PDA

View Full Version : NBA D-league players Salaries

RAptorsNExtYeaR
05-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey Guys,

I came across this article on D-league players and substantial difference in salaries compared to NBA players. They make about 12k-24k a year with hopes to make it to the nba for a chance at that big payday and let their game shine on the biggest stage of basketball in the world. Do you guys think it's better for them to play in the Euroleague where they can actually make a decent profit? I mean..... how can anyone survive off 12k-24k a year? don't you make more working minimum wage at mcdonalds? Im 23 and live in Canada and make about 3x what they make as an Elec. Engineer EIT. I state my age because i'm not married, don't have a family/kids, don't have a mortgage, own my own car, no kids or looking to settle anytime soon. I know some of these guys must have kids and wives. Do they have part time jobs? Just wondering if anyone has any additional info on this?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7239948

redsox0717
05-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Most of them that make that little probably work part-time jobs on the side to support their families. But the idea of getting paid to play a sport, with the possibility of one time realizing their dream and making it to the NBA is good enough for them.

RAptorsNExtYeaR
05-13-2011, 04:02 PM
But what type of part-time jobs could they possibly do? Every part time job requires a couple shifts a week? Especially with actual games, training, practice, not to mention being on the road for away games. Does the D-league hook them up with some type of part time job to accommodate for their schedule? I'm really curious as how they get by because it's not just like some rec league where you show up every monday night at 8pm etc.

Jetsguy
05-13-2011, 04:03 PM
its crap pay but they are playing basketball, I would like to get money to watch TV which is what I am good at:D

Savage Sunday
05-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Im a huge D-League fan so I'll chime in.

The maximum salary in the D-League is $25,500. That is if you play the entire season.

Its basically a paycheck just like a job, so guys who get signed during the season end up only making as much as they play. If you sign with 1 month left well you'll probably make $2K.

You also have to remember 2 things with the D-League:

1.) The teams do not pay anything for the players. That means out of that $25K salary players have to cover travel costs, hotel costs, food costs, and even the stuff they wear like shoes, arm sleeves, knee pads, etc. If a player suffers a major injury that will keep him out for months, the player gets waived and he has to cover his injury costs on his healthcare insurance(if he has it). Its a ****ed up situation for those guys, but they're trying to make their dream come true.

2.) All of these guys could make more money playing overseas and I'd say about 1/3 of them(best players) usually do play their basketball season for a team in Europe at some point. Some guys are trying to showcase themselves in the D-League for a contract in Europe which of course is substantially more when included the perks the team gives them. Other guys start their season off in Europe and ask for their release to spend 1 or 2 months in the D-League making less money, but having a better platform showcasing themselves to NBA teams for a call-up.

Oh yeah I cant forget that when a guy gets called up to a NBA team, its an instant payday. A guy like Zabian Dowdell, Call-up to the Suns, was making that $25K salary in the D-League but once he got called up and had his contract guaranteed for the rest of the season he made $273K this season.

RAptorsNExtYeaR
05-13-2011, 04:24 PM
But is That enough to cover all that? i mean they still have to rent an apartment, buy groceries, clothes, go to movies, eat out, everyday life etc. I make about 3x what they make and even sometimes I wish I made more money for my personal needs and I don't even have a family!!

I just can't fathom how in the world they can survive off the maximum of $25,500 let alone the minimum of $12,000. Is $25,500 enough to survive in the states? I have never been to the states so i'm not sure what living costs are like their.

Im a huge D-League fan so I'll chime in.

The maximum salary in the D-League is $25,500. That is if you play the entire season.

Its basically a paycheck just like a job, so guys who get signed during the season end up only making as much as they play. If you sign with 1 month left well you'll probably make $2K.

You also have to remember 2 things with the D-League:

1.) The teams do not pay anything for the players. That means out of that $25K salary players have to cover travel costs, hotel costs, food costs, and even the stuff they wear like shoes, arm sleeves, knee pads, etc. If a player suffers a major injury that will keep him out for months, the player gets waived and he has to cover his injury costs on his healthcare insurance(if he has it). Its a ****ed up situation for those guys, but they're trying to make their dream come true.

2.) All of these guys could make more money playing overseas and I'd say about 1/3 of them(best players) usually do play their basketball season for a team in Europe at some point. Some guys are trying to showcase themselves in the D-League for a contract in Europe which of course is substantially more when included the perks the team gives them. Other guys start their season off in Europe and ask for their release to spend 1 or 2 months in the D-League making less money, but having a better platform showcasing themselves to NBA teams for a call-up.

Oh yeah I cant forget that when a guy gets called up to a NBA team, its an instant payday. A guy like Zabian Dowdell, Call-up to the Suns, was making that $25K salary in the NBDL but once he got called up and had his contract guaranteed for the rest of the season he made $273K this season.

HeatBBall
05-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I live in the states on my own and I'm wondering how in the world they afford it. Most likely they don't have those type of expenses such as Rent (elsewhere besides where the league is) and all the other basic bills. We have to remember that the majority of them in the D-league are really young. When I was 20-22 or so I didn't have the same bills I have now. At most I had a car payment and a cell phone bill. So they might be able to make it on that salary.

Rivera
05-13-2011, 04:33 PM
what savage sunday says is 100% correct

jameson curry (remember him from oklahoma state?)

he is one of my weed connects i buy from

ElishaJ1030
05-13-2011, 04:42 PM
it's not 20k for a year...it's like 5mos....a lot of them play overseas as well..

RAptorsNExtYeaR
05-13-2011, 04:45 PM
There is talk of beginning a Canadian Basketball league, of which players get paid 5k-6k a month, which is about 60k-72k a year. Do you think they Dleague players will come play for the canadian league, more money and closer to home? Haha we could use some ballers up here, i'm getting sick of seeing all this hockey everywhere.

Savage Sunday
05-13-2011, 04:46 PM
But is That enough to cover all that? i mean they still have to rent an apartment, buy groceries, clothes, go to movies, eat out, everyday life etc. I make about 3x what they make and even sometimes I wish I made more money for my personal needs and I don't even have a family!!
Yeah they do, but they're on the road non-stop for 6 months so they dont really have to worry about an apartment. Hotel living & traveling at its finest.

Its why some of the better players dont play in the D-League for the full season instead choosing Europe. Make $80-100K+ or so in Europe and then come back state-side and do the non-stop D-League traveling for about 2 months. Sounds good.

I really hope they raise the salaries and offer them injury insurance under the new CBA.

I just can't fathom how in the world they can survive off the maximum of $25,500 let alone the minimum of $12,000. Is $25,500 enough to survive in the states? I have never been to the states so i'm not sure what living costs are like their.
Yeah the living costs are pretty expensive. Its tough on guys who have families/kids they need to take care of.

Really, I'd think its easy on the rookies who havent made any money yet. But when you are fresh out of college I'm sure you know how to conserve money and eat cheap food and just work out to keep fit.

Savage Sunday
05-13-2011, 04:53 PM
There is talk of beginning a Canadian Basketball league, of which players get paid 5k-6k a month, which is about 60k-72k a year. Do you think they Dleague players will come play for the canadian league, more money and closer to home? Haha we could use some ballers up here, i'm getting sick of seeing all this hockey everywhere.

Possibly.

The D-League is as attractive as it is due to the exposure it gets with NBA teams. Outside of that its not even a quality league in terms of its play.(srs) No defense and a lot of guys in it for themselves on the court lol so if you're a "role player" in the D-League I have much respect for your unselfishness.

Meloman
05-13-2011, 06:24 PM
That's worse than what they'd make at Burger King. Well, probably about even. This is why players should take advantage of their free educations so they don't HAVE to play basketball to make these crappy wages. Realistically only a very small group of Dleaguers ever make it to the NBA, and even fewer actually make a career there (Anthony Morrow being the only one I can think of).