PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

HouRealCoach
05-13-2011, 11:00 AM
10 or 11 games into the season you guys were so confident that Rondo would beat John Stockton's record of 14 apg but he didnt even finish first.. Some of you even went as far as saying that he would average 12 ppg, 18 apg, 7 rpg... He was far from that but what happened to him that he fell off so bad?

BigCityofDreams
05-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Injuries

HouRealCoach
05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
^^I knew someone was going to say that... The real reason is he isnt capable

Tarheels23
05-13-2011, 11:09 AM
The Shaq injury was one reason. There were 3-4 easy assists per game for Rondo if he drove and dished it to Shaq.

ManRam
05-13-2011, 11:13 AM

So you just wanted to make a thread to bash Rondo? Cool.

Injuries did play a role. However, that was an unsustainable pace in today's NBA (slower pace)...and that's not a knock on him. But in Septemeber he played 42 minutes a game. In October he played 39. After those months, his minutes plummeted, getting as low as 34 minutes a game near the end of the year.

Also, remember, Boston's offense was very average this year. He didn't have the weapons needed to do this. He's as pass-first as it gets.

PhillyFaninLA
05-13-2011, 11:18 AM
I just want to make sure I'm understanding this topic correctly....someone with a Knicks animate gif in there sig is making a topic about a division rival's point guard being overrated.

Frantico
05-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Imagine Stockton's numbers if he had KG, Pierce, Allen and Shaq (sometimes) to dish it too instead of just the Mailman?? His numbers would be outrageous.

The greatest true point guard to ever play the game. And BTW... he holds 2 records which (because of today's game) will NEVER BE BROKEN. All time leader in assists and steals.

Klivlend
05-13-2011, 11:30 AM
I just want to make sure I'm understanding this topic correctly....someone with a Knicks animate gif in there sig is making a topic about a division rival's point guard being overrated.

I think it's more an Indiana gif since its R. Miller draining 3's on the Knicks. Just sayin

KingPosey
05-13-2011, 11:31 AM
The reason he fell of is because he wasnt good enough to avg those numbers. Those are insane stats that even all time greats cant touch.

People thought he would avg 12 18 and 7?!

The PSD front running band wagoners... I bet a bunch of them will trash Rondo now.

GeekInThePink
05-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Find me one quote saying Rondo would average 18 assists a game, please.. this thread is a bashing joke.

210Don
05-13-2011, 11:55 AM
lol people get carried away in the moment

whitemamba33
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
So you made a thread asking a question, someone gave you an answer, and you responded by telling him that he was wrong and instead gave the answer you believe to be true?

:facepalm:

Sadds The Gr8
05-13-2011, 12:02 PM
wasn't he playing with a sprained ankle and plantar faciitis (don't know how the **** to spell it) on BOTH feet in the reg season? Also Boston had so much injuries...that's why they fell down the standings. I think they woulda stayed in 1st or 2nd for sure if they were at least somewhat healthy in the reg season.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
05-13-2011, 01:05 PM
(just switched sports in my avy & sig but i am a Celtcs fan)

a.) i dont think Stocktons record will ever be touched

b.) injuries to him and the team

c.) playing less minutes than in the begining of the season

d.) after Perk got traded he turned into a part a the female anatomy

PAOboston
05-13-2011, 01:17 PM
1. plantar fascitis, a bum ankle, a messed up pinky
2. injuries to his teamates
3. kinda lost the plot a little after the perkins trade. he was super inconsistent after that (then again, the injuries might have been just nagging but who knows).

also, i have no idea who actually believed that he would average 18 assists per game. that's just flat out stupid and anyone who actually believed that is a freaking idiot.

i can see someone getting 14 eventually. i think rondo would have a field day playing in a run n gun offense like d'antoni had in phoenix.

KingPosey
05-13-2011, 01:32 PM
wasn't he playing with a sprained ankle and plantar faciitis (don't know how the **** to spell it) on BOTH feet in the reg season? Also Boston had so much injuries...that's why they fell down the standings. I think they woulda stayed in 1st or 2nd for sure if they were at least somewhat healthy in the reg season.

So he had 2 sprained ankles and planter fasciitus in both feet? Ya i really believe that is what the truth is....

ilovemyangel
05-13-2011, 01:47 PM
You know, i'm not the biggest rondo fan out there But your thread is a joke. You just need to bash him do ya?

Kashmir13579
05-13-2011, 02:37 PM
OPs intent was to bait and bash. the answer to the question is injuries and the Perkins trade.

Kashmir13579
05-13-2011, 02:39 PM
You know, i'm not the biggest rondo fan out there But your thread is a joke. You just need to bash him do ya?

they bash him because he's great. they also bash him because he's an anomaly. there has really never been another player quite like him.

NetsPaint
05-13-2011, 02:47 PM
If Rondo did, it would be because he absolutely has to pass that much unless his shooting drastically improves, which would probably mean his assists go down.

BigCityofDreams
05-13-2011, 03:10 PM
So you made a thread asking a question, someone gave you an answer, and you responded by telling him that he was wrong and instead gave the answer you believe to be true?

yea pretty much.

Ripper Gein
05-13-2011, 03:16 PM
they bash him because he's great. they also bash him because he's an anomaly. there has really never been another player quite like him.

:eyebrow:I think this is more opinion than fact.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2011, 03:41 PM
I was one of the ones who though he'd be able to get 1000 assists in the season and considered that he could have been only the fourth PG to do it (Thomas, Magic and Stockton are the first three), and I still believe he is capable of it. That said, his average was less than one assist shy of what would have been needed over the coarse of a 82 game season. 12.19 is needed, he averaged 11.2. So yeah, he wasnt far off, and had he been healthy and not had the games with limited minutes, coupled with the fact he was missing some players to move the ball too, and got new faces in half way through the season, he did pretty good, and had he been healthy I think he would have maintained a 12+ average. And its not like he got blown out of the water by Nash, Nash averaged 11.4, to Rondo's 11.2.

Rondo's game is the type that is set up to post 1000 assists a season. He is a pass first point guard who breaks down defences and looks for the open man BEFORE his own shot. People forget how blessed Stockton was to have a great shooter (either Jeff Malone or Jeff Hornacek) and Karl Malone, and having the luck that all three of the guys in the pecking order were generally present for the entire season. From 86-98, Karl Malone only miss a total of FIVE games, which is unheard of today, and outside of the 04 season, Malone only missed 10 games in 18 years! Imagine a guy that only calls into work once every two years! Stockton had SIXTEEN SEASONS where he didnt miss a game! Could you imagine a guy that didnt miss a day of work in 16 of 18 years? In his first 5 seasons with the Jazz, Hornacek missed only 5 games! One call in a year? And he looked bad next to Malone and Stockton.

So yeah, injuries are a big deal and not to be down played. Had he played a full 82 games, his season, and Boston's, would have looked very different.

Hustlenomics
05-13-2011, 03:48 PM

lol what a clown. Injuries was a big reason, him and Shaq got many assists together and he had to battle a foot and ankle injury all season

Purple&Gold24
05-13-2011, 03:53 PM
The team was beat up

Tanakid777
05-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Pure baiting here

TO to the CHI
05-13-2011, 04:12 PM

So you just wanted to make a thread to bash Rondo? Cool.

Injuries did play a role. However, that was an unsustainable pace in today's NBA (slower pace)...and that's not a knock on him. But in Septemeber he played 42 minutes a game. In October he played 39. After those months, his minutes plummeted, getting as low as 34 minutes a game near the end of the year.

Also, remember, Boston's offense was very average this year. He didn't have the weapons needed to do this. He's as pass-first as it gets.

This and this. Rondo's hot start was not sustainable, but he is one of the best passers in the league and has incredible court vision. Injuries (involving many of the players on the Celtics) are the biggest culprit, but the pace was also not sustainable to begin with. Defenses also started playing him a little bit differently (imo) as the season went on.

I generally support broadly starting threads, but it is pretty stupid to start a thread for which you aren't going to engage in dialogue and are going to criticize legitimate responses. I am no Rondo fan, but this thread is a joke.