PDA

View Full Version : New found respect for Dallas

oogaboogaman
05-11-2011, 03:07 AM
First off I want to say I am from Portland and a Blazer fan.

I was one of the many people who thought Dallas would be an easier out in the first round, but they have rather played great team basketball. Especially watching J.J. take 2 flagrant fouls, one from Artest and one from Bynum. Guys much bigger and stronger. Then again I was stoked to see Lakers get downright embarrassed.

I also play pick up games at the parks in Portland and noticed people trying to do their own 'Dirk' shot, curious if this is a common action.

Among all the remaining playoff teams Dallas deserves to win.

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 03:10 AM

I was one of the many people who thought Dallas would be an easier out in the first round, but they have rather played great team basketball. Especially watching J.J. take 2 flagrant fouls, one from Artest and one from Bynum. Guys much bigger and stronger. Then again I was stoked to see Lakers get downright embarrassed.

I also play pick up games at the parks in Portland and noticed people trying to do their own 'Dirk' shot, curious if this is a common action.

Oh yeah?

NO ONE DESERVES JACK you have to WORK for it and EARN it.

Lakers and spurs didnt work enough and want it enough and thats why they ddint earn it.

Simple as that.

Go Bulls!

iggypop123
05-11-2011, 03:19 AM
why do athletes deserve things? i mean they get paid to do a hobby of ours.

stawka
05-11-2011, 03:22 AM
Calm down Crooner. Damn, you mad

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Calm down Crooner. Damn, you mad

I am.

Even if there isnt a lock out ( please come to an agreement soon) im going to be hearing crap until NOVEMBER before things come to normal and Lakers are kiking some butt out there.

Also the remaining teams are a NIGHTMARE for me.

Hear Stupid Crap Bout Zach.
Hear stupid crap bout Dirk.
Hear stupid crap about a team that should be in Washington and dressed in green.
Hear stupid crap about south beach.
Hear stupid crap bout We have 18 rings and you 16

Since hawks are basically done and have 0 shot at it

I CANT ****ING BELIEVE THAT exactly 20 years after oathing eternal hate to Chicago im rooring for them to WIN

Should i be mad?

Supreme LA
05-11-2011, 03:31 AM

Dude, you're a few days late with your so called "new found respect" for Dallas. I share the same sentiments about them as well. They're a very good team and they play are playing really well together. I won't say they are great until they win the title.

Jewelz0376
05-11-2011, 03:31 AM
I am.

Even if there isnt a lock out ( please come to an agreement soon) im going to be hearing crap until NOVEMBER before things come to normal and Lakers are kiking some butt out there.

Hear stupid crap about a team that should be in Washington and dressed in green.

I CANT ****ING BELIEVE THAT exactly 20 years after oathing eternal hate to Chicago im rooring for them to WIN

Should i be mad?

:laugh:

Avenged
05-11-2011, 03:36 AM
The Mavericks nor any team deserve nothing yet. How do the Mavs deserve to win more than any other playoff team? Is it because everyone underrated them? Mavs fans knew what they had since the beginning.

Whoever wins in end will be the most deserving. Whether it be Dallas, Miami or even Oklahoma City.

Sly Guy
05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
yep, dallas looks like the favorite to me right now as well. Very well rounded, hungry vets, team oriented play, size and depth. Very dangerous indeed.

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2011, 08:39 AM
I would prefer the Grizzlies or Bulls to win it all. Wouldnt be mad at the Mavs or Thunder though, if they can.

John Walls Era
05-11-2011, 08:52 AM
They don't deserve anything. I hope they get killed by the Heat in the finals.

SteBO
05-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Dallas has impressed, no doubt. But how does that mean they deserve a title. There is a reason they were picked out as an easier opponent for the Blazers and Lakers, obviously due to past history. They're very good, but until they win a title, or even get to the Finals, which a strong possibility that they won't to go along with all the teams remaining, I can't consider them a great team, let alone feeling they deserve anything.

justinnum1
05-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Dallas wont be doing that against miami/bulls/Celtics defense

MacFitz92
05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Dallas wont be doing that against miami/bulls/Celtics defense

Lol, yet they did it against the L.A. and Portland defense :rolleyes:

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Are you saying the Lakers and Blazers defense is as good/better than Miami, Boston or Chicago?

justinnum1
05-11-2011, 09:35 AM

Which is no where near the level of defense that miami/bulls/celtics are. The heat are the best defensive team in the post season(pts per poss.)

With lebron and wade on the wings, terry and peja wont be wide open. Dirk will get his, but miami has been locking teams down. Chicago has shown some serious flaws in their d in this post season, but they are still top 5.

SteBO
05-11-2011, 09:38 AM

L.A.'s defense, as well as Portland's, isn't anywhere near as good as Miami's, Chicago's, or Boston's D. Both L.A. and POR has length up front, but hey don't deter the guards away from the basket. DAL got inside at will, which you shouldn't count on happening against BOS, MIA, or CHI.

BlondeBomber41
05-11-2011, 10:05 AM
I am.

Should i be mad?

Oh shut the hell up Crooner, you are the ABSOLUTE worst on this entire site at running your mouth about one topic over and over and over and over again. PAU GASOL. We get it, you like the guy. You try to act like he is the best big man in the NBA, then when he plays like crap you make threads implying he is secretly playing with an injury and that's the reason why.

I will say it as simply as I possibly can. DIRK NOWITZKI IS A MUCH MUCH BETTER PLAYER THAN PAU GASOL. Gasol is a good player, in the top 5 PF's in the league but he certainly isn't what you make him out to be.

Also, since you want to bring up Germany vs Spain and how Germany is only 4-18 against Spain... here is a little truth for ya.

Dirk Nowitzki vs Pau Gasol in the NBA playoffs = 8-0 Dirk.

ddhulett
05-11-2011, 10:08 AM
L.A.'s defense, as well as Portland's, isn't anywhere near as good as Miami's, Chicago's, or Boston's D. Both L.A. and POR has length up front, but hey don't deter the guards away from the basket. DAL got inside at will, which you shouldn't count on happening against BOS, MIA, or CHI.

If we go by regular season of all the teams listed above are top 10 Defense

The only 2 that really separate them self is Boston and Chicago #1 and 2 in defense for the year.

Miami is good at defense but they are about the same as Portland and L.A.

If we went by Playoffs numbers Dallas is #1 in defense.

I'm a Dallas fan I don't agree with that we should deserve respect or anything like that we have to earn it just like every other team. If anything you might be able to shed the Soft label which I never understood anyway.

justinnum1
05-11-2011, 10:12 AM

The only 2 that really separate them self is Boston and Chicago #1 and 2 in defense for the year.

I'm a Dallas fan I don't agree with that we should deserve respect or anything like that we have to earn it just like every other team. If anything you might be able to shed the Soft label which I never understood anyway.

Miami has a better defnese than both boston and chicago in the playoffs, but keep telling your self what you want to hear. :rolleyes:

gsgs49
05-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Which is no where near the level of defense that miami/bulls/celtics are. The heat are the best defensive team in the post season(pts per poss.)

With lebron and wade on the wings, terry and peja wont be wide open. Dirk will get his, but miami has been locking teams down. Chicago has shown some serious flaws in their d in this post season, but they are still top 5.

Saying that LA's defense is no where near the level of miami,chicago and boston is simply wrong.
The lakers are also a top tier team defensively they rank 6th in points allowed in 100 possessions.
Heat:
Pts per 100 poss: 100.8
Pts allowed: 94.6
FG% allowed: 43.4%

Lakers:
Pts per 100 poss: 101.3
Pts allowed: 95.4
FG% allowed: 43.7%

I don't see a big difference.

The Heat are the best team defensively in the postseason but you also have to take in consideration that they didn't face a top team offensively.
The sixers are 17th in PPP and the celtics are 19th

BlondeBomber41
05-11-2011, 10:21 AM

The Mavericks are the best PPG defense in the playoffs. Plus lets not forget you played the freakin Sixers in the first round, not exactly an offensive juggernaut.

The Mavs just swept a team with Kobe Bryant and Ron Artest on the wings, so I am not concerned they can't get open shots against Miami. It would be funny watching Mike Bibby try to stay with JJ Barea or Jason Kidd though.

Greet
05-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I think they deserve to win.

There is no two-combination of players that deserve an NBA title more then Jason Kidd and Dirk.

Two sure HOFers.

justinnum1
05-11-2011, 10:25 AM
The Mavericks are the best PPG defense in the playoffs. Plus lets not forget you played the freakin Sixers in the first round, not exactly an offensive juggernaut.

The Mavs just swept a team with Kobe Bryant and Ron Artest on the wings, so I am not concerned they can't get open shots against Miami. It would be funny watching Mike Bibby try to stay with JJ Barea or Jason Kidd though.

It will be funnier watching peja and terry guard lebron and wade lmfao

Greet
05-11-2011, 10:27 AM
It will be funnier watching peja and terry guard lebron and wade lmfao

I'd assume Kidd will guard Wade when he's on the court, and Marion will deal with Lebron. Which isn't too bad.

I'll take my chances with Kidd-Wade and Marion-Lebron over Bosh attempting to cover Dirk.

SteBO
05-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Portland isn't an offensive juggernaut either, so I don't see your point there. :eyebrow:

Congrats on sweeping the Lakers, for that's a very impressive feat, but don't count on that carrying over. You guys have a nice team without a doubt, but Miami's defense has been suffocating, and you have to acknowledge that.

Also, please do not insert Jason Kidd as some kind of offensive threat that Mike Bibby has fret over. He's slower than Bibby is, though a better shooter.

SteBO
05-11-2011, 10:34 AM

If we went by Playoffs numbers Dallas is #1 in defense.

I'm not going by regular season. That's irrelevant. This postseason MIA's defense has been far and away better than the Lakers, and I don't need stats to see that. I use my eyes.

Greet
05-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm not going by regular season. That's irrelevant. This postseason MIA's defense has been far and away better than the Lakers, and I don't need stats to see that. I use my eyes.

How can you see that? You guys played the offensively inept Sixers and then the Celtics without a presence down low.....

Dallas went up against Portland, who have three players all offensively better then anyone on the Sixers. Lakers obviously have a good offense.

SteBO
05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
How can you see that? You guys played the offensively inept Sixers and then the Celtics without a presence down low.....

Dallas went up against Portland, who have three players all offensively better then anyone on the Sixers. Lakers obviously have a good offense.

It's obvious watching the games. The Sixers suck on offense, yes, I'm not discounting that. Lakers have(had really) a good offense, but not in this postseason. Give some credit to the Mavs' defense, it was very good.

POR is not a good offensive team, so please don't go there.

SteBO
05-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Seriously, you guys make it sound like I'm not giving the Mavs any credit here. I am. They're the only team in the west that cares me to death. I'm just saying that don't expect what happened in the Lakers series to carry over, and that goes both ways.

Patman
05-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Uhm sorry to break it to you but Miami isn't the best defensive team these playoffs.
Magic had a Deff: 96.6 but they are done, so the best Team is Chigago with 98.6.
Then comes Miami with 99.0 followed by 99.7 of the Celtics.

What should worry those teams is that Dallas is by far the best offensive Team in these playoffs. Also there defense isn't that far behind.

210Don
05-11-2011, 10:49 AM
lakers were a shell of themselves.......

SteBO
05-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Uhm sorry to break it to you but Miami isn't the best defensive team these playoffs.
Magic had a Deff: 96.6 but they are done, so the best Team is Chigago with 98.6.
Then comes Miami with 99.0 followed by 99.7 of the Celtics.

What should worry those teams is that Dallas is by far the best offensive Team in these playoffs. Also there defense isn't that far behind.

Read my post again dude. Not once did I say the Heat had the best defense in the playoffs. I said it was better than the Lakers' D, sorry to break it to you :eyebrow: :)

gsgs49
05-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Seriously, you guys make it sound like I'm not giving the Mavs any credit here. I am. They're the only team in the west that cares me to death. I'm just saying that don't expect what happened in the Lakers series to carry over, and that goes both ways.

Same here,I give Miami a lot of credit for the great defense but I don't expect it to be that good in a series against the mavs and the biggest matchup nightmare in the nba named Dirk Nowitzki.

SteBO
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Same here,I give Miami a lot of credit for the great defense but I don't expect it to be that good in a series against the mavs and the biggest matchup nightmare in the nba named Dirk Nowitzki.

Both teams would have a lot of problems against each other, and the defense won't look as good against one another as opposed to the Sixers', Blazers' of the world. Actually, Dallas has guys like Stevenson and Marion that are at least capable of staying in front of Wade and LeBron. I also feel like Nowitzki is going to tear Bosh up, but that's what Haslem's for :D

Hawkeye15
05-11-2011, 11:12 AM
I would love to see Dirk get a ring. But I just can't get past the feeling that the Mavs will self-implode eventually. I hope I am wrong, I really do. The series against the Lakers was strong. Their title hopes rely on Dirk shooting at an unreal clip for 2 more series. The Mavs have been a constant underachiever for years, so I don't necessarily have more respect for them now, but I have a bit more hope I guess.

I want a Mavs-Heat finals. Been saying it for a while.

SteBO
05-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I would love to see Dirk get a ring. But I just can't get past the feeling that the Mavs will self-implode eventually. I hope I am wrong, I really do. The series against the Lakers was strong. Their title hopes rely on Dirk shooting at an unreal clip for 2 more series. The Mavs have been a constant underachiever for years, so I don't necessarily have more respect for them now, but I have a bit more hope I guess.

Same here. The matchups are intriguing, though I do fear the bench matchup. If the Sixers' bench can rape ours, then imagine what the DAL bench can do. :facepalm: Still, it's the stars that carry teams to glory. Nowitzki is going to have to continue to play his best if DAL is oing to have a chance, but it's clear this is the best DAL team we've seen.

gsgs49
05-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Both teams would have a lot of problems against each other, and the defense won't look as good against one another as opposed to the Sixers', Blazers' of the world. Actually, Dallas has guys like Stevenson and Marion that are at least capable of staying in front of Wade and LeBron. I also feel like Nowitzki is going to tear Bosh up, but that's what Haslem's for :D

I agree it would be a great series.
BTW congrats for getting Haslem back and I hope that he'll be 100% for the series if it happens.You guys still have Boston and Chicago and we have OKC or Memphis.

gsgs49
05-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Same here. The matchups are intriguing, though I do fear the bench matchup. If the Sixers' bench can rape ours, then imagine what the DAL bench can do. :facepalm: Still, it's the stars that carry teams to glory. Nowitzki is going to have to continue to play his best if DAL is oing to have a chance, but it's clear this is the best DAL team we've seen.

Yeah we have two big advantages in the bench and the frontcourt.
We have arguably the best bench and you guys have one of the worst benches.
And the frontcourt of Dirk/Chandler/Haywood is much better than Bosh/any 2 heat centers.
But you still have two top 3 players.And Lebron,Wade and Bosh are all much much better than any player we have as 2nd option.

ddhulett
05-11-2011, 11:30 AM

SteBo I do agree with you though if Dallas was to face Miami or Chicago we will face a better defense.

I would have thought LA would have been a lot better, I do think they got frustrated with not being able to stop the MAVS and gave up at times.

My point was that LA and POR were top 10 defense and not that far off from the teams left in the EAST.

WadeCounty
05-11-2011, 11:36 AM
i've said it since the beginning of the season, the only team i'm scared of from out west is the mavericks

SteBO
05-11-2011, 11:36 AM
SteBo I do agree with you though if Dallas was to face Miami or Chicago we will face a better defense.

I would have thought LA would have been a lot better, I do think they got frustrated with not being able to stop the MAVS and gave up at times.

My point was that LA and POR were top 10 defense and not that far off from the teams left in the EAST.

Oh alright, agree with you there. I guess I wasn't quite sure during what stretch you were referring to. Listen, DAL defense has been the best I've ever seen from them in quite a while, and I know that which ever team that represents the east this year, should know what to expect from Dallas if they represent the west this year, which is looking more and more likely. LA and POR weren't bad defensively, but it got torn up when it mattered most by the Mavs offense, which isn't that surprising considering Dirk is one of the best in this league, along with a coach in Rick Carlisle, who's one of the best offensive minds in the game.

blahblahyoutoo
05-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi from ATOT!

ink
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Mavs-Heat rematch would be great. It would be amazing if Dirk could exoricize the memory of the previous series from his resume.

Mind you, I'd rather watch the Bulls in the final.

Frantico
05-11-2011, 12:30 PM
I am not a Mavs fan... but how could anyone not root for them if your team is not in the playoffs anymore?

What they did against the Lakers was pretty special - I don't care that there might have been something wrong with LA - they simply outplayed them - and they did it in very impressive fashion. 4 in a row against a two time defending champion is not an easy thing to do.

Secondly, there are guys on the team that have been in this league a Looong time - Rose, Durant, LBJ, the Hawks and Memphis - they are all young, and they all have a bright future ahead of them

But Dirk, Kidd, Terry, Marion, etc. have battled it out for years, and there's only so much left in the tank. I think it's time that they, and Mark Cuban, and the Dallas fans, get a ring.

But I like the attitude of the team, flying under the radar, not talking ****, and taking care of business. Dirk has got to be one of the coolest players in the game - I mean, the guy is amazing to watch.

I honestly think Dallas will win it all. I don't think either OKC or Memphis will even have a chance against them. And in the finals, I don't see the Bulls doing it (the most overrated team IMOP), maybe Miami, but... who will guard Dirk?

I honestly think people are STILL underrating this team. This team is the real deal. Position for position they are pretty deep. They got slashers, three point threats (that's an understatement), toughness inside, point guards that penetrate the paint and cause chaos for the defense... and they got Dirk... is there a player in the league that can guard him?

I say Dallas over Miami in six.

koLohe2133
05-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Wowwwwww post hot deleted by a heat fan big surprise.

I hope Dallas wins it all too. I think they deserve it as well. dirk and Kidd are hof bound and Carlisle is one helluva coach who never gets respect....

Let's just hope the refs don't send wade to the line 50+ times
Like 06

ragee
05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Oh shut the hell up Crooner, you are the ABSOLUTE worst on this entire site at running your mouth about one topic over and over and over and over again. PAU GASOL. We get it, you like the guy. You try to act like he is the best big man in the NBA, then when he plays like crap you make threads implying he is secretly playing with an injury and that's the reason why.

I will say it as simply as I possibly can. DIRK NOWITZKI IS A MUCH MUCH BETTER PLAYER THAN PAU GASOL. Gasol is a good player, in the top 5 PF's in the league but he certainly isn't what you make him out to be.

Also, since you want to bring up Germany vs Spain and how Germany is only 4-18 against Spain... here is a little truth for ya.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That'll shut him up... Nice one BB41!

Hawkeye15
05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Wowwwwww post hot deleted by a heat fan big surprise.

I hope Dallas wins it all too. I think they deserve it as well. dirk and Kidd are hof bound and Carlisle is one helluva coach who never gets respect....

Let's just hope the refs don't send wade to the line 50+ times
Like 06

The post was deleted because you said nothing of substance.

MFFL==FML
05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I'll say it again, I'm quite surprised to see humbled Heat fans. This is a new thing for me. I never thought I'd see this... much better fans than the Lakers by far... :clap:

Tanakid777
05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Are you saying the Lakers and Blazers defense is as good/better than Miami, Boston or Chicago?

I know regular season doesn't mean much, but Chicago is the only one of those 3 we didn't sweep this year

jezzyman05
05-11-2011, 02:22 PM

OMG YES!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE SHUTS HIM UP!!!!! :laugh:

ChicagoRox
05-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Why is there a thread for this anyways. New Found Respect my ***. Dallas for the past couple of years have always been a contendor. It's not like, "Wow Dallas is in the Western Conference Finals!" The west contendors have been LA, SA, DAL, and PHX(Well PHX has fallen off) for the past decade. If they don't choke in the finals then they will deserve more Respect. But pretty sure if you watched the NBA, you are not really surprised the the Mavs are in the WCF and have respected them as a contendor already.

Tanakid777
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Why is there a thread for this anyways. New Found Respect my ***. Dallas for the past couple of years have always been a contendor. It's not like, "Wow Dallas is in the Western Conference Finals!" The west contendors have been LA, SA, DAL, and PHX(Well PHX has fallen off) for the past decade. If they don't choke in the finals then they will deserve more Respect. But pretty sure if you watched the NBA, you are not really surprised the the Mavs are in the WCF and have respected them as a contendor already.

:clap:

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 03:58 PM
the one that laughs last laughs more and better and for longer.