PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Could Restructure Duncan's Contract

JordansBulls
05-13-2011, 04:51 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/05/12/qa-what-does-pop-do-now/

Q: Duncan just turned 35 and is entering the final year of his contract. How confident are you that he will be in a Spurs uniform when games begin next season?

A: Timmy’s given me no indication he’s considering retiring, or anything like that, if that’s what you’re asking.

Q: Duncan does have an early termination clause in his contract that would allow him to opt out this summer and restructure his deal. Have you talked about that possibility?

A: I did mention to him, as an aside more than anything because I’m not prepared, either, but I said, “Hey, we’ve got to talk about your contract. Are you going to play? Are you going to opt out? Are you going to play nine more years? What?”

He said, “Yeah, my agent is talking to me about that,” and I said we had to get together to talk about it. That’s as far as it’s gone.

Q: Will you meet with him before June 30, given the uncertainty of the collective bargaining agreement that expires on that date?

A: I’m going to talk to Timmy as soon as (general manager) R.C. (Buford) prepares me and Tim is willing. Then we’ll talk about it.

Master Mind
05-13-2011, 04:52 PM
They will.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2011, 06:20 PM
I hope Tim plays in the silver and black until he's 45!

Giraffes Rule
05-13-2011, 06:40 PM
The only way I can see this not happening is because of the uncertainty around the labor situation. The Spurs, no doubt, want him to opt out so they have cap space to fill needs. They would retain bird rights, I believe, so if they can afford it Duncan won't even have to take much of a pay cut. I could see him opting out, letting the Spurs sign some guys, then resigning for $10-12 million for another 2 years.

drobe86
05-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Tim should honestly either give back some money or play next year for free. He robbed the Spurs the last 2 years. He's done absolutely nothing. He moves like a dinosaur with no moves, no scoring ability, and his reboounding has dropped off.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2011, 07:05 PM
The only way I can see this not happening is because of the uncertainty around the labor situation. The Spurs, no doubt, want him to opt out so they have cap space to fill needs. They would retain bird rights, I believe, so if they can afford it Duncan won't even have to take much of a pay cut. I could see him opting out, letting the Spurs sign some guys, then resigning for $10-12 million for another 2 years.

For the Larry Bird rights, you have to be over the cap already. Like if the Spurs were over the cap and Duncan was a free agent, or if they only had a little space under, they could go over to sign him, but if they are under the cap and want to keep him, they have to sign him first, or renounce their rights. If they sign him, he will take up the cap space (depending on how much he signs for) and they will only have the MLE. If he takes less, it could give them some space. Its like when the Clippers had cap space and they signed Baron Davis, they saved space to sign Brand, but he wasnt happy with the amount they had left over for him. So if your guy is a FA and you have space and use that space to sign somebody else, then you renounce your own FA's rights. If you are only a little under the cap, say 5 mil, and another team offers your player 12 million, you can match or exceed it to keep your player and go over the cap.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Tim should honestly either give back some money or play next year for free. He robbed the Spurs the last 2 years. He's done absolutely nothing. He moves like a dinosaur with no moves, no scoring ability, and his reboounding has dropped off.

Oh jeez... how about a little respect! FOUR TITLES MAN!!!!! And he is the anchor for that team, and is still the best defender at his position! One of the best blks-per-fls averages in the league!

:facepalm:

smith&wesson
05-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Cool

Meloman
05-13-2011, 07:30 PM
If he wants to compete for the rest of his career it'd be in his best interest to. Still, he's given that organization enough, he doesn't HAVE to do this.

Giraffes Rule
05-14-2011, 02:07 AM
For the Larry Bird rights, you have to be over the cap already. Like if the Spurs were over the cap and Duncan was a free agent, or if they only had a little space under, they could go over to sign him, but if they are under the cap and want to keep him, they have to sign him first, or renounce their rights. If they sign him, he will take up the cap space (depending on how much he signs for) and they will only have the MLE. If he takes less, it could give them some space. Its like when the Clippers had cap space and they signed Baron Davis, they saved space to sign Brand, but he wasnt happy with the amount they had left over for him. So if your guy is a FA and you have space and use that space to sign somebody else, then you renounce your own FA's rights. If you are only a little under the cap, say 5 mil, and another team offers your player 12 million, you can match or exceed it to keep your player and go over the cap.

Oh. Well that sucks. Even if Tim Duncan restructures his contract, that would only give the Spurs ~$4 million to work with (and then the MLE). Assuming that's all in the new CBA.

I really hope there's no lockout.

drobe86
05-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Oh jeez... how about a little respect! FOUR TITLES MAN!!!!! And he is the anchor for that team, and is still the best defender at his position! One of the best blks-per-fls averages in the league!

:facepalm:

4 titles has nothing to do with what he's done the last 2 years which is nothing. LOL... You can't keep giving a guy money based off past accomplishments. The Lakers thought they were going to win another title because they won the last 2. We saw how that turned out.....

kdspurman
05-14-2011, 03:00 AM
4 titles has nothing to do with what he's done the last 2 years which is nothing. LOL... You can't keep giving a guy money based off past accomplishments. The Lakers thought they were going to win another title because they won the last 2. We saw how that turned out.....

Typical mavs fan :facepalm: 4 titles has everything to do with it. before him, they could never get over the hump. he made that franchise 4 time champions so there is a certain degree of loyalty and respect.

were you saying dirk should give money back after 07 when a team of guards and forwards took him out his game?

btw, he averaged 18 and 10 last year and this year was his first real drop off in production. its odd you would even bring up what he did the past 2 years considering last year they eliminated your team. interesting.