PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers: 'I'm Leaning Heavily Toward Coming Back'

Iodine
05-12-2011, 09:09 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/5/11/2166840/doc-rivers-im-leaning-heavily-toward-coming-back-boston-celtics
Immediately following the Boston Celtics 97-87 loss to the Miami Heat in Game 5 of their playoff series, Doc Rivers had to answer the question as to whether or not he was coming back for another year.

His answer? Probably.

"I'm leaning heavily toward coming back," said Rivers. "I haven't made that decision, but I can tell you, I probably will. I've kind of come to that over the last couple of weeks. You know I'm a Celtic and I love our guys. And I want to win again here. I'm competitive as hell and I have a competitive group."

Star-divide

As you can imagine, the Celtics players adore Doc and want him to return. Ray Allen announced after the game that he was officially coming back, Paul Pierce said Rivers "is a huge part of what the Celtics do moving forward," and Rajon Rondo summed it up for all of the major stars on the squad:

"I don't even want to imagine [not playing for Rivers]" said Rondo. "I really want him to come back ...I'm going to put this on record. Doc already committed, said he's coming back. He can't go back on his word."

Thoughts?

I honestly find it the opposite of tactful with Rondo's whole HE PROMISED ME!!! Thing, but overall he won't have to worry about having the players still want to play for him.

Baller1
05-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Doesn't surprise me. I figured he would.

Uncle Chuck
05-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Multi-year too. ESPN is speculating 4+ year contract

ETA: I like Doc, but don't think he is anywhere near an elite coach. Celts would have been better off keeping Thibs

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 09:23 PM
The Rondo comments were probably over the top, but you have to understand the situation. Rondo and Doc have had numerous conflicts over the past few seasons. Rondo saying something like that likely was meant to put that speculation to rest.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Multi-year too. ESPN is speculating 4+ year contract

ETA: I like Doc, but don't think he is anywhere near an elite coach. Celts would have been better off keeping Thibs

Doc is extremely tied to these players emotionally, especially KG. They love him. If he were to have left after last season, I really believe BOS would have totally came undone this year. His emotional value to the team is just so huge.

305sportsfan
05-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Doc's too much of a competitor to leave now. He knows his guys still have a great opportunity to compete.

Supreme LA
05-12-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't wanna see Doc go either. With the absence of Phil now, it's nice to keep some great recognizable coaches in the league. Doc shouldn't leave until KG leaves.

Man am I gonna miss Phil. :(

hyb152
05-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Doc is one of the best coaches in the NBA. Hope he stays.