PDA

View Full Version : New Canadian Professional Basketball League

ilovesports
05-13-2011, 10:08 AM
http://thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3121723

This is just the link from my local newspaper but I saw the same story on Yahoo and TSN yesterday.

Of all the so-called "competitive" basketball countries Canada is the only one that does not have their own pro league. It would be great for developing young talent - in one of the other articles I saw they intended to have a CFL type clause where each team must have a minimum of 2 Canadian players on the roster. It would not compete with Euro pro leagues or the NBA with players not expected to make more than 5-6K per month.

Can this be successful/survive in a hockey flooded country?

Thoughts??

ilovesports
05-13-2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/05/12/nb-basketball-league-canada-1104.html

heres another link from CBC

beasted86
05-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Why not?

At the very least it will help them field a more competitive Olympic team.

It's a damn shame when Joel Anthony is your leading scorer in the Olympics.

Dstmccoy
05-13-2011, 10:24 AM
about as globally successful as the CFL.

Kashmir13579
05-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Why?

Geargo Wallace
05-13-2011, 10:27 AM
awesome like Kong!

jockrider
05-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Why not?

are you high? pretty sure that's not true. but yeah our top players don't really play on that team tristan thompson/rautins/corey joseph/myck kabongo it took awhile for basketball to develop for us.

gwrighter
05-13-2011, 10:40 AM
that's sick. getting paid to play any sport is a great opportunity. hopefully it will help foster some more competitive spirit n drive.

GeekInThePink
05-13-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm from Nova Scotia (home of the Halifax Rainmen, who just joined this league), the team had been bouncing around different leagues for a few years and hopefully a good fit. I hope this league can be a medium where Canada can develop some future players.

king4day
05-13-2011, 10:48 AM
I like the idea. As was mentioned above, it'll at least help groom the best players for their Olympic team.

I don't like that they only have to have 2 Canadian players per team.
You should at least have 5 - 7.

You're gonna see adam morrison go there for sure. Any type of 'star' power they can get would help them. Even if they suck.

beasted86
05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
are you high? pretty sure that's not true. but yeah our top players don't really play on that team tristan thompson/rautins/corey joseph/myck kabongo it took awhile for basketball to develop for us.

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fwcm/team/p/eid/4728/nid/0/orderby//rid/6944/sid/4728/tid/257/profile.html

Okay, so I'm obviously high... :rolleyes:

Joel led the team in points, FG%, blocks and steals... and he's a subpar Center in the NBA. The league should help them put together a better team by finding more talent in their country.

North Yorker
05-13-2011, 11:03 AM
http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fwcm/team/p/eid/4728/nid/0/orderby//rid/6944/sid/4728/tid/257/profile.html

Joel led the team in points, FG%, blocks and steals... and he's a subpar Center in the NBA. The league should help them put together a better team by finding more talent in their country.

Yea it was a low for Canadian basketball without Nash, Dalembert, Magloire playing, but it's starting to turn around quickly with Kris and Corey Joseph, Tristian Thompson, possible top 10 pick next year in Myck Kabongo, Kyle Wiltjer, and Khem Birch (last 3 played in McDonald's All American game).

jockrider
05-13-2011, 11:06 AM

well that's embarrassing..... anyways the talent is getting better with guys like trisatan thompson, myck kaongo, corey Joesph and young prospects like Andrew Wiggins.

Kelly Gruber
05-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Average Canadian doesn't give a **** about basketball. Even though it is slowly growing. Too soft, can't see a league being a success, better idea would have been to try a few D-League teams...

BALLER R
05-13-2011, 01:52 PM
its like people outside of canada don't realize basketball is big here and its growing. with opportunities to get somewhere doing it now a lot of guys might take it more seriously.

davidst.hubbins
05-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Can a kid skip college and go play there for a season?

miller74
05-13-2011, 02:01 PM
haha just like that Canadian Baseball League a few years back that went out of business half way through the season, pass.

Rego247
05-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Average Canadian doesn't give a **** about basketball. Even though it is slowly growing. Too soft, can't see a league being a success, better idea would have been to try a few D-League teams...

u seem to have a firm grip on what the average canadian likes or doesn't like.

what part of canada are u from?

Eagles4Lyfe
05-13-2011, 02:16 PM

haha just like that Canadian Baseball League a few years back that went out of business half way through the season, pass.

Both you guys don't understand more people are involved and play in basketball than baseball, football, and hockey here in Canada.
Soccer has to be number 1 but anytime you go on the streets you see more nets and more people playing from all ages than you would see hockey nets, or baseball diamonds.
Basketball was always big here but people never thought of making it big until like recently now its getting bigger than ever.

Muttman73
05-13-2011, 02:17 PM
can only be a good thing

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2011, 03:10 PM
There are all kinds of pluses for this. One, it could help develop the Canadian olypmic program, because lets face it, when talented Canadian basketball players are done school, they are done playing, because outside of pick up games in local schools/gyms which are not competetive games, there is nowhere to play outside of Europe and the developmental league.

There was a local basketball league for Ontario a few years back, but I dont think it lasted past the first season. It might work out if it was more localized, like the OHL, because the travelling expences would be far less. Lets face it, if you are an upstart league that only has about a dozen teams, flying cost-to-cost for half your games is going to rack up the bills. A bus drive down the 401, not so much.

I'd like to see one where I could go to some games at the WCFU center in Windsor, but I dont think its too likely.

*fingers crossed*

miller74
05-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Both you guys don't understand more people are involved and play in basketball than baseball, football, and hockey here in Canada.
Soccer has to be number 1 but anytime you go on the streets you see more nets and more people playing from all ages than you would see hockey nets, or baseball diamonds.
Basketball was always big here but people never thought of making it big until like recently now its getting bigger than ever.

Really doesnt mean anything, basketball is an easier sport to get together u need a ball, a net and 2 people to play even just 1 could. But if ur playing baseball or hockey u need alot more players and equipment. And for you to insist than basketball is more popular than hockey in Canada is downright laughable and false.

Biggest thing is that inferior sport leagues do not sell well. OHL and AHL struggle to sell, why because people would rather watch the NHL. And a new basketball league would have to compete with the NBA and NCAA, and it would probably flop just like the indoor soccer league, IHL, Canadian Baseball League

Raph12
05-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Why not?

Now that would be a team filled with guys missing passes and layups lol... Not pretty.

Rego247
05-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Really doesnt mean anything, basketball is an easier sport to get together u need a ball, a net and 2 people to play even just 1 could. But if ur playing baseball or hockey u need alot more players and equipment. And for you to insist than basketball is more popular than hockey in Canada is downright laughable and false.

Biggest thing is that inferior sport leagues do not sell well. OHL and AHL struggle to sell, why because people would rather watch the NHL. And a new basketball league would have to compete with the NBA and NCAA, and it would probably flop just like the indoor soccer league, IHL, Canadian Baseball League

how many ice hockey rinks do u see parked in the middle of the suburban streets or the inner city?

contrary to popular belief basketball is still popular over here, and still growing. look at how much canadian talent is being recruited to play for top tier schools in the US.

tr3ymill3r
05-13-2011, 05:55 PM
When are tryouts?

Sadds The Gr8
05-13-2011, 05:59 PM
a Canadian Basketball league? maybe me and my grandma should tryout.

smith&wesson
05-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Meh, i dont even watch the cfl.

Rego247
05-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Meh, i dont even watch the cfl.

cuz the cfl sucks. :D

Meloman
05-13-2011, 06:20 PM
I think it's great. Hopefully renewed Canadian interest in the game leads the NBA to take a team back to Vancouver, supposedly the players, writers, and really anyone involved all thought it was one of the best NBA cities.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-13-2011, 06:20 PM

OHL and AHL don't sell well but because of that league alone look at the amount of Canadian hockey players we produce throughout the years. We have like bantam leagues and what not for hockey which is why you see so many Canadian hockey players, whereas basketball you don't even have that which is why we struggle.
If we get leagues like this it'll help develope Canadian talent immensely.
Second I never said nationally ball is more famous than ball, i just said more people participate in basketball than they do hockey, which is true and you already stated some of the reasons why.

how many ice hockey rinks do u see parked in the middle of the suburban streets or the inner city?

contrary to popular belief basketball is still popular over here, and still growing. look at how much canadian talent is being recruited to play for top tier schools in the US.
Ya exactly everyone and anyone can play basketball, whereas hockey you need to know how to skate, buy expensive equipment and need so much strength. Nuff said'

a Canadian Basketball league? maybe me and my grandma should tryout.

:laugh:

clutchski
05-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Pretty damn cool. It won't be a very popular league at all though :/

Baller1
05-13-2011, 08:34 PM
A basketball league for whites! Yes! I have a renewed hope.

shrek
05-13-2011, 08:56 PM
why don't they just get few NBA teams to move to canada? Teams that don't get a lot of attendance in America should move to canada

justinnum1
05-13-2011, 09:04 PM

:burn:

Punk
05-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I love this idea. I have been waiting for something like this. I think Canada deserves a league. However, I think it will really hurt the Raptors. But I hope I'm wrong.

That's the biggest lie. Toronto is just as committed to basketball as any other city. Vancover sold out. In the Pre-season this year, Knicks vs Raptors in Montreal sold out.

The Canada doesn't like basketball crap is beyond ********. They want good basketball. Considering the Raptors only had 2 legit winning teams in the last 10 years, I would expect not alot of buzz about it.

jockrider
05-13-2011, 09:26 PM
I love this idea. I have been waiting for something like this. I think Canada deserves a league. However, I think it will really hurt the Raptors. But I hope I'm wrong.

That's the biggest lie. Toronto is just as committed to basketball as any other city. Vancover sold out. In the Pre-season this year, Knicks vs Raptors in Montreal sold out.

The Canada doesn't like basketball crap is beyond ********. They want good basketball. Considering the Raptors only had 2 legit winning teams in the last 10 years, I would expect not alot of buzz about it.

lol no one would watch that ishh i wouldn't worry.

ThePusherMan26
05-13-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm from Halifax and I like the idea, I'll be supporting.

MelkyNYY
05-13-2011, 10:38 PM
What's Canada?

Rego247
05-13-2011, 10:51 PM

:clap: well said sir.

Sadds The Gr8
05-13-2011, 11:10 PM
why don't they just get few NBA teams to move to canada? Teams that don't get a lot of attendance in America should move to canada

only Vancouver is worthy of an NBA team. no other city is.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-13-2011, 11:29 PM
What's Canada?

Who are you?? I hope you enjoy your stay on PSD for another couple months :laugh:

ilovesports
05-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I think the goal of the league has to be developing Canadian talent. For what they will be able to pay the players, it is going to be difficult to lure in high level foreign talent.

As the quality of Canadian basketball increases however so to will the interest in the sport. This should lead to better results at the ticket offices and more importantly the Olympics!

I kind of liked the idea someone said out earlier of testing out a few D-league teams to start though. This would guarantee games with high level talent to those cities seeking a team

clutchski
05-13-2011, 11:58 PM
What's Canada?

Ahaaaa. Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Very funny!

ramansingh3
05-14-2011, 12:20 PM

I agree I think one D-league team would be more successful than a canadian basketball league. I would have that team in either Vancouver or Montreal.

MVP1
05-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Your gonna get people who will look at any say why would I watch minor league basketball when I can watch NBA on TV? I don't see this being a success. The only reason CFL is around is due to the history.

NYKalltheway
05-14-2011, 06:12 PM
They say it's a 30 game schedule (not sure if they're gonna have playoffs) so that means they will have 1-2 games per week. It's not something that will try to steal competition or tv ratings from the NBA, just something that took over 50 years to actually have in place. I find it ridiculous that Canada does not have a basketball league

Cal827
05-14-2011, 06:57 PM
What's Canada?

I thought that this guy was serious, and then I read that he doesn't think that the 4 ace Phillies will make the playoffs and dismissed the comment as crazy. Lol just joking around man :P

It's a good idea, as it could help increase Canada's interest in Basketball. Hopefully, this idea doesn't go belly up early.

montazingmvp
05-14-2011, 10:08 PM
quick question, out of curiousity...for canadians

without your bias getting in the way.

whats the more popular sport in Canada, basketball or soccer?

jockrider
05-14-2011, 10:48 PM

I'm not sure of all of Canada which sport is more popular but in Toronto i believe basketball is.

clutchski
05-14-2011, 11:05 PM

Soccer hands down. It may not seem that way 'cause people are more interested in soccer within other countries (England, Italy, Spain, countries in South America etc.). Basketball would seem more popular to some because we actually have a team in one of the major leagues (obviously the NBA).

LA_Raiders
05-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Nash can go back to canada and finally win something...