PDA

View Full Version : Kobe: Andrew Bynum needs to 'fall in line'

Gators123
05-11-2011, 06:08 PM
http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/29230958?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

What a week for Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum. First, he unleashes the dirtiest play in recent memory to get himself ejected from his team's last game of the season, a disappointing loss to the Dallas Mavericks. Then, he apologizes for the hit but gets slapped with a five-game suspension that will cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars.

During his exit interview, SI.com reported that Bynum tried to look forward to next year with optimism, predicting that he will be a bigger part of the team's offense next season.

"Offensively for me, this series and throughout the playoffs I was just being more aggressive, just give us a solid option. I did a decent job at that, had a decent playoffs this year, but it wasn't enough. I just [want to] come back expecting that next year I'll be a bigger part of the team and I'll work to be a bigger part of the team."

"In order for this team, if it was to be the same, [playing a greater offensive role] would have to be the case," he reiterated.

On Wednesday, Lakers All-Star guard Kobe Bryant, the team's leading scorer, poo-pooed that idea according to NBA.com.

But Bryant made it clear that the food chain for the Lakers won’t be changing anytime soon, at least not on his watch.

“Well, it’s tough to do on this team,” he said of moving Bynum up on the list of offensive priorities. “Ultimately, he’ll have to fall in line. Because I’m gonna shoot the ball. We all know that. Pau is going to get his touches. He’s no. 2. And then [Andrew] will have to fall in line.”

dnewguy
05-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I think Bynum should be the 1st option #justsaying. I don't understand why the most efficient guy at creating/making his shots should fall in line. Kobe needs to play Paul Pierce role, sit back and take most important shots.

Tony_Starks
05-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I kind of agree with Kobe but watching the amount of heart Bynum played with in the playoffs as opposed to Gasols makes me change my mind. Bynum knows he does the most damage inside and rarely gets pushed out of his comfort zone. Gasol on the other hand doesn't always work for position and fools around on the perimeter a bit too much.

Im not saying Bynum should move up to 2 on the scoring chart but I think he should defnitely get the same amount of shots Gasol gets, there's no reason there shouldn't be enough shots for both...

Durant is hype
05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Hopefully Bynum and Gasol become a bigger part of the offense,I don't see that happening anytime soon though. Kobe Bryant has to realize that being a team player means sacrificing shots. By the start of the season I think they will get it together,Lakers cant win without there big men getting under 10 shots.

TheHoopsProphet
05-11-2011, 06:16 PM
the relatively new major of Douchebaggery has been studied by many prospective students across the globe from LeBrown James to Kanye West, but it appears colby is now going for his PhD!!

Colby is going to hold onto the notion that he is the number 1 option until he's a paraplegic, and even then he might try and retain it. Not good for Laker nation in the immediate future, because I suspect some serious conflicts ala 2004 in the near future.

CeeDub15
05-11-2011, 06:16 PM
This is actually kinda funny. And i agree, i think Bynum and Pau's should get the same or really close to the same amount of shots.

daboywonder2002
05-11-2011, 06:17 PM
I think Bynum should be the 1st option #justsaying. I don't understand why the most efficient guy at creating/making his shots should fall in line. Kobe needs to play Paul Pierce role, sit back and take most important shots.

i agree. kobe can still be the closer. but for the first 3 quarters, the ball needs to go to bynum/gasol to get more easy buckets. This is where kobe has to check his ego at the door. this is why you need a TRUE point guard with the balls to say no kobe, let me get bynum going first. Not some shoot first pg like a mo williams. Kobe is def a hall of fame player. no one is saying he is finished. im just saying running the offense thru bynum/gasol makes everything easier for the ENTIRE OFFENSE .

Durant is hype
05-11-2011, 06:19 PM
No doubt about it Gasol and Bynum have to be the #1 option!

PS:Only if they want to win the championships :p

Time2Dieeee
05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
someone is gunna get traded

Lost Art
05-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm calling BS, Kobe is the one who needs to "fall in line". He needs to realize that he's not 25 years old anymore. He is no longer capable of carrying this team offensively. If he isn't able to realize that, this is going to be a long, brutal, almost unwatchable decline. I can't tell you how many games we lost this season because Kobe tried to do everything on his own down the stretch. That approach used to work, but not anymore. Bynum's right, if he's healthy he should be moving up the food chain rather rapidly. Kobe, your prime is behind you, time to pass the torch. I'd like to see Kobe go for 8-9 assists per game next season (something I actually think he's capable of) and keep his scoring in the low 20's, that's when our team is at its best.

Tony_Starks
05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Hopefully Bynum and Gasol become a bigger part of the offense,I don't see that happening anytime soon though. Kobe Bryant has to realize that being a team player means sacrificing shots. By the start of the season I think they will get it together,Lakers cant win without there big men getting under 10 shots.

I can't really put that on Kobe because his shot attempts this season were the lowest they have been in years. In the playoffs there were several games where he came out and made a concerted effort to get the bigs involved. To me its more the rest of the team, I think those are the "trust issues" Bynum was referring to. At times they seem reluctant to feed the post when there is clearly an advantage.

Jewelz0376
05-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Pau has proven he doesn't want to be a #1 option... People just look at his shots and assume Kobe is keeping him from shooting more... It's not the case...Too often Pau gets touches and instead of looking for his shot he gets passive with the ball...

To be a #1 option on a good team you need to have a certain type of mentality that Pau doesn't have....

Bynum might have that mentality, but I'm not convinced his offensive game is at a level where he can be the #1 option for an entire season and thru the post season..

I think the Lakers should almost be like the Celtics big 3 where they almost take an equal amount of shots

ManRam
05-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Kobe definitely needs to fall in line too.

I still don't think Bynum is a guy where you can just feed the ball to and watch score...his offensive game isn't that great yet. He's best off as a 3rd option honestly. He's best cleaning up after others, getting the ball when he's wide open (not forcing it) and doing the dirty work. He's not a Pau offensively yet.

Raph12
05-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Another reason why Dwight to LA doesn't make sense, how many touches could Dwight get if Kobe's putting up 20+FGA and Pau needs his touches as well?...

Lost Art
05-11-2011, 06:34 PM
I can't really put that on Kobe because his shot attempts this season were the lowest they have been in years. In the playoffs there were several games where he came out and made a concerted effort to get the bigs involved. To me its more the rest of the team, I think those are the "trust issues" Bynum was referring to. At times they seem reluctant to feed the post when there is clearly an advantage.

Kobe also played about 33 minutes per game this season, which is about 4-5 minutes less than usual. If you tracked his shots per minute on the floor it would probably be at his average (or possibly above).

mustaine
05-11-2011, 06:35 PM

That will never happen. We're talking about Kobe here, he would never agree to being anything but the number one guy. Also, I would make a strong argument against Bynum being the 1st or even 2nd option, he's extremely injury prone, making someone who misses so many games the first option is pure madness in my opinion. You can't have your number one guy in and out of the rotation. Bynum is a great player but somebody that injury prone is pushed back in line almost by default. You never know when he's going to break down again.

I have a feeling that the Lakers will try and trade Bynum for Howard in the summer, hopefully it doesn't work out but given the Lakers history of getting their man it might just happen.

Lost Art
05-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Another reason why Dwight to LA doesn't make sense, how many touches could Dwight get if Kobe's putting up 20+FGA and Pau needs his touches as well?...

Well, you can just hope that Dwight is cool with busting his butt on D and not touching the ball much (definitely less than in Orlando). It might get ugly.

Bruno
05-11-2011, 06:37 PM
If Bynum is still a Laker next season, his wishes will depend on his performance. If he dominates and takes over games, the pecking order will change.

Lost Art
05-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Pau has proven he doesn't want to be a #1 option... People just look at his shots and assume Kobe is keeping him from shooting more... It's not the case...Too often Pau gets touches and instead of looking for his shot he gets passive with the ball...

To be a #1 option on a good team you need to have a certain type of mentality that Pau doesn't have....

Bynum might have that mentality, but I'm not convinced his offensive game is at a level where he can be the #1 option for an entire season and thru the post season..

I think the Lakers should almost be like the Celtics big 3 where they almost take an equal amount of shots

That generally makes for a healthy team atmosphere, on and off the court. I'd like to see that as well. 12-15 shots for each player would be ideal.

Lost Art
05-11-2011, 06:39 PM
If Bynum is still a Laker next season, his wishes will depend on his performance. If he dominates and takes over games, the pecking order will change.

I think a coaching change will alter things as well. Until this year Phil has been really rough on Bynum. If the Lakers bring in a new coach (that was not part of Phil's staff), I think you'll see a variety of changes.

KnicksR4Real
05-11-2011, 06:42 PM
beef going around

daboywonder2002
05-11-2011, 06:43 PM
The offense cannot run thru kobe next year.

1. if you go the bynum/gasol or trade for d.howard option- you have to play the game inside out.

2. if you sign a TRUE POINT GUARD. CP3 or any other TRUE POINT GUARD. you have to let them run the offense. not just cross half court and pass off to kobe and go hide in a corner.

kobe needs to check his ego. david robinson was still playing at a high level when he let tim duncan take over the lead role. Shaquille o'neal could have came to miami on some im a 3 time champion. im the lead dog. but no, he took a back seat and let wade be that guy. There is no reason kobe cant do the same

kblo247
05-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Kobe said it in reference to being asked about going to Bynum over Pau. The fact is he needed to say it for Pau, and he did the same thing the season before that for Pau because Pau will mope as seen clearly this postseason and is too non-confrontational to say it for himself. Those two bigs don't play well together and occupy the same spot in actuality since Pau has mainly been a C for his whole Laker career, and that isn't a newsflash to any Laker fan or person who regularly watch the team. This was the first time where Pau really had to play PF for the majority of the time next to Andrew because he was healthy and not limited to 20 minutes, and just like in the past during the seasons they didn't click. They just didn't and don't ever fully click on either end, nor are they capable of playing big minutes together. Odom is their buffer and the big who can have a truly big game consistently next to both of them, because Bynum and Pau just don't play well together, one excels and the other is around average.

And for anyone who says make Bynum a higher option, think before you post. Why in the blue hell would you center an offense around a guy who generally misses a 4th of every season at best? That is just too damn complicated all together, so you center it around the two guys who are more likely to play and make the other young and unproven guy do some of the grunt work and throw him a few bones. That is just the way things are. Bynum is in no way tim Duncan, so the David Robinson stuff doesn't jive either.

And Lost, in general just let it go because you are grasping at straws with the Drew agenda, much like crooner has a Pau agenda and deflects blame and wishes for Kobe to be something other than what has gotten 5 rings and 7 finals. He is never going to be a specific playmaker like Pippen or a specific scorer like Jordan because there is never been a time in his damn career where he had the actual personnel to make it happen with him being one or the other role wise. His mentality is also his mentality and what has caused him and LA to win, so just check it at the door and for reference

Kobe's Attempts in the Playoffs:

Bravo95
05-11-2011, 06:45 PM
I kind of agree with Kobe but watching the amount of heart Bynum played with in the playoffs as opposed to Gasols makes me change my mind. Bynum knows he does the most damage inside and rarely gets pushed out of his comfort zone. Gasol on the other hand doesn't always work for position and fools around on the perimeter a bit too much.

Im not saying Bynum should move up to 2 on the scoring chart but I think he should defnitely get the same amount of shots Gasol gets, there's no reason there shouldn't be enough shots for both...
I agree (assuming they're all still on the Lakers next season).

kblo247
05-11-2011, 06:51 PM
The reason there isn't enough shots for both is that Pau and Andrew both excel at being the Laker C, who plays great on both ends with Odom by their side for the majority of the time. Neither wants to be a bench player or just a dirty work guy full time, so when one guy goes off the other spectates, instead of playing well right next to them.

I said it in the Laker forum, Bynum or Pau have to go. It doesn't have to be both but assuming both will be healthy and mentally in the game, one still has to go since they don't mesh and Phil had to ***** at them for bickering during huddles about which should get the ball and who was messing up on defense according to Spero.

Durant is hype
05-11-2011, 06:53 PM

His USG% was the highest this year! In the playoffs there were games where Kobe was either passive or extremely shot jacking! To be honest Kobe is very one dimensional,he has to facilitate more.

Jewelz0376
05-11-2011, 06:54 PM
It's funny tho that people are critical of Kobe when he shoots too much....like game 1 against Dal...but then when he doesnt shoot a lot like in game 3 he goes 8-16 he gets criticized for that by some of those same people...

Durant is hype
05-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm calling BS, Kobe is the one who needs to "fall in line". He needs to realize that he's not 25 years old anymore. He is no longer capable of carrying this team offensively. If he isn't able to realize that, this is going to be a long, brutal, almost unwatchable decline. I can't tell you how many games we lost this season because Kobe tried to do everything on his own down the stretch. That approach used to work, but not anymore. Bynum's right, if he's healthy he should be moving up the food chain rather rapidly. Kobe, your prime is behind you, time to pass the torch. I'd like to see Kobe go for 8-9 assists per game next season (something I actually think he's capable of) and keep his scoring in the low 20's, that's when our team is at its best.

:clap:

Jewelz0376
05-11-2011, 06:59 PM
And also in order for the Lakers to play "inside out" they need shooting....You saw what happened against Dal...all they did was just pack the paint while the Lakers missed 3 after 3...

To me saying the Lakers should just go inside every time is like telling a football team that can run but can't throw to just run the ball every time... You gotta have some type of balance or it won't work once you play the good teams...

Tony_Starks
05-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Honestly a lot of these problems will be solved by Phil leaving. The guy is a legend but the Lakers have pretty much been on autopilot the last few years. No adjustments, no nothing. A lot of times you'd even hear the analyst saying things like "I don't understand why they don't go inside to their advantage?" or "why do they defend the pick and roll this way?"

Like I said he's the man but its definitely time to move on and get some new blood in there...

daboywonder2002
05-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Kobe said it in reference to being asked about going to Bynum over Pau. The fact is he needed to say it for Pau, and he did the same thing the season before that for Pau because Pau will mope as seen clearly this postseason and is too non-confrontational to say it for himself. Those two bigs don't play well together and occupy the same spot in actuality since Pau has mainly been a C for his whole Laker career, and that isn't a newsflash to any Laker fan or person who regularly watch the team. This was the first time where Pau really had to play PF for the majority of the time next to Andrew because he was healthy and not limited to 20 minutes, and just like in the past during the seasons they didn't click. They just didn't and don't ever fully click on either end, nor are they capable of playing big minutes together. Odom is their buffer and the big who can have a truly big game consistently next to both of them, because Bynum and Pau just don't play well together, one excels and the other is around average.

And for anyone who says make Bynum a higher option, think before you post. Why in the blue hell would you center an offense around a guy who generally misses a 4th of every season at best? That is just too damn complicated all together, so you center it around the two guys who are more likely to play and make the other young and unproven guy do some of the grunt work and throw him a few bones. That is just the way things are. Bynum is in no way tim Duncan, so the David Robinson stuff doesn't jive either.

And Lost, in general just let it go because you are grasping at straws with the Drew agenda, much like crooner has a Pau agenda and deflects blame and wishes for Kobe to be something other than what has gotten 5 rings and 7 finals. He is never going to be a specific playmaker like Pippen or a specific scorer like Jordan because there is never been a time in his damn career where he had the actual personnel to make it happen with him being one or the other role wise. His mentality is also his mentality and what has caused him and LA to win, so just check it at the door and for reference

Kobe's Attempts in the Playoffs:

Huh?? gasol and bynum don't play well together?? where are you getting this from? if anything. gasol plays better with bynum in the lineup. if anything gasol gets EASIER buckets because of the double teams bynum gets in the post. Gasol can easily play the high post if he wants to. Yes the lakers dont really miss a beat OFFENSIVELY when they start lamar odom and gasol. but when it comes to taking up space, setting picks, low post defense, getting a double team down low. you need andrew bynum. Gasol can't play center on the defensive end for 82 games. you are asking for trouble.

Lake_Show2416
05-11-2011, 07:06 PM
options

1. Kobe
2. Pau
3. Bynum

too much overreacting

kblo247
05-11-2011, 07:07 PM
:clap:

:facepalm: Do you both not get that in no way do you actually extend Kobe's career and the window by making him facilitate more and still score in the 20's?

LA has skated by for years and won because Kobe has been a Pippen and Jordan hybrid in the triangle. They have never had to actually get the personnel to get everyone else looks and for someone to create their own offense and shoulder the load against constant pressure because they always said Kobe can do it.

To say he can't be the primary option is foolish. It is also foolish to say make him be the primary facilitator as well and say get me 20+ a night.

The fact is the team needs to actually bring in personnel who can actually create offense for others and Kobe consistently, not Pau throwing him the ball 28 feet out with 3 seconds on a clock or Andrew missing a cut or spot up shot because he goes into black hole mode. They need a point forward in the vein of Iguodala or a guard who can be relied on to handle the ball, initiate the sets, and read the floor.

I still say they need to get rid of Pau or Andrew because they don't play well together at the same time, even half the time. You get a guy who can facilitate for them and then in turn clear up the post and triple threat area so the paint isn't walled off or cluttered and Kobe has a a field day, see the year Pau missed the start of the season and he was the most efficient he had ever been while the team was still in 1st place. There is just too much cluster in the paint, too much poor spacing, and too poor of a defense that Pau and Andrew provide together because they still haven't learned to compliment one another consistently going into their 4th full year together.

Jewelz0376
05-11-2011, 07:10 PM
:facepalm: Do you both not get that in no way do you actually extend Kobe's career and the window by making him facilitate more and still score in the 20's?

LA has skated by for years and won because Kobe has been a Pippen and Jordan hybrid in the triangle. They have never had to actually get the personnel to get everyone else looks and for someone to create their own offense and shoulder the load against constant pressure because they always said Kobe can do it.

To say he can't be the primary option is foolish. It is also foolish to say make him be the primary facilitator as well and say get me 20+ a night.

The fact is the team needs to actually bring in personnel who can actually create offense for others and Kobe consistently, not Pau throwing him the ball 28 feet out with 3 seconds on a clock or Andrew missing a cut or spot up shot because he goes into black hole mode. They need a point forward in the vein of Iguodala or a guard who can be relied on to handle the ball, initiate the sets, and read the floor.

I still say they need to get rid of Pau or Andrew because they don't play well together at the same time, even half the time. You get a guy who can facilitate for them and then in turn clear up the post and triple threat area so the paint isn't walled off or cluttered and Kobe has a a field day, see the year Pau missed the start of the season and he was the most efficient he had ever been while the team was still in 1st place. There is just too much cluster in the paint, too much poor spacing, and too poor of a defense that Pau and Andrew provide together because they still haven't learned to compliment one another consistently going into their 4th full year together.

:nod:

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 07:15 PM
ánd right here is where you see WHAT WAS REALLY HAPPENING behind the scenes.

Its all bout BYnum wanting more touches and to be more important.

Mitch Trade his *** ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

kblo247
05-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Huh?? gasol and bynum don't play well together?? where are you getting this from? if anything. gasol plays better with bynum in the lineup. if anything gasol gets EASIER buckets because of the double teams bynum gets in the post. Gasol can easily play the high post if he wants to. Yes the lakers dont really miss a beat OFFENSIVELY when they start lamar odom and gasol. but when it comes to taking up space, setting picks, low post defense, getting a double team down low. you need andrew bynum. Gasol can't play center on the defensive end for 82 games. you are asking for trouble.

They don't. You are buying the ESPN oh the length argument. Those 2 win some regular season games by sheer talent, not by being a cohesive tandem on both ends as Stu Lantz has criticized them for before.

Pau has primarily played C the majority of his career in LA. This postseason was the first where Andrew wasn't limited to 15-20 minutes. Pau struggled because he spent more time at PF than he was used to and was exploited there because he and Drew aren't great at helping one another or rotating together, in fact they were bickering by the account of the Lakers radio guy over who was screwing up in game 3 on multiple occassions on the sideline. The team struggled this postseason with that approach and because Odom played less minutes that he has in his other playoff runs and wasn't the buffer between the two, which makes both of them more comfortable. Pau by his own admission in the past has said the C spot is easier to play in the triangle for him. Those two bump into one another and clutter up the same action zone. Dallas had a field day walling off the paint with their zone because they don't space the floor for one another or for driving. Phil didn't let them close game together for the very fact that they are so easily exploited by pick and rolls and in transition, as well as don't give Kobe proper room to operate at the top of the floor and attack. The assistant coaches in Shaw and Rambis have said in the past on 570 that they and the staff wanted Odom to start but Phil didn't want to lose either of the other two because they both are more sensitive than Lamar.

Pau's best ball in his Laker career has come at C. The team has won 2 rings and been to 3 finals with him playing the majority of the time at center and Odom being the primary PF. Andrew has played his best stretches of ball in his career next to Odom. Lamar just simply clicks better with both of them because he spreads the floor, is versatile enough to play off them or make a play for them, and can compliment them defensively in different ways such as how he can step out and guard guys off the dribble and funnel to Bynum or be the better helper and glass cleaner next to Pau. It is no secret to anyone who has actually watched the Lakers these past 4 seasons that they both play better with Odom than they do with each other and that Pau and Andrew having a big night usually comes at the expense of the other having an average one. It really isn't. By the way the best defensive lineup for the team this postseason was Fisher, Kobe, Ron, LO, and Andrew while the closing lineup was Fisher, Kobe, Ron(Trevor/Sasha), LO, and Pau for these Final runs for a reason.

THE MTL
05-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Honestly, Bynum is not ur 1st or 2nd option on offense on any good team. So I agree with Kobe. And honestly, Kobe has sacrificed alot of shots especially in the Mavs series. I was expecting him to go back to 2005 version Kobe who shot over 20 shots per game and didnt trust his teammates. But if u look at the boxscores he still took just as much shots as Gasol and Bynum.

Bynum needs to fall in line. He's really not that good. And when Kobe retires, he'll be exposed just like everyone else on the Lakers besides Gasol.

Atticus Finch
05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
It's amazing how one playoff series can lead so many people to change their minds about players. In just two weeks Kobe went from being arguably the best player in the league to a guy who can't carry a team anymore, Pau was being applauded as being the best PF and is now getting the Chris Bosh treatment, and Bynum went from being one of the most "overrated" players in the NBA to the #1 option on the Lakers.

kblo247
05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Let me also say this summer will be really telling about Bynum assuming he is healthy as it is the first one where he is healthy and not getting surgery or rehabbing. He needs to improve his game and body to make it through a season better and be more effective on both ends, whether he is a Laker and the roster doesn't change, on another team, or if Pau is or isn't a Laker.

PLAYERS FAN
05-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I'd really hope the lakers choose Bynum over Gasol.

TheHoopsProphet
05-11-2011, 07:48 PM
ánd right here is where you see WHAT WAS REALLY HAPPENING behind the scenes.

Its all bout BYnum wanting more touches and to be more important.

Mitch Trade his *** ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

surely u make joke? Every rising star wants this job. Rose to Howard to KD to Roy (see 2011 playoffs). This is a GOOD thing. It means they want to lead the team. Colby has same mentality, should we trade colby? Bynum has proven that he can make buckets in the post and lead this team emotionally and in the box score. The only, only, only thing that makes us wary of him is his health. Every other sign has hinted to FUTURE SUPERSTAR!

Teeboy1487
05-11-2011, 07:53 PM
As a Lakers fan, I love his game but I can't stand Kobe Bryant. He needs to realize that he is old and needs to shoot less. Guess that won't happen since he eats first in LA.

Geargo Wallace
05-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Bynum should get the ball a lot more. He's the surest 2 points on the team. Plus you should always run the ball through your big man an offence, especially one that good.

jrm2054
05-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Kobe Bynum Gasol

Lim
05-11-2011, 08:37 PM
It's amazing how one playoff series can lead so many people to change their minds about players. In just two weeks Kobe went from being arguably the best player in the league to a guy who can't carry a team anymore, Pau was being applauded as being the best PF and is now getting the Chris Bosh treatment, and Bynum went from being one of the most "overrated" players in the NBA to the #1 option on the Lakers.

exactly. ppl on here and fans in general overreact to every little thing. pau played bad in 10 games. 10 friggin games, and ppl act like it was an 82 game post season. you dont trade someone as good as pau gasol unless its for someone like dwight

Lost Art
05-11-2011, 09:10 PM

Kobe's been struggling to close / take over games all season, Pau's been a no show since the first couple months of the season, and Bynum's been on a tear since the allstar break. None of this stuff happened in the last two weeks.

BigCityofDreams
05-11-2011, 09:48 PM
It's funny tho that people are critical of Kobe when he shoots too much....like game 1 against Dal...but then when he doesnt shoot a lot like in game 3 he goes 8-16 he gets criticized for that by some of those same people...

That's what my friend did. He criticized the Lakers and said they don't have an identity because Kobe can't be the number 1 option anymore. Then he criticized Kobe for not taking a ton of shots in game 4 against the Mavs. :rolleyes:

ldawg
05-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Both Kobe and Bynum are wrong. Its no picking order they need a pg to run the show and give it to the open man and no sulking if you got the ball 8 times. Kobe can't run around and hold the ball like he use to. he can but it will not result in a win. He will gas himself and the other teams will love that, let kobe get his stop the rest. The other 4 players will watch in disgust result 1st round exit. Sound like Kobe needs a Doc rivers to knock him out of phil jackson era and teach him team ball. He needs to work on his hand and study paul perce it will help him play longer. Kobe need a coach that will stand up to him he will walk over brian shaw.

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2011, 11:49 PM
hmm...this quote reminds me of an argument i had with a certain someone in my sig...

Giants-49ers-Ws
05-12-2011, 12:39 AM
don't know if it'll happen or not but the lakers will try to deal bynum for howard...

but almost as important and i've been saying this for a few years about the lakers, they need to pick up a young and athletic point guard who can handle the ball a lot..it will put a couple extra years on kobe's legs; similar to the way rondo has kept allen, pierce, and garnett all effective into their mid 30's...they may need to consider trading gasol or odom to get this PG

a couple of point guards that come to mind as trade options would be one of the denver pg's felton or lawson...or try to sign rodney stuckey away from detroit as a restricted f.a.

hard_candy
05-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Kobe's simply not the same player he used to be. The last time he was a dominant player was in the 08 09 playoffs.

There will be silly drama next season as Kobe refuses to give up his role as a top five scorer and player, while Bynum takes more potshots at Kobe for not passing the ball more. In between his long layoffs due to injury, that is.

Whoever's named coach is inheriting a mess.

kblo247
05-12-2011, 04:23 AM
Kobe's simply not the same player he used to be. The last time he was a dominant player was in the 08 09 playoffs.

There will be silly drama next season as Kobe refuses to give up his role as a top five scorer and player, while Bynum takes more potshots at Kobe for not passing the ball more. In between his long layoffs due to injury, that is.

Whoever's named coach is inheriting a mess.

Did you miss the 09-10 playoffs? He was 29, 6, and 6 in 40 minutes on a knee that needed surgery. A 46/37/84 guy. That isn't dominant?

The guy also tallied in 2078 points this season. Pau had 1541. Drew had 612 because he once again missed a bunch of time. The fact is no coach who is sane is going to feature Bynum prominently when he breaks down and hasn't gotten close to going through a full season without even taking the extra banging, fatigue, and wear and tear that comes with being a first or second option. It just isn't logical. Just to be fair Odom was at 1180 and Artest at 697. Kobe is in that role because he can handle and fight through the pressure both mental and physical unlike the other two and because he is still the best guy at getting his own shots off and shots for others (which they need to address)

hard_candy
05-12-2011, 04:31 AM
Kobe barely shot 40% from the field in the nba finals that year. That's not a dominant scorer, that's someone taking (and missing) a huge number of bad shots, against an overmatched, inexperienced team.

Wade>You
05-12-2011, 04:35 AM
I don't understand why players would think like that. I think the Lakers could benefit from Bynum getting more touches because it makes them less predictable.

championships
05-12-2011, 05:00 AM
Bynum does need to "fall in line" and know his role on this team. When he plays defense and crashes the boards hard, The lakers win.

Jewelz0376
05-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Kobe barely shot 40% from the field in the nba finals that year. That's not a dominant scorer, that's someone taking (and missing) a huge number of bad shots, against an overmatched, inexperienced team.

How were the Celtics overmatched and inexperienced?

kblo247
05-12-2011, 05:08 AM

Boston was an overmatched, inexperienced team? :facepalm:

Dude averaged 29pts (most of any player), 8 rebs (more than KG), 4asts (led LA), 2stls, defended Rondo, and had the best transfer of his numbers on the road off all Lakers.

magichatnumber9
05-12-2011, 06:49 AM
I think Colby has been eating to much cuddlefish.

PHX2daDEATH
05-12-2011, 08:14 AM
... who do you trade the 31 year old softie or the aggressive 24 year old?? I think its obvious..Lakers need a true PF and a true PG to even think about winning a title next year..as far as Kobe goes, he needs to check his ego, If I were Bynum i'd be demanding a trade right about now..

Lost Art
05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
IMO the Lakers should trade Gasol for a legit PG and a couple of outside shooters.

Hate to say it but our bench is really missing the shooting of Sasha Vujacic, the athleticism of Trevor Ariza, and the speed / play making abilities of Jordan Farmar. I think Mitch has gotten a pass on some of the moves that he's made in the last couple of seasons (hell, he's even been applauded for them) but I think that if we would've kept the roster from the '08-'09 season we'd be in MUCH better shape right now.......and looking into the future. Mitch has done a bit too much tinkering with a championship roster, before we had a nice mix of young and veteran players, now we just look old.

BALLER R
05-12-2011, 10:41 AM
a true point gaurd would solve all this because kobe wouldnt have the ball in his hands as much he would play off the ball. bynum gets his touches as well as gasol. kobe needs to realize hes getting old and im a kobe fan so don't start with the why you hating....but he needs to start taking shots when needed not because you can. its time to become and efficient scorer going 5/21 isnt good. hes far to good to be doing that

Atticus Finch
05-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Kobe's been struggling to close / take over games all season, Pau's been a no show since the first couple months of the season, and Bynum's been on a tear since the allstar break. None of this stuff happened in the last two weeks.

Gasol averaged 20 and 10 in February and March, averaged 17 and 10 in 8 games in April, and Pau's "no-show" months were 17 points and between 9 and 10 boards. Bynum was on a defensive tear after the ASG, but nobody at the time was calling for him to become the #1 option over Kobe and Pau.

Bynum doesn't have the footwork to be a legit #1 option at center right now. I don't know how many times a game Bynum travels when the double team drops down, but it's clear to me that he gets uncomfortable/anxious/whatever you want to call it and it causes him to either shuffle his feet or throw up an awkward shot to avoid the travel. The upside is he's still 23 and has plenty of time to work on it, but for my money he needs to show us some consistency over the course of an entire season, not a month at a time, to become the top guy on the Lakers.

I honestly think Kobe and Bynum need to be less selfish, and Pau needs to be more selfish. This team constantly went away from the low block during long stretches, Pau needs to realize that and be more aggressive in attacking the basket and his defender.

THE_FLASH_21
05-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Bynum is gonna be a number 1 option, but for another team.....

Avenged
05-12-2011, 11:06 AM

the relatively new major of Douchebaggery has been studied by many prospective students across the globe from LeBrown James to Kanye West, but it appears colby is now going for his PhD!!

Colby is going to hold onto the notion that he is the number 1 option until he's a paraplegic, and even then he might try and retain it. Not good for Laker nation in the immediate future, because I suspect some serious conflicts ala 2004 in the near future.

Kobe definitely needs to fall in line too.

I still don't think Bynum is a guy where you can just feed the ball to and watch score...his offensive game isn't that great yet. He's best off as a 3rd option honestly. He's best cleaning up after others, getting the ball when he's wide open (not forcing it) and doing the dirty work. He's not a Pau offensively yet.

Bynum should get the ball a lot more. He's the surest 2 points on the team. Plus you should always run the ball through your big man an offence, especially one that good.

Agree with all these, some to an extent.

Kobe is coming off as selfish.. Not even a couple seasons ago when the Lakers acquired Pau did he sound like he is right now. I think all this talk about his game declining is getting to his head and wants to prove everyone wrong. Ehh, next season the Lakers may see Kobe shooting more FG's than this season.

I do agree that Bynum should "fall in line", his time will come eventually once his play continues to do the talking. But Kobe has to know, or at least be willing to share the ball a lot more now with Bynum emerging.

Car Ramrod
05-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I would have Bynum work on passing over the summer. If he gets first touch down low someone will be open. He's a tank you can get in front of him but only Howard can match up. Use him to draw a double team like they did with Shaq and they kick it out to Pau or Kobe. Those two guys will have unreal numbers.

I can see a better use of Bynum, but I would spend alot of time making sure he knows what to do when he gets the ball and recognize when the double team is coming. Hours of Kareem and Webber footage should help. If an effective big man can pass they are tough to stop.

Margie
05-12-2011, 11:25 AM
That's why the Lakers need a point guard. to take the ball out of that shootnuts hand! He's killing the Lakers with his illadvise 3 pt shots and his turnovers trying to drive in the hole.

lakerfan3118
05-13-2011, 03:15 PM
I think the important thing to consider about Kobe's comments is that his view of the Lakers offensive hierarchy could potentially have implications on any trade that being considered in the offseason. He is a proud player that sounds unwilling to defer to another player at this stage of his career. If the Lakers make a serious move for Dwight Howard, for example, does Kobe sound like a player that would shift his offensive focus to compliment him and Pau Gasol more equally? It really doesn't sound like it.

lakerfan3118
05-13-2011, 03:30 PM
IMO the Lakers should trade Gasol for a legit PG and a couple of outside shooters.

Hate to say it but our bench is really missing the shooting of Sasha Vujacic, the athleticism of Trevor Ariza, and the speed / play making abilities of Jordan Farmar. I think Mitch has gotten a pass on some of the moves that he's made in the last couple of seasons (hell, he's even been applauded for them) but I think that if we would've kept the roster from the '08-'09 season we'd be in MUCH better shape right now.......and looking into the future. Mitch has done a bit too much tinkering with a championship roster, before we had a nice mix of young and veteran players, now we just look old.

Ummm, there's a reason why the Lakers didn't keep the team they had in '08/09-- because they simply could not afford them given their financial obligations.

Consider Vladamir Radmonovic's salary, who was given a fairly large contract after Shaq's departure and was traded away primarily because of the luxury tax resulting from the Pau trade. He was also ultimately not worth the money and shipped, a fairly decent cost cutting measure. Remember Adam Morrison? He was nothing other than a cost cutting measure. Ronny Turiaf was another player that was let go to because the Lakers could also not afford the salary offered by the Knicks because it compromised their salary flexibility. Jordan Farmar wanted more time and a bigger contract, and Sasha Vujacic was traded to get his contract off the books.

About the only player you could make an argument for is Ariza, but I'm convinced Artest was one of the predominant reasons why the Lakers won a championship at all last year.

braveniler58
05-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Kobe's pulling an Iverson.

hyb152
05-13-2011, 05:48 PM

x2. Bynum should be the first option. Either bynum or gasol. Bryant still doesn't realize that Shaq was the main option in the early 2000's. The last 2 titles LA won were because Gasol got the first touches. Bryant jacked all the shots this year and they got swept. I know Gasol wasn't playing great, but Bynum was. Bryant still doesn't get it. Well, maybe he does. He just won't publicly say that which is understandable. The lakers have success when they have a dominant post player getting a lot of looks, whether that's Bynum or Gasol.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Phil Jackson really screwed things up this year.

For one, he kept Kobe out of half of the 4th quarters and left the bench in.

and Two, he kept Bynum restricted with the offense.

2 things will change next year if we leave the triangle, Bynum and Kobe will run the pick and roll and easily win the championship. :)

kArSoN RyDaH
05-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Bynum had one good playoffs and he thinks he can call the shots?

He's not a guy who can take over a game.

Kobe, given the minutes (in 4th qrtr) from Phil Jackson, could have been taking over just as he did last year.

Fnom11
05-13-2011, 08:12 PM
When you have a big with the size and talent Bynum has, he should always be #1 option imo

Meloman
05-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Kobe and Bynum really seem to have issues as teammates, this has been going on for years.

koreancabbage
05-13-2011, 08:44 PM
they just a need a point guard.

Lake_Show2416
05-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Kobe and Bynum really seem to have issues as teammates, this has been going on for years.

"Who the **** is Andrew Bynum? We talking J. Kidd" :laugh2:

- Kobe Bryant

thats y he's not our GM

lakerfan3118
05-13-2011, 09:58 PM
they just a need a point guard.

They've done fine without one for the past few years...

lakersfan01
05-13-2011, 10:17 PM

Amen, perfectly said!!!!!!!!!! I wonder what the new coach will do with Kobe's unwillingness to be "part" of the offense. Kobe eats first, how did that work out this year? Geez, even game 7 last year vs Celtics he was 6-24.

hyb152
05-14-2011, 03:06 AM
Phil Jackson really screwed things up this year.

For one, he kept Kobe out of half of the 4th quarters and left the bench in.

and Two, he kept Bynum restricted with the offense.

2 things will change next year if we leave the triangle, Bynum and Kobe will run the pick and roll and easily win the championship. :)

you're giving bryant wayyyyyy too much credit. it's a team game and bynum should be the focal point. if not bynum, then gasol. to the casual fan, it would be confusing to understand so I get why you're frustrated lol

MalZee24
05-14-2011, 03:12 AM
Bynum had one good playoffs and he thinks he can call the shots?

He's not a guy who can take over a game.

Kobe, given the minutes (in 4th qrtr) from Phil Jackson, could have been taking over just as he did last year.

Dude no.... you fail to understand on so many different levels here, I don't know where to begin. I'm backing up Bynum in this case. Bryant's wrong.

Jewelz0376
05-14-2011, 05:51 AM
Lol some people on here funny...Bynum has a good month and a half...now all of a sudden he's a #1 option on a championship team

drobe86
05-14-2011, 10:43 AM
I think they are both overrated players that need to stfu. Bynum had a few good games, and Kobe is declining. Neither one of them was the single handedly lost the series for the Lakers. The Lakers just suck as a team

thekmp211
05-14-2011, 04:20 PM
kobe needs to "pull his head out of his ***".

honestly, a lot of my kobe hate has gone away over the years, but the guy is an unparalleled egomaniac. all bynum needs to do is "stay healthy". if he does that, he is as good an option as bryant and gasol.

the new head coach is going to have to somehow get it through kobe's head that these guys need to develop as options if the lakers want to return to prominence. it seems, at this point, that the aging celtics stars are far more open to this than kobe is. oh well.

naps
05-14-2011, 05:29 PM
WTF!? Kobe will always be the ballhog like he's been for his entire career. What a moron. He should realize that he needs to stop chucking, be less selfish, and play efficiently. Kobe should play the paul pierce role now. Let Bynum and Gasol dominate on the offensive end. This lakers team can win more ships just like 2004 lakers team could if they didn't trade Shaq...and Shaq was traded for Kobe the ballhog as well...hmmm..surprise?

Chronz
05-14-2011, 08:48 PM
I would have Bynum work on passing over the summer. If he gets first touch down low someone will be open. He's a tank you can get in front of him but only Howard can match up. Use him to draw a double team like they did with Shaq and they kick it out to Pau or Kobe. Those two guys will have unreal numbers.

I can see a better use of Bynum, but I would spend alot of time making sure he knows what to do when he gets the ball and recognize when the double team is coming. Hours of Kareem and Webber footage should help. If an effective big man can pass they are tough to stop.

You there, post more often.

Storch
05-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Okay that's it. I'm off of the Kobe bandwagon. :mad: What kind of a team player talks like that. :mad:

airforceones25
05-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Kobe meltdown..

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/14820e72b5/kobe-byrant-s-post-game-meltdown?ref=nf

championships
05-15-2011, 12:08 AM
One thing you guys don't seem to realize.

If you put the workload on Bynum and make him #1 option, He will either break down or blow out one of his week knees in like 2 months.

Chill_Will_24
05-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Kobe meltdown..

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/14820e72b5/kobe-byrant-s-post-game-meltdown?ref=nf

:laugh: :laugh:

"You can't win with a dry mamba! The mamba needs to be moisturized..." :laugh:

championships
05-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Bynum just needs to worry about being the defensive anchor for this team. If he could become a DPOY type player, The Lakers would be a tough team to beat.

PrettyBoyJ
05-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Kobe is right.. I understand he's getting old but he's still the biggest threat on the floor.. if anything Bynum should move to 2nd option other then that kobe should still get his shots he's Kobe!

lakerfan3118
05-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Okay that's it. I'm off of the Kobe bandwagon. :mad: What kind of a team player talks like that. :mad:

...a team player that has had the responsibility of being this team's primary offensive option for a significant part of his career. It would be out of character, to put it lightly, for the Kobe Bryant that the NBA has known for years to step out of his role coming off a season where he was among leaders in points scored. It's just not going to happen. Quite frankly, Kobe Bryant being the primary scorer is going to be a reality for the Lakers for as long as he's tenured with the team-- a right, in my opinion, he's earned.

And ultimately, were Bryant's comments even that controversial to begin with? He was commenting a truth about the team's offensive structure which not many people would seriously argue otherwise. Fact of the matter is, Bynum is the Lakers third primary option and will continue to be while both Gasol and Kobe are serviceable players, which could be a least a few seasons.

magic0320
05-15-2011, 01:12 AM
good thing none of you guys are coaching Lakers...

0nekhmer
05-15-2011, 12:01 PM
maybe it's a respect thing