PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce may come off the bench next season.

Purple&Gold24
05-14-2011, 02:39 PM
On the starting lineup changing:
"Maybe thereís a change of roles. Maybe Paul comes off the bench, cuts down on his minutes. Maybe we find a way to get Jeff more minutes. His role will expand if heís back here next year. Thereís no question about that ... "

"It wouldnít totally shock me if thereís a change in the starting lineup, but thatís just way too tough to tell."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2011/05/weei_ainge_refl.html
----------------------------
You guys think Paul should come off the bench next year? How would he feel about this? :eyebrow:

hugepatsfan
05-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I think it would make more sense to use Pierce at SG and Green at SF w/ Ray off the bench, assuming they're all back and the team insists on shaking the starting lineup up.

I prefer to just keep Green on the bench and give him 28-30 minutes. I want Pierce and KG cut back to 32 and 28 mpg, respectively, so there is plenty of PT.

ankit
05-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Danny Ainge reflects on the Perkins trade, Jeff Green's extension future and how one of the Big Three Might be trade.

On the future of the team:
"We need to make changes for sure. I donít think [the roster is good enough to compete for a title next year]. But having said that thatís my job is to evaluate the reasons why we didnít play the way weíre capable of playing ... We do have a team that next year come playoff time will be a year older and a team like Miami will be in their prime years."

On the Kendrick Perkins trade:
"I know that thereís people out there that want to blame the Perkins trade for our lack of success this year, Iím OK with that. Thereís a legitimate argument to be made. I donít really buy into the screens being set and Rondo being in a bit of a funk."

The starting lineup could see some significant changes next season. If Jeff Green returns, Ainge said the 24-year-old's role will certainly be enhanced. Ainge said he intends to extend Green a qualifying offer before the July 30 deadline. He threw out the hypothetical possibility of Paul Pierce coming off the bench, but said the veterans will be willing to play different roles.

On the starting lineup changing:
"Maybe thereís a change of roles. Maybe Paul comes off the bench, cuts down on his minutes. Maybe we find a way to get Jeff more minutes. His role will expand if heís back here next year. Thereís no question about that ... "
"It wouldnít totally shock me if thereís a change in the starting lineup, but thatís just way too tough to tell."

On the possibility of trading one of the Big Three:
"I would have to look into that if a good trade came about"

Link:
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2011/05/weei_ainge_refl.html

tbone2171
05-14-2011, 02:55 PM
----------------------------
You guys think Paul should come off the bench next year? How would he feel about this? :eyebrow:

Word of advice: If you quote somebody, identify who your quoting..

BALLER R
05-14-2011, 03:01 PM
if one of the big three is traded its not going to be pierce. so its between allen and garnett and i think allen gets the most return he has a few more years in him than kg does

Tuck&Rolle
05-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I think that's ******** and I doubt Boston will do that.

Hustlenomics
05-14-2011, 03:06 PM
it's already bad enough Ainge is GM, please don't make coaching decisions

Purple&Gold24
05-14-2011, 03:07 PM
There is thread on this already.

GeekInThePink
05-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Allen is the odd man out.

Purple&Gold24
05-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Word of advice: If you quote somebody, identify who your quoting..

Click on the link and read. Obviously it's ainge ill be sure to do that next time.

ankit
05-14-2011, 03:13 PM
There is thread on this already.

U posted this thread after me so just relaz big boi

Purple&Gold24
05-14-2011, 03:18 PM
U posted this thread after me so just relaz big boi

haha really? haha ok I guess 11:54 is before 11:39 :D

Gootie42
05-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Bulls will GLADLY take Allen off your hands. I wish they had gotten him last summer.

hugepatsfan
05-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Pierce won't be traded. Not w/ that deal. 3 more years at around 15 mil per... ugh.

Rapsjaysleafs
05-14-2011, 03:28 PM
most expensive bench player ever

i know there have been some close, but for 3years at 15M per.
Yikes

johnwayne
05-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Bulls will GLADLY take Allen off your hands. I wish they had gotten him last summer.

If the Bulls get Ray Ray and we stay healthy, I say we go for 70 W's

Bruno
05-14-2011, 03:51 PM
As most of us said months ago, the Perkins trade was a mistake for a team that was trying to win now. For a team that's planning for the future? We'll see.

thekmp211
05-14-2011, 04:15 PM
it's an interesting thought. pierce would provide instant offense off the bench, and could tear through second units like nobody's business. i think they want to fashion jeff green into a melo/bron stopper, which makes some sense. i guess if paul is okay with the notion...i'd give it a whirl. let's see what other moves they make.

as a side note, i will lose it if they trade ray allen. don't care if he has tons of value -- celts need his shooting as much as kg's defense, rondo's passing and pierces offense. and he was the most consistent of those guys this season.

shep33
05-14-2011, 04:35 PM
I like Jeff Green, but even right now Pierce is a better player IMO. Use Green like LA uses Odom, give him more minutes.

justinnum1
05-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Why?

WickedBadMan
05-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Chances Paul Pierce was informed of this possibility - 0%.

Kashmir13579
05-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Click on the link and read. Obviously it's ainge ill be sure to do that next time.

it wasn't obvious.

mustaine
05-14-2011, 05:05 PM
He's too good to come off the bench in my opinion. No need to panic Ainge, leave the coaching to Doc. Pierce is not likely to like this idea.

I really think think that with one or two tweaks that the Celtics will still be very strong...

bagwell368
05-14-2011, 05:26 PM
As most of us said months ago, the Perkins trade was a mistake for a team that was trying to win now. For a team that's planning for the future? We'll see.

How is the Perkins trade a bad deal this year?

Tell me in all seriousness that Perk and von Wafer as PP's back-up was going to be appreciably better then Krstic and Green?

Then if you can manage that (on paper, and on the court both Green and Krstic played much better in Boston then Perk did in Boston and OKC - fact).

Then if you've gotten this far tell me how bum kneed (no lateral movement and no shot blocking version of Perk) saves the Celts from:

Davis sucking since 1/22
Shaq playing less then 20 minutes since the deal
Rondo getting hurt against the Heat
KG being dominant about 2 out of 5 games total against the Heat.
PP not leading the way at the end of the last two games.

Of course its ridiculous, Perk makes no difference whatever to the outcome, meanwhile we have a restricted FA - Green and a #1 draft pick. OKC got a broken down "spark plug" guard that played 4 games for OKC and Perk having his worst years since before KG showed up.

The only problem here is that people that made up their minds a long time ago don't want to revisit the current reality to see how much has changed.

Also Bob Ryan said the Celts knowing about Perks knees and his results this year HAD to trade him.

bagwell368
05-14-2011, 05:30 PM
He's too good to come off the bench in my opinion. No need to panic Ainge, leave the coaching to Doc. Pierce is not likely to like this idea.

I really think think that with one or two tweaks that the Celtics will still be very strong...

Too bad you guys couldn't have heard the interview. He never said that's what they should do, just that it was possible since they want Green to get more minutes.

GO look at the history of the NBA there are dozens of cases of older/better players coming off the bench and playing more or less minutes then the starter.

SAS has been doing that, Maxwell started in front of McHale even though McHale played more and was on the floor to finish.

Sadds The Gr8
05-14-2011, 05:37 PM
I think it would make more sense to use Pierce at SG and Green at SF w/ Ray off the bench, assuming they're all back and the team insists on shaking the starting lineup up.

I prefer to just keep Green on the bench and give him 28-30 minutes. I want Pierce and KG cut back to 32 and 28 mpg, respectively, so there is plenty of PT.

i thought about that too, but i dunno if he's quick enough to keep up with SG's now

gaughan333
05-14-2011, 05:55 PM
I could really see something like this pissing pierce off. He has been loyal to that team and stuck with them through the good and bad. I could see him asking to be traded if they try to relegate him to a bench roll and I wouldn't blame him.

Bravo95
05-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Green is one of those "tweeners" who shouldn't be a starter.

NYKalltheway
05-14-2011, 06:13 PM
How much difference does it make? :shrug:

balla4life22
05-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I could really see something like this pissing pierce off. He has been loyal to that team and stuck with them through the good and bad. I could see him asking to be traded if they try to relegate him to a bench roll and I wouldn't blame him.

disagree. Pierce is one of the most unselfish players in the league and all he wants to do right now is win a championship, as long as it makes sense for him and the team. He wants to retire a celtic and i don't think he'd ask for a trade because of that. I still think he still ends up starting though.

shrek
05-14-2011, 06:30 PM
how much does he get paid per season

mustaine
05-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Too bad you guys couldn't have heard the interview. He never said that's what they should do, just that it was possible since they want Green to get more minutes.

GO look at the history of the NBA there are dozens of cases of older/better players coming off the bench and playing more or less minutes then the starter.

SAS has been doing that, Maxwell started in front of McHale even though McHale played more and was on the floor to finish.

That's all well and good but there is always the ego that plays a part. I don't think Pierce would be happy coming off the bench, I could be wrong though. Some guys are happy to come off the bench when they get older but others don't want to, just a question of the personality.

topdog
05-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Which is why I don't think this is a horrible idea. The team as constituted is not good enough. So maybe they start to infuse their youth a little more and start building for the future. That youth could help both now and later.

blams
05-14-2011, 06:59 PM
:laugh:

Paul Pierce's minutes may go down a bit, but he's not going to be a ****ing bench player :laugh2:

Purple&Gold24
05-14-2011, 07:10 PM
it wasn't obvious.

lol ok :laugh:

MelkyNYY
05-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Pierce isn't anywhere near as good as the other top SG in the league. Defensively, it just isn't fair. He's lost a few steps. He is incredibly streaky though, and I think off the bench his game would play better.

Tuck&Rolle
05-14-2011, 07:29 PM
i thought about that too, but i dunno if he's quick enough to keep up with SG's now

:laugh: Your sig is ****ing hilarious

Redbull
05-14-2011, 07:30 PM
They should just keep Green on the bench but give him more PT.

LTBaByyy
05-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Green is a star in the making to me!!!!

He is good whem he gets minutes!!! He just had to share the ball with Durant and Westbrook and STILL got his!!

If he played with Rondo he would be an All Star in a couple years

Instead of playing with Delonte West who is a scorer

Dash
05-14-2011, 07:47 PM
That is stupid.

buch88
05-14-2011, 07:49 PM
doc just wants to cut down on pierce's minutes for the playoffs so he's fresher. and it would also be effective to get jeff green more involved.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-14-2011, 08:25 PM
None of the big three is getting trade this offseason.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Highly doubt this happens by the start of next season.

iggypop123
05-14-2011, 10:52 PM
ainge opening his mouth when he shouldnt have. i dont think doc agrees to this.

jrm2054
05-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Paul will start

Mishmin
05-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah I think Ainge was just pointing the fact that something's going to change this offseason. With Baby leaving, Green's already going to get a lot more minutes. That's what it's all about, Jeff Green has got to get much more aggressive and they're just trying to figure out how that can happen.

championships
05-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Why would you sit Pierce for Green?

Even an old Pierce can outplay and produce more than a younger Jeff green.

LA_Raiders
05-15-2011, 02:29 AM
Celts are old and clown pierce is slow, I think green will start and the clown is gone...

Lim
05-15-2011, 06:23 AM
kinda off topic but can someone explain to me how PP is so good? hes like the slowest most non athletic player in the league but he seems to get it done. his basketball IQ must be thru the roof

jimbobjarree
05-15-2011, 06:29 AM
I thought they traded Perkins cus he wanted too much money, and now they're going all out to re-sign jeff green for probably way too much money?

lakerfan3118
05-15-2011, 06:36 AM
if one of the big three is traded its not going to be pierce. so its between allen and garnett and i think allen gets the most return he has a few more years in him than kg does

The Celitcs are, and quite frankly should keep these players precisely because they are expiring contracts so they can make a significant offer to an elite player in summer '12. By letting Garnett and Allen go or convincing them to sign significantly smaller deals next offseason, the Celtics become contenders to find a player that complements Rondo, and by the looks of it, Green in a year with a deep FA class. I think this would make Boston fans happy as well, as it gives the team one last fully committed year to ''The Big Three'', which wasn't all far removed from competing this year.

ne3xchamps
05-15-2011, 09:01 AM
why isn't this closed? there is an identical thread in the celtics forum, which is where one like this belongs.

ne3xchamps
05-15-2011, 09:04 AM

if the c's trade allen, it won't be to the bulls, that just wouldn't be smart. sorry to crush your dreams.;)

Sportfan
05-15-2011, 09:05 AM
How is Kendrick Perkins supposed to score points or stop Wade/Lebron?

Tony Allen is the guy they miss

Mishmin
05-15-2011, 10:53 AM
^Yep. Allen's defense could have been used. Or even Marquis Daniels. People seem to forget how huge he was off the bench this season before that sad injury.

hugepatsfan
05-15-2011, 11:13 AM
People keep pointing to the Perk trade and it makes no sense. Sure, he would have helped clog the paint on defense. But any progress in that area would have ben offset by the 10-15 minutes per game where Von Wafer was defending Wade/Lebron.

After the Daniels injury, Danny DESPERATELY NEEDED to trade for a backup wing player. It wasn't a luxury, it was a need. Perk was the ONLY player he could move. Shaq wasn't worth anything in a trade. JO had the salary, but deadline time it looked like he wouldn't play again this year so no one was going to take on the 2 years of his deal. Delonte and Von Wafer make the minimum, so they weren't going to get anyone in a trade salary wise.

His only other option besides dealing Perk was to package Erden, Harangody, and Avery Bradley (3 young players in a trade). But those 3 make about 3 mil combined or so. Salary wise, a trade wasn't going to work.

Perk and Nate were the only pieces on the team that could be moved in a deal like this. Danny HAD to make the move. If he didn't, we'd be talking about how the 10-15 minutes of butt raping per game Wade/Lebron did to Wafer cost them the series.

ne3xchamps
05-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Popovich of the spurs did it with, I believe it was manu, not sure though. But this would be an excellent idea, less wear on the tires, and could preserve him better for the post season. Green needs to see more minutes. He should have gotten more than Big fat *** baby in the playoffs.

ne3xchamps
05-15-2011, 11:37 AM

this.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-15-2011, 11:38 AM

X2. Tony played great defense for us last year in the playoffs. His loss was huge to this team.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-15-2011, 11:41 AM
People keep pointing to the Perk trade and it makes no sense. Sure, he would have helped clog the paint on defense. But any progress in that area would have ben offset by the 10-15 minutes per game where Von Wafer was defending Wade/Lebron.

After the Daniels injury, Danny DESPERATELY NEEDED to trade for a backup wing player. It wasn't a luxury, it was a need. Perk was the ONLY player he could move. Shaq wasn't worth anything in a trade. JO had the salary, but deadline time it looked like he wouldn't play again this year so no one was going to take on the 2 years of his deal. Delonte and Von Wafer make the minimum, so they weren't going to get anyone in a trade salary wise.

His only other option besides dealing Perk was to package Erden, Harangody, and Avery Bradley (3 young players in a trade). But those 3 make about 3 mil combined or so. Salary wise, a trade wasn't going to work.

Perk and Nate were the only pieces on the team that could be moved in a deal like this. Danny HAD to make the move. If he didn't, we'd be talking about how the 10-15 minutes of butt raping per game Wade/Lebron did to Wafer cost them the series.

This and the fact that Pierce probably would've been exhausted by the beginning of the playoffs if Green wasn't on this team.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-15-2011, 11:48 AM
why isn't this closed? there is an identical thread in the celtics forum, which is where one like this belongs.

There is also an identical thread already in this same forum.

pd1dish
05-15-2011, 11:54 AM
it's an interesting thought. pierce would provide instant offense off the bench, and could tear through second units like nobody's business. i think they want to fashion jeff green into a melo/bron stopper, which makes some sense. i guess if paul is okay with the notion...i'd give it a whirl. let's see what other moves they make.

as a side note, i will lose it if they trade ray allen. don't care if he has tons of value -- celts need his shooting as much as kg's defense, rondo's passing and pierces offense. and he was the most consistent of those guys this season.

it would keep his legs fresh too. old men get tired out there quick

The Final Boss
05-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Who's Paul Pierce and Rob Ryan?

joeboow90
05-15-2011, 12:09 PM
kinda off topic but can someone explain to me how PP is so good? hes like the slowest most non athletic player in the league but he seems to get it done. his basketball IQ must be thru the roof

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

you must not watch basketball..."slow and non-athletic" have you even watched him play?

RedRicanoBx
05-15-2011, 12:17 PM
idc who is reporting no way is the team captain getting benched think about this for a second... its his team

Lim
05-17-2011, 01:51 AM
idc who is reporting no way is the team captain getting benched think about this for a second... its his team

u make it sound so awful, someone who is benched is someone who only sees the court in garbage time, if PP came off the bench it would be a jamal crawford/ lamar odom situation, aka 31 min off the bench. thats hardly "getting benched"

dodie53
05-17-2011, 10:07 AM
PP wants to win the 6th man award?

RCarlson85
05-17-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't believe this for a second. There's no way he will happily accept coming off the bench. He is too proud for that, just like most sports players would be. It's not like he's 40 either, I'm sure he still feels like he can contribute as a starter.

Mishmin
05-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Close this thread. We've said all there is to say about this.