PDA

View Full Version : Will Grizzlies be Title contender next yr with Gay??

Jewelz0376
05-15-2011, 06:42 PM
The grizzlies were 1 game away from making the conf finals with their 2nd/3rd best player injured...We saw they had to move Mayo into the starting lineup too add more shooting and give Zbo more room to work...But with gay back he will add that while keeping Mayo as their scoring off the bench...

I know some would think they played better, because they didn't have Gay...but if you really break it down this team started to play well be4 Gay was injured...once they went with Allen and Gay starting on the wings...

So could this team be contender in the west and contend for a title?

btw:i'm assuming that Marc will be resigned

LTBaByyy
05-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Hmmmm good question

llemon
05-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Gotta figure they are going to try to trade Gay for capspace, a kid and a draft pick or two so they can re-sign Gasol.

I believe Gasol is more important to this team than Rudy.

Of course, I could be totally off base.

Sadds The Gr8
05-15-2011, 06:49 PM
no i think Gay makes them worse. Less touches inside and more jump shots taken. think about it....when he plays he's gettin 20 shots per game in the playoffs.

ccugrad1
05-15-2011, 06:55 PM
The Grizzlies are a nice feel good story this year, but I want to see them do it over a long period of time before I call them title contenders. You figure this is a team that before this season, has 11 seasons where they won 28 games or less and had never gotten past the first round in their existence.

I don't think it is out of the realm of impossible that Memphis could miss the playoffs entirely next season if things don't go completely right.

PennyMy#1
05-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Depends on if Gasol stays and they don't make major negative changes. And if Gay will be a team-player or blast that on-court chemistry that brought them that far.

MagicBucsSox
05-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Grizz need spot up shooters, come talk to Orlando real talk

DeyAce
05-15-2011, 07:05 PM
not title contenders maybe western conference finals.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2011, 07:08 PM
IF there is a season next year, Memphis will have to make moves to stay relevent. Even though they beat the Spurs, the Spurs were still a better regular season team, and they will have to be able to be a good regular season team.

Hopefully with a first round draft pick and the MLE, they will be able to add what they need to perform well in the regular season (which they did do this year, but lets face it, in the West, the record they had might not be good enough to make the playoffs next year). They need to aim for 50+, not just the mid 40's. That record will cut it in the east, but not in the west.

That said, I think this season's playoff performance has given them confidence, and helped to build team and chemistry, and those are all VERY important to improving. A first rounder, an MLE signing, and perhaps a vet-minimum might give them a little more youth, experience and depth to push into the next level.

However, if they rest on this years success and simply keep the team as is, they may find that they could go one game from the conference finals, to keeping their fingers crossed whilst ping-pong balls are bouncing around.

dnewguy
05-15-2011, 07:09 PM
NO.......they're actually worse off with Rudy.

Lindystud36
05-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes they will be
I feel Marc will Be resigned
Gay will either be kept on board, or traded for more of a point forward type of player.
I would not be supprised to see a three team trade involving Andre Igouldala to the Griz with gay moving to the third team and picks and players to the 76er's. I only say this because Iggy is more of a pass first player, with with the bigs down low, conely at the point, his game fits into their system better than Gay. A team like the Kings would be perfect because they could absorb Gay's contract and move their lottery pick along with Caspi to the 6er's.
***No where is this trade senario being discussed, just to show that the griz can obtain a player if wanted***

Also it has been said that OJ mayo will be traded, but I am beginning to see the potential that Pat Riley saw in him when he wanted to take mayo over beasley back during the draft.

This team is young and talented, Randolp is a top 5 power forward, and with the bench of vazquez, henry, haddai, and Arthur, they are poised for a competitive season

Lindystud36
05-15-2011, 07:11 PM
The griz do not have a first rounder this season, that was traded to minnesota.

Ezio
05-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Gay for Iggy :confused:

Edit (that sounds hilarious.)

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-15-2011, 07:15 PM
No. I think the Ewing theory comes into affect here.

Lindystud36
05-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Gay for Iggy :confused:

Edit (that sounds hilarious.)

Iggy Makes Less Money, Shorter Contract, and is a pass first Assist Type of Player ... Frees up even more money to resign Marc and keep Mayo

MrfadeawayJB
05-15-2011, 07:20 PM
I dont want to trade Rudy until at least the allstar break next season. we can and will sign marc this summer. I think Rudy can come in and play well for us and make us even more dangerous. If that is not the case we can get terrific value in return for him. Iguodala is not very high on my list, because i think rudy is a top 5 sf right now in the league.

shrek
05-15-2011, 07:22 PM
nope. maybe conference final at best.

Carey
05-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Absolutely, and dont forget Xavier Henry who will be a good rotation player. I've already seen Rudy make adjustments in his game to defer to their advantage inside and i think following this team being on the bench for this run will further enhance that.

Crackadalic
05-15-2011, 07:28 PM
People act like Gay is some selfish player and doesnt pass the ball. You can't win in this league without star players. Look what KD and Westbrook did

llemon
05-15-2011, 07:30 PM
People act like Gay is some selfish player and doesnt pass the ball. You can't win in this league without star players. Look what KD and Westbrook did

Gay is neither Durant nor Westbrook.

Muttman73
05-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Who knows, but a good season for sure...

Crackadalic
05-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Gay is neither Durant nor Westbrook.

Your missing the point. He should have been a allstar this year after putting up what he did before the injury. Every team needs that guy on their team. Gay is capable of being that guy

John Walls Era
05-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Only if they keep Gasol.

llemon
05-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Your missing the point. He should have been a allstar this year after putting up what he did before the injury. Every team needs that guy on their team. Gay is capable of being that guy

No, I don't believe I am missing the point.

Gay is a very good offensive player, but Gasol is much more important to Grizz than Rudy, especially as they still have Mayo.

Now, if Gay was at the Durant or Westbrook level, it would probably be a different story.

mttwlsn16
05-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Gotta figure they are going to try to trade Gay for capspace, a kid and a draft pick or two so they can re-sign Gasol.

this is exactly what i was thinking.

Lindystud36
05-15-2011, 08:49 PM
I dont want to trade Rudy until at least the allstar break next season. we can and will sign marc this summer. I think Rudy can come in and play well for us and make us even more dangerous. If that is not the case we can get terrific value in return for him. Iguodala is not very high on my list, because i think rudy is a top 5 sf right now in the league.

I agree about your statement about igouldala, but my reasoning is this, less money, less years, and more of a point forward than a shooting forward. Also Iggy on team USA was a great passer.

I have been high on Marc for years now, and Memphis will have to sign him esp with no first round pick this year

Mr. NBA
05-15-2011, 09:20 PM
this team has literally shocked the hell out of me.

officially gone are the days of "Big Country" Bryant Reeves.

And hello to the days of "Big European" Marc Gasol.

mzgrizz
05-15-2011, 09:59 PM
this team has literally shocked the hell out of me.

officially gone are the days of "Big Country" Bryant Reeves.

And hello to the days of "Big European" Marc Gasol.

Yeah the Grizzlies have made the "three year plan" by Heisley PLUS!!!

Bishnoff
05-15-2011, 10:42 PM

This.

Savage Sunday
05-15-2011, 10:50 PM
If only they never screwed up by drafting Thabeet at #2.

Can you imagine Tyreke Evans as their 6th Man? WOW.

I dont even think they will contend for a WCF thats because I will never be sold on Zach Randolph. He had a contract year and did everything he had been expected to do for the last 5 years, but a tiger never changes its stripes. Wouldnt surprise me to see Z-Bo return to his same behavior which hurts a team despite the 20/10 production he brings.

MrfadeawayJB
05-15-2011, 11:01 PM

Can you imagine Tyreke Evans as their 6th Man? WOW.

I dont even think they will contend for a WCF thats because I will never be sold on Zach Randolph. He had a contract year and did everything he had been expected to do for the last 5 years, but a tiger never changes its stripes. Wouldnt surprise me to see Z-Bo return to his same behavior which hurts a team despite the 20/10 production he brings.

Please don't bring that up. It is still a sour topic among grizz fans.:bang::no:

Hellcrooner
05-16-2011, 03:26 AM
No.

They will be out in first round or maybe even not make playoffs.

UNLESS they are able to get a good deal for Gay.

IF they could get IGOUDALA for gay AND resign mark then yep they coudl repeat or do better next year.

thekmp211
05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
if they trade gay, they have to keep mayo. if they trade mayo, they have to keep gay.

preferably, they find a way to coexist and give each other shots. the grizz need more than one outside shooter. i like the iggy idea, but only if they pick up a dead-eye shooter as well. that was their weakness this post-season.

thekmp211
05-16-2011, 01:42 PM
double post

PhillyFaninLA
05-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't think they are if teams are healthy.

If the Lakers get there act together and hire a good coach they will be there for the next 1 - 3 years if they get Dwight they will be contenders longer.

OKC with a good showing against Dallas and/or in the finals will become the class of the West.

Dallas should have 1 or 2 years left with there current roster.

I won't count out the Spurs completely either.

The Clippers and Warriors may not be to far away from being threats. I think Memphis is a really nice team that was playing there best ball at the right time and I don't know who the real Zach Randolph is at this point either.

johnwayne
05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=B'sCeltsPatsSox;17901790]No. I think the Ewing theory comes into affect here.[/QUOTE

Effect.........I'm sorry, I don't know why I do that.

YoungOne
05-16-2011, 01:59 PM
they played well with him this season, so I think they will get better with him.
Grizzlies need a go-to guy on the perimeter. But I dont know about contender yet.

CeeDub15
05-16-2011, 03:05 PM
no i think Gay makes them worse. Less touches inside and more jump shots taken. think about it....when he plays he's gettin 20 shots per game in the playoffs.

this exactly. I think there better off without him.

Chronz
05-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Except that the Grizz NEED someone to make perimeter shots, better to have Gay than Mayo

BUCSFORLIFE123
05-16-2011, 03:28 PM
look at grizzlies' record before and after gay's injury. melo with the nuggets is the same as gay with the grizz this season. grizz are far off better with z-bo as their go to and good chemistry between the guards and fowards. Gay would interrupt that

thekmp211
05-16-2011, 03:40 PM
look at grizzlies' record before and after gay's injury. melo with the nuggets is the same as gay with the grizz this season. grizz are far off better with z-bo as their go to and good chemistry between the guards and fowards. Gay would interrupt that

completely different. the team hit its stride with gay in the lineup. he was a different player this year. those guys became a real team.

mayo is the most likely to go.

Chronz
05-16-2011, 03:42 PM

That span of ball can tell you a great many things, because it coincided with the return of Battier, the benching of Mayo, and the insertion of Allen/whathisface and who knows what else with regards to the scheduling. It doesnt eliminate Gay from being an asset that can help the team.

Car Ramrod
05-16-2011, 03:55 PM
It would be good to see Gasol return but I have a feeling someone is going to really overpay him in the offseason. I could see the Raptors, Rockets and Suns really going after him. They will have cap space regardless of the CBA and all are desparate for an inside guy.

If they can keep him and Randolph can keep out of the Thug-life mentality they will have a really good team. Don't under estimate the pick up of Battier either.

Reddi Red
05-16-2011, 04:48 PM

spot on! :clap:

Plus, it takes Gay too many shots to get what ZBo averaged in the last month or so.
You guys may think this is crazy, AND I don't know if this would work, but if they could get Stephen Jackson and a filler for Gay, I think everyone would benenfit.

Some nonbasketball players on here would focus (way) tooooo much on SJack + ZBo's personalities. On the court, you would have a heckuva squad because SJack can mos def spread the floor, as well as create match up problems.

Jewelz0376
05-16-2011, 04:56 PM
spot on! :clap:

Plus, it takes Gay too many shots to get what ZBo averaged in the last month or so.
You guys may think this is crazy, AND I don't know if this would work, but if they could get Stephen Jackson and a filler for Gay, I think everyone would benenfit.

Some nonbasketball players on here would focus (way) tooooo much on SJack + ZBo's personalities. On the court, you would have a heckuva squad because SJack can mos def spread the floor, as well as create match up problems.

How is Captain Jack any less of a chucker than Gay?? Except he's not as good as Gay

thekmp211
05-16-2011, 05:02 PM
How is Captain Jack any less of a chucker than Gay?? Except he's not as good as Gay

he's also like 8 years older and a known head case.

i don't know why it's so hard to understand how much chemistry this grizz team has. why would you bring in an older, worse, unknown with a history of attitude problems after all of this? crazy talk.

they just signed gay to a max contract. mayo is probably gone. all the grizz need to focus on is improving their outside shooting and developing internally. they have a very bright future.

hugepatsfan
05-16-2011, 05:07 PM
I'd bring Gay back if I were Memphis.

Punk
05-16-2011, 07:24 PM

Most ridiculous thing ever. You actually think Hollins wouldn't play inside outside? For god sakes, Gay would have made them a legit title contender.

Gasol and Randolph dominate in the post and Gay scores from the perimeter. How would he make them worse?

The Grizzlies found a new way to play and I'm pretty sure they will stick to it.

I swear PSD gets worse everyday. Gay hits game winners = chucking shots. You would think the obvious sign of lack of scoring from the perimeter would be enough to show you all that Gay is the most important piece when it comes down to it.

The_Jamal
05-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Can you imagine Tyreke Evans as their 6th Man? WOW.I dont even think they will contend for a WCF thats because I will never be sold on Zach Randolph. He had a contract year and did everything he had been expected to do for the last 5 years, but a tiger never changes its stripes. Wouldnt surprise me to see Z-Bo return to his same behavior which hurts a team despite the 20/10 production he brings.

eh?

But the grizz at least need to try with Gay and see if it works before trading him

MrfadeawayJB
05-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Most ridiculous thing ever. You actually think Hollins wouldn't play inside outside? For god sakes, Gay would have made them a legit title contender.

Gasol and Randolph dominate in the post and Gay scores from the perimeter. How would he make them worse?

The Grizzlies found a new way to play and I'm pretty sure they will stick to it.

I swear PSD gets worse everyday. Gay hits game winners = chucking shots. You would think the obvious sign of lack of scoring from the perimeter would be enough to show you all that Gay is the most important piece when it comes down to it.

This 100%. The chemistry may suffer at first, but if it all works out he makes us legit.

I mean, I cant beleive what i'm hearing!! Captain Jack for Rudy??? WTF are you smokin???

buch88
05-16-2011, 08:42 PM
nope they wont

topdog
05-16-2011, 09:03 PM
I wondered myself whether or not they are better with or without Gay. Battier is a pretty good player and cranks up their defense along with Allen.

Sly Guy
05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
they'll be deeper, that's for sure. But considering all that I really know is of the grizz are their 2 rounds in the playoffs this year, and I'd like to see their roster against a lot of other matchups before I decide.