PDA

View Full Version : Russel Westbrook's Triple Double

assisi805
05-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Is this what Westbrook needs to show himself that being a star doesn't mean just scoring a ton of points?

I'm hoping that by seeing the good that comes from him being an all around complete player along with the praise he will receive for his great game tonight will hopefully open his eyes to the fact that he doesn't need to take 25 shots to be considered a star one this thunder team. What do you guys think this game will do for Westbrook going forward in the playoffs?

Westbrook Stats

PTS - 14
AST - 14
REB - 10
FGM-FGA - 4-12 (21 FGA in 11 playoff games prior)
FTM-FTA - 6-6
TO - 5

210Don
05-15-2011, 06:01 PM
great game by him

Cubs Win
05-15-2011, 06:04 PM
I was thinking about this earlier in the game. If he realizes that he can contribute in a big way by facilitating and letting Durant be the clear #1 option and go-to-guy, this team has a very bright future. If he goes back to 20+ FGA/game while chucking many unnecessary shots, they will still be good, but won't reach their potential. IMO, Durant is the best player (#1 option) on the Thunder, but Westbrook is the most important because his mindset sets the tone for the team and game.

marvILLous
05-15-2011, 06:05 PM
he'll be just fine. some games he might have to take 25 shots, some games he'll have to play a different role.. but he played the perfect game today. his teammates had it going and he kept feeding him.. he just has to find the right balance and take it game by game.

poleandreel
05-15-2011, 06:05 PM
He is not a point guard. He is a ball hog shooting guard who wants the spotlight and is stephon marbury. It is not durants fault at all that westbrook is forced to take those dumb shots. He is also a chucker who wants his own team and the thunder should trade him.....OH WAIT

HATERS GONNA HATE.
1st player since 1992 to get a triple double in game 7...but yea he is overrated. HAHAHAHA PSD YOU MAKE ME LAUGH

John Walls Era
05-15-2011, 06:06 PM
He is not a point guard. He is a ball hog shooting guard who wants the spotlight and is stephon marbury. It is not durants fault at all that westbrook is forced to take those dumb shots. He is also a chucker who wants his own team and the thunder should trade him.....OH WAIT

HATERS GONNA HATE.
1st player since 1992 to get a triple double in game 7...but yea he is overrated. HAHAHAHA PSD YOU MAKE ME LAUGH

Yes because a handful of fans make up PSD...

Westbrook = Beast!

Chill_Will_24
05-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Amazing performance. He needs to play like this more often

llemon
05-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Yes because a handful of fans make up PSD...

Westbrook = Beast!

Russell had a great game, to go along with a few subpar games in this series.

Try to keep perspective.

IndiansFan337
05-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Is this what Westbrook needs to show himself that being a star doesn't mean just scoring a ton of points?

I'm hoping that by seeing the good that comes from him being an all around complete player along with the praise he will receive for his great game tonight will hopefully open his eyes to the fact that he doesn't need to take 25 shots to be considered a star one this thunder team. What do you guys think this game will do for Westbrook going forward in the playoffs?

Westbrook Stats

PTS - 14
AST - 14
REB - 10
FGM-FGA - 4-12 (21 FGA in 11 playoff games prior)
FTM-FTA - 6-6
TO - 5
I expect him to take a ton of shots in the next series. I assume that Dallas will not have Kidd trying to cover him, but if they do he will likely shoot even more. If Terry/Barea are covering him most of the time, I expect him to be very active in looking for his own shot moreso than creating open looks for others.

Dallas has used Kidd to defend SG's often this season, but I don't think Stevenson would be a good matchup vs Westbrook at the start of games....So we will see what Carlisle decides to do with that matchup.

I don't think Brooks will go to this often, but I would love it if he had Durant defend Nowitzki down the stretch of close games. Durant doesn't have the strength necessary to keep Nowitzki out of the post, but he does possess the length to contain him....And as long as he has Ibaka as the weakside help defender, he should be able to limit Dirk's post shots.

Sadds The Gr8
05-15-2011, 06:14 PM
he should play like that every game instead of taking 45 shots

Crackadalic
05-15-2011, 06:16 PM
When he realize he is not batman he is gonna be a dangerous 2nd option. Probably as impactful as KD

poleandreel
05-15-2011, 06:19 PM
he should play like that every game instead of taking 45 shots

i guess you are so closed minded that you could not use your own brain to acknowledge that durant was cutting and moving today so westbrook fed him the ball.

When they tried to force it to durant (like tey have all series) there was 2 back court violations. Westbrook was forced to take more shots because durant was covered and westbrook is their second leading scorer. learn to think for yourself and not get your information from the media.

It is clear as day that westbrook and durant are good friends and do not care about the spot light.

MrfadeawayJB
05-15-2011, 06:19 PM
If he played within himself every night like this he will take over the spot for most triple doubles by a guard. I think Jason Kidd is first

poleandreel
05-15-2011, 06:33 PM
There have been 46 game 7's since the last time this has happened. Go westbrook!!!!!

Raph12
05-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Games where he has it going and Durant is struggling (ie: Game 5), I don't have an issue with it, it's only when he's shooting under 44% and still chucking that it bothers me...

Ollie Tabooger
05-15-2011, 06:46 PM
i guess you are so closed minded that you could not use your own brain to acknowledge that durant was cutting and moving today so westbrook fed him the ball.

When they tried to force it to durant (like tey have all series) there was 2 back court violations. Westbrook was forced to take more shots because durant was covered and westbrook is their second leading scorer. learn to think for yourself and not get your information from the media.

It is clear as day that westbrook and durant are good friends and do not care about the spot light.

If I were Durant, I would do the same thing. If Westbrook's not gonna pass him the ball, why should he make the effort to get open?

ManRam
05-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Russy is a great scorer and he should be shooting about 15, or even more, times a game. I think the criticism he's gotten is a bit excessive...especially since it basically became a national story.

However, we all know he is a PG and needs to run the offense. He especially needs to be passing to Durant, who is a player that needs to be set up to score a lot. Only one of his baskets today was unassisted...and that's how it should be. He's not as effective when isoing all the time. Durant is so, so, so much better when people are setting him up, and no one does it better than Russy.

Durant was, however, FAR more aggressive off the ball. He was moving a ton, and he wanted the ball a ton more too. Not just waiting outside the three point line for it, however. He was cutting to the hoop, and that's what he needs to do.

Great game from Russy, and glad he can shut up the "haters" for a little.

SEATTLEredsox
05-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I was thinking about this earlier in the game. If he realizes that he can contribute in a big way by facilitating and letting Durant be the clear #1 option and go-to-guy, this team has a very bright future. If he goes back to 20+ FGA/game while chucking many unnecessary shots, they will still be good, but won't reach their potential. IMO, Durant is the best player (#1 option) on the Thunder, but Westbrook is the most important because his mindset sets the tone for the team and game.

I couldn't have said it better. Durant is definitely the best player on the team, but Westbrook is more important imo... if he can just play under control, dish it to durant and harden often and limit his bad shots, this team is great offensively. At the same time, when he goes into chuck mode or holds the ball for 18 seconds just to pass it to Durant with no time left on the shot clock, the thunder struggle mightily. OKC lives and dies by westbrook's play.

apope26
05-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Get off his nuts... He a balla', he young and he'll continue to be the 2nd option. Tonight is not what u'll see on a daily basis but in order to be a consistant threat in the post season he'll need to avg 20 n 7 , while shootin around 17x per game.... Live and die off durant's play and they'll be fine. Although they won't be Dallas. Heat over Dallas in a repeat of Dirk's 06 seaz- u feel me (Orlando fan speakin)

Sadds The Gr8
05-15-2011, 06:59 PM

yea...i guess that gives Westbrook an excuse for holding the ball for 20 secs then chucking up a 3 with 2 secs left on the shot clock, and to shoot 40% for the series

apope26
05-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Games where he has it going and Durant is struggling (ie: Game 5), I don't have an issue with it, it's only when he's shooting under 44% and still chucking that it bothers me...

Maaaaan WTF? Lol if u shoot 40% in the 2 rd of playoffs u ballin....

llemon
05-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Maaaaan WTF? Lol if u shoot 40% in the 2 rd of playoffs u ballin....

You post funny. So I guess you are very young

apope26
05-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Players who shoot over 40%.... is hard to come by when they're stars. We all know that come playoff time

Kashmir13579
05-15-2011, 07:47 PM
yes i think he could take a page out of Rondo's book.

llemon
05-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Players who shoot over 40%.... is hard to come by when they're stars. We all know that come playoff time

Either you are delusional, or you were an Allen Iverson fan.

tjlipford
05-15-2011, 08:28 PM
I think Westbrook is a good all around player. He played a great game today. I dont it matters actually how many shots he shoots a game because it depends on the game. Of course u dont want him chucking up 30 shots or something like that, but some games he needs to shoot more. Of course as a point guard u want him to set the team up, but I think with time he will only get better. He is definitely not scared and thats a plus. Him and Durant will be fine and OKC has a bright future.

bedford1829
05-15-2011, 08:43 PM
I was one who questioned his ability to facilitate and play robin to durants batman.
He proved me wrong, but at the same time played exactly the style I said he needed to play if the hope to push even further into the post season.

Congrats on a big time performance.

Chronz
05-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Statistically this game wasnt very good

Raph12
05-16-2011, 02:22 AM

You have been watching too much of AI and DRose games, 40% is not a good percentage, ever.

tredigs
05-16-2011, 02:47 AM
Statistically this game wasnt very good

6 offensive rebounds, 5 turnovers but that still resulted in a nearly 3:1 asst/to ratio given the 14 assists. Light on points due to only 4 made shots, but he only missed 8 and was perfect from the line. Limited Conly to 7-19. +/- was highest of all the starters.

Looks very good to me, statistically and otherwise. Those offensive boards were huge.

hineswardfan
05-16-2011, 03:19 AM
Atta Boy!

Baller1
05-16-2011, 03:20 AM
6 offensive rebounds, 5 turnovers but that still resulted in a nearly 3:1 asst/to ratio given the 14 assists. Light on points due to only 4 made shots, but he only missed 8 and was perfect from the line. Limited Conly to 7-19. +/- was highest of all the starters.

Looks very good to me, statistically and otherwise. Those offensive boards were huge.

Savin' me some time as usual, thanks Digs.

Blackmoon1104
05-16-2011, 03:44 AM
I think a friend of mine put it pretty well, sometimes Westbrook just sees red and becomes stupid aggressive when he shouldn't. For the Thunder to be successful, he needs to play like he did this game. Durant for sure is their best option. Westbrook needs to realize he's not the player who can put the team on his back.

KnicksorBust
05-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Russy is a great scorer and he should be shooting about 15, or even more, times a game. I think the criticism he's gotten is a bit excessive...especially since it basically became a national story.

However, we all know he is a PG and needs to run the offense. He especially needs to be passing to Durant, who is a player that needs to be set up to score a lot. Only one of his baskets today was unassisted...and that's how it should be. He's not as effective when isoing all the time. Durant is so, so, so much better when people are setting him up, and no one does it better than Russy.

Durant was, however, FAR more aggressive off the ball. He was moving a ton, and he wanted the ball a ton more too. Not just waiting outside the three point line for it, however. He was cutting to the hoop, and that's what he needs to do.

Great game from Russy, and glad he can shut up the "haters" for a little.

I wonder if you picked that number at random or if you knew they are 4-0 when he shoots 15 or less shots this post-season. They are 1-4 when he shoots 20+ shots.

Honestly yesterday's game was the most I've been impressed with Russell Westbrook all season. He finally seemed to get it. This was the first playoff game he did not attempt a 3. He got to the line. He created for teammates (specifically the 1 teammate they needed to get going). Played very good defense on Conley. And he created numerous extra possessions with his aggressiveness on the glass. With each passing game I get more and more confident in the Thunder. The sky is the limit with this team.

Chronz
05-16-2011, 02:42 PM

Yea your right