PDA

View Full Version : Suns Exec Comes Out

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2011, 07:18 PM
NBA.com has released a very interesting and courageous story:

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/05/15/suns.gay.executive.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

A Suns exec, appartly partly spurred by the "other" F-word dropped by Kobe, has come out hoping to break one last barrier.

It is certainly true that in sports, being homosexual has not been embraced, though the WNBA, PGA, Women's Tennis and other female sports venues seem to be at ease with homosexuality, the men do not.

John Amaechi is the only NBA player that I know of who has come out, and he only did it after he had retired. He made claims that Jerry Sloan used homophobic slurs to motivate players (though this has not been admitted to by Sloan as far as I know), and I think we all know, in school especially, if somebody wanted to talk down to somebody or emasculate them, dropping the "other" F-word was not at all uncommon. In fact, in our own youths, and I know I regretfully have, we have likely used that word without any knowledge of its real meaning and hurtful potential.

I just wanted to say that I think this is a brave stand, that the NBA made the right move with the Kobe fining, and that news in the NHL, which has seen one player support gay marriage and a commentator fired for speaking against gay marraige, that hopefully pro-sports will finally get on board with equality for gay and lesbian athletes.

Thoughts?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-15-2011, 07:19 PM
This thread was already made.

Chacarron
05-15-2011, 07:20 PM
and closed.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I see that now. And I see why it was closed, considering the numbers off rediculous comments.

rabzouz 96
05-15-2011, 07:23 PM
how gay

ManRam
05-15-2011, 07:26 PM
I wish a thread like this could stay open...because there is more to it than just coming out. The stigma that exists inside the world of sports makes anyone inside of it in a lot tougher of a predicament.

But the maturity level of the users on the forum don't permit a thread like this, unfortunately. No reason to have a thread about someone's personal life when it's just gonna lead to nothing good.