PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't anybody talk about the Lakers as major players in the FA Class of 2012?

KnickFanSince91
05-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I was watching the game the other night and heard Jon Barry mention how the Lakers had a bunch of terrible contracts that can't be moved so I checked my favorite team salary site (considering that Barry is almost always wrong in just about anything he says) and stumbled on the fact that the Lakers will be sitting pretty in the summer of 2012, regardless of the CBA.

They have $24million in team options on Bynum and Odom. They could move Gasol and his $19mil for expirings (one example would be to Boston for Ray Allen +Jermain Oneal + Filler) and that would put them around $33 mil in salaries, before moving Artest.

The point is while the media, Knicks and Nets fans are busy talking about CP3, D12 and DWill, nobody seems to notice that the Lakers can sign two out of the three outright with only some very realistic maneuvering. How is this going under the radar like the sky is falling in LA when they could set up another dynasty in another 12 months?

ChitownSports16
05-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Have you not seen D12 to the Lakers Threads????

Chi StateOfMind
05-11-2011, 01:01 PM
:confused: D12 :shrug:

Raven-Lunatic
05-11-2011, 01:02 PM
The Lakers will have a hard time moving those contracts because the players are 30 years of age and up. Not many teams are gonna take a 30+ year old player with a big contract. Lakers are on the hook to Kobe(32) alone for 83.5 million for the next 4 years and that's not to mention Gasol (30), Matt Barnes (31), Artest (31), Walton (31) and Blake (31). All are under contract next year and some beyond that. Only real trade pieces they have are Bynam and Odom(31 yrs. 17 million left on contract).

KnickFanSince91
05-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Have you not seen D12 to the Lakers Threads????

I saw alot of scenarios where they trade for him but haven't seen anybody mention how they could sign a top pg to go along with Dwight straight up next summer. Forgive me if it was already brought up but I didn't catch it.

JordansBulls
05-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I was watching the game the other night and heard Jon Barry mention how the Lakers had a bunch of terrible contracts that can't be moved so I checked my favorite team salary site (considering that Barry is almost always wrong in just about anything he says) and stumbled on the fact that the Lakers will be sitting pretty in the summer of 2012, regardless of the CBA.

They have $24million in team options on Bynum and Odom. They could move Gasol and his $19mil for expirings (one example would be to Boston for Ray Allen +Jermain Oneal + Filler) and that would put them around $33 mil in salaries, before moving Artest.

The point is while the media, Knicks and Nets fans are busy talking about CP3, D12 and DWill, nobody seems to notice that the Lakers can sign two out of the three outright with only some very realistic maneuvering. How is this going under the radar like the sky is falling in LA when they could set up another dynasty in another 12 months?

Because we have been talking about the Lakers since 2000. It's time for some other teams to get some shine.:)

KnickFanSince91
05-11-2011, 01:13 PM
The Lakers will have a hard time moving those contracts because the players are 30 years of age and up. Not many teams are gonna take a 30+ year old player with a big contract. Lakers are on the hook to Kobe(32) alone for 83.5 million for the next 4 years and that's not to mention Gasol (30), Matt Barnes (31), Artest (31), Walton (31) and Blake (31). All are under contract next year and some beyond that. Only real trade pieces they have are Bynam and Odom(31 yrs. 17 million left on contract).

There is really only one contract they would have to trade and that's Gasol's. Boston, Cleveland, or Orlando have the pieces to make it work and I'm probably missing another team or two. People are low on him right now, but he's still a valuable trade asset even at his age.

Super.
05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
The Celtics will have enough cap room for a max contract plus another decent FA.

And unlike the Lakers, they don't have to move anyone. A resigning of Jeff Green, and you've got a lucrative core to attract a major FA.

Rondo
-
Pierce
Green
-

KG is expected to retire, I don't know how well he'd relegate to being a bench player anyways. But this leaves two big positions to be filled via FA, and the Celtics have the cap to do it

arkanian215
05-11-2011, 01:17 PM
There is really only one contract they would have to trade and that's Gasol's. Boston, Cleveland, or Orlando have the pieces to make it work and I'm probably missing another team or two. People are low on him right now, but he's still a valuable trade asset even at his age.

It looks like they have $91 million in team salaries (including Bynum's). Kobe takes up $27 million alone. Unless the CBA drastically changes, they won't have cap space.

Super.
05-11-2011, 01:17 PM

There is no way that Boston trades for Pau Gasol. The entire of the fan population hates him. It would be an awful PR move.

Tarheels23
05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
If they dont make any trades the lakers will have a little over $56 million on the books of garunteed money. There are the $24 mil in team options on Bynum and Odom. And another $10m in player options from Artest and Fisher. They are not in good position as of right now.

But have you seen the rumors about CP3 or Dwight going to LA?

Raven-Lunatic
05-11-2011, 01:23 PM
It looks like they have $91 million in team salaries (including Bynum's). Kobe takes up $27 million alone. Unless the CBA drastically changes, they won't have cap space.

This years salary is 91 million. Next year is gonna be 93 million. Plus they would have to sign Dwight to a new deal or a extension.

PhillyFaninLA
05-11-2011, 01:25 PM

You argument is helped when you post a link you talk about so we can see the information that led to your opinion. If its a credible site it lends credibility as well.

Tarheels23
05-11-2011, 01:26 PM

Why would teams like Boston, Cleveland or Orlando would want Gasol and his big $$$$ when he will be 31 this summer and those teams will probably in get younger/rebuild mode?

nickdymez
05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Because we have been talking about the Lakers since 2000. It's time for some other teams to get some shine.:)

They will when they start winning like the lakers:cool:

Hawkeye15
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

Unless they clear a lot of room by trading Bynum or Gasol for expirings, there is no way they have money to sign anyone of importance. And do you really think the Lakers will look to dump a bunch of salary, which nearly guarantees weakening the team for a season, in Kobe's last years? The Lakers are a win now organization. They don't really do moves like this.

The only way they get Dwight is hoping that Otis comes to his senses, and realizes that he may not get anything for Dwight unless he trades him, and demands Bynum and pieces for Dwight. Probably not happening.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-11-2011, 01:36 PM
any team will look good in FA if you just hypothetically trade all their huge contracts for expirings.

But the facts are that LA is already quite a few mil over the cap for 2012, even if they decline all team options and have all player options declined. That's why nobody talks about it, because there IS NO CAP ROOM. End thread.

ManRam
05-11-2011, 01:39 PM

The CBA wouldn't change allowing teams to spend more money on contracts...if anything, the changes would hurt teams with huge payrolls.

Hawkeye15
05-11-2011, 01:43 PM
any team will look good in FA if you just hypothetically trade all their huge contracts for expirings.

But the facts are that LA is already quite a few mil over the cap for 2012, even if they decline all team options and have all player options declined. That's why nobody talks about it, because there IS NO CAP ROOM. End thread.

pretty much nailed it. Until the Lakers show the committment to start slashing payroll to be way under in 2012, its a not topic of discussion.

daleja424
05-11-2011, 01:47 PM
What are you talking about sitting pretty? Kobe by himself will be taking half of the teams cap space (28 mil that year). Then there is Gasol making 19 mil who will be near impossible to move. Artest and Walton combine to eat up another 10 mil. Thats all the cap space right there. Thats assuming they decline player options on Bynum and Odom...

If they do decline those options and manage to trade Gasol and Artest to free up money for a max player why would a FA want to come play with old man Kobe and literally no one else (since Kobe + one max is essentially at the cap number already)?

daleja424
05-11-2011, 01:50 PM

I wouldnt have had to post had I seen this...

this pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue pretty well...

tbomlad
05-11-2011, 01:52 PM

Unless they clear a lot of room by trading Bynum or Gasol for expirings, there is no way they have money to sign anyone of importance. And do you really think the Lakers will look to dump a bunch of salary, which nearly guarantees weakening the team for a season, in Kobe's last years? The Lakers are a win now organization. They don't really do moves like this.

The only way they get Dwight is hoping that Otis comes to his senses, and realizes that he may not get anything for Dwight unless he trades him, and demands Bynum and pieces for Dwight. Probably not happening.

WRONG! All the leverage is on the Magic side. They know that the Lakers cannot sign Dwight outright and will become desperate to make a deal. And if you think that the Lakers are the only team whose going to put up an offer or even the best offer you're insane. For example, it's rumored that OK City is going to offer a deal because they would love to pair Howard & Durant together for the next ten years and are willing to include Westbrook in a deal. You don't think the Magic will jump on a Westbrook, Harden, & Ibaka for Howard deal. There's nothing the Lakers can offer better that that deal. Teams are going to give their left arm for Dwight Howard, make no mistake about that. THE MAGIC WILL NOT BE DESPERATE AT ALL.

jezzyman05
05-11-2011, 02:05 PM
WRONG! All the leverage is on the Magic side. They know that the Lakers cannot sign Dwight outright and will become desperate to make a deal. And if you think that the Lakers are the only team whose going to put up an offer or even the best offer you're insane. For example, it's rumored that OK City is going to offer a deal because they would love to pair Howard & Durant together for the next ten years and are willing to include Westbrook in a deal. You don't think the Magic will jump on a Westbrook, Harden, & Ibaka for Howard deal. There's nothing the Lakers can offer better that that deal. Teams are going to give their left arm for Dwight Howard, make no mistake about that. THE MAGIC WILL NOT BE DESPERATE AT ALL.

I agree with this except for the OKC deal involving Westbrook, The thunder are pretty much the Spurs old front office, meaning they were all groomed by the man himself R.C. Buford, and I can tell you I don't see the thunder offering that they are a very young team they just signed Perkins to an extension. It makes no sense to trade for Perkins, give him an extension only to deal him a year later, make no sense. The thunder are have a very good front office thats knows better than to give into another teams demands for superstar when you currently have 2 of them.

but I do agree on any teams giving thier left arm for Dwight Howard.

Hawkeye15
05-11-2011, 02:07 PM

I am not wrong. I said the only way the Lakers get Dwight is thru the actions of the Magic. I didn't say it would happen, and quite frankly I don't think the Lakers will acquire Dwight unless they offer the best package, which they probably won't do, because there are some teams out there that would throw the bank at Orlando compared to what LA can give them in players and PICKS, something the Magic would be looking for if they traded away their franchise player.

TO to the CHI
05-11-2011, 02:21 PM

Hawkeye clarifies his position below, but the short answer is that he was not saying the Magic would deal Dwight for Bynum, but rather that that scenario is the Lakers' best hope. I think the Lakers could make the most intriguing offer however, because they can package Bynum with someone like Odom and a couple of other pieces (a guy like Brown or picks) and then take back Howard and Turkoglu. This would provide the Magic with more benefit (imo) than simply receiving a better talent (Westbrook as compared to Bynum) without maximizing cap relief. If you believe that the Thunder are going to give up Westrbook, Harden, and Ibaka for Howard, you are going to be very disappointed with what the Magic actually get for him (assuming he is traded). A Thunder package of Westbrook and Perkins (or maybe Westbrook and Ibaka without Harden) is far more likely, especially considering that the Thunder have very shrewd management.

The Magic certainly have no need to be desperate. However, if Dwight decides that he is going to leave, history reflects that the Magic are likely to lose the deal over the long run. It is very difficult to win NBA trades in which you are giving up the best player. And before anyone points to the Melo trade, let's give it a few years of perspective before we evaluate it.

I for one hope that the Magic are able to keep Dwight because I think could have long term ramifications on the franchise if it can't.

jrm2054
05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Bc according to this site they will have D12 by that time

YankeesR#2
05-11-2011, 02:39 PM

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Look at the deal Denver got. Orlasndo is going to expect something more and I'm not sure the Lakers have what it will take.
L A Lakers, where 11 championships happen!

JordansBulls
05-11-2011, 02:40 PM
They will when they start winning like the lakers:cool:

It's all part of being a winning organization. Been to half the nba finals in nba history and have 16 titles. Had been to 24 finals and won 11 titles prior to year 2000.

todu82
05-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Can't see it happening either. It would cost to much money to bring in these players because I really can't see a team taking on the salary of some of the Lakers' players.

BigCityofDreams
05-11-2011, 02:50 PM
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Look at the deal Denver got. Orlasndo is going to expect something more and I'm not sure the Lakers have what it will take.

They can always involve a third team.

Da Knicks
05-11-2011, 02:59 PM

pretty much this....

mttwlsn16
05-11-2011, 03:04 PM

such as the clippers :D

after all, there are 2 teams in LA :clap:

D-Block21-Chito
05-11-2011, 03:05 PM
The Celtics will have enough cap room for a max contract plus another decent FA.

And unlike the Lakers, they don't have to move anyone. A resigning of Jeff Green, and you've got a lucrative core to attract a major FA.

Rondo
-
Pierce
Green
-

KG is expected to retire, I don't know how well he'd relegate to being a bench player anyways. But this leaves two big positions to be filled via FA, and the Celtics have the cap to do it

Oh man oh man... I would love to see ronda,dwight and pierce together. That would be sick

jezzyman05
05-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Hawkeye clarifies his position below, but the short answer is that he was not saying the Magic would deal Dwight for Bynum, but rather that that scenario is the Lakers' best hope. I think the Lakers could make the most intriguing offer however, because they can package Bynum with someone like Odom and a couple of other pieces (a guy like Brown or picks) and then take back Howard and Turkoglu. This would provide the Magic with more benefit (imo) than simply receiving a better talent (Westbrook as compared to Bynum) without maximizing cap relief. If you believe that the Thunder are going to give up Westrbook, Harden, and Ibaka for Howard, you are going to be very disappointed with what the Magic actually get for him (assuming he is traded). A Thunder package of Westbrook and Perkins (or maybe Westbrook and Ibaka without Harden) is far more likely, especially considering that the Thunder have very shrewd management.

The Magic certainly have no need to be desperate. However, if Dwight decides that he is going to leave, history reflects that the Magic are likely to lose the deal over the long run. It is very difficult to win NBA trades in which you are giving up the best player. And before anyone points to the Melo trade, let's give it a few years of perspective before we evaluate it.

I for one hope that the Magic are able to keep Dwight because I think could have long term ramifications on the franchise if it can't.

I couldn't agree more you took the words right out of my mouth....good post

Raven-Lunatic
05-11-2011, 03:08 PM
They can always involve a third team.

Very true they could involve a third team but it all comes back to the age and salaries of the Lakers players. Most teams are trying to get younger talent and spend less money. Too bad Jerry West isn't still running the Grizzlies or else the Lakers could do another lopsided deal. :)

jezzyman05
05-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Once Otis clicks send on the NBA rumor wire his ohone will ring off the hook trying to make a trade for dwight howard.....

BigCityofDreams
05-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Very true they could involve a third team but it all comes back to the age and salaries of the Lakers players. Most teams are trying to get younger talent and spend less money. Too bad Jerry West isn't still running the Grizzlies or else the Lakers could do another lopsided deal. :)

Jerry West is the gift that keeps on giving.

At the time it was a bad deal but I'm sure the fans in Memphis are happy with it now.

D1JM
05-11-2011, 03:11 PM
kobe taking up $27 million? is he really worth that much?

koreancabbage

i don't think so. they got $72 million locked up next year (plus Green's qualifying offer at $6million) and with the CBA probably knocking down the salary cap, they only have money with MLE and vet's min probably.

edit: sorry i thought this free agency. i know now you mean after 11/12 season where D12 is free agent.

well i don';t think D12 will make it to free agency if he says he's not resigning. Otis will trade him for the best pieces available like expirings,draft picks or reload on another young center.

don't see Boston getting him cuz he won't be a free agent.

jezzyman05

Or better maybe the Lakers can hope that Otis gets fired and they hire Jerry West as GM.

D1JM
05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
laker fans hoping otis smith caves in, you should first wait until this new cba is set in stone. owners are pushing for some form of a franchise tag.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
They're not going to be FA players barring an unexpected turn of events. They are however, in good position to trade for Dwight if he is actually moved.

jezzyman05
05-11-2011, 03:21 PM
if the owners get a franchise tag then Howard, Paul, and D-Will are all staying put

Raven-Lunatic
05-11-2011, 03:23 PM
if the owners get a franchise tag then Howard, Paul, and D-Will are all staying put

That is very true. They proposed going with the franchise tag today. If that goes through then it will change free agency forever. I'm curious to see if the players association goes for it.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Rondo
-
Pierce
Green
-

I doubt Dwight signs w/ the Celts as currently constructed. The only way Dwight ends up signing w/ BOS is if they trade for CP3 IMO. People keep talking about ORL maybe taking Bynum for Dwight because, even though he's a lesser player, he gives them something. I think you could apply a similar line of thinking to CP3-Rondo. If NO decides to move CP3, a package arround Rondo may be somewhat attractive.

BOS gets: CP3
NO gets: Rondo, Jeff Green (S&T), LAC 2012 1st rounder, 2011 BOS 1st rounder

I think if BOS made that trade they could potentially make a very deep playoff run next season. That might convince CP3 to stay and to get Dwight to come. Let's say each signed for 14 mil (taking a little less than max, like the MIA boys).

That would put BOS at $46,421,143 for CP3, Pierce, Avery Bradley, and Dwight. That leaves about 10 mil in cap room. Maybe you convince Ray and KG to split it and take MLE type money each for one last run at the title. Or you could use it to make a trade for a 10 mil type player.

This is HIGHLY unlikely, but it's the only way I see Dwight to BOS as a possibility. Otherwise, I just don't think we're an attractive enough place to come.

BigCityofDreams
05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
laker fans hoping otis smith caves in, you should first wait until this new cba is set in stone. owners are pushing for some form of a franchise tag.

Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Raven-Lunatic
05-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I doubt Dwight signs w/ the Celts as currently constructed. The only way Dwight ends up signing w/ BOS is if they trade for CP3 IMO. People keep talking about ORL maybe taking Bynum for Dwight because, even though he's a lesser player, he gives them something. I think you could apply a similar line of thinking to CP3-Rondo. If NO decides to move CP3, a package arround Rondo may be somewhat attractive.

I think if BOS made that trade they could potentially make a very deep playoff run next season. That might convince CP3 to stay and to get Dwight to come. Let's say each signed for 14 mil (taking a little less than max, like the MIA boys).

That would put BOS at $46,421,143 for CP3, Pierce, Avery Bradley, and Dwight. That leaves about 10 mil in cap room. Maybe you convince Ray and KG to split it and take MLE type money each for one last run at the title. Or you could use it to make a trade for a 10 mil type player.

This is HIGHLY unlikely, but it's the only way I see Dwight to BOS as a possibility. Otherwise, I just don't think we're an attractive enough place to come.

Boston's team salary for next year is 65.8M. Also KG is under contract next year for 21.2M, Ray has a player option worth 10M. You might have to rework your numbers. Plus factor in CP3s new deal or extension. With all of that they won't have any money left over for a supporting cast.

BigCityofDreams
05-11-2011, 03:34 PM
SMH @ a franchise tag how much more help do these teams want. They have bird rights, restricted free agency as well as the ability to match offer sheets and pay their players more than an opposing club.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Boston's team salary for next year is 65.8M. Also KG is under contract next year for 21.2M, Ray has a player option worth 10M. You might have to rework your numbers. Plus factor in CP3s new deal or extension. With all of that they won't have any money left over for a supporting cast.

My numbers were for next offseason, not this coming one. The Rondo/Green for CP3 trade works salary wise (David Anderson might have to be included though).

Then in the summer that Dwight and CP3 are FAs, BOS would only have Pierce and Avery Bradley on the books. The scenario I outlined makes financial sense, but, as I said, isn't likely or practical. I just can't see Dwight and/or CP3 in BOS.

TO to the CHI
05-11-2011, 03:41 PM

I respect you as a Celtics fan for coming up with a very realistic proposal, but being honest, I think you are really overpaying for CP3. He is better than Rondo, but I don't think he is Green and 2 firsts better, especially when considering his tenuous contract situation and the greater concerns about his health. I agree with the premise that adding CP3 to Boston makes them a real competitor though to land Dwight. I just think he would also enjoy playing with Rondo.

Raven-Lunatic
05-11-2011, 03:43 PM
My numbers were for next offseason, not this coming one. The Rondo/Green for CP3 trade works salary wise (David Anderson might have to be included though).

Then in the summer that Dwight and CP3 are FAs, BOS would only have Pierce and Avery Bradley on the books. The scenario I outlined makes financial sense, but, as I said, isn't likely or practical. I just can't see Dwight and/or CP3 in BOS.

Oh ok my mistake.

nycericanguy
05-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Well OKC or any team won't offer that kind of deal unless Howard agrees to sign there.

And Howard has no need to ask for a trade like Melo did because Howard won't have to worry about a new CBA. He will be free to go into FAgency without a new CBA worrying him.

Also the DEN deal is up in the air right now. Felton doesn't want to be there, & Chandler appears to have been damaged goods as he heads for his 3rd surgery on the same ankle after he disappeared in the playoffs.

Billups looks like he will be in NY only another year too.

So at the end of the day that DEN deal looks like it will basically be Melo for Gallo, Mosgov & a couple of late picks. Of course maybe DEN can turn Felton into another pick which would help.

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Gasol to the celtics?

I stopped reading after that.

You woudl basically be Handing the next ring into your worst rivals hands.

ne3xchamps
05-11-2011, 03:52 PM

no. kobe isn't 22 anymore.

ne3xchamps
05-11-2011, 03:54 PM

if we got cp3, rondo's 11M + would come off, but add a few more for CP3's extension, so the numbers would almost be identical. But I'm willing to be PP, KG, and ray would be willing to rework their contracts to take a couple more runs at a ring before they hang them up.

TO to the CHI
05-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Gasol to the celtics?

I stopped reading after that.

You woudl basically be Handing the next ring into your worst rivals hands.

I love reading your posts to see just how far you will go in your Gasol related homerdon. Awesome.

Lake_Show2416
05-11-2011, 04:13 PM

yes he is, when ur a superstar leading ur team to multiple championships ur rewarded with a max contract. he's earned it

it's not like he's won only 1 title this decade & was contant with it, he's proven to be a winner over & over again & not a 1 hit wonder like other players/teams

RaiderLakersA's
05-11-2011, 05:20 PM

Is that a philosophical question or a sports business question? This is PSD, so my guess is that you already know the answer to that question. He's worth it on the floor. He's worth it at the gate. He's worth it in even the most ancillary sectors of the Lakers/NBA business model.

Tony_Starks
05-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Lakers will make some moves but I doubt it will be the big blockbusters that everyone gossips about. People are in panic mode right now but at the end of the day there's no need to blow the team up. A couple of decent moves would put them right back where they need to be, including getting a defensive minded coach......

Ripper Gein
05-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Rondo
-
Pierce
Green
-

Yeah but you forget the fact that NO ELITE FREE AGENTS SIGN in boston.

Ripper Gein
05-11-2011, 06:08 PM
L A Lakers, where 16 championships happen!

Fixed, Haters gonna hate.

Jewelz0376
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
If I were gm of the Lakers i'd be able to get Cp3, D12, and Iggy in 1 off season...I can do it on 2k

Sportfan
05-11-2011, 06:29 PM
nvm

Raven-Lunatic
05-11-2011, 08:09 PM
if we got cp3, rondo's 11M + would come off, but add a few more for CP3's extension, so the numbers would almost be identical. But I'm willing to be PP, KG, and ray would be willing to rework their contracts to take a couple more runs at a ring before they hang them up.

This is the NBA not the NFL they can't "rework" their deals. Before Washington traded Gilbert Arenas he wanted to rework his deal but couldn't do it. The Deals are set. Celtics owe KG 21.7M next year and Ray has a 10M option that I'm sure he'll pick up.