PDA

View Full Version : General Fan Response To Bibby

JasonJohnHorn
05-16-2011, 11:28 AM
I've personally always been a Bibby fan. I was impressed with his playoff performances in Sac-town, his unselfish play, commitment to defence and team ball. He seemed to know how to turn things up a notch in the post season. His time with Atlanta was a little disapointing, and when he signed with the Heat, even though I am not a Heat fan, I was hoping to see him do well and even perhaps show up some of the stars on the team. Unfortunately he seems to have dropped off the map even further than he did in the ATL.

So I was wondering what other fans thought about Bibby on a whole and specifically how he has done in Miami. I thought he'd be the answer Miami needed at the point, but now I'm thinking the Heat should just go with a bigger line up, put Wade at PG, Miller at SG, LBJ SF, Bosh PF and whoever they feel like starting at center, because it just seems like Bibby is not doing the job. I hope he proves me wrong because I would love to see him play up to his Sac-town performances, but it looks like retirement may not be too far away for him.

Thoughts? And lets hear from some old-school King fans and Hawks fans too.

Gibby23
05-16-2011, 11:29 AM
He can't defend and isn't option 1, 2 or 3 like he was in Sacramento.

GeekInThePink
05-16-2011, 11:36 AM
I think he did a good job on Rose last night, other then that he's been garbage.

Klivlend
05-16-2011, 11:42 AM
You do realize those Sac-Town performances were like a decade ago, right? A lot changes in a decade, he is not the same player and hasn't been for years. I'm a huge Bibby fan. It's hard to accept, but it's the truth.

king4day
05-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Atlanta traded him and Washington bought him out because they felt he was done. Now Miami also sees that.

marlinsfan24
05-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Atlanta traded him and Washington bought him out because they felt he was done. Now Miami also sees that.

He was shooting so well in the regular season.

Ray_R
05-16-2011, 11:45 AM
I thought he was brought in to knock down open 3's. He is shooting 45% which is not bad at all. I don't think he was brought in to be a main ball handler because most of the time the ball is in either LBJ hands or Wade's.

bovice163
05-16-2011, 11:48 AM
He's not a difference maker. He was brought in to make open looks, try to defend the opponent's PGs, and stretch the floor. He's an average role player at this point in his career, and I'm being generous saying that. It just gives Miami a little added depth at PG, but they'd be much better off starting Chalmers imo.

DeyAce
05-16-2011, 11:51 AM
He's done

Chi StateOfMind
05-16-2011, 11:54 AM
He just doesn't have that "Factor" any more. Not everyone is as gifted as others. He's getting old. My thing is if he were going against a slower PG, this wouldn't even be coming up. Yes, he hasn't been making threes but sometimes it's a mental thing when you have to stop someone on the defensive side and you can't.

MagicBucsSox
05-16-2011, 12:06 PM
My response: if he ain't drop 50 wtf is there a thread about him? These mods are sleeping at the wheel

beasted86
05-16-2011, 01:06 PM
He is shooting 45% which is not bad at all.

False... Past tense. 27% FG, 23% 3PT in the playoffs so far. Still started every single game.

I wish Spoesltra would wake up and play a bigger lineup out there.

PG: Wade
SG: Miller
SF: LeBron
PF: Bosh
C:: Anthony

That's our best rebounding lineup. Wade doesn't have to defend Rose on every play since Miller can defend the 2 or 3 and take LeBron's opponent. Wade & LeBron could split time on him until Chalmers enters the game.

Aside from that even if Spo wants to stick to his rotation no matter what, that's no excuse to have Chalmers splitting minutes with Bibby. It's pretty darn clear who the better player is out of the two. Bibby can play 18 minutes, and Chalmers the other 30. They should never be at 23 minutes a piece unless Mario is in foul trouble.

gaughan333
05-16-2011, 01:11 PM
I've personally always been a Bibby fan. I was impressed with his playoff performances in Sac-town, his unselfish play, commitment to defence and team ball. He seemed to know how to turn things up a notch in the post season. His time with Atlanta was a little disapointing, and when he signed with the Heat, even though I am not a Heat fan, I was hoping to see him do well and even perhaps show up some of the stars on the team. Unfortunately he seems to have dropped off the map even further than he did in the ATL.

So I was wondering what other fans thought about Bibby on a whole and specifically how he has done in Miami. I thought he'd be the answer Miami needed at the point, but now I'm thinking the Heat should just go with a bigger line up, put Wade at PG, Miller at SG, LBJ SF, Bosh PF and whoever they feel like starting at center, because it just seems like Bibby is not doing the job. I hope he proves me wrong because I would love to see him play up to his Sac-town performances, but it looks like retirement may not be too far away for him.

Thoughts? And lets hear from some old-school King fans and Hawks fans too.

He was good in sac, but he is bad now

bmac_121
05-16-2011, 01:24 PM
At this point in his career he is nothing more than a spot up shooter. He is terrible on the defensive side of the court, that's why Atlanta traded him. You're not going anywhere with Mike Bibby as your starting point guard anymore.

LionsFan..LOL
05-16-2011, 01:33 PM
If he isn't knocking down threes for Mia he is useless, also he isn't good in the defensive side of the ball.

Crackadalic
05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
If his shots arent falling what else is he good at?

ramz.n
05-16-2011, 01:45 PM
hes at end of his career..he even knows that..thats why he signed with a playoff bound team who at the beginning of the season had very good odds of winning the championship...the man just wants a ring before he retires..isnt that what every player wants?

johnwayne
05-16-2011, 02:03 PM
My response: if he ain't drop 50 wtf is there a thread about him? These mods are sleeping at the wheel

lol wtf are you talkin about?

The_Jamal
05-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Damn I miss the glory days :( Unfortunately, Bibby is a shell of his former self and is really on his last legs. I'm hoping the Heat or Mavs win the title to get him or Peja a ring.

Ray_R
05-16-2011, 02:16 PM
False... Past tense. 27% FG, 23% 3PT in the playoffs so far. Still started every single game.

That's our best rebounding lineup. Wade doesn't have to defend Rose on every play since Miller can defend the 2 or 3 and take LeBron's opponent. Wade & LeBron could split time on him until Chalmers enters the game.

Aside from that even if Spo wants to stick to his rotation no matter what, that's no excuse to have Chalmers splitting minutes with Bibby. It's pretty darn clear who the better player is out of the two. Bibby can play 18 minutes, and Chalmers the other 30. They should never be at 23 minutes a piece unless Mario is in foul trouble.

My bad I probaly was looking at his 3pt% from the regular season

ElMarroAfamado
05-16-2011, 02:20 PM
it is hard for him to do anything because lebrick and wade alwaaaaaaays have the ball...and other players can never get involved offensively unless they spot up and knock down Js. And i dont think think Mike Bibby attempted but a couple shots yesterday so...

magichatnumber9
05-16-2011, 02:20 PM
I've never liked him. Not sure why

chitown815
05-16-2011, 02:31 PM

Ive never liked him or jason williams, must be the style of play

dtmagnet
05-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Just another ring chaser.

JasonJohnHorn
05-16-2011, 07:56 PM

That is exactly the line-up I think they should go with. Miller can play SG as easily as SF, and his height, 6'8, gives him some serious advantage on most players. Bosh can match up with anypower forward and generally not get outplayed by much, and LBJ and Wade are arguably the best players at their positions, certainly the best left in the playoffs. And while Anthony has been foul prone, and a little undersized for center, he at least puts an effort out on defence and on the boards, and rotating Big Z, Howard and Magloire in, to cover center and back up Bosh. I mean Haslem isnt feeling it yet, and Miami's weakness is at the C, but lets face it, they arent really using what players they do have. They have to get Howard and Magloire out on the court. Its bad enough they dont even have Dampier or Pittman around for the playoffs. They have to take advantage of whatever size they DO have, and that is at PG, SG and PF, IF Spo puts the right line-up in.

hyb152
05-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Most of you guys are right. He was brought in to be a knock down shooter, not the primary ball handler like he used to be in Sac. But you guys also forgot ONE MAJOR reason why he was brought in. He can knock down clutch shots, especially in the playoffs. Lebron or Wade will usually be the first/second options in late game situations, but we've seen them drive and kick to an open shooter for a big 3. Bibby is far more qualified to hit that open 3 with the game on the line than Jones or Miller. He also brings stability, but we don't see much of that since Wade and Lebron are handling the ball usually.

buch88
05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Damn I miss the glory days :( Unfortunately, Bibby is a shell of his former self and is really on his last legs. I'm hoping the Heat or Mavs win the title to get him or Peja a ring.

Bibby and peja already won a ring in 2002. I guess u just want them to add to their collection?

MrfadeawayJB
05-16-2011, 08:43 PM
who cares??? They might sign him next year too so he can keep eddie house company on the bench

X12Celtics3
05-16-2011, 09:14 PM

I've always strongly disliked Bibby.

Raph12
05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
He's there to make open shots, he's been decent in that aspect...

Fnom11
05-17-2011, 12:48 AM
hope he gets taken out of the lineup.

PrettyBoyJ
05-17-2011, 12:58 AM
If the heats win he should just retire.. And try his luck in Sac front office if they'll take him

KingPosey
05-17-2011, 01:01 AM
I honestly thought he had more left in the tank, and just deffered in Atlanta. But he has shown that he has lost it both physically and mentally much harder than i thought he would. I thought Miami would be a great situation for him and he would light guys up, but at this point he doesnt even deserve to start. I assume the Heat just dont want to mamke their bench even thinner.

championships
05-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Bibby is in the twilight of his career now But I agree, After he left Sac he hasn't been the same. I think ATL and playing along with Joe and Josh ruined him.

Catfish1314
05-17-2011, 02:01 AM
I thought he would last a lot longer in the league because he's not one of those players who relies on athleticism to be effective. When his feet were set in Sacramento, you could mark it down. I wish I could find a stat on his shooting percentages with his feet set because that would probably be a ridiculous number.

But that's about all he's good for these days: a spot-up shooter. He doesn't make many mistakes and knows how to play the position, but he's one of the worst defenders on the ball in the league; always has been.

As someone who watched him for 7-8 years in Sacramento, I'm shocked at how quickly his play declined.

buch88
05-17-2011, 02:07 AM
I honestly thought he had more left in the tank, and just deffered in Atlanta. But he has shown that he has lost it both physically and mentally much harder than i thought he would. I thought Miami would be a great situation for him and he would light guys up, but at this point he doesnt even deserve to start. I assume the Heat just dont want to mamke their bench even thinner.

you're wrong. it only looks like he's lost as much as u think he has. its true he's lost a lot, but not as much as u think. he's playing "point guard" on a team with two other primary ball handlers. So where does that leave bibby? he cant post up. he cant drive and finish anymore. all he can do is shoot open shots when he catches kick outs from wade and james. BUT, if bibby were to be the starting pg on a team that didnt have two other guys like wade and james, he would be showing a lot more. watching a lot of his hawk games before he was traded this year, he still was decent and running a team. he would get his 5 assists and 10 pts while not turning the ball over. he's kinda turned into a shane battier in the way they make the team better without the stats that show for it. yes, bibby has lost a few steps, but he's not as bad as you think he is. it just looks that way since he plays with wade and james. if he was on another team that utilized him more or put him in a situation where he would play his natural position more, you would be able to see he still has some left in the tank. he probably would be a starter on maybe less than half of the teams in the league now days though.

MalZee24
05-17-2011, 02:09 AM
I've always strongly disliked Bibby.

you didn't always dislike him. u only started disliking him because he said the celtics or rondo or something was overrated in the 2008 playoffs. thats why u dislike him. and that was only about 3 years ago. so you havent always strongly disliked bibby.

KingPosey
05-17-2011, 12:19 PM
you're wrong. it only looks like he's lost as much as u think he has. its true he's lost a lot, but not as much as u think. he's playing "point guard" on a team with two other primary ball handlers. So where does that leave bibby? he cant post up. he cant drive and finish anymore. all he can do is shoot open shots when he catches kick outs from wade and james. BUT, if bibby were to be the starting pg on a team that didnt have two other guys like wade and james, he would be showing a lot more. watching a lot of his hawk games before he was traded this year, he still was decent and running a team. he would get his 5 assists and 10 pts while not turning the ball over. he's kinda turned into a shane battier in the way they make the team better without the stats that show for it. yes, bibby has lost a few steps, but he's not as bad as you think he is. it just looks that way since he plays with wade and james. if he was on another team that utilized him more or put him in a situation where he would play his natural position more, you would be able to see he still has some left in the tank. he probably would be a starter on maybe less than half of the teams in the league now days though.
Huh?

And he didnt look good with Atlanta either.

Kashmir13579
05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
i'd like to see him play well and get a ring. he was sooo close to it on the Kings.

Sly Guy
05-17-2011, 02:21 PM
dude is old, having bibby be your starting point is as fallible as thinking shaq can still play as your starting center.

theheatles
05-17-2011, 02:32 PM
bibby has to start, we can't deplete our bench anymore by starting chalmers...at this point i'll be thrilled if bibby goes 1/2 from 3 giving just 3 pts playing 15 minutes of d of just not getting torched

Hangtime
05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
What choice does the Heat have at this point? Would anyone prefer Eddie House?

RCarlson85
05-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately, I think Bibby is about done. I was excited when he came to the Heat because I felt like he would be an upgrade over what we had. When he first came to the Heat he was actually shooting threes really well, making alot and shooting a great percentage. In the last few weeks of the season and the playoffs though, he's been pretty awful. All he really provides is three point shooting, so if his shot isn't dropping, he's basically worthless. I would rather see Chalmers start at this point and get 30-35 minutes with Bibby's minutes being very limited.

truplayer199
05-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Bibby and peja already won a ring in 2002. I guess u just want them to add to their collection?

Huh?? Please check your facts

RCarlson85
05-17-2011, 04:56 PM
What choice does the Heat have at this point? Would anyone prefer Eddie House?

Yes actually. If it were up to me, I would start Chalmers and have House come off the bench before I would play Bibby. Bibby can't hit a three to save his life, I would absolutely give House a chance over him.

buch88
05-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Huh?

And he didnt look good with Atlanta either.

Shane Battier averages like 4 points a game, a couple rebounds, maybe a steal or a block, that's about it. His stats suck. But he's an asset to any team and any coach would want him on the floor because he's one of those players that makes the team better without the stats that show for it. For example, they dont keep the hockey assist stat in bball but he gets plenty of those. The way he reads defenses and knows where to be at the right times is very good. Plus he's a very good defender but doesnt always get the defensive stats to show for it. That's kind of like what bibby is now. Bibby can still run a team. He knows the offense. He brings stability and is a very smart offensive player. He knows where to be and is a very very good ball handler. We just dont see all that much anymore since lebron and wade always handle. All i'm saying is he's not as bad as you were making him sound. you were making him sound like he's flat out done or close to it. I'm just saying he's lost a lot, but still has some left that we cant really see since he's an after thought on miami

buch88
05-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Huh?? Please check your facts

it was a joke. most fans of all nba teams (even some laker fans) all say the 2002 champs were really the kings because of that infamous game 6 that stole the ship from sacramento. oh and if you want me to check facts, that game being rigged basically was a fact. that's how obvious it was. i'm no kings fan trying to bring up past stuff. i'm just explaining to u what i meant.

76erEaglePhils
05-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Bibby sucks

toovey107
05-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Was the biggest Bibby fan at Arizona and I was a King fan back in the day with him and Webber.

Now? well, he's cooked.