PDA

View Full Version : Celtics- What Now?

Jenceman
05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Where do they go from here? Give next year another go, or do they start a rebuilding process?

Savage Sunday
05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
This will be the question heading into the offseason.

210Don
05-11-2011, 09:57 PM
man who knows the bench is pretty good its the star players that are old what can you do...

Tragedy
05-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Blow it up.

But they probably won't. Another old Celtics team next year.

Sportfan
05-11-2011, 09:59 PM
no too much pride to switch everything around....unless doc retires, then there might be a chance

FriedTofuz
05-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Yet another celtics thread, this was expected. They resign jeff green and try to aquire younger pieces. The Celtics core is too old.

210Don
05-11-2011, 10:01 PM
no too much pride to switch everything around....unless doc retires, then there might be a chance

youve created a great team there!

camador22
They're all old and need a desperate revamp like LA.

JB0B0
There's no way this team gets past Miami or Chicago in the foreseeable future. Time to rebuild

Savage Sunday
05-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Wow I've got the same thread.

I say try again for 1 more year.

FriedTofuz
05-11-2011, 10:03 PM
I think its time to take a step back, shop their core except rondo and try to get younger.

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2011, 10:03 PM
i think it's a really tough decision. the Big 3 are all still very solid players, but clearly they can't win a title anymore.

Khalifa21
05-11-2011, 10:04 PM
I think they're probably gonna have to see these guys and their contracts out.

Pierce will retire a Celtic and other than Rondo (who I doubt they'd trade) they have no one of any real trade value.

NYMetros
05-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Need to make some kind of big move unless they want to be stuck in NBA purgatory for the next 20 years like they were after the Bird era. Just gonna get older & worse if there's a lockout next year.

It's not like they're ever gonna be in the running for a major free agent either. The Boston Bruins hockey team has a better chance of signing Dwight Howard or Chris Paul than the Celtics do.

Preacher
05-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Need to make some kind of big move unless they want to be stuck in NBA purgatory for the next 20 years like they were after the Bird era. Just gonna get older & worse if there's a lockout next year.

It's not like they're ever gonna be in the running for a major free agent either. The Boston Bruins hockey team has a better chance of signing Dwight Howard or Chris Paul than the Celtics do.
I hate you. And you're right.

Kashmir13579
05-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Dwight Howard.

koreancabbage
05-11-2011, 10:12 PM
use Green more in the offense, he did did crap in the regular season. He's the youth movement with Rondo.

For them to move forward, they need a new center who can give them defensive abilities. can't count on KG all the time.

Keep Green and USE him MORE! and a new center. that's all they need.

NYMetros
05-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Dwight Howard.

Why would he come to Boston?

godolphins
05-11-2011, 10:15 PM
There's no way this team gets past Miami or Chicago in the foreseeable future. Time to rebuild

Agree and I don't think they'll be able to beat NY too

still1ballin
05-11-2011, 10:15 PM
They need rest. They are still elite, they are still a championship contender and they will be there next year. They can tweak some things here and there. Everyone has been saying that the Spurs are done and old and they always surprise people.

Celtics, like the Lakers need to regroup and get some rest.

Gators123
05-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Time to break it up.

Jenceman
05-11-2011, 10:16 PM
I think they give it a go, and will probably end up with another top 3 seed. KG and Pierce will probably just retire there. I do agree they need to utilize Jeff more, and get a better, no so injury prone and sucky center too.

Hustlenomics
05-11-2011, 10:19 PM
lose big baby keep green. Get a young center

Pierzynski4Prez
05-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Trade Rondo while his value is at its peak, because as the Big 3 go down, his numbers, specifically the assist total, and value will go down as well. Also toss in the injury proneness. I think Ainge knows this as well, as Rondo has been rumored in deals before.

ichitownclowni
05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
They will aqquire young but keep most intact

Tony_Starks
05-11-2011, 10:26 PM
They need rest. They are still elite, they are still a championship contender and they will be there next year. They can tweak some things here and there. Everyone has been saying that the Spurs are done and old and they always surprise people.

Exactly man people are always going to overreact. Their core is going to ride it out its the bench players that will get revamped. Doc already said he's leaning toward coming back so as much as I hate the Celts they will be back in contention.

People are also forgetting that next season may very well be a short season which is like a dream come true to Lakers, Spurs, Boston....

DaBear
05-11-2011, 10:27 PM
I'll probably get heat for this, but blow up the team and try to get CP3.

Yes, get rid of Rondo in the process.

KnickNyKnick
05-11-2011, 10:27 PM
nah, the celtics need a center or a body like Perkins back. They gonna be good next year count on it. But the East will be difficult as well.

nysportsfan1025
05-11-2011, 10:28 PM
yea celts arent gonna blow it up .. and move rondo?? nahh man they will make a run at it next year but probably fall short again.. still top 5 or 6 team in the league

llemon
05-11-2011, 10:28 PM

Lakers are young, compared to the Celts.

Celts need to make some smart moves to remain competitive

DwayneMVPwade
05-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Start building around Rondo and Green. Try and trade big 3 to contenders to get young players.

Denver-boy
05-11-2011, 10:30 PM
They need a Center, trade KG before he contributes less and less, I know he's a big leader on the Team, but he also still holds alot Value, so trade em while he still does, I think Allen and Peirce can still do it, Rivers most likely leaves, so thats another blow, Try get another smart and tough coach like Rivers.... Keep Rondo!!! hes a Key, Keep Green!!!

Id go out and try to get Dwight Howard or Trade for Andrew Bogut!!!

sep11ie
05-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Trade Rondo while he has value. He'll be what he really is once he doesn't have Ray, KG, and PP around(a middle of the pack PG that can defend).

Trade Ray to a contender that could use a sharpshooting SG for some picks/young talent, such as the Bulls, Lakers, Magic. A good trade that would never happen would be Ray and Green for Bosh.

Ditch Baby and get a Carl Landry type back up PF till KG retires.

PP should still have a few good years left.

Stop signing over the hill O'Neils.

Denver-boy
05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Why would he come to Boston?

championships, Keep Dreaming New York Knicks fans!! :rolleyes:

sep11ie
05-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Oh yea, shoulda kept Tony Allen.

ChI_ShIzzLe
05-11-2011, 10:33 PM
We'll take Ray Ray.

Big Zo
05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
They'd be stupid not to blow it up now. They had a nice run, but they're not beating the Heat, Bulls, and maybe even the Knicks anytime in the foreseeable future.

bagwell368
05-11-2011, 10:36 PM

They made an offer and he didn't want to stay because of PT....

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
They need to blow it up IMO. Everyone is for sale.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 10:40 PM

We lost because our offense is anemic. TA does not help at all. MEM was a great situation for him because they had scoring all over, but no defense/glue guys. Resigning TA would have been a terrible move for BOS IMO.

topdog
05-11-2011, 10:41 PM
They've already started it seems with trading Perkins for Green. I say it's probably a transition year where they start searching for some younger pieces while Ray, Pierce and KG finish out their careers. Future lineup of?:

Rondo
?
Green
?
Kristic

JWO35
05-11-2011, 10:41 PM
I hope they don't hold onto their core too long like the Pistons...They need to realize unless drastic moves are made they won't get back to the NBA Finals

believeinNYK
05-11-2011, 10:42 PM
When do pp and KG and rays contracts expire

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 10:42 PM
i think it's a really tough decision. the Big 3 are all still very solid players, but clearly they can't win a title anymore.

Agreed. I think they have more value individually than collectively. I think some contending teams might be willing to give up some of their assets to get a guy like KG or Ray to put them over the top potentially. (I expect Pierce to retire a Celtic because his deal is rough. KG and Ray,on the other hand, are expiring which makes them very movable.) Neither is going to fetch a major haul though. Just a few young role players to at least start moving forward w/ is all I think can realistically be expected.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 10:44 PM

Pierce has 3 years left on his deal. Ray and KG both expire after next season.

YoungOne
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM

ray has an option for one more year, kg has one year left and pp 2+1 option

MrfadeawayJB
05-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I would try to get young players, ecspecially young big guys

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I'll probably get heat for this, but blow up the team and try to get CP3.

Yes, get rid of Rondo in the process.

A package centered around Rondo for CP3 is the only thing that would keep me from totally blowing it up. If BOS can pull that off (I give it less than a 10% chance though) then I think they're title contenders next year. Otherwise, just deal pieces off to contenders for a few chips.

Al Hughes
05-11-2011, 10:48 PM
They should resign shaq and sign derek fisher so they can start an old age home

-Al Hughes

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 10:50 PM
I hope they don't hold onto their core too long like the Pistons...They need to realize unless drastic moves are made they won't get back to the NBA Finals

this

AInge has said that he doesn't want to repeat what happened w/ the last Big 3 in BOS (held on to long, sucked for a decade). He'd rather deal it away a year too early than hang on and have nothing. I expect him to make moves.

yanksknicks
05-11-2011, 10:50 PM
To me, Rondo and Pierce are exactly what they need to move.

Rondo and Pierce to the LA Clippers for DeAndre Jordan, Eric Bledsoe and 2 #1.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 10:52 PM

If that's on the table yes please. But I doubt it is. That gives BOS more youth going forward and more cap flexibility as well. Again, I highly doubt LAC would be interested in that though.

topdog
05-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Pierce has 3 years left on his deal. Ray and KG both expire after next season.

Pierce's 3rd year is not guaranteed. So Ray can leave this year with his player option otherwise they could maybe deal him and/or KG at the deadline if they're going nowhere and reversify the youth for superstardom thingy.

Savage Sunday
05-11-2011, 10:54 PM

That only happened because they kept them for too long and nobody knows what would've happened if Len Bias didnt snort that poison.

Iggz53
05-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Blowing them up doesn't make any sense. Allen and Garnett are both under contract until 2012 (and Allen wants to accept). They at least owe it to those 2 to compete for another year, otherwise they would have no more interest in playing in general. They're still a great team, just need a competent center.

iliketurtles24
05-11-2011, 10:55 PM
trade ray and kg to where they were drafted, the wolves haha maybe for beasley others hahha

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Blowing them up doesn't make any sense. Allen and Garnett are both under contract until 2012 (and Allen wants to accept). They at least owe it to those 2 to compete for another year, otherwise they would have no more interest in playing in general. They're still a great team, just need a competent center.

They don't owe then anything. I'd be pissed if they sacraficed their long term future to accomodate Ray and KG's feelings.

Hustlenomics
05-11-2011, 10:58 PM

rondo and pierce for deandre jordan? that's horrible
try and sign deandre this offseason

ne3xchamps
05-11-2011, 10:59 PM
I think its time to take a step back, shop their core except rondo and try to get younger.

Rondo is our major trade chips. If I were danny ainge, I would see what is out there. Nobody is untouchable. I do like, however, that this FO wants to stay competitive instead of falling off the map for 2 decades.

llemon
05-11-2011, 11:00 PM

Ray Allen's option is a team option

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Agreed. I think they have more value individually than collectively. I think some contending teams might be willing to give up some of their assets to get a guy like KG or Ray to put them over the top potentially. (I expect Pierce to retire a Celtic because his deal is rough. KG and Ray,on the other hand, are expiring which makes them very movable.) Neither is going to fetch a major haul though. Just a few young role players to at least start moving forward w/ is all I think can realistically be expected.

yea i could see Ray getting traded and Ainge trying to make a move for a more dynamic 2 guard. and no way Pierce gets traded

ne3xchamps
05-11-2011, 11:02 PM

this. Hell even the previous FO of the c's held on to the original big 3 of bird, mcchale and parrish too long. Look at what happened in the late 80's into the early 90's.... nothing at all. Junk.

KmB728
05-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Make a trade for Cp3 with a package Of Rondo and Ray

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 11:03 PM
yea i could see Ray getting traded and Ainge trying to make a move for a more dynamic 2 guard. and no way Pierce gets traded

I'd be shocked if Ray isn't dealt this offseason. I also fully expect JO and his expiring deal to be moved by the trade deadline next year as well.

I think Pierce and KG both finish out their respective deals w/ BOS and retire.

Expect some Rondo rumors too, though I doubt anything happens w/ him.

Sportfan
05-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Rebuilding now, won't get anything accomplished, and it's going to hurt them more than help. The Celtics have been relevant for the first time in 20 years. They won't break it up through trade.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 11:05 PM
I've been rooting for the Cs to win it all obviously, but I've always, in the back of my mind, been eager to get to this point. I'm expecting a very interesting offseason from the Celts this year. I love the team building phase of sports so I'm extremely excited to see what Danny does.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Rebuilding now, won't get anything accomplished, and it's going to hurt them more than help. The Celtics have been relevant for the first time in 20 years. They won't break it up through trade.

If they keep everyone they just become irrelevant one year later, except w/ less pieces to build w/ moving forward.

Tony_Starks
Their best player is still young, being Rondo. If he were to actually get his butt in the gym this summer and develop a jump shot it would change the whole dynamic of the team and take the pressure off the aging players.....

ne3xchamps
Trade Rondo while his value is at its peak, because as the Big 3 go down, his numbers, specifically the assist total, and value will go down as well. Also toss in the injury proneness. I think Ainge knows this as well, as Rondo has been rumored in deals before.

you think rondo is injury prone, yet he goes out there game after game. He is the new version of iverson, little but tough as a bag of rocks.

ne3xchamps
05-11-2011, 11:10 PM
I've been rooting for the Cs to win it all obviously, but I've always, in the back of my mind, been eager to get to this point. I'm expecting a very interesting offseason from the Celts this year. I love the team building phase of sports so I'm extremely excited to see what Danny does.

its funny how you bring up what danny is going to do. In one of the celtic's threads, can't remember which one, 69centers had a link saying doc is interested and is probably coming back next year. Now the only way I see him coming back is if he knows danny has some moves up his sleeves. Either way, it should be an interesting offseason.

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2011, 11:11 PM
I'd be shocked if Ray isn't dealt this offseason. I also fully expect JO and his expiring deal to be moved by the trade deadline next year as well.
yea. That Monta Ellis/Ray Allen deal would make ALOT of sense now, even for both teams.

I think Pierce and KG both finish out their respective deals w/ BOS and retire.
yea for sure.

Expect some Rondo rumors too, though I doubt anything happens w/ him.

yea if i was Ainge i'd try hard as hell to try and swing something like Rondo, Ray Allen, Kristic for CP3 and Okafor.

Savage Sunday
05-11-2011, 11:12 PM
They don't owe then anything. I'd be pissed if they sacraficed their long term future to accomodate Ray and KG's feelings.

You're the same guy who wanted them to blow the Celtics up last summer to sign..........

*drum roll please*

Rudy Gay.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 11:12 PM
its funny how you bring up what danny is going to do. In one of the celtic's threads, can't remember which one, 69centers had a link saying doc is interested and is probably coming back next year. Now the only way I see him coming back is if he knows danny has some moves up his sleeves. Either way, it should be an interesting offseason.

I think that might be more emotion speak from Doc, but we'll see. I think Ainge makes some major moves this offseason. It remains to be seen whether they make us better or start the rebuilding process. I think he could deal pieces off for assets moving forward, but could just as easily pursue a Rondo to CP3 upgrade through trade. We'll see...

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 11:13 PM
You're the same guy who wanted them to blow the Celtics up last summer to sign..........

*drum roll please*

Rudy Gay.

Yes. Although that's an extreme oversimplification.

Savage Sunday
05-11-2011, 11:13 PM
yea. That Monta Ellis/Ray Allen deal would make ALOT of sense now, even for both teams.

yea for sure.

yea if i was Ainge i'd try hard as hell to try and swing something like Rondo, Ray Allen, Kristic for CP3 and Okafor.

What sense does a Monta for Ray Allen deal make for Golden State?

Come on man. Those owners arent stupid.

Monta is the Warriors best player and he and Steph Curry have worked well together.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 11:15 PM

yea for sure.

I don't like Monta. His deal is a killer for me. I think that type of money to guys like him while you're trying to rebuild leave you stuck as a lower half seed that loses 1st/2nd round every year.

That CP3 deal is very interesting. My problem is that I think by taking on Okafor long term you lose the cap flexibility to make CP3 want to stay. Then you're left w/ just Okafor for Rondo. :puke: The only way I deal for CP3 is if the deal leaves enough flexibility to be able to add Dwight. That's doable, though extremely unlikely IMO.

Savage Sunday
05-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Yes. Although that's an extreme oversimplification.

You catch my drift.

You've been clammering for awhile now to blow this team up as if doing so guarantees they wont go through another irrelevant 20 years.

Dude, there is not much value out there for these guys. You're only going to get back a few late picks, but chances are the Celtics will be down for awhile.

Sportfan
05-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Allen won't get traded

Sadds The Gr8
I don't like Monta. His deal is a killer for me. I think that type of money to guys like him while you're trying to rebuild leave you stuck as a lower half seed that loses 1st/2nd round every year.
i don't blame u for not liking him, but i think he'd be a perfect fit on a team like Boston. Dynamic scorer, and his defensive issues would be hidden (i actually think he'd be a WAY better defender on Boston due to motivation). He wouldn't chuck as much as well with Doc, KG, and Pierce being in his ear all the time. The Celtics desperately need a slasher, and he's the prototypical slasher. He would be #1 scoring option, but he wouldn't take as much shots as he does on GS because there'd be alot of scoring options around him.

That CP3 deal is very interesting. My problem is that I think by taking on Okafor long term you lose the cap flexibility to make CP3 want to stay. Then you're left w/ just Okafor for Rondo. :puke:
yea that's true. it's more of a risk thing to try and get a couple more titles for KG/Pierce. But if it means that CP3 has a couple great chances at winning a title(s), i think he'd take it.

hugepatsfan

Come on man. Those owners arent stupid.

Monta is the Warriors best player and he and Steph Curry have worked well together.

A Monta and Curry backcourt just isn't championship level. Not complimentary enough. Ray gives the the ability to put the Monta deal in the past because he is expiring. Saves them a ton of money and gives them flexibility w/ the cap moving forward.

ElMarroAfamado
05-11-2011, 11:21 PM
i dont understand how you can have a nasty picture of someone throwing up .....yet some people get reprimanded for saying the "Darndest" thing s haha

hugepatsfan
You catch my drift.

You've been clammering for awhile now to blow this team up as if doing so guarantees they wont go through another irrelevant 20 years.

Dude, there is not much value out there for these guys. You're only going to get back a few late picks, but chances are the Celtics will be down for awhile.

I agree. They are not in great position moving forward unless they can somehow get Dwight to come (pipe dream IMO). I'd rather have those late picks than not. I am fully convinced that if BOS makes another run they'll just fall short again. I'd rather just skip that and rebuild w/ a few more assets than we otherwise would have.

ne3xchamps
I think that might be more emotion speak from Doc, but we'll see. I think Ainge makes some major moves this offseason. It remains to be seen whether they make us better or start the rebuilding process. I think he could deal pieces off for assets moving forward, but could just as easily pursue a Rondo to CP3 upgrade through trade. We'll see...

yep, stay tuned....

sharqstealth
05-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Switch players with the Lakers, maybe you guys could help each other out!

llemon
05-11-2011, 11:27 PM
A Monta and Curry backcourt just isn't championship level. Not complimentary enough. Ray gives the the ability to put the Monta deal in the past because he is expiring. Saves them a ton of money and gives them flexibility w/ the cap moving forward.

Why would Warriors want Ray Allen when they could trade Monta for capspace and draft picks?

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Why would Warriors want Ray Allen when they could trade Monta for capspace and draft picks?

I didn't say that the trade will happen. I just said it's not an offer that GS will hang up on. An expiring for Monta is definately something I'd be interest in if I were GS. It would probably take Ray and picks. But I don't really have any interest in that from BOS's perspective.

ne3xchamps
05-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Switch players with the Lakers, maybe you guys could help each other out!

:laugh2:.....NO.

llemon
05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I didn't say that the trade will happen. I just said it's not an offer that GS will hang up on. An expiring for Monta is definately something I'd be interest in if I were GS. It would probably take Ray and picks. But I don't really have any interest in that from BOS's perspective.

Sorry, the premise of that trade is ridiculous from Warriors POV.

But you are a Celts fan, so I understand.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Danny try and target OJ Mayo from Memphis. He loves athletic players and MEM has shown a willingness to move Mayo. I'm not sure how the pieces would work, but I can see Danny pursuing it.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Sorry, the premise of that trade is ridiculous from Warriors POV.

But you are a Celts fan, so I understand.

You realize that it was proposed in this thread by a Raptors fan. And it has been a rumored trade in the past. When Ray was an expiring last year this was a heavily rumored deal at the deadline.

meloman1592
05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Time to build around rondo and feature jeff green more. The "big three" should be getting shopped soon or relegated to the bench. Except probably KG...he's a solid starter for another 2 yrs or so

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Ray Allen would compliment Curry and GS system perfectly. Ray doesn't dominate the ball and can just come off screens and shoot. Do you know how deadly a Curry/Allen backcourt would be? that's disgusting.

no they haven't worked well together. Ellis is clearly hindering Curry's growth because he hogs the ball way too much. If they've worked well together then the team would be more successful. They don't compliment each other at all, and a Curry/Ellis backcourt is way too small and terrible defensively.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Ray Allen would compliment Curry and GS system perfectly. Ray doesn't dominate the ball and can just come off screens and shoot. Do you know how deadly a Curry/Allen backcourt would be? that's disgusting.

no they haven't worked well together. Ellis is clearly hindering Curry's growth because he hogs the ball way too much. If they've worked well together then the team would be more successful. They don't compliment each other at all, and a Curry/Ellis backcourt is way too small and terrible defensively.

Not to mention the money GS saves as well. That's probably the biggest reason why they'd make the deal.

I don't like it for BOS, but I just take exception to being called a homer for discussing a personably reasonable deal that has been rumored already before.

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Danny try and target OJ Mayo from Memphis. He loves athletic players and MEM has shown a willingness to move Mayo. I'm not sure how the pieces would work, but I can see Danny pursuing it.

that'd be a nice pickup too. Mayo is an RFA...I don't think the Celtics would have to over-pay alot either because the Griz clearly don't want him. I think an S&T Mayo for Ray Allen would be another nice move. Memphis desperately needs more outside shooting.

SP17
05-11-2011, 11:38 PM
I think 1 more year coz after that they will lots of salary cap.

$ NyC $
05-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Are they legends? Yes. But the thing is the East is becoming legit and are pretty young as well. Other teams are becoming beasts with young players and the Celtics just can't keep up i think anymore. Still a great team but even Rondo is breaking down. Start rebuilding while your core still has great value.

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Not to mention the money GS saves as well. That's probably the biggest reason why they'd make the deal.

I don't like it for BOS, but I just take exception to being called a homer for discussing a personably reasonable deal that has been rumored already before.

yea GS would save tons of $. I already explained why i think the trade would be good for boston.

WadeCounty
05-11-2011, 11:50 PM
leave the team as is, get a real young center and go at it again. Lets face it if this celtics team could not take on the heat what other available combination of players will be able to. Get a better bench and a center and keep on. In 2 years ask me this again and then i'll say to rebuild. Any young core just will not be able to take the bulls or heat. Not trying to sound full of it or anything just my opinion

cubswin25
05-11-2011, 11:52 PM

True, but a lot of teams will be after him this off season including the Bulls, Pacers and others. So like you said I dunno how Ainge will be able to pull that off. As for the Celtics future, I think they will bring everyone back and try to upgrade the role players. Add a better big man, another defender off the bench and maybe some other things. But IMO that won't work and the Celtics will probably be 3rd or 4th in the East and out of the playoffs in the second round again next year. The Celtics are in a tough spot on, because their best days are behind them. But they are still good, so it's hard to break up a good team to make them a bad one, even if it's the best long term thing to do. A good example of the position the Celtics currently are going to be is what we saw from the Pistons. From 03-08 the Pistons made it to the ECF or Finals every year, and won a NBA Championship. But by 07-08, everyone knew their best days were behind them, and they weren't gonna get to the finals anymore. So we had to watch that game slowly die and the same thing will happen to the Celtics if they don't make major changes. But that's hard to do and still win. Unless you have good draft picks, cap space or expiring contracts. So the Celtics basically have a choice to rebuild/firesale or be good, but no longer good enough. Because any idea of trading for CP3, or Howard or whoever are pipedream stuff and not realistic.

There's a reason why teams are usually bad for a while, once their star players get old. It happen to the Lakers, Pistons and Celtics in the 90s, after they dominated the 80s. It happen to the Bulls in the 2000s after they dominated the 90s and the Knicks as well. The only teams I can't really think it didn't happen to is the Spurs, but that's because they got lucky. They were pretty good in the 90s, but stayed good and got better. Due to David Robinson getting hurt one season and the Spurs being bad, along with getting lucky with the ping pong balls as well. But the Spurs being a top team is coming to a end now too. Were basically seeing a transition between the young and older NBA teams right now.

Giants-49ers-Ws
05-11-2011, 11:53 PM
they need to blow it up..they cannot get past the heat and bulls in the future playoffs as currently constrcuted

RB#20
05-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Keep the team the same. It's no time to panic. They were in every game with an inconsistent bench and their star PG who was playing with a broken arm. Let the Big 3 retire in Boston. Get rid of Baby or sign and trade him in a package deal including some draft picks and another player or two for a player like Andrew Bogut and sign some younger free agents. Not only use Green and Kristic more, but give Avery Bradley more playing time. He was a first round pick last year there is no reason for him not to be out on the court.

godolphins
05-11-2011, 11:56 PM
It was stupid to trade away Perkins :facepalm:

llemon
yea GS would save tons of $. I already explained why i think the trade would be good for boston.

Again, Warriors could just trade him for capspace and draft picks and not have to worry about Allens $10 mil salary.

That saves Warriors more money AND gets them draft picks.

An Allen for Monta trade is preposterous.

Sportfan
they need to blow it up..they cannot get past the heat and bulls in the future playoffs as currently constrcuted
why is that?

Sportfan
05-11-2011, 11:57 PM
lol.

care to explain how the loss of Perkins explains our offensive woes? we've been just as good on defense without perk

llemon
05-11-2011, 11:57 PM
You realize that it was proposed in this thread by a Raptors fan. And it has been a rumored trade in the past. When Ray was an expiring last year this was a heavily rumored deal at the deadline.

Yeah, rumors are nice.

Jaji
05-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Blow it up. This team was built to win "now"... then. But now its a new now. Miami has proven to be superior. They can't bring the same squad to South Beach next year and expect different results. If one guy is safe out of the Big 3 (Rondo isn't going anywhere) its Pierce, the OC (original Celtic). KG is a bum and I hope he gets traded back to Minnesota or some other garbage team. Jesus is my boy so hopefully he goes to a playoff team.

RB#20
05-11-2011, 11:58 PM

It was the right move to trade Perkins. He is not, nor ever will be worth 10mil a year.

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Again, Warriors could just trade him for capspace and draft picks and not have to worry about Allens $10 mil salary.

That saves Warriors more money AND gets them draft picks.

An Allen for Monta trade is preposterous.

how is it preposterous? Boston can throw in picks too...Plus, Allen is expiring after next season anyways. And I already mentioned that he'd be a perfect fit for the team.

Blow it up. This team was built to win "now"... then. But now its a new now. Miami has proven to be superior. They can't bring the same squad to South Beach next year and expect different results. If one guy is safe out of the Big 3 (Rondo isn't going anywhere) its Pierce, the OC (original Celtic). KG is a bum and I hope he gets traded back to Minnesota or some other garbage team. Jesus is my boy so hopefully he goes to a playoff team.

:facepalm:

*Silver&Black*
05-12-2011, 12:02 AM
I think they have another year of being a title team if they can somehow trade for a young big and a bench guard that can play both positions (like a Mayo) for Rondo and Ray.

RB#20
05-12-2011, 12:04 AM

You're a ****ing ******. To give you a :facepalm: would be an insult to the :facepalm:

cubswin25
05-12-2011, 12:07 AM
if they can somehow trade for a young big and a bench guard that can play both positions (like a Mayo) for Rondo and Ray.

That's not going to happen though, because nobody is gonna trade good young players for good old players. If they trade Allen or Garnett or whoever, what they are going to get in return is draft picks, or young players with potential or upside. They aren't gonna get guys who are likely going to be better then Allen or Garnett next season. So there's not much they can do rebuilding on the fly wise to put them over the top. Unless they get really lucky, but you can't count on that. Because nobody is going to want a Ray Allen unless they are a contender thinking he will put them over the top. So a team like the Mavs, Bulls, Thunder or say Magic. Would want to make a deal for a guy like Allen, and they aren't going to give up any key players to get him. It would be draft picks, and younger guys they have on the roster with upside.

yankkiller
05-12-2011, 12:08 AM
personally im a boston fan what i would love to see is us package jeff green and glen davis, Sasha Pavlovic, and some draft picks to the griz for gudy gay

imagine that lineup then

PG Rondo
SG Pierce
SF Gay
PF Garnett
C J.O'Neal

Bench
PG West
SG Allen
F/C Krstic
F/C S.O'Neal

Arch Stanton
05-12-2011, 12:10 AM
I think they should blow it up. Start over. But if they do keep the team together they're gonna need a real center. Not JO, Shaq, or Krystic.

Master Mind
05-12-2011, 12:11 AM
personally im a boston fan what i would love to see is us package jeff green and glen davis, Sasha Pavlovic, and some draft picks to the griz for gudy gay

imagine that lineup then

PG Rondo
SG Pierce
SF Gay
PF Garnett
C J.O'Neal

Bench
PG West
SG Allen
F/C Krstic
F/C S.O'Neal

Gay's salary cripples any deal with the C's

uprightciti
05-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Sign an trade big baby for some raw young guns keep the core
Kg is untradeable and allens contract is to large for the best wing man in the league
Or...whatever 2012 is the rebuild and I think the perk nate trade is what lost them this miami
Series

cubswin25
05-12-2011, 12:14 AM

But why would the Grizzlies wanna do that? They just resigned Gay to a big contract last off season and next year they will see him as the missing piece to take them to the next level. So if there going to trade Gay, it's going to be for a similar player in return. Not a solid role player and bench guys like that.

Jaji
05-12-2011, 12:15 AM
You're a ****ing ******. To give you a :facepalm: would be an insult to the :facepalm:

I don't like KG. I wouldn't take him on my team if you paid me. Not saying he sucks as a player, just as a human being.

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Pierce, Allen, and Garnett will retire Celtics. Not only would it be ****ed up if they trade them, no team would give that much for them since they are aging.

They can easily still contend. They have two good young players in Rondo and Green, thats a start. They need to surround this team with young players, plain and simple. Getting Shaq and JO was a mistake imo, especially JO. They should of used that money on a yound player like Wesley Matthews.

Because the Celtics bench looked like a hospital, its obvious they need to get younger

Tony_Starks
05-12-2011, 12:16 AM
You guys that keep saying blow it up are aware that seriously is not going to happen right? This isn't a video game, and there's no way Doc would come back to coach a whole new cast of characters. You can bet your bottom dollar the big 4 will be there for at least one last try......

Master Mind
05-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Pierce, Allen, and Garnett will retire Celtics. Not only would it be ****ed up if they trade them, no team would give that much for them since they are aging.

They can easily still contend. They have two good young players in Rondo and Green, thats a start. They need to surround this team with young players, plain and simple. Getting Shaq and JO was a mistake imo, especially JO. They should of used that money on a yound player like Wesley Matthews.

Because the Celtics bench looked like a hospital, its obvious they need to get younger

This.

gotoHcarolina52
05-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Celtics need to find a way to land a Center. How about Ray Allen and a pick for Nene?

Rondo
Pierce
Green
Garnett
Nene

Jaji
05-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Man some of you guys are slow on this site. Get off your damn computers and talk to some real actual human beings and you won't be so socially inept. Taking everything so literal. Effing robots :laugh2:. Droooiiiidddd.

llemon
05-12-2011, 12:19 AM
how is it preposterous? Boston can throw in picks too...Plus, Allen is expiring after next season anyways. And I already mentioned that he'd be a perfect fit for the team.

Geez, does Allen fit in because Warriors are starting a retirement squad?

Absolutely ridiculous.

tbone2171
05-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Would love to see KG take a vet minimum and sign w/ the Heat

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 12:23 AM
I don't like KG. I wouldn't take him on my team if you paid me. Not saying he sucks as a player, just as a human being.

How can you say he sucks as a human being when you've only known him as a basketball player on TV? You can say that he's a dirty player and that you hate how he represents professional athletes as a result, but to call him a bad human being is just ridiculous.

Jaji
05-12-2011, 12:23 AM
I want to see KG go to the Heat

:puke:

tbone2171
05-12-2011, 12:24 AM

Yeah, he really sucks as a human being :rolleyes:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2221292

Garnett is donating $1.2 million to build homes for victims in the New Orleans area and throughout the Gulf Coast region that was leveled by the hurricane in August.

This is just one example of many charitable things he has done...KG did a ton of good things for the Twin Cities while w/ the Timberwolves.

Jaji
05-12-2011, 12:24 AM
How can you say he sucks as a human being when you've only known him as a basketball player on TV? You can say that he's a dirty player and that you hate how he represents professional athletes as a result, but to call him a bad human being is just ridiculous.

Doesn't KG the human being play basketball? What he leaves his soul and morals in the locker room? Get real. Guy's an :moon: hole. Calling Charlie V a cancer patient? My sister is battling cancer right now. Eff KG!

Jaji
05-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Yeah, he really sucks as a human being :rolleyes:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2221292

He donated a small percentage of his ridiculously inflated salary? :cry:

KG has made over a $100 million in his career. That's less than 1%. That's pennies to him. One act of kindness makes up for a career of :moon: holeness? I'm not buying it.

tbone2171
05-12-2011, 12:28 AM

KG has made over a $100 million in his career. That's less than 1%. That's pennies to him. One act of kindness makes up for a career of :moon: holeness? I'm not buying it.

See my edit..

Car Ramrod
05-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Trade for a Gasol. Pau would allow them to dump some money and who knows what he can do actually playing with a point guard. Marc could be done in a sign and trade. They are both rarely injured as well.

Jaji
05-12-2011, 12:30 AM
See my edit..

Still a douche in my book. Plus he plays for Boston. Ewwww.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Doesn't KG the human being play basketball? What he leaves his soul and morals in the locker room? Get real. Guy's an :moon: hole. Calling Charlie V a cancer patient? My sister is battling cancer right now. Eff KG!

That was bad and I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I wish her the best.

But I've called someone a ****** before. I've said f**. Does that make me a bad person or a terrible human being? I don't think so. KG was obviously wrong in that, but I'm not going to be a hypocrite and chastize him for doing something I've done many times before.

As for any of the other stuff... I don't think waving a finger in Jose Calderon's face makes a guy a terrible human being. KG has never gotten into any legal trouble that I know of. He's a freakish competitor on the court, but I really don't have any reason to believe he's a bad person.

tbone2171
05-12-2011, 12:35 AM

off the subject, but weren't you the dude that had a banner saying you smoke weed? Nothing wrong w/ that, but come on bud..you really trying to impress a bunch of internet rubes by announcing that?

Master Mind
05-12-2011, 12:37 AM

Damn that's tough. Hate to hear that about anyone.

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 12:40 AM
why not get a package together to pursue Russel Westbrook (if Thunder trade him), CP3, Dwight, and other good players that will become available?

I'm one of the people who think big moves need to be made. "blow it up" is a bit drastic but big moves need to be made.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 12:43 AM
why not get a package together to pursue Russel Westbrook (if Thunder trade him), CP3, Dwight, and other good players that will become available?

I'm one of the people who think big moves need to be made. "blow it up" is a bit drastic but big moves need to be made.

I doubt OKC would be interested in moving Westbrook for Rondo. And I'm not sure I really want to build around Westbrook anymore than I do Rondo.

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 12:46 AM
I think if you get the chance to acquire a young, athletic star on the rise like westbrook, you should go for it. but what you really need is a big man, I dunno where you'd find him. Dwight Howard is a long shot and every team in the NBA will be after him. so chances are slim.

Jaji
05-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Damn that's tough. Hate to hear that about anyone.

Thanks man.

Master Mind
05-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Thanks man.

:hi5:

Jaji
05-12-2011, 12:56 AM
That was bad and I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I wish her the best.

But I've called someone a ****** before. I've said f**. Does that make me a bad person or a terrible human being? I don't think so. KG was obviously wrong in that, but I'm not going to be a hypocrite and chastize him for doing something I've done many times before.

As for any of the other stuff... I don't think waving a finger in Jose Calderon's face makes a guy a terrible human being. KG has never gotten into any legal trouble that I know of. He's a freakish competitor on the court, but I really don't have any reason to believe he's a bad person.

Thanks. And I see what you're saying. But I don't like him because I think he's a dirty player and he has a rep around the league for being a jerk. Plus he plays for Boston, which just adds to it. But there isn't one thing I like about the guy. Not even his game. I think he's soft for a PF. 5 FT attempts per game means he rarely ventures into the paint. He's a fake tough guy. Yelling "choke" at Brad Miller a few years ago against the Bulls? Really KG? Aren't you the guy who it took 10 years to get out of the 1st round? Couldn't win a thing until you got 2 other HOFers around you. Just google "Kevin Garnett" and "jerk" and see what pops up lol. This isn't an isolated opinion.

Lakerhead4ever
05-12-2011, 01:09 AM
why blow up a championship team? they were injured most of the season.

i say keep the core, add pieces.

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Geez, does Allen fit in because Warriors are starting a retirement squad?

Absolutely ridiculous.

so because he's old he can't join a young team?:facepalm: ever heard of veteran experience?

llemon
05-12-2011, 01:17 AM
so because he's old he can't join a young team?:facepalm: ever heard of veteran experience?

Not in exchange for Monta he can't.

Maybe Allen for Biedrins

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Not in exchange for Monta he can't.

Maybe Allen for Biedrins

yea, because Boston would want an overpaid, injury prone big man...

llemon
05-12-2011, 01:21 AM
why blow up a championship team? they were injured most of the season.

i say keep the core, add pieces.

Because they are not a championship team at this point.

And players get injured more frequently as they get older.

what54!?
05-12-2011, 01:24 AM
retool. I think they got another year left

llemon
05-12-2011, 01:35 AM
yea, because Boston would want an overpaid, injury prone big man...

About what Allen is worth in a trade.

ohreally
05-12-2011, 01:36 AM
I would say keep the team together, because you're not going to get value. Though I would hate to see it the only trade that I can see being possible would be Ray and Green to Memphis for Rudy Gay. I'm not sure Memphis would go for this, but they could certainly use a 3-point shooter and Green could definitely get open looks on their team. I'm not sure Rudy is worth that, but most would probably say he is.

The Magic would probably be happy to get KG, but I don't see that they have anything much to give in return.

heyman321
05-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks. And I see what you're saying. But I don't like him because I think he's a dirty player and he has a rep around the league for being a jerk. Plus he plays for Boston, which just adds to it. But there isn't one thing I like about the guy. Not even his game. I think he's soft for a PF. 5 FT attempts per game means he rarely ventures into the paint. He's a fake tough guy. Yelling "choke" at Brad Miller a few years ago against the Bulls? Really KG? Aren't you the guy who it took 10 years to get out of the 1st round? Couldn't win a thing until you got 2 other HOFers around you. Just google "Kevin Garnett" and "jerk" and see what pops up lol. This isn't an isolated opinion.

I hate Garnett and think he's a dick too, but he definitely ain't soft. He averages 5 FT a game because he's 35. And he never got out of the first round fast because Shaq was always in the way.

Jaji
05-12-2011, 01:52 AM
I hate Garnett and think he's a dick too, but he definitely ain't soft. He averages 5 FT a game because he's 35. And he never got out of the first round fast because Shaq was always in the way.

5 FTs per game for his career. Only 3 a game this year. I've been pointing this out for years.

And the Wolves didn't play the Lakers in the 1st round every year.

NetsPaint
05-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Not many will agree I don't think, unless a lot have said it in this thread, but I think trading Rondo is their best option. He's young, and they could get young players back and maybe picks.

They have to keep Pierce, they drafted him and has been there from the beginning. Still does a lot.

I dunno about Garnett and Allen. Allen is still in great shape, and Garnett still is a big part of their success even though his play has went down a lot due to age and injuries.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
05-12-2011, 08:58 AM

I hate to say it but the Knicks are only going to get better, so u can't leave them out either.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 11:36 AM

I agree fully w/ that. "Soft" isn't the word I'd use though. I think he is a star player w/ a role player's mentality, offensively. I don't think he views himself as the guy who takes over games. There's a reason he never won until he got Pierce to be "that guy" (and Ray to a lesser extent). I always felt he was more comfortable as a post passer than scorer. He just does't have a killer mentality on the offensive end.

Defensively, on the other hand, I don't think he can really be criticized for much of anything. Dude always has been and still is a stud. His only real weakness is that he can get overpowered by the bigger players lke Shaq (younger), Ming, etc. But he's obviously an elite defender not just now but in an all time sense.

And KG is DEFINATELY a fake tough guy. I think he just gets so hyped up he starts talking like he's tough. But I've always felt it was an act that he just goes into when he gets in "game mode." I've watched his post game interviews over the years and in that setting he seems pretty quiet and humble. It really is a total opposite, which leads me to believe KG the person is totally different than KG the basketball player.

Car Ramrod
05-12-2011, 11:42 AM
If they play together another year and have a legit centre that can play something resembling defense they will be fine.

Plus with Garnett and Allen coming off the books after next season they will be in prime position to sign somebody. In the world of free agency money coming off the books can be as good or better than any trade because no crap is required to make the dollars work. Depending on the CBA they will be in prime position to bring in someone substantial.

Rondo makes the team go. He was hurt and they lost. Maybe next year they will be able to get Jeff Green more involved. They really need another guy that can get to the foul line.

I wouldn't panic and blow it up. Patience will be rewarded next offseason. A trade may only provide bandaids.

JordansBulls
05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Should never had traded Perkins. I can understand if he was like 30 years old or something.

But I think it is time to get younger. Maybe trade Ray Allen for someone like a JRich so that Ray can play with Dwight.

Rivera
05-12-2011, 11:53 AM
honestly there stuck contractally

so this group will be together for at least one more year.......i know in 2012 KG comes off the books...im not sure about paul or ray but i know KG does for sure

sep11ie
05-12-2011, 11:53 AM
^Perkins has been terrible with OKC.

sep11ie
05-12-2011, 11:59 AM

yea for sure.

Please tell me that is a joke. PLEEEEASE.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 12:01 PM

I don't mean to come off like a homer, but I think NO would definately consider that offer if they do decide that CP3 isn't staying. I actually don't like that from BOS's perspective. If they made that trade CP3 would just leave after the season anyway because all of BOS's resources would be tied up in an old Pierce and Okafor.

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2011, 12:06 PM

what's wrong with it? i think it'd be a good deal for New Orleans if Boston sent them that with a 1st round pick. they get their PG for the future who's already under contract, plus they get rid of Okafor's terrible contract. let's face it...CP3 is leaving anyways so they might as well get something for him

llemon
05-12-2011, 12:09 PM
^Perkins has been terrible with OKC.

Really? Because he doesn't put up big numbers?

Perkins makes OKC tough, something Celts weren't vs. Heat.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 12:09 PM
what's wrong with it? i think it'd be a good deal for New Orleans if Boston sent them that with a 1st round pick. plus they get rid of Okafor's terrible contract

I've noticed that money is never considered on PSD in regards to trades. Most people just ignore it, when it really is one of the most crucial parts of trades IMO.

KingPosey
05-12-2011, 12:12 PM

They would have smashed you guys with the way ur playing in the playoffs.

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2011, 12:12 PM
I've noticed that money is never considered on PSD in regards to trades. Most people just ignore it, when it really is one of the most crucial parts of trades IMO.

yea or contracts...people just look at names and say WTF?

Baller1
05-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Really? Because he doesn't put up big numbers.

Perkins makes OKC tough, something Celts weren't vs. Heat.

I agree that he's brought a new identity to the team, but he really has been terrible. Some are saying he's still only around 65% health though, so who knows.

As for Boston, I say make 1 last run at it. Ray Ray doesn't age, Pierce and KG still have another strong year in them, Green will now be integrated fully into the team, and Rondo might be healthy.

I think they can make one final push for another championship,

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 12:18 PM
what's wrong with it? i think it'd be a good deal for New Orleans if Boston sent them that with a 1st round pick. they get their PG for the future who's already under contract, plus they get rid of Okafor's terrible contract

Oh and by the way...

Thsi doesn't have anything to do w/ this quoted post but you brought it up yesterday and I didn't get a chance to respond. You said that OJ Mayo was a RFA this offseason. According to hoopshype, he is a RFA next offseason (link: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/memphis.htm). Just wanted to point that out because, as we discussed, I think he's a guy Danny will target. Him being under contract rather than a RFA greatly simplifies a potential trade.

I think MEM might have some interest in Celts PG Avery Bradley. I've read that MEM wants to upgrade the backup PG spot and he's the type of defense/spot up shooter that I think would work w/ that team. I think something like this might be workable for MEM...

BOS gets: OJ Mayo, Xavier Henry
MEM gets: Ray Allen, Avery Bradley, LAC 2012 1st rounder, BOS 2012 1st rounder

I think MEM might consider that. They get a guy in Ray who could really help them offensively w/out dominating the ball. Bradley, as I said, could be the perfect backup PG for them. That LAC first rounder is a likely lottery pick (11-14, because it's top 10 protected). And that BOS 1st rounder, if the Celts go into rebuild mode, will likely be late teens and because 2012 projects to be a decent draft, that's somewhat valuable.

For BOS, it gives you two talented pieces to add to Rondo and Green moving forward and makes you a little more attractive to FAs the following offseason when they'd have a little cap space.

Some salary fill ins might be needed, but I think this is a reasonable starting point of a deal. I'm curious as to what some thoughts are from other fans. Am I being a homer or is this somewhat fair?

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2011, 12:19 PM
and wtf was the deal with Big Baby? he was ****in TERRIBLE in the playoffs. easily the worst i've ever seen him play. i wonder if that knee injury bothered him.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 12:20 PM
and wtf was the deal with Big Baby? he was ****in TERRIBLE in the playoffs. easily the worst i've ever seen him play. i wonder if that knee injury bothered him.

He's gone from the Celts. He just doesn't accept his role. He wants to be a star and key offensive player. Some team will overpay him.

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Oh and by the way...

Thsi doesn't have anything to do w/ this quoted post but you brought it up yesterday and I didn't get a chance to respond. You said that OJ Mayo was a RFA this offseason. According to hoopshype, he is a RFA next offseason (link: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/memphis.htm). Just wanted to point that out because, as we discussed, I think he's a guy Danny will target. Him being under contract rather than a RFA greatly simplifies a potential trade.

I think MEM might have some interest in Celts PG Avery Bradley. I've read that MEM wants to upgrade the backup PG spot and he's the type of defense/spot up shooter that I think would work w/ that team. I think something like this might be workable for MEM...

BOS gets: OJ Mayo, Xavier Henry
MEM gets: Ray Allen, Avery Bradley, LAC 2012 1st rounder, BOS 2012 1st rounder

I think MEM might consider that. They get a guy in Ray who could really help them offensively w/out dominating the ball. Bradley, as I said, could be the perfect backup PG for them. That LAC first rounder is a likely lottery pick (11-14, because it's top 10 protected). And that BOS 1st rounder, if the Celts go into rebuild mode, will likely be late teens and because 2012 projects to be a decent draft, that's somewhat valuable.

For BOS, it gives you two talented pieces to add to Rondo and Green moving forward and makes you a little more attractive to FAs the following offseason when they'd have a little cap space.

Some salary fill ins might be needed, but I think this is a reasonable starting point of a deal. I'm curious as to what some thoughts are from other fans. Am I being a homer or is this somewhat fair?

i think it's a good deal because the 2 1st rounders even it out. Mayo would be perfect for boston as well because he could help now, and in the future.

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 12:37 PM
keepers,
rondo, green, allen, west, kristic

lose,
kg, peirce, glen davis, shaq, JO.

llemon
05-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I agree that he's brought a new identity to the team, but he really has been terrible. Some are saying he's still only around 65% health though, so who knows.

As for Boston, I say make 1 last run at it. Ray Ray doesn't age, Pierce and KG still have another strong year in them, Green will now be integrated fully into the team, and Rondo might be healthy.

I think they can make one final push for another championship,

I'm not a Celts fan, so I don't really care what they do.

But I said before the '10-'11 season the they were too old to win the East.

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2011, 12:41 PM
He's gone from the Celts. He just doesn't accept his role. He wants to be a star and key offensive player. Some team will overpay him.

yea he should be gone and Jeff Green should take his minutes.

metsbulls1025
05-12-2011, 12:42 PM

I don't watch much Celtics games, but watching him against Miami I wanted to rip my hair out every time he took a turnaround 17 foot jumper. That is not his game at all, yet he couldn't stop trying to do it.

bcc
05-12-2011, 12:49 PM
The Perkins trade didn't work out but let's face it; if they'd lost Game 7 of the NBA Finals, the trade still wouldn't have "worked out."
Ainge's big mistake was believing Doc Rivers could "coach up" that second unit enough in the final 20-25 games. He had some talent to work with off the bench; Green and Big Baby at Forward, Delonte West at Guard, Krystic at Center, etc...
Does anyone doubt the reason this team won in 2008 was Tom Thibideau and his defensive schemes?

I like Doc a lot; he's a terrific person and a terrific face of the franchise. He's also an average coach. Boston's W/L (under Rivers) the 3 seasons prior to Allen & Garnett arriving was around 80 games under .500.
That's 80 games under .500.
Under those circumstances, virtually every coach on the planet is gone by the end of year 3.
Ainge rolled the dice with Doc Rivers every bit as much as he did with Jeff Green & Naned Krytic.
He lost on all fronts.

Hustlenomics
05-12-2011, 12:54 PM
big baby has been horrible all season

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Greens need a real center but where will they find one?

ChitownSports16
05-12-2011, 01:03 PM
i think they "clean house"....

Jaji
05-12-2011, 01:15 PM
With Doc saying he's leaning towards a return next year, I think they stay together one more year. I wouldn't, but that's what it looks like they're gonna do.

ankit
05-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Anybody now missing KP. The deal for Jeff Green was a horrible one they need to get size down the center position and they are fine. Maybe a Tyson Chandler type player.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Anybody now missing KP. The deal for Jeff Green was a horrible one they need to get size down the center position and they are fine. Maybe a Tyson Chandler type player.

We lost mainly because our offense was putrid. Perk doesn't help that. BOS desperately needed some scoring if they hoped to win it all and Perk was the only piece Danny had to make something happen. I fully supported that trade and continue to do so.

papipapsmanny
05-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Celtics should target a guy like Javale Mcgee for down in the paint, and a good backup shooting guard

PAOboston
05-12-2011, 04:03 PM
i highly doubt they just "blow up" the entire team. old or not, this team is still a top 4 team in the east next season. and all you have to do is get into the playoffs and get some momentum. crazier things have happened.

i think they need to look for a center and some solid help off the bench. the c's bench was just putrid this postseason and the 2nd half of the season due to injuries/new players/etc. maybe s/t davis for another big. resign d west. and see if they could somehow finagle a trade for an rfa center like jordan/oden/etc. and this team can compete for another season. also, green should be a lot more comfortbale with a training camp under his belt.

that being said, i'm also pretty sure ainge will kick the tires on anything and anyone on the team. to me, the celtics have some pieces that could be attractive to the right team. KG/allen/JO have expiring deals and leadership qualities that a team on the brink could always use. also rondo/green are the young, potential players that could be used as chips as well.

if they do end up trading players to "blow up" the team, it'll happen around the trade deadline

thekmp211
05-12-2011, 04:08 PM
first of all, no matter what they do this offseason, the celtics are still poised to rebuild very quickly once the big threes contracts expire. they will be able to reload.

they need a few things, though, to make a run worth while next year. a legit, starting caliber defensive center for starters. if delonte can stay healthy, he's a great fit off the bench. but, they need another wing athlete and guy who can create his own shot. and they need another rasheed-like big who can space the floor without being a complete waste in other facets of the game (see krstic, nenad).

MOST importantly though, and this will determine the direction of the celtics more than anything else they do or anyone else they acquire....rondo must develop a jump shot.

rondo HAS to develop a jump shot.

he is simply too much of a liability on offense with teams sagging off of him. that approach seemed to get into his head as the season went on, and he became less aggressive on offense in general.

his responsibilities on this team are only going to grow with time, as the old guard fades out. he was arguably the best player on the team this year, and next season he will probably have to establish himself as the clear-cut leader of the team. and that won't happen if he doesn't fix his shot.

any other roster moves (short of acquiring a dwight howard-type) will be relatively meaningless if rondo doesn't expand his game.

thekmp211
05-12-2011, 04:12 PM
We lost mainly because our offense was putrid. Perk doesn't help that. BOS desperately needed some scoring if they hoped to win it all and Perk was the only piece Danny had to make something happen. I fully supported that trade and continue to do so.

you're right to an extent, but the celtics took an advantage and made it a weakness. the celtics were lucky they didn't face a team with a formidable front line. center is absolutely a priority this offseason and the celts will have a hard time rebounding without an upgrade at the position.

llemon
05-12-2011, 04:29 PM

And Celts will continue to suffer because of it unless they can turn that draft pick they got in the trade into something worthwhile.

Master Mind
05-12-2011, 05:05 PM
What if the Celtics traded KG + Big Baby + pick to the Lakers for Pau Gasol + Shannon Brown...Is that trade viable?

Sly Guy
05-12-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't know that you'll get much value for an Allen, Pierce or KG. I'm not sure who, outside of a borderline contending team looking to fortify their roster with an aging vet presence would be interested in them. And even at that, you'd likely only get mid-level picks, 'project' style young players and filler. Besides, this year's draft is weak, so if I were them, I'd try for another run then do a compete rebuild.

They really shot themselves in the foot by trading perk, IMO. They'd have been a better contender this year and next with him in their lineup.

Crackadalic
05-12-2011, 05:26 PM
As a knick fan I hate the celtic so who cares were taking over:)

j/k j/k They shouldn't do anything this year. Let them have one more run at a title because they only have Pierce and Rondo under contract for the 2012-2013 season. That means they have a hell of a lot of cap space for the 2012 FA class which IMO is almost as big as 2010.

Preacher
05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I agree fully w/ that. "Soft" isn't the word I'd use though. I think he is a star player w/ a role player's mentality, offensively. I don't think he views himself as the guy who takes over games. There's a reason he never won until he got Pierce to be "that guy" (and Ray to a lesser extent). I always felt he was more comfortable as a post passer than scorer. He just does't have a killer mentality on the offensive end.

Defensively, on the other hand, I don't think he can really be criticized for much of anything. Dude always has been and still is a stud. His only real weakness is that he can get overpowered by the bigger players lke Shaq (younger), Ming, etc. But he's obviously an elite defender not just now but in an all time sense.

And KG is DEFINATELY a fake tough guy. I think he just gets so hyped up he starts talking like he's tough. But I've always felt it was an act that he just goes into when he gets in "game mode." I've watched his post game interviews over the years and in that setting he seems pretty quiet and humble. It really is a total opposite, which leads me to believe KG the person is totally different than KG the basketball player.

Wickedly good post.

Supreme LA
05-12-2011, 09:38 PM
They're all old and need a desperate revamp like LA.

:facepalm:

Supreme LA
05-12-2011, 09:40 PM
What if the Celtics traded KG + Big Baby + pick to the Lakers for Pau Gasol + Shannon Brown...Is that trade viable?

Eh..give me KG + Delonte. Nobody wants Big Baby. Delonte guarded Wade better than I've ever seen anybody guard him ever this past series.

Master Mind
05-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Eh..give me KG + Delonte. Nobody wants Big Baby. Delonte guarded Wade better than I've ever seen anybody guard him ever this past series.

Yeah West really surprised me...

shep33
05-12-2011, 09:58 PM
You can make the argument that Delonte was Boston's best player this past series. Guy shot 53% from the field, and 47% from 3. Maybe not best, but most consistent for sure.

bagwell368
05-12-2011, 10:00 PM

What are you watching? Ainge said today that after Perk came back it was clear his lateral mobility and shot blocking was not good. Perk is working on his worst playoffs since his first in 2005 when he as just a guy on a bad team.

Bob Ryan said yesterday given how Perk has played the Celts had to do the deal.

Perkins is just an easy answer for overly emotional Celts fans that don't want to take the time to analyze the facts. The Heat would have beaten the Celts as easily or more easily with Perk instead of Green and Krstic.

BTW, both Green AND Krstic heavily outplayed Perk on the Celts this year. Doc made the fatal mistake of sticking with Davis even though he sucked since 1/22 instead of getting the new guys more time. They played great BTW when the got a lot of time early and Krstic showed what he could do on offense last night when he got the ball.

Perkins won't even play the full 5 years for OKC, he's 26 going on 31 carrying a piano on his back with two bum knees.....

DA robbed OKC blind.

bagwell368
05-12-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't know that you'll get much value for an Allen, Pierce or KG. I'm not sure who, outside of a borderline contending team looking to fortify their roster with an aging vet presence would be interested in them. And even at that, you'd likely only get mid-level picks, 'project' style young players and filler. Besides, this year's draft is weak, so if I were them, I'd try for another run then do a compete rebuild.

They really shot themselves in the foot by trading perk, IMO. They'd have been a better contender this year and next with him in their lineup.

It doesn't work that way, value is often not the reason for deal, but salary flexibility.

Monta Ellis has been on the block for 1.5 years, since Curry is better in every way including being cheaper and younger. So they take Allen who has just one year to go (if he takes his option that is) in order rub off the 4 years for Monta. Problem is they only have back-up bigs, because the Celts want a back up big for some sign and trade guy like Davis (good riddance) to swallow Monta for 4 years...

What good is Perk to the Celts, they couldn't match better offers which were coming. They got Greem and a pick who will both be around, while Perk would have been a sign and trade for peanuts. Perk is having a horrible season for OKC. He's having his worst playoffs ever (check out his PER and WS/48, and all of it... sucks)

ankit
05-12-2011, 10:24 PM
What are you watching? Ainge said today that after Perk came back it was clear his lateral mobility and shot blocking was not good. Perk is working on his worst playoffs since his first in 2005 when he as just a guy on a bad team.

Bob Ryan said yesterday given how Perk has played the Celts had to do the deal.

Perkins is just an easy answer for overly emotional Celts fans that don't want to take the time to analyze the facts. The Heat would have beaten the Celts as easily or more easily with Perk instead of Green and Krstic.

BTW, both Green AND Krstic heavily outplayed Perk on the Celts this year. Doc made the fatal mistake of sticking with Davis even though he sucked since 1/22 instead of getting the new guys more time. They played great BTW when the got a lot of time early and Krstic showed what he could do on offense last night when he got the ball.

Perkins won't even play the full 5 years for OKC, he's 26 going on 31 carrying a piano on his back with two bum knees.....

DA robbed OKC blind.

Hello there is something called team chemistry, Perkins has not adjusted to his new role in OKC you cannot even doubt for a second that if KP was there were those close games in game 4 and game 5 that size would have given the ability to get a second shot opportunity, not to mention better deffence to stop those easy pick n rolls that Miami was running late in the fourth quaters. I do agree James made some tough tough shots but if you watch the game closely and know the game more than stats you would realize the key to stopping those easy pick n rolls, trust it also a team chemistry makes a difference, I dont see Jeff Green doing no shyyyyaaatttt in the playoffs although this deal might work better in the long run i have a strong feeling if KP was there Boston would have forced a Game 7 and I would have been able to not see James turn into a horse aka his post game antics after he won that Game 5.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Hello there is something called team chemistry, Perkins has not adjusted to his new role in OKC you cannot even doubt for a second that if KP was there were those close games in game 4 and game 5 that size would have given the ability to get a second shot opportunity, not to mention better deffence to stop those easy pick n rolls that Miami was running late in the fourth quaters. I do agree James made some tough tough shots but if you watch the game closely and know the game more than stats you would realize the key to stopping those easy pick n rolls, trust it also a team chemistry makes a difference, I dont see Jeff Green doing no shyyyyaaatttt in the playoffs although this deal might work better in the long run i have a strong feeling if KP was there Boston would have forced a Game 7 and I would have been able to not see James turn into a horse aka his post game antics after he won that Game 5.

Perk is not a good offensive rebounder at all so I don't believe he would have helped there at all. Perkins also would routinely hardly play in the 4th because he is an offensive liability. So he wouldn't have been out there to help those plays.

BOS's major problem was a dormant offense. They just could not score at all. Adding Perk does not help that at all. Of course Perk would have improved you in certain areas, but he would also further weaken what already was their achiles heal in this series - poor offense.

Imagine if Lebron James was playing 10 minutes a night against Von Wafer... that would have been the case if not for the trade.

ClipperfanKevin
05-12-2011, 10:35 PM
They need a solid big man to defend the paint. The wheels fell off when they moved Perkins midseason.

mdm692
05-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Sign nene and jr smith

bagwell368
05-13-2011, 06:21 AM

Oh great, let's have a couple of Yoda's on every teams roster that used to be able to play for morale.

DA said that the entire organization was polled, including the key multi year players and not one was against the deal - so much for Yoda.

Perkins didn't play well on the Celts this year due to his knees either - before he got to OKC. He's damaged. He wouldn't be back next year because the Celts couldn't offer him as much as other teams, so we get a broken Yoda for the rest of the year, and then what? A bag of balls in a sign and trade?

You are assuming Perk could move around the paint, he can't his mobility is fried. He's not the same guy. And at 26 with a piano on his back and two bum knees how much chance does he have to be the guy he was before for very long? Right, not good.

I have an extensive history as player, coach, and fan - I know the game better then most posters here. Firstly Perk might be a starter, but he's a short minute starter. Secondly his offense (TOV, FG%, FT%, AST%) is so weak that whatever benefit he brings on D (fouling, presence, D rebounding (no longer shot blocking)) is basically wiped out. So a net zero player is going to scare Wade and James? Name me one guy in the NBA that those two guys faced since the ASG that they were afraid to bring the ball inside on? Right. Nobody. Certainly not a glacial Perk.

I watched about 85% of the Series and there is no way that Perk and von Wafer is going to force a 7th or even 6th game vs. Green and Krstic ------ in particular when you figure in Rondo's injury, and Shaq's not being a factor.

bagwell368
05-13-2011, 06:22 AM
They need a solid big man to defend the paint. The wheels fell off when they moved Perkins midseason.

analysis == fail

JOSKOMANG4
05-13-2011, 01:58 PM
For expiring money, don't be surprised if the Celtics trade Paul Pierce to the Clippers for C C.Kaman & a future 1st rd pick. Clippers fill their void of a star-caliber SF to also be a veteran to their youth movement(Jordan,Griffin,Gordon, & Bledsoe).. Celtics get a big man help while also creating a spot for in the starting lineup for Jeff Green.

Celts Lineup:

C) Kaman
PF) Garnett
SF) Green
SG) Allen
PG) Rondo

Clippers lineup:

C) Jordan
PF) Griffin
SF) Pierce
SG) Gordon
PG) Bledsoe

6th man: Mo Willliams

ilovemyangel
05-13-2011, 02:07 PM
You know, obviously something has gone wrong for the Celtics. They started so well, and the wheels started falling off right after the trade, we were barely a .500 team. I believe we went 15-13 or something along that line. I wouldn't say its Perk though, most likely just the dynamics of the team. Plus the new comers didn't jell they way they were expected to. Oh well, we'll return next yr won't we.

ilovemyangel
05-13-2011, 02:08 PM
And, we need to let Glen 'Big Fat Baby' Davis go to wherever he wants to go to show the world, sun or moon his talents. The guy is obviously a liability at this point.