PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Lebron fined for his "********" comment?

Uncle Chuck
05-12-2011, 06:30 PM
The NBA tends to fine anyone who says/does something they dont like with ease. Kobe being the most recent example. Coaches are fined anytime they comment on offciating, Teams have been fined over bench players standing on the sidelines too long, Players have been fined over little things like wearing shorts that are too long or posting on twitter following a game. So why did LeBron get off without a fine?

Is this a case of the NBA not fining its superstar or is this word acceptable to them?

mttwlsn16
05-12-2011, 06:36 PM
this will end well

SportsFanatic10
05-12-2011, 06:37 PM
this is ********

Raph12
05-12-2011, 06:42 PM
this is ********

you're ******** :p

ManRam
05-12-2011, 06:43 PM
It's a conspiracy.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 06:43 PM
I really think Lebron deserves no criticism for the comment. I know some people scream about political correctness, but common sense tells you that it's no big deal.

That being said, the NBA has set a presendent for fining people over these type of remarks, so I am curious as to why Lebron escaped.

SportsFanatic10
05-12-2011, 06:46 PM
you're ******** :p

haha good one!

210Don
05-12-2011, 06:47 PM
cuz he mumbled it and wasnt a man to actually say it out loud therefore the nba looked past it

SportsFanatic10
05-12-2011, 06:47 PM
he didn't direct it at anyone all it was was what he thought of the notion that wade is a dirty player.

John Walls Era
05-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Who cares... players swear all the time and the mics catch them. But they aren't fined. If Lebron got fined then that would be ********.

Uncle Chuck
05-12-2011, 06:51 PM
he didn't direct it at anyone all it was was what he thought of the notion that wade is a dirty player.

isn't the bottom line that someone was offended by his comment? Its not how a person ment the comment, but how the comment was recieved.

justinnum1
:facepalm:

Cal827
The difference with Lebron and Kobe is that Kobe uttered the homophobic slur directly at a referee. With Lebron's comments, it was at the question (which I believe was on Wade tripping Rondo and unintentionally dislocating his elbow). I mean a lot of us (minus the people in the Wade-You are going to get yours thread lol) didn't see the injury as intentional, Lebron probably felt the same way. Yes he should have said that the question was stupid, but it probably was just blurted out (others use that word over stupid all of the time).

It would be alot different if he said that into the Microphone if the Reporter had asked him. Then he should have been fined.

Mallpha
05-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Because it actually was ******** ? That lady took like 2 mins before to ask some question to Spo. Think LeBron comment was nothing more then just some innocent comment to a friend.

Uncle Chuck
05-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Who cares... players swear all the time and the mics catch them. But they aren't fined. If Lebron got fined then that would be ********.

Kobe just was...

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I have no idea, good question.

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 07:02 PM
maybe because he didnt directly call any one a ******, he just said that the question was ********. i dont think that has the same sting. plus its not like he swore or directly try to offend any one. if he was reffering to a disabled person then i could see him getting fined. but he was reffering to a statement or a question. cool your panties. lol

Master Mind
05-12-2011, 07:04 PM
I like turtles

Giraffes Rule
Kobe was fined for cussing out a referee. He wasn't fined for using an offensive term, he was fined because it was directed at an official. Had Lebron called an official ********, it would be a different story. The situation is totally different.

Uncle Chuck
The difference with Lebron and Kobe is that Kobe uttered the homophobic slur directly at a referee. With Lebron's comments, it was at the question (which I believe was on Wade tripping Rondo and unintentionally dislocating his elbow). I mean a lot of us (minus the people in the Wade-You are going to get yours thread lol) didn't see the injury as intentional, Lebron probably felt the same way. Yes he should have said that the question was stupid, but it probably was just blurted out (others use that word over stupid all of the time).

It would be alot different if he said that into the Microphone if the Reporter had asked him. Then he should have been fined.

They both seemed like under the breath comments to me. Kobe wasn't yelling it across the court, more muttering to himself and those nearby. Lebrons was muttered, but at the same time, he knew the mic would pick it up.

I would also think the settings of courtside vs press conference would have to play into this as well. Certain conduct is acceptable in the heat of the moment that doesn't have a place in the after game presser.

The following days, both players issued appologies. Meaning that they understood their actions were wrong. So Why does the NBA treat these similar situations in two entirely different ways?

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2011, 07:06 PM
because u touch yourself at night.

PhillyFaninLA
05-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Kobe used a horrible bigoted slur and Lebron said something that is just highly distasteful. I would have been ok with him getting a fine for this but Kobe showed his homophobia and made a horrible statement.

ImThatDude
05-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Because he was right, the was question was ********.

ManRam
05-12-2011, 07:10 PM
If you can't see how the Kobe thing is completely different from this than shame on you.

John Walls Era
Kobe just was...

Thats because he said that to a ref..... or do you not understand the difference?

John Walls Era
because u touch yourself at night.

**** what I said. Its actually this...

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I just dont think it matters where or how you say it, just that you said it.

groups advocating against this type of speech don't care if you say "********" on a court or at a press conference, they're just pissed that an athlete said it. They don't think anybody should say it, ever.

Geargo Wallace
05-12-2011, 07:16 PM
... because you kicked my dog you bustard!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cal827
05-12-2011, 07:16 PM
They both seemed like under the breath comments to me. Kobe wasn't yelling it across the court, more muttering to himself and those nearby. Lebrons was muttered, but at the same time, he knew the mic would pick it up.

I would also think the settings of courtside vs press conference would have to play into this as well. Certain conduct is acceptable in the heat of the moment that doesn't have a place in the after game presser.

The following days, both players issued appologies. Meaning that they understood their actions were wrong. So Why does the NBA treat these similar situations in two entirely different ways?

Didn't Steve Kerr overhear Kobe's outburst and direct the cameras off him for the children watching the game or something like that? I remember something like that happening during the game.

Geargo Wallace
05-12-2011, 07:19 PM
I just dont think it matters where or how you say it, just that you said it.

groups advocating against this type of speech don't care if you say "********" on a court or at a press conference, they're just pissed that an athlete said it. They don't think anybody should say it, ever.

How you say something means a lot. Writers like to single out sentences and words which often put players WAY out of context. He said it in the most harmless way you could.

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 07:20 PM
How you say something means a lot. Writers like to single out sentences and words which often put players WAY out of context. He said it in the most harmless way you could.

While I agree with you, these advocate groups don't. Maybe they didnt get wind of this and didn't pressure Stern to fine him though.

Nighthawk
05-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Fining Lebron would of been ********

Geargo Wallace
05-12-2011, 07:22 PM
While I agree with you, these advocate groups don't. Maybe they didnt get wind of this and didn't pressure Stern to fine him though.

so who cares? Why are we talking about any of this? I don't think there's any group that could take something so minor in offence.

Uncle Chuck
05-12-2011, 07:23 PM
If you can't see how the Kobe thing is completely different from this than shame on you.

I can see how they are different. But lets look the indisputable facts here. BOTH NBA players said something that certain people found to be offensive. While you can agrue degrees of offensiveness, I dont see how the NBA can support a 100K fine for one and no fine on the other.

ne3xchamps
05-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Because he muttered it and its not that big of a deal. all he said is that's ********. Not YOU are ********. Big difference. More rookies starting dumb threads... damnit.

John Walls Era
05-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Ok one person said it to a REF, while the other muttered it.... yeah but its the same :rolleyes:

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 07:27 PM
so who cares? Why are we talking about any of this? I don't think there's any group that could take something so minor in offence.

LOL yes there is dude, yes there is. Theyre out there and if they want to raise a stink, they can and will. and stern would crumble and appease them

ne3xchamps
05-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Ok one person said it to a REF, while the other muttered it.... yeah but its the same :rolleyes:

that wasn't aimed towards me was it? :confused:

ne3xchamps
05-12-2011, 07:29 PM
LOL yes there is dude, yes there is. Theyre out there and if they want to raise a stink, they can and will. and stern would crumble and appease them

this.

Geargo Wallace
05-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I can see how they are different. But lets look the indisputable facts here. BOTH NBA players said something that certain people found to be offensive. While you can agrue degrees of offensiveness, I dont see how the NBA can support a 100K fine for one and no fine on the other.

Any rational person would realize that what LeBron said was hardly offensive and harmless. The degree of offensiveness means a lot. It's like the difference btw me saying the "N" word while singing along to a DMX song VS. me spreading racial slurs to a black person. There's a HUGE difference.

mttwlsn16
05-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Fining Lebron would of been ********

your use of the word of instead of have is ******** :D

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 07:34 PM
... because you kicked my dog you bustard!!!!!!!!!!!!

KERPEL :confused: is that you my friend ?

godolphins
05-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Because the NBA agreed with his assessment

mttwlsn16
05-12-2011, 07:35 PM
im tired of all the politically correct ********, what kobe and lebron said neither was a big deal. i used the words "total fruitloop" today at work to describe someone i had a training class for work with...i dont see the big deal

Geargo Wallace
05-12-2011, 07:36 PM

regardless of what Stern "would" do, it doesn't change how harmless LeBron's statement was.

... I guess these advocate groups love LeBron and hate Kobe.

Geargo Wallace
05-12-2011, 07:37 PM
KERPEL :confused: is that you my friend ?

YOU KNOW DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!l!!!!

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 07:38 PM
regardless of what Stern "would" do, it doesn't change how harmless LeBron's statement was.

... I guess these advocate groups love LeBron and hate Kobe.

no these groups crusade against anybody saying the word "********", there's also groups who crusade against anybody using the word "gay" in a derogatory way.

they exist though, I've seen them on news shows before. They go around demanding apologies from people who say those words, especially high profile people like athletes.

John Walls Era
05-12-2011, 07:38 PM
that wasn't aimed towards me was it? :confused:

No. towards the OP.

llemon
05-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Because Lebron is obviously ******** also.

A savant maybe, but his NBA career would certainly lead the outside observer to believe Lebron has a developmental hinderment of some consequence.

It's just that everyone in the world is too busy kissing his bottom side to have dare mentioned it.

Uncle Chuck
05-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Just saying...

http://www.r-word.org/

Here is the ESPN PODCAST talking about the subject for those of you who are too lowbrow to understand the issue...

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/podcenter/?id=6529473&autoplay=1&callsign=KSPNAM&id=6529473&autoplay=1

Geargo Wallace
05-12-2011, 07:43 PM
no these groups crusade against anybody saying the word "********", there's also groups who crusade against anybody using the word "gay" in a derogatory way.

they exist though, I've seen them on news shows before. They go around demanding apologies from people who say those words, especially high profile people like athletes.

okay that's cool. But why does that matter if they exist or not? They said nothing. They didn't pester Stern. This just further proves that what LeBron said was nothing. I guess these groups have been too busy trying to find out if Andrea Bargnani is ******** or just can't learn how to rebound.

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
my point is that lebron and every athlete should watch what they say and choose the correct words to use because people can get offended and the NBa would have to punish them, like they did with Kobe.

Geargo Wallace
05-12-2011, 07:47 PM
my point is that lebron and every athlete should watch what they say and choose the correct words to use because people can get offended and the NBa would have to punish them, like they did with Kobe.

cool. I was answering the OP if you were mistaken.

PhillyFaninLA
05-12-2011, 07:49 PM
im tired of all the politically correct ********, what kobe and lebron said neither was a big deal. i used the words "total fruitloop" today at work to describe someone i had a training class for work with...i dont see the big deal

You do realize that literally 10's of millions of people minimum have died because of bigotry and bigoted comments. You do realize that racism leads to violence and people have been beaten and murdered for being gay.

I'm no sure what you consider a big deal but I consider large amounts of people being made miserable, beaten, or killed in the name of bigotry and close mindedness a big deal. Facebook and other social networking has led to the suicide of gay teens because the comments you don't think are a big deal.

I agree society needs to lighten up on many things, but as long as people are going to use slurs and commit crimes in the name of bigotry I think we need to understand that this is not a small issue.

justinnum1
05-12-2011, 08:07 PM
If you favorite player/person/role model/whatever had said this, how would you react? Seriously?

EaglesJackson10
05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
You do realize that literally 10's of millions of people minimum have died because of bigotry and bigoted comments. You do realize that racism leads to violence and people have been beaten and murdered for being gay.

I'm no sure what you consider a big deal but I consider large amounts of people being made miserable, beaten, or killed in the name of bigotry and close mindedness a big deal. Facebook and other social networking has led to the suicide of gay teens because the comments you don't think are a big deal.

I agree society needs to lighten up on many things, but as long as people are going to use slurs and commit crimes in the name of bigotry I think we need to understand that this is not a small issue.

What Kobe said has nothing to do with any of this. Him calling a ref a ****** has no effect on the people that your talking about. I think everyone needs to see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFloXOuLgA

That word obviously shouldn't be used in a scenario where it is being used as a deliberate attack but people's word shouldn't be censored out of fear that they might offend someone.

Yankees Suck
05-12-2011, 08:18 PM
If you favorite player/person/role model/whatever had said this, how would you react? Seriously?

^I would take a dump on my neighbors lawn and make sure someone saw me.

mttwlsn16
05-12-2011, 08:28 PM

wouldnt care, and dont care that lebron or kobe said what they did...

MalZee24
05-12-2011, 08:32 PM
cuz he mumbled it and wasnt a man to actually say it out loud therefore the nba looked past it

stop making spurs fans look like morons dude. your posts have gotten progressively dumber. "lebron wasnt a man to actually say it." no offense, but i'm pretty sure if u were to see him on the street and confront him, he could flick your 5'2 frame past george bush's house in crawford, all the way to dallas where the REAL texas team is playing.

PS: I'm not a mavericks/heat fan

Rafer17
05-12-2011, 08:42 PM
"You don't call ******** people retards. It's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they are acting ********."

-Michael Scott

PhillyFaninLA
05-12-2011, 08:53 PM
What Kobe said has nothing to do with any of this. Him calling a ref a ****** has no effect on the people that your talking about. I think everyone needs to see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFloXOuLgA

That word obviously shouldn't be used in a scenario where it is being used as a deliberate attack but people's word shouldn't be censored out of fear that they might offend someone.

99% of the time intent and timing matter the Kobe incident is in that 1%.

llemon
05-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Because Lebron is obviously ******** also.

A savant maybe, but his NBA career would certainly lead the outside observer to believe Lebron has a developmental hinderment of some consequence.

It's just that everyone in the world is too busy kissing his bottom side to have dare mentioned it.

Stunning.

I believe I have hit the nail exactly in the middle of its savant head.