PDA

View Full Version : Why is the fact that the Celtics have $30 million after next season ignored?

NYSpirit1
05-12-2011, 02:50 AM
In the year that Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and Deron Williams are free agents, the Celtics will have approximately $30 million to spend in cap.

Source: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

Yes, the team has Rajon Rondo, so they won't be getting Chris Paul or Deron Williams.

But why couldn't they get ready for after next year? For a team that everyone is saying is declining, they could easily reload the team.

Dwight Howard would be smart to join a young elite point guard in Rondo and a veteran in Pierce who could serve as a 3rd option. Say they re-sign Jeff Green long term, they'll have $22 million or so.

The Celtics could spend $15 million on Howard, then spend the rest of the $7 million on getting young role players who will be on the team for a long time.

Howard, Green, Pierce, Rondo and a bunch of role players could certainly be a contender. Who knows, maybe even Garnett and Allen would agree to resign at the minimum in this case to get another title.

NetsPaint
05-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Interesting, didn't know that. Are you sure?

Jaji
05-12-2011, 02:59 AM
Probably because its 2011 :shrug:.

DamnGoat
05-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Damn, so Deron Williams is going to be a FA twice in 2012? Some team is going to be very happy.

5ass
05-12-2011, 03:14 AM
rondo
allen
pierce
garnett
howard
would be deadly, especially with green off the bench filling in for pierce and garnett, he would play like 40 minutes a game. then get a back up to allen like michael pietrus or korver or whatever and then 2 ****** back ups for rondo and howard and ur probably going to win the championship.
but howard is not leaving orlando ;)

Raph12
05-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Because Pierce won't be the same and having two players to hack (Rondo/Dwight) during clutch moments won't go over too well... Btw OKC (depending on WB) and LAC will have capspace to sign a max guy in 2012 (both better destinations than Boston).

llemon
05-12-2011, 03:19 AM
rondo
allen
pierce
garnett
howard
would be deadly, especially with green off the bench filling in for pierce and garnett, he would play like 40 minutes a game. then get a back up to allen like michael pietrus or korver or whatever and then 2 ****** back ups for rondo and howard and ur probably going to win the championship.
but howard is not leaving orlando ;)

Allen, Pierce and Garnett would be pretty old by then.

JDMVP
05-12-2011, 03:31 AM
That would be sick for Boston, forget the BIG 3 just look at the combo of Rondo and Howard but I think Otis Smith would trade him before he becomes a free agent. Obviously teams from the NBA have learned from the CAVS,LeBron situation. Denver traded there superstar to the east look where it got them still in the playoffs. Same with Utah, traded Dwill to NJ and now they have bunch of draft picks and 2 lottery picks this upcoming draft. Orlando would really be dumb not to trade or at least try to shop him before he becomes FA.

D1JM
05-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Sources say baby Davis Is getting a fat raise

llemon
05-12-2011, 03:34 AM
That would be sick for Boston, forget the BIG 3 just look at the combo of Rondo and Howard but I think Otis Smith would trade him before he becomes a free agent. Obviously teams from the NBA have learned from the CAVS,LeBron situation. Denver traded there superstar to the east look where it go them still in the playoffs. Same with Utah, traded Dwill to NJ and NJ still had a chance to be the 8th seed even with a horrible record.

Nets finished 13 games out of the 8 spot.

CB29
05-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Sources say baby Davis Is getting a fat raise

he already got paid this summer and after this disappointing play-offs i doubt they're as eager to pay him as they were before...

Geargo Wallace
05-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Because star players today have this weird need to be either in the sun or in NY. It's called taking a vacation idiots.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-12-2011, 08:09 AM
lol its after the next season, when they have only 2 players under the contract(pierce and rondo)

Knickerbocker34
05-12-2011, 08:28 AM
wheres all the lakers fans at?.....no way Dwight would go to a team with :

Ray Allen-37
Kevin Garrnett-36
Paul Pierce-35

and rondo and dwight are a terrible mix cause the only thing rondo can do is drive and kick it out.... unless Dwight develops a 3(haha) there no ****ing way is makes sense for him to go there

DA FRANCHISE
05-12-2011, 08:50 AM
He'll b better with rose

CELTICS4LYFE
05-12-2011, 08:57 AM

Ray Allen-37
Kevin Garrnett-36
Paul Pierce-35

and rondo and dwight are a terrible mix cause the only thing rondo can do is drive and kick it out.... unless Dwight develops a 3(haha) there no ****ing way is makes sense for him to go there

yea cuz dwight cant catch alleys right? n there wouldnt b 3 other players on the floor right?

Knickerbocker34
05-13-2011, 03:34 PM
dwights not going to boston just get over it hes gunna be a laker

SteveNash
05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Because Boston is going to blow money trying to keeping this group together. Ainge is delusional and actually thinks this team has a chance.

210Don
05-13-2011, 04:15 PM
i doubt any big time free agent picks bostin to go too when you can go to knicks or nets

ManRam
05-13-2011, 04:17 PM
They'll have 2-3 players under contract if they stand pat, and there is no way will the cap figure be even close to what it looks now ($28M). They're gonna have a lot more players under contract when 2012 FA actually arrives.

Also, probably because that is so far down the road and players like Dwight, well, people are talking trades not FA...and there is nothing Boston could offer to get him in a trade.

Savage Sunday
05-13-2011, 05:37 PM
They'll have 2-3 players under contract if they stand pat, and there is no way will the cap figure be even close to what it looks now ($28M). They're gonna have a lot more players under contract when 2012 FA actually arrives.

Also, probably because that is so far down the road and players like Dwight, well, people are talking trades not FA...and there is nothing Boston could offer to get him in a trade.

You're right.

I would add in Jeff Green, but they'll own his bird rights and can sign them after using up all of their cap space similar to how Miami did with Haslem.

I kinda gut a feeling Boston is going to target the RFA's of the 2008 Class such as Kevin Love.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
You're right.

I would add in Jeff Green, but they'll own his bird rights and can sign them after using up all of their cap space similar to how Miami did with Haslem.

I kinda gut a feeling Boston is going to target the RFA's of the 2008 Class such as Kevin Love.

You cant get Kevin Love cause he's a RFA.

Wolves would match any offer.

Savage Sunday
05-13-2011, 05:46 PM
You cant get Kevin Love cause he's a RFA.

Wolves would match any offer.

Including the Max?

Purple&Gold24
05-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Ray Allen-37
Kevin Garrnett-36
Paul Pierce-35

Im right here

JB0B0
05-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Why? Because he can demand a sign and trade to the Bulls, Lakers, or OKC; teams that have better a nucleus and younger talent.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2011, 05:53 PM
During the season Garnett and Allen's expiring contracts could be valuable trade bait! And if NO or NJ feel pressured to ship their respective PGs, Rondo could be suitible trade bait!

Boston does have options to reload and skip a drawn out rebuilding process.

oak2455
05-13-2011, 06:14 PM
dwights not going to boston just get over it hes gunna be a laker

and CP3 a Knick:eyebrow:

oak2455
05-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Why? Because he can demand a sign and trade to the Bulls, Lakers, or OKC; teams that have better a nucleus and younger talent.

Or the Knicks:D

oak2455
05-13-2011, 06:16 PM
But back to the Celtic who wouldnt want to play for them, very good franchise...

gwrighter
05-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Probably because its 2011 :shrug:.

this.

Boston is going to need to sign players, they are waiting to see what the cap situation is going to look like before they sign anymore long-term deals.

llemon
05-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Because only Celt fans care right now.

Niro
05-13-2011, 08:15 PM
golden state tradeed alle außer curry und hiolen sich dann howard und sin dann wird ersmakl zerstlrt keute

SteelSox
05-13-2011, 09:11 PM
golden state tradeed alle außer curry und hiolen sich dann howard und sin dann wird ersmakl zerstlrt keute

That's what she said.

mlisica19
05-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Dwight Howard is not leaving Orlando. He has it made over their, the system they have is solid and is based AROUND HIM. Having two superstar players at PF and C never works, as it cloggs the middle too much.

I think he also learned from Lebron not to leave home land where your loved and your actually progressing as a team. Hes getting enough fame and excitement without Boston.

Catfish1314
05-13-2011, 09:50 PM

Actually Rondo's numbers were his best of the year when Shaq was healthy. He was more ridiculous than usual with him on the floor. Dwight's not Shaq, but physically he serves the same purpose. Having some girth like Dwight in the paint can be just as complementary to a guard as having jump-shooters like Garnett and Davis.

That said, it wouldn't make much sense for Howard to go to Boston. It will take more than Rondo, Dwight, Green, and role players to compete with Chicago and Miami in the coming years. Those teams will be very good for a long time.

DJakk
05-13-2011, 09:58 PM
This salary room is due to the fact that the Celtics would only have Pierce, Rondo, and Avery Bradley under contract. My expectation is that Jeff Green is still on the team with a salary closer towards $8,000,000. Ray Allen is very questionable as he is the oldest and has broken his record already. Kevin Garnett will probably stay around until he wins another championship or just falls apart completely. I expect that Garnett may be around, and in that case with another salary more towards $10,000,000. That leaves about $15,000,000 probably when the salary cap in the NBA raises, again. With that kind of money the Celtics could offer a player a Lebron/Wade/Bosh type contract from this year. Bringing in a player like Dwight Howard, would leave the team with a possible lineup of Rondo, Pierce, Green, Garnett, Howard. I don't know if you like the look of that, but I am confident that they would win a few games.

Lake_Show2416
05-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Howard said it himself, he doesn't look good in green

llemon
05-13-2011, 10:08 PM

Only words.

hgtiger32
05-13-2011, 10:43 PM

they play half in green so I think he could suck it up. Or maybe Boston could wear some black alternate ones to make him feel better

hgtiger32
05-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Noteable FA's in 2012 and 2013

2012:
Kirk Hinrich
JJ Hickson (RFA)
Danilo Gallinari (RFA)
Nene
Courtney Lee (RFA)
Brandon Rush (RFA)
OJ Mayo (RFA)
Michael Beasley (RFA)
Kevin Love (RFA)
Brooke Lopez (RFA)
Landry Fields (RFA)
JaVale McGee (RFA)

2013:
Josh Smith
Taj Gibson (RFA)
Stephen Curry (RFA)
Andrew Bynum
James Harden (RFA)
Serge Ibaka (RFA)
Brandon Bass
J.J. Reddick
Gerald Wallace
Tyreke Evans (RFA)
Demar DeRozan (RFA)
Devin Harris
Al Jefferson
Paul Milsap

So I didn't put CP3, Williams, or Howard on the list cause I wanted to talk about other possibilities. Bunch of options Celtics could go after.

Maybe have a lineup of
C-Al Jefferson
PF-Jeff Green
SF-Paul Pierce
SG-OJ Mayo/James Harden
PG-Rondo

Bunch of options there. Thoughts on some of the best lineups that the C's could put together with the free agents I listed above?!?

iggypop123
05-14-2011, 02:07 AM
not sure if that includes them resigning baby, and the raise that green is set for

SP17
05-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Dwight Howard is not leaving Orlando. He has it made over their, the system they have is solid and is based AROUND HIM. Having two superstar players at PF and C never works, as it cloggs the middle too much.

I think he also learned from Lebron not to leave home land where your loved and your actually progressing as a team. Hes getting enough fame and excitement without Boston.

come on man..be real..It would take a miracle for dwight to remain a magic next year.

Reversed86Curse
05-14-2011, 07:56 AM
not sure if that includes them resigning baby, and the raise that green is set for

Baby won't be back, book it