PDA

View Full Version : Can we retire the phrase "Big Three" yet?

THE_G.O.A.T.
05-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Every fan of a good team (and Knicks fans) have been using the phrase "the Big Three" way too often. Its becoming cliche and annoying for any casual basketball fan to hear. We all know it takes more than three people on a team to win basketball games, so why has it become so popular for fans of teams to want a "big three" on their team?

I think its time for educated basketball fans to come together and retire the phrase "big three" and never ever, ever, ever use it again.

mikealike305
05-11-2011, 11:05 AM
no

Greet
05-11-2011, 11:08 AM
No team has a big three IMO.

Melo, Amar'e, Who?

Celtics are a joke, Rondo is the best player on that team.

Bosh is a debatable top 5 PF...that's not big three material.

Robbw241
05-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Agreed, J Kidd, RJ, and VC are the true big 3 as the originals. Screw everyone else.

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2011, 11:14 AM
i hate it too.

Hangtime
05-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Boston's Big Three term is used because the team has consisted of three future hall of fame players who had outstanding individual careers before joining and having a major impact towards Boston's success.

Miami's Big Three is used first of all because LBJ and Wade are two of the biggest superstar players currently in the league. Bosh is debatable but he was the francise player on his previous team and he makes equal salary. So he automatically gets respect along side as the third man.

There is no other team I can think of that gets referred to as Big Three in the league so what's the problem?

marlinsfan24
05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Boston's Big Three term is used because the team has consisted of three future hall of fame players who had outstanding individual careers before joining and having a major impact towards Boston's success.

Miami's Big Three is used first of all because LBJ and Wade are two of the biggest superstar players currently in the league. Bosh is debatable but he was the francise player on his previous team and he makes equal salary. So he automatically gets respect along side as the third man.

There is no other team I can think of that gets referred to as Big Three in the league so what's the problem?

:clap:

Klivlend
05-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Every fan of a good team (and Knicks fans) have been using the phrase "the Big Three" way too often. Its becoming cliche and annoying for any casual basketball fan to hear. We all know it takes more than three people on a team to win basketball games, so why has it become so popular for fans of teams to want a "big three" on their team?

I think its time for educated basketball fans to come together and retire the phrase "big three" and never ever, ever, ever use it again.

:sigh: ...damnit

wizardsfan3
05-11-2011, 11:29 AM
:clap:

can you please explain to me how your a heat and spurs fan? :confused:

mikealike305
05-11-2011, 11:30 AM

this

D-Block21-Chito
05-11-2011, 11:31 AM
The Big Three best in the league!!!

Rose
Bogans
Gibson

Boom!

Lmao who gives a chit

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Agreed, J Kidd, RJ, and Kmart are the true big 3 as the originals. Screw everyone else.

Fixed. Boy were they fun to watch.

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
like if it was something New.....
Lets check whatever season 85/86 For example

Bird/Mchale/Parish
Barkley/Dr J / Moses malone
Buck Williams/Ray Williams/Birdsong
Hakeem/Sampson/Lucas
English/Lever/Natt
Aguirre/Blackman/Harper
Malone/stockton/Dantley
Maigc/Worhty/Kareem
Drexler/Porter/Vandewhege
Thomas/Dumars/Lambieer
Wilkins/Willis/RIvers
Moncrief/CUmmings/Pierce
Chambers/Mcdaniels/Sikma
Alvan Adams/nance/W Davis

Some of the names may not be known to youngsters but they WERE stars back in the day.
Some of the third options woudl be Second options nowdays sicne there are more teams.
Some of the second optiosn would be First options for he same reason.
To teh point.

Big three idea wasnt born yesterday

D-Block21-Chito
05-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Hey Mikealike,

How about a sig bet Heat vs Bulls in ECF?

koreancabbage
05-11-2011, 11:33 AM
No team has a big three IMO.

Melo, Amar'e, Who?

Celtics are a joke, Rondo is the best player on that team.

Bosh is a debatable top 5 PF...that's not big three material.

he's debateable NOW cuz he's playing behind two of the top players in the league. and avging 18-9 is pretty good for a third option on a team with two superstars. When he was in Toronto, one of the top PFs in the league - def top 5. 24-11? are you kidding me? only like 2-3 players avg'd that. and Amare wasn't one of them.

VC RJ and Kidd. RJ was not a superstar , Kidd was not a superstar, only VC in his first couple of years.

Boston's big 3 are at the end of their careers.

I like OKC's future big 3 in the making in Westbrook and Durant. who will join them? Harden? free agent will solve that problem and take them over the top.

Lakers have Kobe, Bynum and Gasol (used to, until he disappeared in these playoffs)

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2011, 11:36 AM

i've heard the Knicks, Spurs, Bulls, Heat and Boston been referred to as Big Three...

mikealike305
05-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey Mikealike,

How about a sig bet Heat vs Bulls in ECF?

dont do sig bets. dont really see the point of them.....

but sure. Heat in 6

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 11:42 AM
big three is about having three allstars in the team.

Big Zo
Big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kdspurman
it does get used a lot though... for example

the grizzlies they now refer to randolph, gasol, and conley as the big 3.

the spurs they still refer to duncan, parker, ginobili as the big 3 and even as a spurs fan i think that can stop being used at this point. (but i think it's more of a respect thing than anything else, cause in their prime there may not have been a better big 3 at the time)

boston they've been saying big 4 at times, the heat of course, hell i get the local channels here in ny and i think they referred to as deron williams, lopez, and humphries as a big 3 during a game. i personally don't care, it's good for those teams who have been bad lately and shows they have some talent now. but for the veteran teams i could probably do without. thats just my opinion

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2011, 11:43 AM
it does get used a lot though... for example

the grizzlies they now refer to randolph, gasol, and conley as the big 3.

the spurs they still refer to duncan, parker, ginobili as the big 3 and even as a spurs fan i think that can stop being used at this point. (but i think it's more of a respect thing than anything else, cause in their prime there may not have been a better big 3 at the time)

boston they've been saying big 4 at times, the heat of course, hell i get the local channels here in ny and i think they referred to as deron williams, lopez, and humphries as a big 3 during a game. i personally don't care, it's good for those teams who have been bad lately and shows they have some talent now. but for the veteran teams i could probably do without. thats just my opinion

Never heard that before. And Conley, part of a big three? Come on...

Hitman21
05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Agreed, J Kidd, RJ, and VC are the true big 3 as the originals. Screw everyone else.

Did u really include richard jefferson in a big 3 discussion?

godolphins
05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
True Big 3: Lebron, Wade and Bosh

davids22
05-11-2011, 12:00 PM
The Bucks big 3... Jennings, Bogut, and Delfino lol

kdspurman
05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Never heard that before. And Conley, part of a big three? Come on...

Believe me i watched every spurs/grizz game.

NYKSpiritBomb
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Bird/Mchale/Parish
Hakeem/Sampson/Lucas
English/Lever/Natt
Aguirre/Blackman/Harper
Malone/stockton/Dantley
Maigc/Worhty/Kareem
Thomas/Dumars/Lambieer
Wilkins/Willis/RIvers
Moncrief/CUmmings/Pierce
Chambers/Mcdaniels/Sikma

Some of the names may not be known to youngsters but they WERE stars back in the day.
Some of the third options woudl be Second options nowdays sicne there are more teams.
To teh point.

exactly, the idea wasn't but that big 3 name is getting so cliche and straight up annoying. there were always dynasty type teams in the NBA with multiple superstars on their rosters, the big 3 term is as washed as Charlie Sheen's press coverage.

RaiderLakersA's
05-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Right, but before there was a Boston Big Three, there was a San Antonio Big Three in Duncan, Ginoboli and Parker. The catchphrase will eventually fall out of use and come back again. Like everything else in this cyclical world.

Edit: And come to think of it, weren't Jordan's Bulls also cast in the Big Three mold at one point, with the whole "Superman (MJ), Batman (Pippen), and Rodman" thing? Yes, I know the Bulls had other players like Toni Kukoc, Horace Grant, etc., etc., that were major contributers, but the media pretty much focused on those three after Rodman joined up.

John Walls Era
05-11-2011, 12:09 PM
whatever... its just a name.

ne3xchamps
05-11-2011, 12:14 PM

this. people have their panties in a bunch over that phrase. It's not like half the league has a real big 3.

ink
05-11-2011, 12:15 PM

Bird/Mchale/Parish
Hakeem/Sampson/Lucas
English/Lever/Natt
Aguirre/Blackman/Harper
Malone/stockton/Dantley
Maigc/Worhty/Kareem
Thomas/Dumars/Lambieer
Wilkins/Willis/RIvers
Moncrief/CUmmings/Pierce
Chambers/Mcdaniels/Sikma

To teh point.

This. Why do we get so fixated on non-issues anyway? Who cares about nicknames?

ink
05-11-2011, 12:17 PM
whatever... its just a name.

And this.

RaiderLakersA's
05-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Magic/Worthy/Kareem

Still my favorite triumvirate of all time.

ink
05-11-2011, 12:19 PM
still my favorite triumvirate of all time.

+1

ne3xchamps
Big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three big three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: nice!

mttwlsn16
cant wait for the big 3 of eric gordon, andre iguadola, blake griffin :D

FadeAwayLikeMJ
05-11-2011, 12:22 PM
can you please explain to me how your a heat and spurs fan? :confused:

i can help i think. in football i root for the Giants (NFC) and Raiders (AFC)

and i dont have 2 cents on this topic

gaughan333
05-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Then you do not watch much basketball or espn. The term big 3 is used way too frequently to describe a multitude of teams now.

RaiderLakersA's
05-11-2011, 12:31 PM
cant wait for the big 3 of eric gordon, andre iguadola, blake griffin :D

Iguadola is coming to LA, but not to the Clippers. :D

Hangtime
05-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Right, but before there was a Boston Big Three, there was a San Antonio Big Three in Duncan, Ginoboli and Parker. The catchphrase will eventually fall out of use and come back again. Like everything else in this cyclical world.

Edit: And come to think of it, weren't Jordan's Bulls also cast in the Big Three mold at one point, with the whole "Superman (MJ), Batman (Pippen), and Rodman" thing? Yes, I know the Bulls had other players like Toni Kukoc, Horace Grant, etc., etc., that were major contributers, but the media pretty much focused on those three after Rodman joined up.

Well, I Agree. There have been many teams in the past with 3 superstar/hall of fame caliber players long before Boston that had a major impact on the team. And it wasn't the first time they coined the term "Big Three" as that has long been in use. But he was referring to the current league today. I think Boston and Miami gets that fanfare because you had those two teams actually have those 3 players join together from previous teams that had unique careers playing individually when they came together.

SA was home grown and was built through drafts with their Big Three roster so I don't think they get the same kind of respect like Boston and Miami. And Chicago? I respect Boozer and Noah but really? Are they really considered " Big Three" for other than being the three recognizable players on that team.

NY Knicks are already clammoring for CP3 so Chauncey doesn't even get respect with Knick fans.

Hangtime
05-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Then you do not watch much basketball or espn. The term big 3 is used way too frequently to describe a multitude of teams now.

Look, I've heard it thrown around with other teams but I don't feel the same way about any of those teams outside of Boston and Miami's 3. You can look at a multitude of team's in the NBA and take the three best players on that team, but do you personally see them in the same context? Do they really have the same impact as Miami and Boston's 3 has had all year? I don't hear them refer to any of those teams as getting the same fanfare that Boston got and Miami gets now. Not a single one.

mlisica19
05-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Of course its become cliche. Its a stupid thing to say. But you cant retire what is still there. The big three in miami just put up 81 to beat boston in game 4. That wasnt their final score!

Miltstar
05-11-2011, 12:57 PM
How about Toronto's Big 3, Calderon, Derozan and Bargnani!! BOO-YA!!

lol

Iodine
05-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Malone/stockton/Dantley
Wilkins/Willis/RIvers

To teh point.

Stockton only started 38 games that year, and Malone wasnt even a 16ppg scorer

And Wilk having enough support to have a big 3 is laughable, Kevin Willis and Doc are decent role players, not stars

kingkenny01
05-11-2011, 01:04 PM
the big three was first used to refer to the 2001 milwaukee bucks: Ray Allen, Sam Cassell and Glenn Robinson
This may not be the best big three but it is the orginal

ink
05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
the big three was first used to refer to the 2001 milwaukee bucks: Ray Allen, Sam Cassell and Glenn Robinson

That would be news to the 80's Celtics. Larry Bird, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale were the Big 3 long before MIL borrowed the term.

sixer04fan
05-11-2011, 01:12 PM
The Sixers have 2 big 3's... Iggy/Brand/Thad, and Lou/Jrue/Turner. I mean come on people, how did we not win the championship?

And let's not forget the most fearsome big 3 on the team... Meeks, Hawes, and Speights.

And this goes without saying... Nocioni, Battie, and Songalia.

Iodine
05-11-2011, 01:12 PM

...... Please go away

Super.
05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Celtics had the first big Three with

Bird, Parish, and McHale

and to this day, there hasnt been a better one.

Now off to watch Larry Bird videos and jizz everywhere

CeeDub15
05-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I agree, pretty sick of seeing it lol.

mikealike305
05-11-2011, 01:46 PM
All you have to say is heat and I bet the bulls. So if heat win I have to rock out your sig of the three f.a.g.s untill the end of the finals. If bulls win you have to rock out my rose sig jumpin around like a hot potato :)

haha alright man, deal. sig bet on!

John Walls Era
05-11-2011, 01:50 PM

And everyone just vomited in their mouths...

mttwlsn16
05-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Iguadola is coming to LA, but not to the Clippers. :D

find me one story showing him going to LAL ;)
whereas there have been stories and its actually been discussed him going to LAC :p

Jay16
05-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Let me guess this thread was started by the rest of the NBA (not Miami)....... yeah..... jealousy is a biaaaaaa..............

ohreally
05-11-2011, 02:02 PM
dont do sig bets. dont really see the point of them.....

but sure. Heat in 6

Did I miss something? Did the Heat and Celtics play this morning? Did Atlanta forfeit?

What's the old saying about eggs and chickens?

Robbw241
05-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Did u really include richard jefferson in a big 3 discussion?

Did you really just start watching basketball? VC, RJ, and Kidd were called " The Big 3" back in the mid 2000's, no one said they were the best.

macc
05-11-2011, 02:18 PM
While we are retiring words/phrases, can we also add "epic" as well. That's the most overused annoying phrase there is lately.

mikealike305
05-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Did I miss something? Did the Heat and Celtics play this morning? Did Atlanta forfeit?

What's the old saying about eggs and chickens?

You mean why did the chicken cross the road? no, that has nothing to do with eggs....
wait! u mean what came 1st the chicken or the egg!

but i really dont see what that has to do with what we are talking about

:)

jrm2054
05-11-2011, 02:34 PM
it's a stupid phrase

johnwayne
05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
the big 3 = Garnett, Allen, Pierce

the best 3 (currently) = James, Wade, Bosh

the best 3 (EVER) = Jordan, Pippen, Rodman

ChicagoRox
05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
While we are retiring words/phrases, can we also add "epic" as well. That's the most overused annoying phrase there is lately.

Ohhh ohhh!!! Can we please add "It is, what it is?" to the ban list.

jezzyman05
05-11-2011, 02:42 PM

And where did you hear this from......a Bucks fans....:facepalm:

You apparently didnt watch basketball until 2000 cause these trios have been around for a minute

Bird/McHale/Parrish
Jordan/Pippen/Rodman
Magic/Worthy/Kareem

Its debatable for this one with Duncan/Robinson being the twin towers Coby Deitrek and greg simmons would term thesed guys the big 3 as well...

Duncan/Robinson/Elliott

Im sure there are older trios but I remember the term "big 3" being used on them

DMasta718
05-11-2011, 03:02 PM
The term "Big three" was used for years. Long before KG/Allen/Pierce formed. I remember seeing a picture floating around (I think it's a magazine spread) that showed Parish/Mchale/Bird holding the championship trophies and was called The Big three at the top of the picture.

Kashmir13579
05-11-2011, 03:51 PM
i agree but the OP should be edited because it was clear his intentions were to bait Knick fans.

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 03:54 PM
the ORIGINAL Big three

were the Minnie Lakers In the 40s/50s

Mikan/Mikkelsen/ Pollard and you could even trhow in the Indianapolis olympian big cheat Three, Beard/Groza/JOnes