PDA

View Full Version : Do you think 2 rivals would trade superstars to each other?

asomen
05-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Simply put, can you recall a time where 2 rivals in the NBA traded superstars to each other? I can't remember a blockbuster trade that involved 2 rivals (IE Lakers/Celtics, Bulls/Pistons, Heat/Knicks, Spurs/Lakers, etc).

The reason I bring this up is because I can think of a logical trade between 2 current rivals that would make sense for both teams. However, I'm not sure they'd be willing to give the other team their superstar even though it makes sense on paper. Better yet, I'm not sure the fans of the 2 teams would be able to accept it.

My example is between the Celtics and Lakers. The Lakers have an obvious need at PG, a guy who can run an offense and distribute the ball not named Kobe. The Celtics have an obvious need at C after trading away Perkins and watching Jermaine O'Neal and Nenad Krystic play a majority of the minutes.

What I'm saying is, would a trade something along the lines of Rondo for Bynum ever happen in the NBA between 2 of the biggest rivals even though it helps both teams? Or would egos, biases, fans, etc. get in the way of something like this?

Chill_Will_24
05-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Doubt it... The Lakers need a PG that can shoot.

About the rivals part i doubt it would be a problem as long as it benefits both teams. BOS wont trade Rondo thou.

D1JM
05-16-2011, 03:02 PM
you usually dont trade a big for a small

PurpleJesus
05-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I think two rivals would make a trade if it benefited both teams, in LA/Bos case, a trade could definitely happen considering they play in not just different divisions, but different conferences as well...However, Rondo for Bynum does not seem plausible...Boston would end up hurting at PG, and LA would end up hurting at C depth. I am also sure Rondo is the guy that boston will be looking to build around once the big three are gone.

Chill_Will_24
05-16-2011, 03:07 PM
you usually dont trade a big for a small

Exactly. They Lakers didnt trade Bynum for JKidd back in the day, they wont trade him now for Rondo

PhillyFaninLA
05-16-2011, 03:20 PM
A good GM is only concerned about making there team better. If that means trading superstar for superstar than you do it and don't concern yourself with the other team.

If you make your better you'll beat them anyway. If a GM does not think that way fire them.

FarOutIos
05-16-2011, 03:34 PM
I think this kind of trade would also have to go hand in hand with other moves. Say Dwight Howard going to the Lakers somehow... which would also make Bynum expendable.

Not sure how Superman goes to the Lakers without sending Bynum in a trade tho...

Pierzynski4Prez
05-16-2011, 03:40 PM
A lakers-celtics rivlary isn't your typical rivalry though. They are not inter-division or in the same conference, so I don't think they wouldn't consider a trade "just because" its the Celtics or the Lakers. Now if you are trading your own superstar to another team that you will have to go through eventually in the playoffs, then you might consider it slightly.

For instance, I'd be willing to bet that if Orlando trades Dwight, it will not be within the Eastern Conference.

JasonJohnHorn
05-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Any GM would make a trade that would help increase their chances of winning. They have to do extra math when they are trading with another contender because they dont want to give up more than they are getting back, or create a potential mismatch for themselves in the playoffs, but if a team can get better, the GM will trade with whoever will make them the best offer.

Though I did hear that after the Eddy Curry trade, NY was NOT taking calls from Chi-town... lol. I mean, I seriously heard that. The Lakers did trade Kermit Washington to the Celtics back in the day, but I dont think either was really in contention at the time. I cant think of too many examples of it though.