PDA

View Full Version : Where are the conspiracy theroist?

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 01:27 AM
According to you, the NBA is fixed. The refs are all instructed to help certain teams win. Like the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, and who ever else Stern wants to promote, or use to get good ratings. So obviously he orchestrated one L.A team not make the playoffs, the other to get swept in the second round. One New York area team not make the playoffs, and the other get swept in the first round. He wanted Boston to go out in a measly 5 games in the most anticipated playoff match in the post season. He wanted small market Memphis to beat the Spurs, and small market Oklahoma, playing for a chance to get to the finals. We know all this was set up because every year, you promote it as a fact that the NBA is the WWE for tall black guys.

So since we know none of this is real, I ask you to take the tin foil off your head for a second, and tell me why you think Stern wanted almost all his major markets out of the playoffs so early. Or is it only rigged when the team you hate, wins the championship?

jerellh528
05-13-2011, 01:28 AM
in before lock

Jewelz0376
05-13-2011, 01:30 AM
It's just bs excuses people make up for their teams just not being good enough...or bs reasons why teams they hate win

Baller1
05-13-2011, 01:30 AM
The Lakers are out of the playoffs, you can stop talking about them now. Thanks.

Hellcrooner
05-13-2011, 01:32 AM
mmmm how are you not sure all the "upsets" are fixin for a determinate team to win easily?

jerellh528
05-13-2011, 01:34 AM
The Lakers are out of the playoffs, you can stop talking about them now. Thanks.

how about you not posting instead and let people talk about the lakers in they want to in a FORUM, do you know what a forum is?

Baller1
05-13-2011, 01:38 AM
how about you not posting instead and let people talk about the lakers in they want to in a FORUM, do you know what a forum is?

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Enjoy.

jerellh528
05-13-2011, 01:41 AM
The thread is an open ended question to all big market teams, just so happens lakers are a hot topic whenever mentioned.

Sadds The Gr8
05-13-2011, 01:42 AM
cool story bruh

gotoHcarolina52
05-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Typical Conspiracy Theorist's Response: Well, if everything goes according to plan, it would be too obvious. Stern knows this and so he has some series follow an unexpected path in order to make it less obvious that the NBA is rigged. That's why Memphis beat the Spurs and the Mavs swept the Lakers. Also, Stern knew the Lakers-Celtics matchup had jumped the shark and had lost its marketing and money-making potential as a result. Deep down, Stern desperately wanted Chicago vs. Miami in the ECF and Dallas vs a young, athletic small market team (either OKC or Memphis) in the West. And he got both of them. The NBA is rigged, bro.

Hustlenomics
05-13-2011, 01:59 AM
Stern's been trying to get Lebron to win for years, why would he want the Celtics and Lakers in his way?

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 02:03 AM
Typical Conspiracy Theorist's Response: Well, if everything goes according to plan, it would be too obvious. Stern knows this and so he has some series follow an unexpected path in order to make it less obvious that the NBA is rigged. That's why Memphis beat the Spurs and the Mavs swept the Lakers. Also, Stern knew the Lakers-Celtics matchup had jumped the shark and had lost its marketing and money-making potential as a result. Deep down, Stern desperately wanted Chicago vs. Miami in the ECF and Dallas vs a young, athletic small market team (either OKC or Memphis) in the West. And he got both of them. The NBA is rigged, bro.

Winner! This is exactly the type of response I thought the conspiracy guys would come up with. "Stern has to change it up every few years so people won't catch on. That's why he let the Spurs get to 4 finals"

Rego247
05-13-2011, 02:08 AM
cool story bruh

this.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 02:09 AM

Talk about an inferiority complex. I mentioned more teams than just the Lakers but that's the only team you seem to be able to focus on. Get over it brah. You should just pay attention to your own team since nobody else does. They don't need their fans attentions focused on the Lakers.

sep11ie
05-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Soooo, so I guess you are forgetting that the heat are supposed to be the "big picture" Stern wants for the league?

Such a lame weaksauce thread.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 02:13 AM
This thread is the same exact type of thread that was opened when someone asked if we thought the NBA was rigged. There were plenty of posters in there citing why they thought the NBA is just a show. I just want to know their thoughts on the outcomes so far.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 02:20 AM
Soooo, so I guess you are forgetting that the heat are supposed to be the "big picture" Stern wants for the league?

But if thats the plan, why not have the series be more competitive? Why not let the Lakers win 2 games to get more ratings. Why not get the Celtics to push it to 7 games before pushing Miami over the top. Why not set up an epic Lakers vs Heat finals, and have the great Lebron, triumph over evil Kobe? Sounds like you're the first conspiracy theorist to step forward. Kudos to you.

hyb152
05-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Whether you're a fan of the knicks, lakers, heat, celtics, etc... at least most of us can agree that the NBA is indeed rigged.

Hellcrooner
05-13-2011, 03:18 AM
This thread is the same exact type of thread that was opened when someone asked if we thought the NBA was rigged. There were plenty of posters in there citing why they thought the NBA is just a show. I just want to know their thoughts on the outcomes so far.

The team that is the culprit of all conspirationism is still in the competition.
Repeat those words when they are ousted.

bklynny67
05-13-2011, 03:25 AM
Whether you're a fan of the knicks, lakers, heat, celtics, etc... at least most of us can agree that the NBA is indeed rigged.

agreed. biggest one this year was Blake Griffin winning the dunk contest. talk about rigged. that was a joke and no one can deny that **** was rigged.

abe_froman
05-13-2011, 03:31 AM
agreed. biggest one this year was Blake Griffin winning the dunk contest. talk about rigged. that was a joke and no one can deny that **** was rigged.

thats not an honor set down from on high though,thats voted on by the fans.so for that happening you guys cant blame stern,you only have yourselves to blame

stawka
05-13-2011, 03:35 AM
It's just bs excuses people make up for their teams just not being good enough...or bs reasons why teams they hate win

This. "ZOMG LeBron had 30 points. Number 6 goes into 30 5 times and the Ref wore number 5 broz". Ahhh just STFU and enjoy the game

znick21
05-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Talk about an inferiority complex. I mentioned more teams than just the Lakers but that's the only team you seem to be able to focus on. Get over it brah. You should just pay attention to your own team since nobody else does. They don't need their fans attentions focused on the Lakers.

i don't disagree with what you're saying at all, but you come off like a total dick head in this thread. this is a rhetorical question that you already know the answer to, yet you feel the desire to stir the pot just so you have some sort of excuse to talk about your team even though they're out of the playoffs. the nba clearly isn't "rigged", albeit flawed in some ways, but at the end of the day, you just come off like a douche. i'm out.

t2a2e9j12
05-13-2011, 06:43 AM
rigged yup who cares here comes lockout although it is odd how all the top seeds in the west are out clearing way for heat/bulls winner to the championship. i give 10 to 1 odds the bulls heat gets 5 times better ratings the the finals does know disrespct to the west but it is so true are the supersonics still in it or butler

save the knicks
05-13-2011, 06:59 AM
pshhh anytime some one looks at lebron wrong its a shooting foul

cambovenzi
05-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Where are the conspiracy theroist?

I have a conspiracy theory for you.

You paid off your English teachers.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Look, just because LA doesnt win every year, doesnt mean the officials call games even on both ends. Anybody who has watched the game since the Jordan era know the officials fawned all over the Bulls for the better part of a decade, and did the same with the Shaq/Kobe:LA teams. As a fan, I have seen that the officiating has been much better in the post Shaq/LA/MIA era, but I have still seen games were officials keep certain teams in of give them a clear advantage with the whistle.

Reversed86Curse
05-13-2011, 07:32 AM

How about you take it to the LAKERS forum, not the NBA forum where people don't want to hear the whining

Reversed86Curse
05-13-2011, 07:33 AM

I laughed...

PHX2daDEATH
05-13-2011, 07:57 AM
I dont think its rigged.. How do you explain Detroit winning a title with no Superstar..further more how do you explain Detroit beating a team with 4 HOFer's for the title? no way is it rigged , if had been Rigged we would of had a Kobe vs Lebron finals the last 3 years.. and this is coming from a Suns fan okay..about the Spurs..I'm sure Stern said.."hmm.. Phoenix or San Antonio? I could of have the upstart Suns who have changed the way the game has been played, who's style of basketball is so exciting to watch, led by their charismatic leader Steve Nash, OR i could have the Spurs who play a boring slow it down game and beat you on Defense, who's leader is about as exciting as watching world series of poker.. " Or maybe Stern isnt as smart as I think he is..Maybe he really did have it out for the Suns, rigged or not..the Guy still sucks as a commissioner. he's a liar. he was a damn lawyer. and he SUCKS

daleja424
05-13-2011, 08:17 AM
You see what you want to see. The only people can wrap their mind around temas like LA and Miami winning games is to suggest that the league wants them to win so they rig the games. Miami and LA don't win b/c they have the best basketball players on the planet, they win b/c Stern wants them too... DUMB

Geargo Wallace
05-13-2011, 08:46 AM

The good ones get thrown in the comparisons forum. Such weaksauce in the main.

Muttman73
05-13-2011, 09:05 AM
I do believe that the NBA is crooked, if so who do they really want to win this year?

No way it's Dallas or OKC

So look for Miami or Chicago to take it all

MagicHero3
05-13-2011, 09:14 AM
do we not remember the ref who was fired or w/e for BETTING and GAMBLING on NBA games in which he and his referee buddies all officiated?!?!? you dont think he was the ONLY one? U think that was the only case? this is ridiculous. Basketball is one of the hardest games to officiate and they are corrupting it based on other peoples interest. Since when do the fans have such little say in what they pay for?

JonnyBrav000
05-13-2011, 09:21 AM
According to you, the NBA is fixed. The refs are all instructed to help certain teams win. Like the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, and who ever else Stern wants to promote, or use to get good ratings. So obviously he orchestrated one L.A team not make the playoffs, the other to get swept in the second round. One New York area team not make the playoffs, and the other get swept in the first round. He wanted Boston to go out in a measly 5 games in the most anticipated playoff match in the post season. He wanted small market Memphis to beat the Spurs, and small market Oklahoma, playing for a chance to get to the finals. We know all this was set up because every year, you promote it as a fact that the NBA is the WWE for tall black guys.

So since we know none of this is real, I ask you to take the tin foil off your head for a second, and tell me why you think Stern wanted almost all his major markets out of the playoffs so early. Or is it only rigged when the team you hate, wins the championship?

Tin foil reference, you are such a corn ball and a fool. I bet you're one of those guys who thinks Kobe is better or just as good as Michael Jordan...smh

Anyway, the NBA is not "fixed" but it is heavily influenced. The refs do decide games many times, but it is still up to the players to make shots, however plenty of the old, "help teams win" and influence outcomes did not happen much this season and it has made for a better NBA season and playoffs. David Stern has probably realized this is not good for the league and the fans were starting to be turned off by the league and its antics.

There is no way Tim Donaghy acted alone, and there is no way he would not have been able to do what he did if that sort of culture did not exist in the NBA. He also referenced the 2000 and 2002 playoffs to have been tainted. You are just anti- fixed league because you are a Lakers fan and from the bottom of your heart you damn well know the Lakers were given that series vs. the Kings in '02 and the Trailblazers in '00. So hush up because the only reason you don't like it is because you know the Lakers have benefited from it. I was rooting for the Lakers this season but now I'm glad they were bounced, it's about time Dallas has a chance to shine.

Da Knicks
05-13-2011, 09:30 AM
The knicks are my team and yes the nba is rigged!

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 09:34 AM
i don't disagree with what you're saying at all, but you come off like a total dick head in this thread. this is a rhetorical question that you already know the answer to, yet you feel the desire to stir the pot just so you have some sort of excuse to talk about your team even though they're out of the playoffs. the nba clearly isn't "rigged", albeit flawed in some ways, but at the end of the day, you just come off like a douche. i'm out.

Name calling? Really? Grow up little boy.

So I'm a "dick head" and a "douche" because I asked the people who say the NBA is all an elaborate show, to explain the outcomes so far? Obviously I think it is not. But that doesn't change the fact that there are people out there who do. Look at some of the responses in this thread. They now think the Heat are being pushed down our throats. I ask them to explain to me why they think this show did not have more drama. Maybe the NBA needs better writers?

And how do I wanna talk about the Lakers? You are the same as the other guy. I mentioned big market teams. Including the Clipper, Knicks, Celtics and Nets. These big market teams are the ones that get accused of getting favorable calls, and players handed to them. Sorry if the Lakers happen to fall in that big market category.

twoearl
05-13-2011, 09:38 AM

GREAT GREAT GREAT POST! Thank you for bringing this up. I get so tired of people complaining about the Refs and how Stern wants this team to win or that team to win. Bottom line, saying a Ref is the reason you won or lost a game is a weak arguement and has no place in Professional Sports.

Now can a charging call or missed foul swing a game? Of course. But any great coach will tell you it's on his team to not allow the officials to be in a position to decide the game with a call, because it can go either way. Refs are human, they make mistakes...

BALLER R
05-13-2011, 09:39 AM
because it benefits them when it comes to the CBA? Hey small market teams can win :/ iuno??

midwestmadman
05-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Well obviously it's the Heat this year. If they beat Chicago which in real life without ref and Stern help they can't (0-3 so far) and won't. So if they do, let the conspiracy theories fly!

Hustlenomics
05-13-2011, 09:42 AM
do we not remember the ref who was fired or w/e for BETTING and GAMBLING on NBA games in which he and his referee buddies all officiated?!?!? you dont think he was the ONLY one? U think that was the only case? this is ridiculous. Basketball is one of the hardest games to officiate and they are corrupting it based on other peoples interest. Since when do the fans have such little say in what they pay for?

exactly, you gotta be dumb if you think Tim is the only crooked ref when you got clowns like Joey Crawford and Dick Bavetta running around

midwestmadman
05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Tin foil reference, you are such a corn ball and a fool. I bet you're one of those guys who thinks Kobe is better or just as good as Michael Jordan...smh

Anyway, the NBA is not "fixed" but it is heavily influenced. The refs do decide games many times, but it is still up to the players to make shots, however plenty of the old, "help teams win" and influence outcomes did not happen much this season and it has made for a better NBA season and playoffs. David Stern has probably realized this is not good for the league and the fans were starting to be turned off by the league and its antics.

There is no way Tim Donaghy acted alone, and there is no way he would not have been able to do what he did if that sort of culture did not exist in the NBA. He also referenced the 2000 and 2002 playoffs to have been tainted. You are just anti- fixed league because you are a Lakers fan and from the bottom of your heart you damn well know the Lakers were given that series vs. the Kings in '02 and the Trailblazers in '00. So hush up because the only reason you don't like it is because you know the Lakers have benefited from it. I was rooting for the Lakers this season but now I'm glad they were bounced, it's about time Dallas has a chance to shine.

:clap::clap: HERE, HERE! :clap::clap:

Tarheels23
05-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Ummm Miami has the two best players in the league. Chicago is probably the largest market the NBA has. Dallas is a HUGE market too. and OKC will advance and they bang out their building every night and also have a guy by the name of Kevin Durant who people across the country absolutely LOVE.

I'm not saying that the NBA is fixed, but I highly doubt that the NBA and Stern are upset with the (about to be) remaining teams.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 09:47 AM

The funny thing is that I know how to spell theorist. But my "smart phone" changes my words sometimes. Maybe I should read over my post. But thanks for pointing out a misspelling in an NBA forum. That's not nerdy at all......

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 09:52 AM
You see what you want to see. The only people can wrap their mind around temas like LA and Miami winning games is to suggest that the league wants them to win so they rig the games. Miami and LA don't win b/c they have the best basketball players on the planet, they win b/c Stern wants them too... DUMB

Exactly. People point to the free throw discrepancies in the Miami/Boston series, but neglect the fact that the Heat have the two most athletic ball handlers in the game who attack the paint at will. To them, they would rather think their team got robbed, and they would have won the ring if Stern didn't have an agenda.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Did you ever think that you feel this way because the Knicks have not won anything for almost 40 years? If you say I chose to feel sports are won by players and talent, just because I root for the Lakers and they have had success, can't I turn that on you and assume you want to believe its fake because the Knicks have not?

If CP3 goes to the Knicks this summer, and the Knicks win a ring, would you just turn off your t.v. and say "Man! I liked the ending to that show. Time to change the channel to Yo MTV raps" I guarantee you wouldn't. And as soon as someone came to you and suggested Stern rigged it so that the Knicks would be relevant again, you would point to the fact that they had CP3, Melo, and Amare and their talent was the reason they won.

Kashmir13579
05-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Stern can only do so much.... he can't help it if they get swept.

JonnyBrav000
05-13-2011, 10:46 AM

They do have some of the best players in the game, then add that to favorable officiating and you make it pretty damn hard for other teams to compete.

Lebron James hardly ever gets called for fouls, especially on a charge and that fast break against the Celtics the other night at the end of the game looked like a double dribble to me. But it's Lebron so he won't get called, its a superstar call, that's what the announcers say, total bs. Not saying the Heat would not have won that series, but lots of bs went on in those games. I bet Lebron could say he will kill the refs wife and he would not get thrown out of a game for something verbal, yet Paul Pierce does. It's the playoffs, since when do players get ejected for something verbal???

The Final Boss
05-13-2011, 10:50 AM
cool story bruh

Bruh? Lol... I know what you are...

JonnyBrav000
05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Did you ever think that you feel this way because the Knicks have not won anything for almost 40 years? If you say I chose to feel sports are won by players and talent, just because I root for the Lakers and they have had success, can't I turn that on you and assume you want to believe its fake because the Knicks have not?

If CP3 goes to the Knicks this summer, and the Knicks win a ring, would you just turn off your t.v. and say "Man! I liked the ending to that show. Time to change the channel to Yo MTV raps" I guarantee you wouldn't. And as soon as someone came to you and suggested Stern rigged it so that the Knicks would be relevant again, you would point to the fact that they had CP3, Melo, and Amare and their talent was the reason they won.

No, I wouldn't, if the Knicks won because of cheating I would not turn my head. Talent is talent but officiating can change a game. I would celebrate, yes I admit it but at the same time, I would not deny it if it were obvious, just like it was obvious when the Lakers beat the Kings and the Blazers in the early 2000's. I don't like the cheating, I wish games were more straight up, if they were then maybe other teams would have a shot at winning. Seems like you are admitting turning your head and pretending it doesn't happen is what you do. You turn your head because your team is just so unbeatable. Well in the past, not anymore. The Miami Heat is the new darling of the league. Just hope the Bulls are too strong for the league to bring them down.

ttam68
05-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Thunder vs. Heat provides more young stars. And it creates a good guys (Durant) vs. bad guys (Lebron) back story.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Stern can only do so much.... he can't help it if they get swept.

That goes against the logic of a conspiracy theorist. They think if Stern wants you to lose, you are going to lose. The Lakers were down 0-2 already and the refs called two ticky tack fouls on Kobe in the first 4 minutes of game 3. Taking him out of the game till the middle of the second quarter. If the Stern wanted to make it a longer series, his refs must not have gotten the memo.

Greet
05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Stern is confused. Osama dying wasn't part of his plan.

Kashmir13579
05-13-2011, 11:06 AM
That goes against the logic of a conspiracy theorist. They think if Stern wants you to lose, you are going to lose. The Lakers were down 0-2 already and the refs called two ticky tack fouls on Kobe in the first 4 minutes of game 3. Taking him out of the game till the middle of the second quarter. If the Stern wanted to make it a longer series, his refs must not have gotten the memo.
Stern threw in the towel after they lost 2 at home and Artest botched his citizenship award.

koLohe2133
05-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Heat shot 47 more fts than the celtics

Sterns golden boys are still in the playoffs

Heatwatch espn

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Thank you! :clap: post of the month!

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 11:19 AM
No, I wouldn't, if the Knicks won because of cheating I would not turn my head. Talent is talent but officiating can change a game. I would celebrate, yes I admit it but at the same time, I would not deny it if it were obvious, just like it was obvious when the Lakers beat the Kings and the Blazers in the early 2000's. I don't like the cheating, I wish games were more straight up, if they were then maybe other teams would have a shot at winning. Seems like you are admitting turning your head and pretending it doesn't happen is what you do. You turn your head because your team is just so unbeatable. Well in the past, not anymore. The Miami Heat is the new darling of the league. Just hope the Bulls are too strong for the league to bring them down.

2000? How was that series given to the Lakers? I have never heard anyone gripe about that series. 2002 had horrible calls in the 4th quarter. But just as angry as Kings fans were about that one quarter, I was angry about that whole series. The Kings shot way more free throws than the Lakers. Even though we had Shaq and Kobe who were an unstoppable big man and a great slashes who always attacked rack. And the Kings didn't have one guy who could break you down off the dribble and go to the rim. A jump shooting team getting more free throws than a team who lived in the paint boggled my mind. But I never thought that Stern wanted rigged it. I just thought the refs made some bad calls.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Stern threw in the towel after they lost 2 at home and Artest botched his citizenship award.

Lol regarding the Artest zing. I'm not saying he had to let the Lakers win, but wouldn't it be beneficial to have them win a couple games to make it a series, bring in more revenue, and get more viewers if these are his true intentions? If this is the proposed agenda of the league, they did a horrible job in the Lakers/Mavs, Celtics/Knicks, and Heat/Celtics series. If all they care about is the show, the drama, the money and the ratings, they did a horrible job of obtaining these things

mzgrizz
05-13-2011, 11:38 AM
exactly, you gotta be dumb if you think Tim is the only crooked ref when you got clowns like Joey Crawford and Dick Bavetta running around

Don't forget Violet Palmer !!!

Ronniebasco15
05-13-2011, 12:00 PM

i hate callin ppl idiots but.... ur dumb dont u think if the "fix was in" the celtics and lakers would have at least gone to game seven for better T.V. ratings and more ticket sales??????? bigger market teams being in the playoffs where all the money is?!?!?!??! sir your arguement or points are flawed:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::fac epalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::fac epalm:

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-13-2011, 12:07 PM
i hate callin ppl idiots but.... ur dumb dont u think if the "fix was in" the celtics and lakers would have at least gone to game seven for better T.V. ratings and more ticket sales??????? bigger market teams being in the playoffs where all the money is?!?!?!??! sir your arguement or points are flawed:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::fac epalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::fac epalm:

The irony of this post is hilarious to me. Talk about a flawed reading comprehension. You are making the same argument I am. I just did it in a sarcastic satire sort of way. Guess you didn't get it. And I'm the dumb idiot. Lol

JordansBulls
05-13-2011, 12:07 PM
When teams win handily, I don't think you can bring up the conspiracy theory. It is when the series are close and one team wins where that logic comes up which is why people say the 2006 finals was rigged or 2002 WCF and stuff like that.

gaughan333
05-13-2011, 12:49 PM
There is still plenty of time. And some of the calls against the celtics were bad. Maybe he just wants younger teams to be in the picture now?

mttwlsn16
05-13-2011, 12:54 PM

im sure he does, and im sure he realizes this belongs in the lakers forum :D

Brooklyn Mets
05-13-2011, 12:59 PM
so LeBron would have no competition going for his first ever Championship ring.. duhhh

no but seriously though.. who cares..

b_russ
05-13-2011, 01:32 PM
The refs can only do so much for the sucky teams... I kid I kid.

new york blue
05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Not that I think that those who run the NBA are the smartest people in the world, but why would they risk torching a billion dollar business to garner the revenue from an extra game or two? Once you start looking like professional wrestling, there is no way back.

And if there is real league interest in having big market teams make it to the finals, why have the Knicks only won twice, and not since 1973? Dolan might account for the last decade, but that leaves another 50 years.

For me, "ref-fixers" are like "birthers"--those who think that Obama is not an American citizen and McCain and Clinton would rather lose the most important race in their lives rather than challenge him.

I wonder if anyone who has ever been to a real college, and I don't mean Trump University, every believes any of this stuff.

sep11ie
05-15-2011, 03:33 PM
To the OP, Medenhall would love you...

Or would he...

gaughan333
05-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Not that I think that those who run the NBA are the smartest people in the world, but why would they risk torching a billion dollar business to garner the revenue from an extra game or two? Once you start looking like professional wrestling, there is no way back.

And if there is real league interest in having big market teams make it to the finals, why have the Knicks only won twice, and not since 1973? Dolan might account for the last decade, but that leaves another 50 years.

For me, "ref-fixers" are like "birthers"--those who think that Obama is not an American citizen and McCain and Clinton would rather lose the most important race in their lives rather than challenge him.

I wonder if anyone who has ever been to a real college, and I don't mean Trump University, every believes any of this stuff.

I take it you have not been to a real college. To answer your question though, yes. I went to real college and think that some series have been dramatically influenced by the referees.

TrueFan420
05-15-2011, 04:43 PM
When teams win handily, I don't think you can bring up the conspiracy theory. It is when the series are close and one team wins where that logic comes up which is why people say the 2006 finals was rigged or 2002 WCF and stuff like that.

true but all those phantom calls dont help either.

jerellh528
05-15-2011, 05:03 PM
im sure he does, and im sure he realizes this belongs in the lakers forum :D

why would this thread belong in the lakers forum?? its about nba conspiracy, not lakers conspiracy. Its not my fault that all the people in the nba forum just love talking about the lakers.

naps
05-15-2011, 05:16 PM
The team that is the culprit of all conspirationism is still in the competition.

:facepalm:

Are you not the one who thinks Pau Gasol is better than Kobe?

new york blue
05-16-2011, 06:54 AM
To answer your question though, yes. I went to real college and think that some series have been dramatically influenced by the referees.

I agree that some series have been influenced by refs. I agree that refs are biased. I would identify three forms.

1.) Home team bias.
2.) Superstar bias.
3.) Personal bias.

So not everyone will get the same call all the time.

Where I draw the line is that I do not think the league has any interest in
tampering with the game.

Think about it in terms of numbers. Assume 15 playoff series a year, each going an average of five games. I have been watching for about 30 years, and assume that refs get it right (i.e., do not effect the outcome of the game) about 99% of the time. That means that you would get about 20+ cases where refs influence the outcome of a playoff game. That roughly accords with what I have seen.

So, if you assume some minor human imperfections, highlighted by ref bias, it is easy to understand why you have bad outcomes without conspiratorial intention. :cool: