PDA

View Full Version : Is This The Age Of "Humble" Superstars?

Savage Sunday
05-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Im talking about guys who care only about basketball and arent worried about having huge egos, demanding a lot of money, being a ******* to the media, feuding with a coach, or getting into trouble off the court.

What do you guys think? (Projecting down the line)

Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
John Wall
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Love
Eric Gordon

Maybe...just maybe Greg Oden.

Even guys high on the NBA radar like Kyrie Irving, Harrison Barnes, Austin Rivers, & Anthony Davis.

It seems like we're going through a stretch in which a lot of the guys trending upward in the NBA are of high character.

RZZZA
05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I really don't think Westbrook fits in with the rest of these guys.

Savage Sunday
05-13-2011, 06:05 PM
I really don't think Westbrook fits in with the rest of these guys.

Why? Because he takes a lot of shots?

RZZZA
05-13-2011, 06:06 PM
I just wouldn't classify him as someone who is humble and has a small ego.

Blake? yes. Rose? yes. Love? yes. Durant? yes.

Wall and Westbrook? I dunno...I'd lean to no.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2011, 06:11 PM

Love the sig bro!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Rondo is also humble.

gwrighter
05-13-2011, 06:16 PM
we might be reading too much into what they are saying. All of these guys are still young. give it time. i guarantee they will develop egos. its impossible not to when the clock starts ticking on your career time log n you still have goals left to accomplish.

5ass
05-13-2011, 06:19 PM
howard?

Rivera
05-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Derrick Rose - yes
Blake Griffin - lets wait more than a year
Kevin Durant - yes
John Wall - i wouldnt call him humble at all
Russell Westbrook - maybe but has signs of starbury in him
Kevin Love - klove humble?? hes always talking on twitter and didnt he once complain about minutes last season when he wasnt getting any??? (thats not humble even if you want to make a case hes "changed")
Eric Gordon - hes not a superstar

i wouldnt call todays athlete the most humble what so ever.....todays generation superstar created one of the biggest skepticals of the year...the decision...i give it to rose and durant they seemed to have there heads screwed on straight and so far so good with these two but its still early in there careers and i dont know if anyone projected lbj to do the decision after his first 2 or 3 years in the league

Bullsfan22
05-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Rondo is also humble.

yeah because saying you're better than cp3 is humble.

mttwlsn16
05-13-2011, 06:47 PM
good thread. i feel like nothing bad can come out of this, altho it is PSD. but youre right, a lot of the young up and coming stars do seem to be very humble and just want to win...but i still say lets wait a coiuple/few years to see how they all are once they do/dont pan out, and start winning/losing

but it definitely looks promising :clap:

Shareeb_omac2
05-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Honestly...

I would say this crop of players are the era of "say what people want to hear in front of the media." I don't think Rose is very genuine. Same goes for Westbrooke and Eric Gordon. John Wall seems to be pretty humble but at the same time seems like he has a big ego cause he just reeks confidence and he's one of those goofy idiots that has to dance everytime he gets excited.

Blake Griffin and Durant I would say yes they are humble athletes.

With that said I think these guys are definetly lower to earth than the Lebron era. Lebron and that wave of players almost ruined the NBA for me.

Iodine
05-13-2011, 07:01 PM
I miss Stevie Franchise :(

jimm120
05-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I would have included Melo until this past season.

but in the end, was it really Melo's doing? Well, yeah, he didn't sign but he was still under contract to play the season and he seemed ok with doing so...but Denver opted to force a trade through.

giventofly
05-13-2011, 07:08 PM
John Wall?

You mean the douchebag that danced for 40 seconds during the intro to his first NBA home game?

Sixerlover
05-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Be careful, most of those players are extremely young. A lot of players come into the league humble, hell you have to.

I mean how many of them have even had the chance to demand a lot of money, or feud with a coach? And be careful on the "off the court issues" as well because it only takes one instance to be Mike Vick'd, Kobe Bryant'd or Tiger Woods'd and forever have a tarnished reputation, remember no one you listed is even 24 yet.

Mallpha
05-13-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm under the impression that they are simply better with handling media and not losing a grip on reality then it is actually being humble.

They have learned from their predecessor mistakes and thats good but hard to say if its how they really are or just an image they are selling to the media.

Master Mind
05-13-2011, 07:12 PM

Blake doesn't strike me as humble

Master Mind
05-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Im talking about guys who care only about basketball and arent worried about having huge egos, demanding a lot of money, being a ******* to the media, feuding with a coach, or getting into trouble off the court.

Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
John Wall
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Love
Eric Gordon

Even guys high on the NBA radar like Kyrie Irving, Harrison Barnes, Austin Rivers, & Anthony Davis.

It seems like we're going through a stretch in which a lot of the guys trending upward in the NBA are of high character.

Superstar?

championships
05-13-2011, 07:15 PM
The players on that list are still young. Wait till they're actually superstars and see what happens. Still too early to tell

Mishmin
05-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't know man.. I think there's equally a big headed star for every humble one, whichever generation it is. And even those who seem humble as second year players might very well develop that ego.

Meloman
05-13-2011, 07:18 PM
It'll be interesting to see guys like Durant and Rose go up against guys like LeBron, creates a very interesting good vs. evil type situation in the league, which always makes for great drama.

Master Mind
05-13-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't know man.. I think there's equally a big headed star for every humble one, whichever generation it is. And even those who seem humble as second year players might very well develop that ego.

This.

TheHoopsProphet
05-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Jon Waltz? The Dougie Roogie who holds the ball 40 min a game?

Blake Griffin? HOW. I can already see the ego on him developed.

Rondo?? Not this life time.

Derrick Rose? The guy who felt entitled to an MVP award before proving anything?

Kevin Durant? The guy who complained about being forgotten in the media, and didnt like Westbrook taking last second shots? Who draws attention to himself with his backpacks?

There is no such thing as humble superstars

Chill_Will_24
05-13-2011, 07:23 PM
John Wall is definitely a humble kid. He dances becase his "move" became an internet sensation overnight and everyone was asking him to do it. So i guess its his signature thing now. Watch his interviews. He made a speech about his momma before even Deriick Rose did and it was just as sentimental. He is always talking of how much work he needs. He is a very high character guy

Love is NOT humble. He will leave Minny as soon as he can imo

In fact, out of that list only Rose, Wall, and Durant should be considered humble. Griffin seems like another that will leave as soon as he can unless LAC gets a new owner.

You have to understand the difference between truly humble guys and guys that are just intelligent and just say the right things on tv.

smith&wesson
05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Rose and Durant are the only real mature and humble guys out of the bunch. these two guys could spend the day with my grandfather drinking tea and they wouldnt complain.

Sixerlover
05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
John Wall is definitely a humble kid. He dances becase his "move" became an internet sensation overnight and everyone was asking him to do it. So i guess its his signature thing now. Watch his interviews. He made a speech about his momma before even Deriick Rose did and it was just as sentimental. He is always talking of how much work he needs. He is a very high character guy

Love is NOT humble. He will leave Minny as soon as he can imo

In fact, out of that list only Rose, Wall, and Durant should be considered humble. Griffin seems like another that will leave as soon as he can unless LAC gets a new owner.

You have to understand the difference between truly humble guys and guys that are just intelligent and just say the right things on tv.
This is another thing I'm confused about. How does him leaving a team take away the humble title?

Chill_Will_24
05-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Jon Waltz? The Dougie Roogie who holds the ball 40 min a game?

Blake Griffin? HOW. I can already see the ego on him developed.

Rondo?? Not this life time.

Derrick Rose? The guy who felt entitled to an MVP award before proving anything?

Kevin Durant? The guy who complained about being forgotten in the media, and didnt like Westbrook taking last second shots? Who draws attention to himself with his backpacks?

There is no such thing as humble superstars

What was actually said was: A reporter asked him if he thinks that he could be MVP and Rose responded by asking "why not? If i work hard, why cant i win it?"

What was Rose supposed to say?.. That he isn't worthy and he will never be that good?

Dont make ignorant posts.

Btw there is also a difference between a guy recognizing his own talent and a cocky guy. If Durant says that he wants to take the last shots, he is entitled to that. Have you seen the dumb shots Westbrook takes with the game on the line? Durant deserves to take the shots and he would actually be hurting his team by being passive and letting others take them; no matter how "humble" of him that may seem. Backpacks? seriously? So that makes him arrogant? wow...

Master Mind
05-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I honestly don't think humble is the proper word for people with money and fame...

Chill_Will_24
05-13-2011, 07:36 PM
This is another thing I'm confused about. How does him leaving a team take away the humble title?

Him leaving Minny is not relative to his humility. I should've worded it differently. I dont mean he will leave cuz he is cocky. However, as i hear him talk and watch his conferences i dont get the feeling he is a humble guy. He thinks he is a lot better than he is. This is obviously personal opinion thou. I could easily be wrong about him.

Chill_Will_24
05-13-2011, 07:37 PM
I honestly don't think humble is the proper word for people with money and fame...

That doesnt make sense. Not everyone changes when they get money.

Geargo Wallace
05-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Humbleness is overrated. It's fun to see some level of douchbaggery every now and then. I miss when the best players like MJ and Charles were running their mouths.

Chill_Will_24
05-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Humbleness is overrated. It's fun to see some level of douchbaggery every now and then. I miss when the best players like MJ and Charles were running their mouths.

I agree. Thats why Lebron is being marketed so hard. Sports are more enticing when there is a hero and villain ala WWE. Rose and Durant are the ultimate good guys and they are being promoted as such meanwhile the league has shrewdly embraced Lebron "the bad guy".

Fnom11
05-13-2011, 08:10 PM
All stars are humble until they get bored of it. Lebron was considered humble, Wade was considered humble and even Kobe was considered humble at one point in the NBA career.

Durant/Rose will lose the humbleness just like all other great players have.

nolin
05-13-2011, 08:13 PM

Derrick RoseBlake Griffin
Kevin DurantJohn Wall
Russell Westbrook
Kevin LoveEric Gordon

these 3 stand out wouldnt throw any of the others in there

JJ_JKidd
05-14-2011, 01:57 AM
i really don't think westbrook fits in with the rest of these guys.

+1

LakersIn5
05-14-2011, 03:13 AM
JUST WAIT BEFORE THEIR ROOKIE CONTRACT/CONTRACT EXTENSIONS EXPIRE! PEOPLE SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT LEBRON AND COMPANY WHEN THEY WERE NEW In THE LEAGUE!

nitric
05-14-2011, 03:30 AM
All stars are humble until they get bored of it. Lebron was considered humble, Wade was considered humble and even Kobe was considered humble at one point in the NBA career.

LeBron, who referred to himself as King was humble coming into the league? :clap::speechless:

checkit
05-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Austin Rivers is not really humble, IMO.

Raph12
05-14-2011, 04:09 AM
There will be a big difference between the players that are humble coming into the league and those same players 5 years in the future...

meloman1592
05-14-2011, 04:47 AM
Rose? Yes durant? Yea the rest, not so much

NetsPaint
05-14-2011, 04:59 AM
lol I doubt most of all of these young players don't care about huge contracts.

MJ-BULLS
05-14-2011, 05:04 AM
I really don't think Wall is a humble guy, he is pretty cocky and does that dance before every game.

Now, Rose and Durant? Yes, those guys are as humble as they come.

thaShady
05-14-2011, 06:29 AM
They aren't any more "humble" than past generations, its just they (like us) have grown up with ESPN and are more aware of what they are supposed to say."its not about individual accomplishments.....its a team game....i just want to win...." blah blah blah they dont mean it.

thaShady
05-14-2011, 06:31 AM
I think this is a reflection of society. This country is full of p~u~s~s~i~e~s and it spills into sports. I miss the 80s :(

marlinsfan24
05-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Your definition of humble was
having huge egos, demanding a lot of money, being a ******* to the media, feuding with a coach, or getting into trouble off the court.

Dwyane Wade really only meets one of those criteria, yet he's a ******* now? No doubt Lebron James meets those standards.

But every superstar back in the day had these issues.

And of those players, only Rose and Durant truly meet those requirements.

But let's see if they change or not. Wade and Kobe at one point were considered humble.

Gators123
05-14-2011, 08:41 AM

Agreed.

Like other people have said, these guys are still young, most of them will change after a few more years.

Geargo Wallace
05-14-2011, 01:44 PM
I agree. Thats why Lebron is being marketed so hard. Sports are more enticing when there is a hero and villain ala WWE. Rose and Durant are the ultimate good guys and they are being promoted as such meanwhile the league has shrewdly embraced Lebron "the bad guy".

Agreed.

Like other people have said, these guys are still young, most of them will change after a few more years.

wtf had PSD turned into when 2 ppl agree with me? We're all doomed!

kozelkid
05-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Lebron NEVER was. Although, in his defense, he was always looked at as the next great one. He was treated like the "chosen one" and became such. Perfect example of the effect that environment has on an individual.

Wade used to be humble though. Big reason was because he was always under the radar. Never touted as a top college prospect and even as an NBA prospect he was picked 5th and many had him going 7th. Similar case with Chris Paul. Wade changed after his 4th year or so.

I'm not sure about Durant, but I really don't think Rose will EVER change. He's just too grounded and it certainly helps that he will likely live near his family for awhile. And his mother and brothers (Reggie in particular) are a huge reason as to why he is humble now and I don't think that will EVER change.

Blake strikes me as someone who is very humble and I don't think that will change.

Love is a ******* imo. Too much of a spoiled life. Sorry T'wolves fans.

Not a fan of Wall's attitude either. I also recall him breaking into a house once (not that this directly relates to humility...)

I do like Westbrook and Oden as well. Especially if Oden can stay healthy.

Also, I think this thread is more about the combination of humility and loyalty.

Clippersfan86
05-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Are we talking about on the court or off of it because there is a huge difference. For example having missed 1 game this season I'll give my take on Blake who's on the OP's list.

On the court Blake is confident and DOES talk a lot of trash and knows how to get under a players skin. It's not some coincidence that he's been in about 10 altercations this season with veteran players. He's actually a vicious competitor on the court. He will elbow or shove players. He will dunk on you and say something on the other end. Here's a quote from Grant Hill on Blake.

"If he's going to be out there talking trash, I've got to say something to him," Hill said. "I go against Kobe (Bryant) and LeBron (James) and some of the great ones and they don't say nothing. The first-year guys shouldn't say anything either. But he is a great player. I've got a lot of respect for him. I like him. But when you're competing you don't like him. When you're competing, you've got to fight. Hopefully, I don't have to guard him too many more times in the future."

That being said.. the non competitive players of nowadays irk me. I LOVE the fact that Blake will talk trash and confront opposing players. This whole buddy buddy bullsh** on the court drives me nuts.

Off the court Blake isn't fake he truly is a class act, humble guy. He was brought up the right way. Be a fiery competitor on the court and a gentlemen off of it. He's an ideal face of the NBA in the future. Ralph Lawler has been with the Clippers like 40+ years. He thinks very highly of Blake as a person and I trust his opinion.

Savage Sunday
05-14-2011, 04:20 PM
I really don't think Wall is a humble guy, he is pretty cocky and does that dance before every game.

Now, Rose and Durant? Yes, those guys are as humble as they come.

John Wall isnt cocky at all. He did the Dougie & John Wall dance before his home debut and people think hes like Iverson? :confused:

Wall is a class act & leader. You'd be surprised how he took the reigns of the Wizards locker room this past season, they didnt win a lot but he definetly has began to establish himself as a captain.

Savage Sunday
05-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Lebron NEVER was. Although, in his defense, he was always looked at as the next great one. He was treated like the "chosen one" and became such. Perfect example of the effect that environment has on an individual.

Wade used to be humble though. Big reason was because he was always under the radar. Never touted as a top college prospect and even as an NBA prospect he was picked 5th and many had him going 7th. Similar case with Chris Paul. Wade changed after his 4th year or so.

I'm not sure about Durant, but I really don't think Rose will EVER change. He's just too grounded and it certainly helps that he will likely live near his family for awhile. And his mother and brothers (Reggie in particular) are a huge reason as to why he is humble now and I don't think that will EVER change.

Blake strikes me as someone who is very humble and I don't think that will change.

Love is a ******* imo. Too much of a spoiled life. Sorry T'wolves fans.

Not a fan of Wall's attitude either. I also recall him breaking into a house once (not that this directly relates to humility...)

I do like Westbrook and Oden as well. Especially if Oden can stay healthy.

Also, I think this thread is more about the combination of humility and loyalty.

Wall was arrested at like 15 for going into a vacant home with his friends one night. Yet that brings about character issues?

Savage Sunday
05-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Your definition of humble was

Dwyane Wade really only meets one of those criteria, yet he's a ******* now? No doubt Lebron James meets those standards.

But every superstar back in the day had these issues.

And of those players, only Rose and Durant truly meet those requirements.

But let's see if they change or not. Wade and Kobe at one point were considered humble.

I didnt say all of the superstars today arent "humble" but I was just making a point that I dont see any of these guys changing their character for the worse.

I've always viewed D-Wade as being a humble, respectable superstar. Im not sure why everyone is throwing him into the fire. Because he took part in that pre-season Miami Heat celebration? Really? That now hurts his character?Wade cares about winning & hes been the Heat's team leader for awhile now.

LeBron got ripped the most for it because hes always been about himself for much longer before that celebration event.

Clippersfan86
05-14-2011, 04:30 PM
John Wall isnt cocky at all. He did the Dougie & John Wall dance before his home debut and people think hes like Iverson? :confused:

Wall is a class act & leader. You'd be surprised how he took the reigns of the Wizards locker room this past season, they didnt win a lot but he definetly has began to establish himself as a captain.

Wall is very classy and respectful. I'd say he's definitely humble. I think people are confusing emotionless drones who say what the media wants to hear all the time as humble.

marlinsfan24
05-14-2011, 04:31 PM
I didnt say all of the superstars today arent "humble" but I was just making a point that I dont see any of these guys changing their character for the worse.

I've always viewed D-Wade as being a humble, respectable superstar. Im not sure why everyone is throwing him into the fire. Because he took part in that pre-season Miami Heat celebration? Really? That now hurts his character?Wade cares about winning & hes been the Heat's team leader for awhile now.

LeBron got ripped the most for it because hes always been about himself for much longer before that celebration event.

Oh okay I see what you were saying. And I agree with you on Wade. Although some might consider me a little biased about him. Lol.

Also, I can see why people are still mad about the whole "championship celebration" but it was mainly for the fans. But my problem with that was when Lebron went onto declare his championship guarantee. If he doesn't say that, bet most people don't have much of a problem with that pep rally.

Savage Sunday
05-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Agreed.

So a player like Kevin Durant or Derrick Rose will turn 26 and then begin to behave like a 16 year old? You know getting in trouble off the court, feuding with teammates, demanding a trade so they can get a bigger spotlight, and the whole 9 yards.

We've been following these players since they were 15 or 16 years old. They've handled the media spotlight put on them at a young age while they were prep stars very well, and have handled the spotlight put on them as young NBA stars. Why would they suddenly "change" for the worse?

You build your character as you get older, and most of us have had the same character traits about us since we were teenagers. You dont just turn 25 or 26 and decide to become a totally different person in a bad light. Usually people who were jackasses growing up turn themselves around when they get that age, not the other way around.

The guys who had questionable character demonstrated it from early on, players such as DeMarcus Cousins, Tyreke Evans, Mike Beasley, Brandon Jennings & OJ Mayo. No offense to them.

Savage Sunday
05-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Wall is very classy and respectful. I'd say he's definitely humble. I think people are confusing emotionless drones who say what the media wants to hear all the time as humble.

There is nothing wrong with these guys being "emotionless drones".

Do they quit on their team?
Do they get arrested for drugs, fighting, domestic violence, etc?
Do they alienate their teammates on the court & in the locker room?

You could go on & on.

These guys are just winners who let their games speak for them. I dont care if they're not giving me quotables, I can respect guys who dont need to draw unecessary attention to themselves.

Look at how great our 2010 Olympic squad looked with basically all of our young superstars on the same team. Heck, I'd go with that team to London in 2012 but only add Kobe, Dwight, CP3 & Wade for leadership.

tyfreaks brotha
05-14-2011, 04:39 PM
John Wall?

You mean the douchebag that danced for 40 seconds during the intro to his first NBA home game?

Hmm so now you're considerd a douchebag for dancing. Wow WTF

Savage Sunday
05-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Oh okay I see what you were saying. And I agree with you on Wade. Although some might consider me a little biased about him. Lol.

Also, I can see why people are still mad about the whole "championship celebration" but it was mainly for the fans. But my problem with that was when Lebron went onto declare his championship guarantee. If he doesn't say that, bet most people don't have much of a problem with that pep rally.

I know, I thought their pep rally was cool until LeBron did that.

LeBron turned the Heat into the NWO once he suggested they'd win 8 rings. Thats probably what most people even remember about those guys joining together in Miami.

gaughan333
05-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I thought lebron said 7 rings?

kozelkid
05-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Wall was arrested at like 15 for going into a vacant home with his friends one night. Yet that brings about character issues?

Umm... yes?

I was unaware that it being vacant made it okay. :rolleyes:

brodawgs
05-14-2011, 05:33 PM
What was actually said was: A reporter asked him if he thinks that he could be MVP and Rose responded by asking "why not? If i work hard, why cant i win it?"

What was Rose supposed to say?.. That he isn't worthy and he will never be that good?

Dont make ignorant posts.

Btw there is also a difference between a guy recognizing his own talent and a cocky guy. If Durant says that he wants to take the last shots, he is entitled to that. Have you seen the dumb shots Westbrook takes with the game on the line? Durant deserves to take the shots and he would actually be hurting his team by being passive and letting others take them; no matter how "humble" of him that may seem. Backpacks? seriously? So that makes him arrogant? wow...

:facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3NVmn51zE0

The guy doesn't make a mention of him being an MVP, he just asks rose what he thinks of him being capable of being a top 10 player in the league. Rose is the one who said he could be MVP if he works hard, but that's not the problem with the statement. He says "Why cant I be the best player in the league"

That's arrogant. Theres a difference between entertaining the idea of being an MVP and saying you could be the best player in the league.

You think you would do some research before you post on something.

RC3
05-14-2011, 05:36 PM
None of these stars are humble. They try to be humble and it works.

NetsPaint
05-14-2011, 06:06 PM
This thread is terrible. People don't even know the definition of humble. Dancing LOL? At worst that's immature, but it's not. Dwight Howard dances too. Let me guess, not wearing a suit is not humble either, right? Because, suits are what makes a person.

People need to get off there high horses. A lot of the arrogant players on the court aren't arrogant off the court at all. And a lot of times it isn't arrogant, they're just having fun.

Political correct BS.

I've made a thread on this board before asking if anybody else aside from me if they were a superstar would take a LOT less (5-6 million) a year to get other pieces and a lot of people said no way and all that. If there's anybody in this thread who said they'd take the max and are complaining about players not being humble, or if you didn't post in that thread and do think that, isn't that hypocritical?

Chill_Will_24
05-14-2011, 06:10 PM

THIS x 100

Wall is as humble as they come. Even now he still refers to reporters as "sir" or "mam" and always gives due to his coaches. Anyone that has ever heard his farewell speech after his season at Kentucky would never call him cocky. He called Calipari a father figure. He admited that his main motive for staying in the draft was to buy him mom a house so she could stop working. he promised his mom that he would return to Kentucky to finish his degree one day...

Anyway Wall is humble beyond measure. A really good kid.

kozelkid
05-14-2011, 06:58 PM

The guy doesn't make a mention of him being an MVP, he just asks rose what he thinks of him being capable of being a top 10 player in the league. Rose is the one who said he could be MVP if he works hard, but that's not the problem with the statement. He says "Why cant I be the best player in the league"

That's arrogant. Theres a difference between entertaining the idea of being an MVP and saying you could be the best player in the league.

Don't mistake confidence with arrogance.

Also, try listening to the question next time. The main question was, "what expectations do you set for yourself for year 3". This has nothing to do with humility or not. If being humble means giving yourself low expectations, then I want no part of it. Fortunately it doesn't. So I recommend you do some research yourself. By that, I mean read the definition of the words "humble" and "arrogance".

Chill_Will_24
05-14-2011, 07:01 PM

I deserved that face palm. I misread that completely

Chill_Will_24
05-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Umm... yes?

I was unaware that it being vacant made it okay. :rolleyes:

If your gonna use Wall breaking into a vacant home when he was 15 as proof that he is not humble, then what does this picture say of Rose?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/derrick-rose-gang-sign-photo.JPG

Bloods and gangstas in general are not generally known for their humility

koreancabbage
05-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Don't mistake confidence with arrogance.

Also, try listening to the question next time. The main question was, "what expectations do you set for yourself for year 3". This has nothing to do with humility or not. If being humble means giving yourself low expectations, then I want no part of it. Fortunately it doesn't. So I recommend you do some research yourself. By that, I mean read the definition of the words "humble" and "arrogance".

well he definitely wasn't being humble thats for sure but he wasn't arrogant as well.

if he says "Why cant I be the best player in the league" thats not being humble. humble is being modest, and saying why "i can't be the best" is not being modest. He would just need to say he'll play hard every night and helping the team win, without talking about himself at large, is being humble.

so no, i don't think Rose is humble, but unless there are new facts, he's not arrogant either. He knows he's one of the best players in the league but doesn't gloat about it.

Durant is hype
05-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm under the impression that they are simply better with handling media and not losing a grip on reality then it is actually being humble.

They have learned from their predecessor mistakes and thats good but hard to say if its how they really are or just an image they are selling to the media.

This. We don't know these athletes off the court,lets keep it strictly basketball folks!

twoearl
05-15-2011, 12:14 PM
I think this argument is flawed. All of these stars are super young. They haven't had the 100 million dollar endorsement deals yet. Heck they are probably still trying to be faithful to their wives for girlfriends still. Let's what a few years, after that they that huge contract and see if they are truly humble.

RIPSweetness34
05-15-2011, 01:39 PM
LeBron, who referred to himself as King was humble coming into the league? :clap::speechless:

Doesn't he have "Chosen1" on his back too?

Crackadalic
05-15-2011, 01:44 PM
IDk about age of humble superstars. Most of them are just going along with what the media wants them to be. Thats not being humble thats just being fake. Im not saying act a fool but be real about yourself and do what you want.

dnewguy
05-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
John Wall
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Love
Eric Gordon

I don't get what you're trying to say here but I think most of this "humble" talk has a race tinge to it, Black athletes seem to be held to higher standards in their actions, no one talks about "humble" when it comes to hockey superstars, it's usually the NBA.

Just my opinion on the topic, psd does has a rule not to talk about race, so I won't go into further details.

I don't understand why people expect this guys to act a certain way, they're just athletes, they have a live also. Just because Bron took his future into his own hands all of a sudden he's not "humble"