PDA

View Full Version : Man asked to have his sentence extended from 30 years to 33

Purple&Gold24
05-14-2011, 02:26 PM
HOLDENVILE, Okla. — Just about everyone thinks Eric Torpy is a birdbrain.

In October 2005, Torpy asked an Oklahoma County judge to tack on three more years to his 30-year prison sentence for armed robbery and two counts of shooting with intent to kill.

“He said if he was going down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird’s jersey,’’ Oklahoma District Judge Ray Elliott told the Associated Press back then. “He was just as happy as he could be.’’

But after sharing a 10-foot-by-15-foot cell at the Davis Correctional Facility for the last six years, Torpy regrets asking for the extra time.

“Now that I have to do that time, yes I do,’’ says Torpy. “I kind of wished that I had 30 instead of 33. Recently I’ve wisened up.

“That three is a big deal, you know? Three years matters.’’

Torpy will turn 33 this year and is not eligible for parole until 2033.

The 33 imagery doesn’t end there. Put his arms together and the tattoos on his elbows read “33.’’ He also has a small green shamrock tattooed near his eye.

“I’ll always represent Larry Bird,’’ he says. “He’ll always be on me.’’

Why Bird?

“Larry Bird is a legend,’’ he says. “To me, he supersedes all basketball legends.’’

Torpy says he was “basically clowning around’’ when he asked for more time.

“I told them, ‘Look, you might as well just give me three more and give me a number I like,’ ’’ he said. “And I’ve always liked Larry Bird. And I’ve always liked the Boston Celtics.’’

Because of all the publicity his case has generated, he thinks Bird knows about him.

“I’m pretty sure he thinks I’m an idiot,’’ says Torpy. “I mean, truthfully, most people do. My own family does, so I’m pretty sure he does, too.’’

Bird, who declined comment for this story, was a legendary NBA trash-talker known for playing mind games. Torpy denies taking a page from Bird’s playbook at his sentencing.

“I wasn’t really playing mind games with them as much as I was just trying to make it out to what I wanted it to be instead of what they wanted it to be,’’ he said.

Torpy said the district attorney and judge should never have lengthened his plea bargain agreement.

“In my mind, they became unprofessional,’’ he says. “Why feed into my game? I’m a criminal.’’

But at least he’s a famous criminal, he says. In his cell is a scrapbook that contains a photo of Bird and news clippings about himself, including one from Playboy magazine (prison authorities didn’t let him keep the photos). He says he was on ESPN, and that Jay Leno made fun of him.

“I know that I went down in glory and fame, but truthfully, I didn’t know that all of that was going to happen,’’ Torpy says. “It wasn’t intended. It just all came about.’’

http://articles.boston.com/2011-05-13/sports/29540744_1_prison-authorities-inmates-tattoos
------------------------------
Wow this is a true LB fan, but stupid if you ask me.
Not sure if this was posted already, if so please close :D

Tuck&Rolle
05-14-2011, 02:49 PM
lmao o well

Mallpha
05-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Thats weird, kinda dumb but when you think about it theres some twisted logic in it. Serving 10% extra for witch he actually became cognoscible. Don't really think it was worth it but whatever floats his boat.

Maybe he can get something out of it if not he shouldn't complain about it after all he got what he asked for.

Savage Sunday
05-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Well he might end up doing 24 getting out on an early release. Will he be a Kobe fan?

Purple&Gold24
05-14-2011, 04:16 PM
He's definately a homer.

Raph12
05-14-2011, 04:21 PM
What an idiot...

Ovratd1up
05-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Torpy was asked if he regrets asking for the extra time.

“Now that I have to do that time, yes I do,’’ says Torpy. “I kind of wished that I had 30 instead of 33. Recently I’ve wisened up.

This made me laugh hysterically.

PAOboston
05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
he should have been a robert parish fan. he would have liked that number...

tredigs
05-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Thats weird, kinda dumb but when you think about it theres some twisted logic in it. Serving 10% extra for witch he actually became unanimous. Don't really think it was worth it but whatever floats his boat.

Maybe he can get something out of it if not he shouldn't complain about it after all he got what he asked for.

Infamous?

As for the guy, whatever. At least he acknowledges his stupidity and seems pretty self aware of how foolish it was. And I do agree with him that the judge shouldn't have actually pandered to his tongue-in-cheek request. That's three more years that tax payers have to pay for his ***.

Mallpha
05-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Infamous?

As for the guy, whatever. At least he acknowledges his stupidity and seems pretty self aware of how foolish it was. And I do agree with him that the judge shouldn't have actually pandered to his tongue-in-cheek request. That's three more years that tax payers have to pay for his ***.

Ah yes thank you happens to me a lot i apply grammar rules from other languages in English in stupid way (too direct) i apologize. I believe cognoscible is the proper word.

Your right judge should be the voice of reason in a situation like this but even a judge sometimes shows his weak side pretty sure he heard loads of dumb thing during his career and that actually did send a clear message - mind what you wish for when speaking in court.

NetsPaint
05-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Sad thing about this is they said his intent was to kill and he can still get out of jail. The end doesn't justify the means. What an idiot.

THE MTL
05-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Oh WELL! U get what u asked for.

shrek
05-14-2011, 06:28 PM
what a dumb ***

SA5195
05-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Like other people said...oh well. lol

Evolution23
05-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I think he deserves a :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

jkiddvc20
05-14-2011, 08:11 PM
What a ****ing blooming idiot

pd1dish
05-14-2011, 08:18 PM
that guy is a lunatic

MrFacepalm
05-14-2011, 08:20 PM
:facepalm:

LA_Raiders
05-15-2011, 02:38 AM
lol, thats funny. #1 LBs fan...

BlueJayFanDan
05-15-2011, 02:54 AM
Wow. Good thing hes not a Wayne Gretzky fan I suppose...

Antipod
05-15-2011, 03:02 AM
:facepalm:

Time2Dieeee
05-15-2011, 03:13 AM
Wow. Good thing hes not a Wayne Gretzky fan I suppose...

lol

Hellcrooner
05-15-2011, 03:42 AM
i have not even cared to open the link but from all the things read im going out in a limbe and say he probably is

1 white

2 a white supremacist piece of ****

3 almost murdered someone?

4 ive rewatched american history x too recently and its invading my lines of tought

Rose-For-Prez
05-15-2011, 04:23 AM
wow idiot

GreatMustachio1
05-15-2011, 04:30 AM
i would have done the same