PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the wizards will change their name in the future?

nattyo
05-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Here's the article on Ted Leonis about changing the name back to the bullets. I agree I don't like wizards at all. But Im still a fan. Here's the article on Leonis changing the name of the Wizards-http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/5/10/2164115/washington-wizards-jerseys-photos-name-change-ted-leonsis

What does he mean by intellectual property and it taking 25 months or something. I guess from a business stand point (not a fan), their were certain issues that would be too much maybe?

Muttman73
05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Viva los Bulletts

Hangtime
05-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Go Bulletts.

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 11:36 AM
i hope so.

Tarheels23
05-11-2011, 11:38 AM
DC has one of the worst gun problems in the country. They are not going back to the Bullets.

theheatles
05-11-2011, 11:43 AM
DC has one of the worst gun problems in the country. They are not going back to the Bullets.

...and changing the name to the wizards didn't do anything about that...might as well change it back to the to the bullets:shrug:

Hitman21
05-11-2011, 11:43 AM
maybe if we didnt have the gilbert incident

Big Zo
05-11-2011, 11:49 AM
If not Bullets, at least change it to something else. They easily have the worst name in the NBA and that's a pretty strong statement, considering there's a team calling themselves the Jazz in Utah, and a team calling themselves the Lakers in Los Angeles.

Iodine
05-11-2011, 11:53 AM
DC John Walls

ink
05-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Here's the article on Ted Leonis about changing the name back to the bullets. I agree I don't like wizards at all. But Im still a fan. Here's the article on Leonis changing the name of the Wizards-http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/5/10/2164115/washington-wizards-jerseys-photos-name-change-ted-leonsis

What does he mean by intellectual property and it taking 25 months or something. I guess from a business stand point (not a fan), their were certain issues that would be too much maybe?

Well their new uniforms have nothing to do with Wizards so they better make a change. The new unis look more like costumes from a 1950's circus.

RaiderLakersA's
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Washington Pav Lows?

Chi StateOfMind
05-11-2011, 12:24 PM
The Bullets were the best name for them. Wizards is a garbage name and need to change sooner rather then later. The jerseys have nothing to do with Wizards.

3Blueforyou
05-11-2011, 12:25 PM
...and changing the name to the wizards didn't do anything about that...might as well change it back to the to the bullets:shrug:

Really its bad press they do not really need, some wife of a republican candidate will use it as some political scheme in an attempt to gain votes. People are way to sensitive to their problems now. IMO will never happen, but personally think it would be a good name.

Iodine
05-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Does anyone even remember why they stopped being the bullets?

It's because one of Abe Pollin's friends/world leaders/Israel PM Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated. There not going to be the bullets again, no matter how much you think it sounds cool in NBA 2k11, there are reasons much bigger than basketball.

KingPosey
05-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I think they should. What possessed them to choose the name "Wizards"? It is a weak name for a sports franchise.

Savage Sunday
05-11-2011, 05:01 PM
I think they should. What possessed them to choose the name "Wizards"? It is a weak name for a sports franchise.

Answer here:

Does anyone even remember why they stopped being the bullets?

It's because one of Abe Pollin's friends/world leaders/Israel PM Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated. There not going to be the bullets again, no matter how much you think it sounds cool in NBA 2k11, there are reasons much bigger than basketball.

Savage Sunday
05-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Changing the name to Wizards removed the connotation to the gun crimes in Washington DC and as Iodine pointed out the assasination of one of Abe Polin's friends.

Washington Wizards rolls off the tongue easily and is what most people refer to them as. I highly doubt the average member is old enough to even remember how pathetic the Washington Bullets franchise was for about 18 straight years.

Iodine
05-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Changing the name to Wizards removed the connotation to the gun crimes in Washington DC and as Iodine pointed out the assasination of one of Abe Polin's friends.

Washington Wizards rolls off the tongue easily and is what most people refer to them as. I highly doubt the average member is old enough to even remember how pathetic the Washington Bullets franchise was for about 18 straight years.

I seriously doubt many people on PSD could name many bullets besides unseld, the big E, and a burnt out Bernard King

CeeDub15
05-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I think it would be sweet. Kind of wierd with the shooting incidents there tho.

ChongInc.
05-11-2011, 10:42 PM
The dead bin laden's

Raven-Lunatic
05-12-2011, 08:11 AM

It was either Wizards or Sea Dogs. I think they made the right decision. At the time of the name change Washington was the murder capital of the US. That was the reason for the change. They will be the Bullets again. If you look at the new uniforms the only time you see the name "Wizards" is across the chest of the home jersey. That can easily be replaced.

PHX2daDEATH
05-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Rod Strickland, Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, Harvey Grant

Hey the KKK calls their leaders "Wizards" is that any worse then Bullets?

aussie
05-12-2011, 08:50 AM
we should probs just move them to california like every other team in the nba

NYKnicksAllDay
05-12-2011, 12:01 PM
If they decide to change their name I don't think they would change back to Bullets for reasons already stated. I could see them changing it to a name similar to Capitals or Nationals though.

Jaji
05-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Hopefully. Maybe they should pick something more indicative of the area like the DC Crackheads or the Washington Bullets.

Jaji
05-12-2011, 12:54 PM
A little off topic but the Redskins need to change their name too. Redskin is literally a racial slur. Wouldn't Washington Warriors sound a lot better?

Savage Sunday
05-12-2011, 03:53 PM
It was either Wizards or Sea Dogs. I think they made the right decision. At the time of the name change Washington was the murder capital of the US. That was the reason for the change. They will be the Bullets again. If you look at the new uniforms the only time you see the name "Wizards" is across the chest of the home jersey. That can easily be replaced.

They're not going back to the Bullets.

You dont change a teams name then go back to it 15 years later.

Savage Sunday
05-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Rod Strickland, Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, Harvey Grant

Hey the KKK calls their leaders "Wizards" is that any worse then Bullets?

The Sun gives people skin cancer, should we call them the Suns?:confused:

Time2Dieeee
05-12-2011, 03:58 PM
the Washington Debts

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Washington Weirdo's gets my vote!

wouldn't you like to be a Weirdo? who wouldn't.

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 04:09 PM
what is a 76er ? must be somthing signifigant that happened in phillie in 1976 maybe ?

what is a knickerbocker ? a shoe or somthing ?

the lakers made sence when the team was in miniapolis because of the lakes, but why the hek is L.A the lakers ?

why is the toronto team named after a dinosaur in a movie ? must be because of all the raptors we have in the city :confused:

wizards arent the worst, id rather be a wizard then a thunder .. in terms of team name.

whats a clipper ? a toe nail clipper ?? i rememebr a poster with that name. i always thought it was funny.

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 04:11 PM
knickerbockers are pants! everyone knows that

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 04:13 PM
dude, if you guys want horrible team names, look no further than baseball. all their names friggin blow...

the mets?

the athletics?

the white/red sox?

that really instills fear in the competition, a team named after a pair of sox.

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 04:14 PM
knickerbockers are pants! everyone knows that

i always thought it was the old school chucks they use to wear in the nba back in the days.

honestly i didnt know they were pants. how come the new york team are named after pants :confused:

hmmm maybe they will name the brooklyn team trowsers. lol

irobson
the name would have all ready been changed if it wasn't a logistical nightmare...he said changing all the ip's and web addresses would take time and alot of money so i don't know if it will happen

CeeDub15
^haha, gotta agree with that. IDK how they came up with them...

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 04:16 PM
i always thought it was the old school chucks they use to wear in the nba back in the days.

honestly i didnt know they were pants. how come the new york team are named after pants :confused:

hmmm maybe they will name the brooklyn team trowsers. lol

I don't know why they would name their sports team after a pair of pants, I just know knickerbockers are old-timey pants that colonial people used to wear. Its like the Ben Franklin pants where the pant leg doesnt go down to cover the ankle, with the knee-high socks

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 04:17 PM
dude, if you guys want horrible team names, look no further than baseball. all their names friggin blow...

the mets?

the athletics?

the white/red sox?

that really instills fear in the competition, a team named after a pair of sox.

and on top of it when another team has white sox, why would you name your team red sox. lol or vice versa. thats real original :eyebrow:

LAKERMANIA
05-12-2011, 04:18 PM
There are lakes in Los Angeles if anyone was wondering..

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't know why they would name their sports team after a pair of pants, I just know knickerbockers are old-timey pants that colonial people used to wear. Its like the Ben Franklin pants where the pant leg doesnt go down to cover the ankle, with the knee-high socks

im picturing a 1970's baseball player right now. i dont know why lol

you know why philli is the 76ers ?

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 04:19 PM
and on top of it when another team has white sox, why would you name your team red sox. lol or vice versa. thats real original :eyebrow:

yeah that really pisses me off too as a Chicago sports fan. Boston stole our idea!

who even wears red sox. The only time I've even seen a red sock is when someone tosses a red piece of clothing in with all your white laundry and everything turns red because of it, and you just gotta toss all the clothes away after that

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 04:21 PM
There are lakes in Los Angeles if anyone was wondering..

sure .. but not like minneapolis. there are lakes in alot of cities. its like naming your team the birds.

The team was originally known as the Minnesota Lakers, and kept the name when they moved to La-La Land in 1960.

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 04:23 PM
yeah that really pisses me off too as a Chicago sports fan. Boston stole our idea!

who even wears red sox. The only time I've even seen a red sock is when someone tosses a red piece of clothing in with all your white laundry and everything turns red because of it, and you just gotta toss all the clothes away after that

even then it goes pink lol ...

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 04:33 PM
im picturing a 1970's baseball player right now. i dont know why lol

you know why philli is the 76ers ?

76ers is easy, I don't even have to look that one up.

Philadelphia is the city where the continental congress convened and 1776 is the date they signed the declaration of independence.

jezzyman05
05-12-2011, 04:34 PM
what is a 76er ? must be somthing signifigant that happened in phillie in 1976 maybe ?

what is a knickerbocker ? a shoe or somthing ?

the lakers made sence when the team was in miniapolis because of the lakes, but why the hek is L.A the lakers ?

why is the toronto team named after a dinosaur in a movie ? must be because of all the raptors we have in the city :confused:

wizards arent the worst, id rather be a wizard then a thunder .. in terms of team name.

whats a clipper ? a toe nail clipper ?? i rememebr a poster with that name. i always thought it was funny.

the 76ers is a rememberence of when and where the Declaration of Indenpendence was signed Philadelphia, 1776 (come on man read your history)

The Clippers are named the Clippers because they were located in San Diego, and Clippers to represent the boating and sailing that can be done off the coast of San Diego in the Pacific Ocean.

The Raptor was a fan vote and they wanted the Raptors

Any other questions you wanted to ask

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 04:35 PM
He's from toronto lol, I don't think he cares about our history

sep11ie
05-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Gandolph the Grey and Harry Potter like them just the way they are.

NYKnicksAllDay
05-12-2011, 04:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/knicks/history/why_knickerbockers.html

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 05:49 PM
the 76ers is a rememberence of when and where the Declaration of Indenpendence was signed Philadelphia, 1776 (come on man read your history)
The Clippers are named the Clippers because they were located in San Diego, and Clippers to represent the boating and sailing that can be done off the coast of San Diego in the Pacific Ocean.

The Raptor was a fan vote and they wanted the Raptors

Any other questions you wanted to ask

Read MY history ? im not from the states bro. i just wanted to know . thanks for the info.

Im from toronto so i know that the raptor name was voted in. i just cant imagine why. i think its the stupidest name ever.

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 05:52 PM
He's from toronto lol, I don't think he cares about our history

its all good man. some ppl like to asume and thats fine.

hey are you a wu tang fan ? is that why your rzzzza ? or is that just your name ? just wondering. i was a big wu fan.

RZZZA
05-12-2011, 05:54 PM
yep I named myself after the RZA ;) I miss 90's rap

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 05:54 PM
76ers is easy, I don't even have to look that one up.

Philadelphia is the city where the continental congress convened and 1776 is the date they signed the declaration of independence.

hey at least it makes good sence. some of these other team names are weak sauce. lol

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 05:55 PM
yep I named myself after the RZA ;) I miss 90's rap

sick!!! i love that era man. i dont listen to music made after 96. . . correction i dont listen to hip hop made after 96

thats why im smif n wessun. ogc, heltah skelta, black moon.

KingPosey
05-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Answer here:

I know they got rid of the name "Bullets", that is common knowledge. Why did they choose the "Wizards"?

Iodine
05-12-2011, 06:45 PM
RZA is gonna be on Kendrick Lamar's new project. **** will be 2dope

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 06:59 PM
RZA is gonna be on Kendrick Lamar's new project. **** will be 2dope

Rapping or producing ?

Iodine
05-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Rapping or producing ?

http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/05/06/kendrick-lamar-ronald-reagan-era-f-rza-preview/

todu82
05-12-2011, 07:49 PM
How about the Washington Americans? That would be a nice name and would help promote the city as the American capital.

smith&wesson
05-12-2011, 08:02 PM
http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/05/06/kendrick-lamar-ronald-reagan-era-f-rza-preview/

Respek. ill check that when i get home.

DJakk
05-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Washington Walls?

uncleben989
05-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Washington Obamas
Washington Monuments

papipapsmanny
05-13-2011, 01:30 AM
im a wiz fan, they changed the name when I was little, I still have a bullets webber jersey

they need a name change, I want the bullets, but it will never happen. Even though that name does nothing to help prevent/encourage crime

Washington Warheads?

Washington Rebels?

Washington Senators? (ala old baseball team)

tough to get something that relates

I am Smart
05-13-2011, 03:25 AM
I think they should stick with the Wizards, because Bullets is way too close to the Bulls. and their uni's are going back to red.