PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook the scapegoat

poleandreel
05-14-2011, 06:51 PM
http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/05/10/the-real-reasons-why-kevin-durant-isnt-getting-the-ball-late/

It's a great article with VIDEO PROOF that it is not even close to being westbrook's fault.

People need to stop feeding off the media frenzy that Durant and Westbrook have some sort of riff and cannot coexist. They have been like this ALL YEAR.

poleandreel
05-14-2011, 07:21 PM
westbrook also changed his twitter picture to one of him and durant today. Obviously he loves being on this team and having durant as a teammate. A person who wanted the spot light would not put a picture of him and durant that says "westbrook and durant, the best duo since shaq and kobe" as his picture if he wanted his OWN team.

Mallpha
05-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Nice read still not sure if it actually made me change my mind, I still see Westbrook as more of a SG then PG that will always suffer on the offensive end under a coach like Brooks.

Probably would be easier for Westbrook if he actually had more of an offensive minded coach (maybe an assistant coach) and could just follow some blueprint, but before that i would like to see him start as SG next to Maynor.

NetsPaint
05-14-2011, 07:32 PM
He's without a doubt a SG in my eyes.

As I've said before, Durant is like a giant Ray Allen. He's not always gonna get the ball because of how heavy he's guarded and he doesn't slash much. You could blame Durant for that, but why would you?

Baller1
05-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Poleandreel... Thank you. As far as I'm concerned you're the only one who's aware that the "ball hogging" has a lot more to do with Durant's ability to get open and Brooks' lack of a brain in general.

poleandreel
05-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Poleandreel... Thank you. As far as I'm concerned you're the only one who's aware that the "ball hogging" has a lot more to do with Durant's ability to get open and Brooks' lack of a brain in general.

No problem. The ignorance of people on this site is killing me. They see box scores and listen to espn but do not see the real problem.

Mallpha
05-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Dont you think if Durant and Westbrook would be both trying to get open while Maynor would handle the ball it would actually mobilize Durant to be more assertive?
Now he seams to be waiting for something to happen loads of the time, but then again PG are responsible for organizing game in a way and Westbrook on his own aint great at that.

poleandreel
05-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Dont you think if Durant and Westbrook would be both trying to get open while Maynor would handle the ball it would actually mobilize Durant to be more assertive?
Now he seams to be waiting for something to happen loads of the time, but then again PG are responsible for organizing game in a way and Westbrook on his own aint great at that.

Russell Westbrook averaged a half assist per game more than derrick rose. If rose is considered a point guard, then so is westbrook. Rose shoots WAY more than russy and does not get any criticism.

IDC if durant is on the team. Rose has deng (a 20ppg scorer), boozer (a career 19/10 guy) and noah who can score a little. Russy has durant, sefalosha and perkins. He has to score as much as rose.

rwynyc
05-14-2011, 08:04 PM
westbrook also changed his twitter picture to one of him and durant today. Obviously he loves being on this team and having durant as a teammate. A person who wanted the spot light would not put a picture of him and durant that says "westbrook and durant, the best duo since shaq and kobe" as his picture if he wanted his OWN team.

A picture of the two of them on twitter supports your reasoning? lol really?:facepalm:

NYY 26 to 7
05-14-2011, 08:11 PM
No problem. The ignorance of people on this site is killing me. They see box scores and listen to espn but do not see the real problem.

I have watched all the games and regardless of what Durant is doing he takes awful shots and forces way too much. He does hurt the team at many points and as the pg at the end of games has one speed which is way too fast. He needs to control the tempo and control and run the team down the stretch or move to sg. He is trying to be AI and he isn't.

Wilson
05-14-2011, 08:21 PM
The point about Maynor is a really good one I think. Besides that though I think these guys are just two young players who are still figuring things out. I don't get why people are getting so wound up, these two players are in their second post season!

Bullsfan22
05-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Russell Westbrook averaged a half assist per game more than derrick rose. If rose is considered a point guard, then so is westbrook. Rose shoots WAY more than russy and does not get any criticism.

IDC if durant is on the team. Rose has deng (a 20ppg scorer), boozer (a career 19/10 guy) and noah who can score a little. Russy has durant, sefalosha and perkins. He has to score as much as rose.

No just no. Rose shoulders more of a load than westbrook and it's really not comparable factoring in that Boozer has been injured. You're pretty off in that assumption. Rose shoots more than Westbrook because he has to shoot more than Westbrook because the lack of playmakers on the team. I can't stress how off you are with the bolded.

The article was a good read and I agree Westbrook is a scapegoat. This is mostly on Brooks not being that creative in getting Durant open in my opinion. It's not about how much shots he has taken that's making people go crazy, it's more of when he's taking them and this kind of article clears it up.

ChitownSports16
05-14-2011, 08:49 PM
"LoL really? You show a few plays here and there and that's your argument? What about during that 9 min stretch where Durant was working in the post with clear position only to watch Westbrook tried to drive his guy 3 diff times? That happened a few times. Westbrook's ego is the only reason the Thunder aren't up 3-1 at this point, and it almost got them down 3-1 if he wouldn't have started hitting jumpers and ridiculous layup's late in the game, oh and getting saved by James Harden hitting a tough 3pter after Westbrook decided to dribble in circles for 20 seconds and throw a ridiculously stupid pass to a well defended Harden at the 3pt line. And what happened in that 3rd OT? Westbrook finally gave the ball to Durant, right there at the top of the key, and KD ended the game by making moves. KD doesn't need Westbrook to get him open looks, he can create for himself, which is why he is one of the game's premiere players especially offensively. Westbrook just needs to learn his role. On all 3 of your "Durant is standing still" clips, Westbrook drove the ball the other way (as he did all night, how predictable) and took the play away from KD. Westbrook is barely clipping 40% for the playoffs and is at like 25% from deep, KD is at like 46% and 42% from the same marks...yet Westbrook is shooting more than Durant on a per game basis, thats asinine. Better yet, compare their true shooting percentages for the playoffs...roughly 50% for Westbrook to KD's 60%...and you wonder why ppl are giving Russ hell? Cmon. It's a simple case of Robin trying to do too much w/o Batman, and if it weren't for Batman cleaning his **** up on a regular basis the Thunder would be either out of it already or buried in this series."

Agree with this guy 100%.

Sadds The Gr8
05-14-2011, 09:07 PM
wrong. it's all westbrooks fault.

gaughan333
05-14-2011, 09:08 PM

Wow...just wow.

iggypop123
05-14-2011, 10:50 PM
scot brooks is the white mike brown. just a bad coach. everyone knows westbrook is a scorer, and cant create in the 4th other than chucking. well, either take the ball of his hand or bench him and bring in cook. harden creates well from any pick and roll and that should be their offense in the 4th. harden pick and roll to free up durant or get guys open shots

ChiSox219
05-15-2011, 02:33 AM
I've been blaming Westbrook for a couple months now. A few isolated plays is not enough to change my mind after watching dozens of Thunder games.

Carey
05-15-2011, 10:39 AM
I challenge everyone in this thread to throw out any preconceived notions they have and watch the game today. Watch the sets being run, it will absolutely change your perspective on this topic. Its the reason why the most important acquisition we make this summer will be a new coach or an offensive minded assistant that can fix on of the worst half court offenses ive ever seen. Its really remarkable and speaks to the genius of Sam Presti that we are playing in a game 7 in the western conference semi's despite this.

tredigs
05-15-2011, 11:04 AM
I challenge everyone in this thread to throw out any preconceived notions they have and watch the game today. Watch the sets being run, it will absolutely change your perspective on this topic. Its the reason why the most important acquisition we make this summer will be a new coach or an offensive minded assistant that can fix on of the worst half court offenses ive ever seen. Its really remarkable and speaks to the genius of Sam Presti that we are playing in a game 7 in the western conference semi's despite this.

And it's actually devolved a bit lately. As early as late in the regular season they would run a lot more off the ball picks, back cuts and double picks in order to free up KD, but they've removed a ton of that from their "sets", if we can still call them that.

It's a very, very poorly run offense - and a ton of that has to be placed on Brooks - but their skill level and work ethic is so ridiculously high that they're able to compensate for it and continue to win.

I'd love to see them mix it up and run more plays through Ibaka and Harden that aren't ISO's. They have too much talent not to be more dynamic.

pd1dish
05-15-2011, 11:48 AM
[/B]

No just no. Rose shoulders more of a load than westbrook and it's really not comparable factoring in that Boozer has been injured. You're pretty off in that assumption. Rose shoots more than Westbrook because he has to shoot more than Westbrook because the lack of playmakers on the team. I can't stress how off you are with the bolded.

The article was a good read and I agree Westbrook is a scapegoat. This is mostly on Brooks not being that creative in getting Durant open in my opinion. It's not about how much shots he has taken that's making people go crazy, it's more of when he's taking them and this kind of article clears it up.

idk how you blame the coach for Durant not getting open. i dont care if hes a defensive minded coach that knows nothing about offense, it doesnt exactly take a high basketball IQ to figure out how to get a guy open who can pretty much make any shot on the floor. i agree that Westbrook is getting too much blame, but he needs to facilitate the ball and call plays.

how do you think Ray Allen gets open...? Boston runs double screens on the baseline and Allen just runs back and forth, in and around screens until he gets open, and it works because it completely throws the defense off because you have to constantly run switches. why dont they do that with Durant? its not exactly hard to figure out how to get a guy like Durant open. i think half of it is Westbrook looking to score, and the other half is Durant's laziness to try and shake the great defense that has been played on him.

twoearl
05-15-2011, 12:06 PM
lol. How quickly fans turn on a player. A few months ago everyone was picking the Thunder as champions now everybody wants to trade Westbrook for draft picks? lol
Some people need to stop just listening to what Charles Barkley says about a game and actually watch for themselves.

Let me remind a few of us about a few things.

1. He is 22 years old and putting up 24 and 6 in the playoffs. That is amazing. He is still learning the PG position.

2. KD is having a VERY, VERY tough time against shane battier and Tony Allen. But for some reason people give KD pass and want to blame russ. KD has the same number of championships that Russ has...0.

3. Zac and Gasol are Killing OKC down low. What happen to the Kendrick Perkins? Wasn't he supposed to be MR. Defense for this team? LOL

OKC fans need to calm down. They have a 22 year old budding star at PG. Just sit back and let him grow. Stop being so impatient. There are about 25 other teams that would love to have him...

Sixerlover
05-15-2011, 01:36 PM
As an unbiased party, I agree. And have been the entire time. There were numerous times in the clutch when Durant couldn't get open and Russ was forced to take the shot, thus making him look like a "ballhog"

Durant might be the only superstar to not be able to create separation. That's a problem.

akagiredsuns
05-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Wow! poleandreel you have shown zero evidence to back up your argument. except being a homer. westbrook is being more of a sg then a pg. a twitter pic with him & durant makes it even more laughable. the bottom line is RW seems to want to be the man on the team. he's a pg and he needs to create jump shots for his teammates. that you say rose has guys like deng noah and boozer, when noah and boozer at most played 25-30 games together. if thunder lose, westbrook will be a major goat. this is KD's team. if not for the 5 fouls in game 4 by triple overtime, he would continue to force shots and not let durant take over, like he did in that 3rd OT. got a lot to learn buddy. this thread has FAIl written all over it. :facepalm:

Baller1
05-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Wow! poleandreel you have shown zero evidence to back up your argument. except being a homer. westbrook is being more of a sg then a pg. a twitter pic with him & durant makes it even more laughable. the bottom line is RW seems to want to be the man on the team. he's a pg and he needs to create jump shots for his teammates. that you say rose has guys like deng noah and boozer, when noah and boozer at most played 25-30 games together. if thunder lose, westbrook will be a major goat. this is KD's team. if not for the 5 fouls in game 4 by triple overtime, he would continue to force shots and not let durant take over, like he did in that 3rd OT. got a lot to learn buddy. this thread has FAIl written all over it. :facepalm:

You have some learning to do, my friend. Watch today's game, and tell me how many legitimate offensive sets/plays are ran with Westbrook and Durant in the game.

Carey
05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
lol. How quickly fans turn on a player. A few months ago everyone was picking the Thunder as champions now everybody wants to trade Westbrook for draft picks? lol
Some people need to stop just listening to what Charles Barkley says about a game and actually watch for themselves.

Let me remind a few of us about a few things.

1. He is 22 years old and putting up 24 and 6 in the playoffs. That is amazing. He is still learning the PG position.

2. KD is having a VERY, VERY tough time against shane battier and Tony Allen. But for some reason people give KD pass and want to blame russ. KD has the same number of championships that Russ has...0.

3. Zac and Gasol are Killing OKC down low. What happen to the Kendrick Perkins? Wasn't he supposed to be MR. Defense for this team? LOL

OKC fans need to calm down. They have a 22 year old budding star at PG. Just sit back and let him grow. Stop being so impatient. There are about 25 other teams that would love to have him...

Newsflash...its not OKC fans complaining, its the casual fan that doesnt know the whole situation.

Carey
05-15-2011, 02:50 PM
And it's actually devolved a bit lately. As early as late in the regular season they would run a lot more off the ball picks, back cuts and double picks in order to free up KD, but they've removed a ton of that from their "sets", if we can still call them that.

It's a very, very poorly run offense - and a ton of that has to be placed on Brooks - but their skill level and work ethic is so ridiculously high that they're able to compensate for it and continue to win.

I'd love to see them mix it up and run more plays through Ibaka and Harden that aren't ISO's. They have too much talent not to be more dynamic.

Great assessment, those back cuts are almost non existent besides the 2 man action Harden and Collison run, which im sure they established on their own. I also agree about Harden and Ibaka, they've done nothing to further Ibaka's offensive progression as far as in game strategy. He actually has more substance to his game, he can put it on the floor just enough to get by a slower big, has soft touch, a developing arsenal of post moves but if he never gets to use any of those things in game action he'll never figure out what he can and can't do, how people will guard him, etc.

EaglePride615
05-15-2011, 02:58 PM
i cant wait for westbrook to shoot his team out of the game when it matters most. had they lost that triple OT game, it would have been westbrooks fault by far.

gaughan333
05-15-2011, 03:57 PM
They seem to be taking to the ball out of his hand more on offense and trying to get the ball to durant

apope26
05-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Westbrook is my fav pg and has been for 2yrs... I like tall athletic PGs. Buuut it's not that he's shootin too much- He forces way too many shots. I'm glad his jumper is comin along... TO's still too high to be forcin shots. Yes thunder need him to score but he can't shoot more than Durant... Any game!

drobe86
05-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Westbrook is a good player, but can kill his team. Not passing Durant the ball is a straight up sin... He's got to do better