then the owners will come back with another proposal. its a process and $45 million hard cap is just the starting point.

idk if that all made sense, but it did in my head lol....time for some sleep

Hellcrooner
05-17-2011, 03:39 AM
aha, and this math geniuses how do expect it to happen?

im pretty sure if you ADD ALL of the contracts already signed and divide them in 30 teams the average is MORE than those 45 millions so teams CANT trade there players one to another to fit the cap.

What do lakers do keep Kobe and fire everyone else and get 14 Nblders?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-17-2011, 03:41 AM
lmao hard cap would not be under 65 mil.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-17-2011, 03:42 AM
aha, and this math geniuses how do expect it to happen?

im pretty sure if you ADD ALL of the contracts already signed and divide them in 30 teams the average is MORE than those 45 millions so teams CANT trade there players one to another to fit the cap.

What do lakers do keep Kobe and fire everyone else and get 14 Nblders?

We still would have gasol+kobe:p

JB0B0
05-17-2011, 03:43 AM
lol @ the owners.

JPHX
05-17-2011, 03:51 AM
im for a hard cap, but 45mil is pretty drastic. delay it or restructure contracts to help pave the way for a hard cap.

Anilyzer
05-17-2011, 04:03 AM
Yeah, the no guaranteed contracts thing is a good idea... if they can find a way to implement that.

Every team is stuck with 2-3 overpaid dogs who make 5-10 million dollars a year each, and are mostly worthless--either chronically injured, old or just play bad and unproductive.

If you could cut those guys from the team, like in the NFL, then it would actually open up spots for new talent and new guys trying to get paid.

The real salary bloat is because they try to get around the "soft cap" by signing a guy for multiple years. For example, you want Derek Fisher for one last run in 2011, so you sign him to a four year, $7M a year contract to beat a competing free agency offer, even though he is 38 or 39.

Then that's $7M extra on your payroll for the next 3 years, even if he doesn't play at all. I'd say that almost every team is carrying an extra $10-$20M of salary that they would love to cut, but instead they're forced to carry along worthless players.

ne3xchamps
05-17-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure if this is legit. a hard cap would have to be higher than that IMO. with no exception of not going over, my guess is there will be a lockout, like the NFL, and the cap will be 56-58M would be my guess.

ne3xchamps
05-17-2011, 09:53 AM
No Football, No Basketball.. :-/

I'm right with you man. looks like I will be buying a snow mobile this winter. :laugh2:

Sly Guy
05-17-2011, 09:57 AM
$45 mil hard cap is too low. It's just a bargaining position, there's no way it'll be that low.

pebloemer
05-17-2011, 10:07 AM
But yeah, the point I was trying to make is that if they want a 45 mill cap, they are being outright stupid, considering that star players are gonna get 20 mill atleast by themselves.

All salaries would be rolled back in this case. And a system would be negotiated on how that is done. But overall, there is no way a 45 million hard cap will be the end result of the negotiations. I'm sure the owners are starting low, knowing that they will be needing to negotiate a number and terms in between.

Hellcrooner
05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
make it 65 million and make it completely hard.

No bird years
No Mle
no Ble
no vets min

and also implement salary slots AND no Increasing or decreasing contracts ( the amoung of each year of the contract must be the same )

Salary slots

1 18 Million player

1 12 Million Player

1 8 Million pLyaer

2 X 5 Million Players

4 x 3 million players

3 X 1 Million Players

3 X Half Million Players

pebloemer
05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
According to Forbes, 17 of the 30 teams have a negative operating income. However, a lot of those who lost had relatively small losses compared to those who gained. There were 2 teams that lost more than $20 million. In comparison, 8 teams made more than $20 million. I can't imagine the owner's demands holding up at all. Collectively, the entire league should have gained last season, despite the majority not even making par.

Altogether $182.6 million before taxes. I think owners will use the recession and slow recovery to milk as much from the NBAPA as possible. One thing that the owners might have on their side is the average debt value for the league, 37.6%. Of course, the Nets skew the table being at 224% since they're getting a new stadium. Supposedly, owners can't pay market prices for the players in the league and need some sort of ceiling. It's interesting to note that teams overall had a higher operating income 6 years ago and lower debt value ($234.3 million before taxes and 30.1%, respectively). Revenues are up about $20 million on average from 2005 not adjusting for inflation.

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

PhillyFaninLA
05-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Everything that seems to come from the commissioners office or owners is that almost all the teams are losing and the players union is refuting that at all so I tend to believe it. It was happening in hockey and drastic changes where needed to keep franchises from folding. Personally I am anti salary cap but a hard cap is better them teams folding.

daleja424
05-17-2011, 10:16 AM
LOL. The NHL's hard cap is 60 million and the NBA, who makes A LOT more revenue, wants a 45 million dollar cap. Ya...okay...

If there is going to be a hard cap, it will need to be in the high 60s or low 70s... and it also won't take place for several years. All of that said, the players will never sign off on the non guaranteed deals required to make a hard cap...

Steely McBeam
05-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Its a negotiation tactic. These owners didn't get to where they are at in the business world by making erroneous decisions. When they add 10 million to this cap number it will appear as though the players won the negotiations, but I still don't think there will be basketball next season.

Hellcrooner
05-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Its a negotiation tactic. These owners didn't get to where they are at in the business world by making erroneous decisions. When they add 10 million to this cap number it will appear as though the players won the negotiations, but I still don't think there will be basketball next season.

mmmm is the Ncaa, the euroleague, the uleb cup, the new Aba and so on in lockout too?

Iceman05
05-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Who would of thought that MLBs ********* up system would be the only one left standing.

justinnum1
05-17-2011, 11:51 AM
These owners meeting must be crazy, there has to be 2 groups, i cant believe arrison, dolan, buss, devoss, bostons guy want this.

ManRam
05-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Start low and work up I guess...

I'm 100% for a hard cap, but it won't ever be this low.

LakersIn5
05-17-2011, 12:00 PM
WTF. just keep the current CBA! i dont mind watching the lakers,heat,bulls,celtics and other rich teams in the finals every year. and just because some teams are lower market teams it doesnt mean they dont have a chance in winning. THEIR FRONT OFFICE JUST SUCK! look at the thunder and spurs.

airforceones25
05-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Next 3 seasons

Kobe
32 - This is going to be awesome!

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-17-2011, 12:46 PM
They need to increase this a little. How the **** can a team function with only $45 million?!

With an Amnesty Clause, it will take a big chunk off the salary for almost every team.

Lo Porto
05-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I like what the owners are doing. It's absolutely stupid that so many guys are making more than $15 a year. The NBA is not the NFL yet the NFL doesn't have as many monster contracts as the NBA. And if you look at those contracts, so many teams regret them. Look at these regretable contracts the last few years:

Marbury, McGrady, AK47, Rashard Lewis, Gilbert Arenas, Eddy Curry, Michael Redd, Vince Carter, etc.

The system is flawed and the owners are trying to clean it up. They are coming out strong, but a hard cap at $50 to $60 million makes so much more sense than the nonsense of LA spending $90 million.

Teams make trades to dump salaries. That's not what it should be about. Pro sports should be about talent and trading talent. Not doing what you can to save money because you have some overpaid chump to dump.

Muttman73
05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Guess we'll all be watching a lot of hockey

Branwegner84
05-17-2011, 01:11 PM
There's no way, the lowest team salary last year was The Kings with $44,418,400. Lockout is a sure thing if the owners are going to be like that.

daleja424
05-17-2011, 01:17 PM
I like what the owners are doing. It's absolutely stupid that so many guys are making more than $15 a year. The NBA is not the NFL yet the NFL doesn't have as many monster contracts as the NBA. And if you look at those contracts, so many teams regret them. Look at these regretable contracts the last few years:

Marbury, McGrady, AK47, Rashard Lewis, Gilbert Arenas, Eddy Curry, Michael Redd, Vince Carter, etc.

The system is flawed and the owners are trying to clean it up. They are coming out strong, but a hard cap at $50 to $60 million makes so much more sense than the nonsense of LA spending $90 million.

Teams make trades to dump salaries. That's not what it should be about. Pro sports should be about talent and trading talent. Not doing what you can to save money because you have some overpaid chump to dump.

Then maybe the rejects should spend without impunity.

Seriously, it is ridiculous. Who the heck signed all of these guys to the huge contracts? Hint: The same people who are now complaining how big contracts are.

If I buy a new TV that costs 2000 dollars, it would be dumb for me to complain about how expensive it was down the road. If I wasn't willing to spend the money I shouldn't have spent it!

Players are only worth what GMs say they are. The GMs have spoken and have paid these guys richly. Now they want to unring the bell? Good luck! :rolleyes:

BigDFan85
05-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Guess we'll all be watching a lot of hockey

Funny thing is, the NHL's salary FLOOR was $43.4 million and the max was $59.4 million, for the 2010-2011 season. Are you kidding me NBA owners?

godolphins
05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
This wouldn't be fair at all especially for a team like OKC who drafted two superstars and they might not even be able to keep both of them, what if this year they draft another superstar :shrug: That will mean they wouldn't even be able to afford to keep them, the least they might take is $13 million:

Superstar A: $13
Superstar B: $13
Superstar C: $13
=$39 million with $6 million left to built around them
That's not fair

Teams should be able to go over the cap to sign their own players that they drafted and 50% of that player salary should be counted towards the cap.

tbone2171
05-17-2011, 01:49 PM
As a small market team fan..I'd love to see this

NYY 26 to 7
05-17-2011, 01:50 PM
what a joke. Yea sad there will be no NBA next year and the owners are too stupid to realize they are just starting to gain significant popularity again. This will really damage the league.

NYY 26 to 7
05-17-2011, 01:54 PM
As a small market team fan..I'd love to see this

There is a cap. Small market arguement doesn't work here and actually this hurts small market teams. More than ever players will want the business and marketing opportunities available to suppliment their income in the large media markets. So that thinking is naive. Also we aren't talking 200 million here its 45 which all these owners easily have. The losses the owners are claiming (300 mill) are way overstated as proved by the PA.

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Im sure the max contracts would shrink considerably as well, along with every other contract.

If everything shrinks along with the CAP, its basically the same thing. Not sure the players are willing to play for prolly 25% less though.

Bruno
05-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm with the players on this one.

These people have the potential to make make out well on their investments if they run their franchises correctly (don't hand out terrible contracts, take some responsibility). Don't look at it as "athletes shouldn't make that much money"; they deserve their part of the pie. The league is going to rake in the money they're going to rake in, regardless of player salaries. If the players aren't getting the money, somebody is. I'd rather see an athleate make 15 million in one season than a very select few at the top raking in SERIOUS CASH.

Bruno
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
If they're serious about the hard cap, anything under 60 million is unrealistic.

Chacarron
05-17-2011, 02:07 PM
I agree only if there is an ultimate fantasy draft amongst all 30 teams.

Lo Porto
05-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Then maybe the rejects should spend without impunity.

Seriously, it is ridiculous. Who the heck signed all of these guys to the huge contracts? Hint: The same people who are now complaining how big contracts are.

If I buy a new TV that costs 2000 dollars, it would be dumb for me to complain about how expensive it was down the road. If I wasn't willing to spend the money I shouldn't have spent it!

Players are only worth what GMs say they are. The GMs have spoken and have paid these guys richly. Now they want to unring the bell? Good luck! :rolleyes:

I completely see and respect your point, but it's not that easy. Owners have to keep the fans happy. Fans get attached to players. Players and their agents use that loophole to get the owners to overpay.

Now if all of your friends told you to buy that TV or they won't be your friends anymore, you might 2nd guess buying that TV. All these GM's and owners buy the TV because they can't afford to lose friends.

This all comes down to market value. Bad contracts will always exist, but they shouldn't be so big that they suffocate a team. No player should get paid more than $15 for a season, and even then, only a few guys should be worth that and not every team's #1 player. They shouldn't for a lot of reasons. If $15 isn't enough, get an endorsement.

8kobe24
05-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Wow, 45 million. Miami cannot play 3 on 5.

BigCityofDreams
05-17-2011, 02:37 PM
We won't see any basketball next year is the sad thing.

And it's a shame because the NBA hasn't been this popular in yrs.

tbone2171
05-17-2011, 02:45 PM
There is a cap. Small market arguement doesn't work here and actually this hurts small market teams. More than ever players will want the business and marketing opportunities available to suppliment their income in the large media markets. So that thinking is naive. Also we aren't talking 200 million here its 45 which all these owners easily have. The losses the owners are claiming (300 mill) are way overstated as proved by the PA.

Haha I'm naive? ..First learn how to spell before you try to make a counterpoint. Secondly, this doesn't hurt small market teams. Do you understand what a hard cap means? It means your not going to see anymore Miami's, Boston's, Dallas's, or New York's with their big 3's..there would actually be superstars spread out amongst the league.

Da Knicks
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM

IRONIC your team will get crippled with just two guys if that would happen.:laugh2:

BigCityofDreams
05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Haha I'm naive? ..First learn how to spell before you try to make a counterpoint. Secondly, this doesn't hurt small market teams. Do you understand what a hard cap means? It means your not going to see anymore Miami's, Boston's, Dallas's, or New York's with their big 3's..there would actually be superstars spread out amongst the league.

But why do the small market teams need more help? There are bird rights, restricted free agency, and the ability to offer more money than an opposing team. I don't like how Lebron handled his exit but he was on the Cavs for 7 yrs and the best they could do was Mo Williams and Jamison.

Da Knicks
05-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Wrong players would look to make money somewhere else, this would make big market teams even stronger.:facepalm:

Run&Gun
05-17-2011, 02:57 PM
its probably true player shouldn't be making that much money but its also true baseball in general should not create so much revenue its stupid cba since only helps the owners and not the fans who overlay for everything I think a 60 mill hard cap is realistic and keep bird rights . sometimes I think players should have lower salaries guaranteed salaries and put more incentives. like Howard make a base of 12 mail but have 7 mill of incentives.

BoTiggle
05-17-2011, 03:08 PM
The owners need to do something. Starting negotiations at $45 sounds reasonable considering the dire financial straits the league is in.

This is NOT the NFL. The owners need to be tough here.

commonsense12
05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
This is stupid, hockey has a bigger cap and makes less money. Plus if their is a 45 mill cap are the owners going to lower ticket prices? If they lower them by half then i am all for a 45 mill cap.

CeeDub15
05-17-2011, 03:14 PM
I doubt this is true. If it is, the have a long ways to go.

Jetsguy
05-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Make it a $100 million hard cap :shrug:
The big market teams would love it

For Knicks fan:
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Douglas
SF: Melo
PF: Stoudamire
C: Howard

For Bulls fans:
PG: Rose
SG: Jason Richardson
SF: Deng
PF: Boozer
C: Noah

For Heat fans:
PG: Shannon Brown
SG: Wade
SF: Lebron
PF: Bosh
C: Tyson Chandler

For Laker fans:
PG: Raymon Felton
SG: Kobe
SF: Artest
PF: Gasol
C: Bynum

For OKC fans:
PG: Westbrook
SG: J.R. Smith(to become the ultimate chucking team)
SF: Durant
PF: Ibaka
C: Perkins

Knicks would won this by the way:p

They may never lose a game

godolphins
05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
11/12
Kobe: $25,244,000
Gasol: $18,714,150

Total: $43,958,150 between two players, add in Matt Barnes $1.9

12/13
Kobe: $27,849,000
Gasol: $19,000,000

Total: $46,849,000 over the cap

13/14
Kobe: $30,453,000
Gasol: $19,285,850

Total: $49,738,850 over the cap

What are the Lakers going to do when Kobe will be making $30 million :laugh2:

tbone2171
05-17-2011, 03:21 PM
11/12
Kobe: $25,244,000
Gasol: $18,714,150

Total: $43,958,150 between two players, add in Matt Barnes $1.9

12/13
Kobe: $27,849,000
Gasol: $19,000,000

Total: $46,849,000 over the cap

13/14
Kobe: $30,453,000
Gasol: $19,285,850

Total: $49,738,850 over the cap

What are the Lakers going to do when Kobe will be making $30 million :laugh2:

Exactly my point earlier...someone please tell me how this would be good for large market teams again?

jrm2054
05-17-2011, 03:24 PM
wont happen plus no basketball next year

DMasta718
05-17-2011, 03:36 PM
But why do the small market teams need more help? There are bird rights, restricted free agency, and the ability to offer more money than an opposing team.

Exactly. Don't small market teams get enough help as it is?

Now I'm not entirely against a hard cap but 45 mill cap is absurd.

Cracka2HI!
05-17-2011, 03:42 PM
$45 million won't work. The league will lose too many starts to Europe. If a star player makes even $15 million there won't really be room to sign the rest of the team and have them be any good. Secondary starts on teams like Deng, Westbrook ect won't be happy only being able to make $7-8 million a year tops.

truplayer199
05-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Exactly my point earlier...someone please tell me how this would be good for large market teams again?

You don't get it. Ever heard of incentives? A player could sign with a large market team for less money, and still have a higher income due to endorsements.

sjoerdje
05-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone2171
You don't get it. Ever heard of incentives? A player could sign with a large market team for less money, and still have a higher income due to endorsements.

Shall i explain this in an example?

here it goes:

Star Player A heads to Free Agency,

when he signs with a small market team, he will sign the Max contract.
but besides the max contract he will not earn any extra money!

when he signs in one of the big markets, he can sign for 1$ a year.
his leverage will be gigantic, he will pull the strings of the francise, his friends will receive job offers, nice presents and parties. the player can demand everything he wants really.
AND on top of that he gains a lot of local sponsorships and programs that will boost his income and brand, which is the equevalent to the profit of his "shoedeal" or "clothingline".
In the end, the star player gets everything he wants in the major market:
the leverage or control
a lot more money than a max contract
the spotlights

Star players will be so much more powerful in a low cap system. The leverage and control can also be gained with a small market team. but the big markets will be prefered, there's so much more money to be made.

Atticus Finch
05-17-2011, 05:06 PM

If you're gonna go around being grammar police today you should probably make sure your grammar is spot on. Just saying.

29$JerZ
05-17-2011, 05:09 PM
It's stupid

You handicap all the major market teams and give small market teams less of an insentive to spend on talent for CAP purposes.

It's fine where its at. Just eliminate the MLE and fix the average structure of what a Max Contract is valued at.

dtmagnet
05-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Everyone calling the owners greedy, didn't like 90% of the teams fail to make a profit this season?

daleja424
05-17-2011, 05:48 PM
If you're gonna go around being grammar police today you should probably make sure your grammar is spot on. Just saying.

check and mate

KingPosey
05-17-2011, 06:16 PM
no way in hell.

KingPosey
05-17-2011, 06:18 PM

That is an incomplete sentence.....:hide:

Branwegner84
05-17-2011, 06:55 PM
I will use T-Wolves next years salaries, to show how ignorant a $45 million hard cap is.

Michael Beasley $6,262,347
Martell Webster $5,256,000
Darko Milicic $4,776,500
Nikola Pekovic $4,503,600
Luke Ridnour $3,680,000
Wesley Johnson $4,006,080
Kevin Love $4,609,701
Jonny Flynn $3,414,720
Anthony Tolliver $2,050,000
Anthony Randolph$2,911,231
Wayne Ellington $1,154,040
Lazar Hayward $1,097,520
Total Team Salary of $43,721,739

That's is worst team is the NBA, with 85% of there team being under rookie contract. By the time they sign there rookies, they will be over the cap.

Atticus Finch
05-17-2011, 06:56 PM
That is an incomplete sentence.....:hide:

Well played :clap:

BigCityofDreams
05-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Exactly. Don't small market teams get enough help as it is?

Now I'm not entirely against a hard cap but 45 mill cap is absurd.

They get a ton of help but he's a crazy idea build better teams.

I'm not for a hard cap but I can get over it.

JordanPippen
05-17-2011, 10:10 PM
don't get your panties up in a bunch. it's called a low ball offer. The cap is probably going to settle around the 50 mil mark.

arkanian215
05-17-2011, 10:17 PM
We still would have gasol+kobe:p

Clipps/Thunder would still have most of their core intact. Chicago would probably be the best team in the league though.

godolphins
05-18-2011, 12:35 PM
The hard cap should be set at $60 million, teams should have four years to get under the cap and they should also be able to renegotiate players contract to try to get under $60 million.

redsox0717
05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
This is how you negotiate, you start off with a high price, then both sides haggle it down to something reasonable. It's typical to see this.