PDA

View Full Version : High School Sophomore Offer $750 000 From Euro Team

JasonJohnHorn
05-10-2011, 07:24 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Tiny-sophomore-point-guard-lands-750-000-Italia?urn=highschool-wp1862&active_dimension=carousel_ept_sports_blog&ysp_frm_woah=1

Check out the above link for the article. The article references Jennings (though it claims he IMPROVED his draft status by going abroad, he actually lowered it and would have went higher in the draft had he been able to jump from highschool). This kid is well under 6 feets and likely if things went well for him in the NBA the best he could hope for is a career like Mugsy Bogues, Earl Boykins or Spudd Wedd. If that.

Europe is offering him enough money to get a really good start on life and offer potentially interesting life experience. With the CBA coming up, and other players like Jennings and Jeremy Tyler skipping college to go pro, what do you all think this could spell for young prospects who arent allowed to enter the NBA at 18, but ARE allowed to sign contracts overseas even younger!

thoughts?

Master Mind
05-10-2011, 07:26 PM
I'd take it. That's $750k more than I had in highschool :shrug:

Uncle Chuck
05-10-2011, 07:29 PM
sounds like a win-win. I would have dropped out of high school for $750,000

Jewelz0376
05-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd do it...Players in Europe start playing pro ball early all the time

29$JerZ
05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
The point of High school is to prepare you for college which then prepares you for work.
If he is going to get guaranteed money this early I can see why he'd take it.

Iodine
05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
The point of High school is to prepare you for college which then prepares you for work.
If he is going to get guaranteed money this early I can see why he'd take it.

This.

You never know how things will turn out and go for the sure thing

I mean did Tasmin Mitchell end up getting paid that much....... ever?

KnicksR4Real
05-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I'd take it anyday of the week.

Purple&Gold24
05-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I would go with them right there and then :D

king4day
05-10-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't like it.
It's hard enough making it if you ditch college and blow it in the NBA.
Imagine this kid fails? He'll have to deal with not having a high school diploma as well. I can't imagine his parents agreeing to this either.

Lake_Show2416
05-10-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd take it. That's $750k more than I had in highschool :shrug:

you should have gone to Shaq or Lebrons high school :laugh2:

John Walls Era
05-10-2011, 09:08 PM
It depends... is this guy good in school (getting high marks, smart individual, etc)? If hes not then it would be a smart decision to take the money (this is a one year deal correct?).

MrfadeawayJB
05-10-2011, 09:14 PM
He should def. do this. I mean look, the guy is 5'6, he will not be drafted into the NBA. He reminds me of Nate Robinson a little bit, but I dont see him getting drafted. He should take the offer, because his best case scenario if he doesn't is to play in college be a good college player, than play overseas. He will end up there either way. Just take the money, improve your game, and try in 2-3 years to join the NBA d-league or then enter the draft

arkanian215
05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't like it.
Imagine this kid fails? He'll have to deal with not having a high school diploma as well. I can't imagine his parents agreeing to this either.

You will be surprised how many parents would agree to that.

Hellcrooner
05-10-2011, 09:46 PM
hey dudes go figure.

the 100% of young people playing for sport teams in europe ATTENDS to High school at the same time.
Some teams like Barcelona even INCLUDE it in the contract that YOU have to go to school,.

So , get paid 750k AND graduate from Hs at the same time?

Of just graduate with 0 money?

Go figure.

Baller1
05-10-2011, 09:47 PM
I wish I was talented... :sigh:

chonbon
05-10-2011, 09:49 PM
last time i checked, he could sign with them, take classes and get his GED? he also would easily have enough money if he is fiscally intelligent to pay for college if his basketball dreams fizzle...

richardle9
05-11-2011, 12:53 AM
It depends... is this guy good in school (getting high marks, smart individual, etc)? If hes not then it would be a smart decision to take the money (this is a one year deal correct?).

i think he's a bonehead, article says he is nearing 18 years old and is a sophmore:speechless:

Iodine
05-11-2011, 01:09 AM
If I ever go to spain crooner will be my tour guide

NYKalltheway
05-11-2011, 06:16 AM
I don't like it.

who says he won't have a HS diploma?? :confused: :confused:

I've never heard of anyone turning pro over here and have no HS diploma. Most even get college degrees while training/playing with the pros too.

So basically if the kid fails (which I doubt as there's always gonna be a team in Europe that'd sign him), he has a HS diploma and $750,000 to play with.

P.S: Roma is a pretty bad team

assisi805
05-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Agreed

WickedBadMan
05-11-2011, 07:31 AM
It is never a smart idea not to take this offer, maybe if you are Lebron James HS good or something of that nature - but otherwise no.

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2011, 08:27 AM
last time i checked, he could sign with them, take classes and get his GED? he also would easily have enough money if he is fiscally intelligent to pay for college if his basketball dreams fizzle...

:eyebrow:...:p

ttam68
05-11-2011, 09:15 AM
I don't like it.

He can just go back to school. Even if he's three or four years behind, he'd have $750,000 and an amazing overseas experience to make up for those lost years.

tbone2171
05-11-2011, 09:38 AM
He should def. do this. I mean look, the guy is 5'6, he will not be drafted into the NBA. He reminds me of Nate Robinson a little bit, but I dont see him getting drafted. He should take the offer, because his best case scenario if he doesn't is to play in college be a good college player, than play overseas. He will end up there either way. Just take the money, improve your game, and try in 2-3 years to join the NBA d-league or then enter the draft

Kid's a sophomore in high school...he's still growing

mttwlsn16
05-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't like it.

for 3/4 of a million dollars you better bet your *** id tear my HS diploma in half and throw it in a fire

Double_R
05-11-2011, 09:48 AM
How has no one mentioned that he is 17 and 5'6'', I think there is not doubt that he should take the money.
edit: I see above, but lets be real.
Let's break it down:
He is almost 18 and is a sophomore in high school and some question whether he will be academically eligible??? Can I get a borderline ******!
He is almost 18 and is 5'6''? Can I get a midget!
He was offered 750K more than what he is making now.
Hmmm, I wonder what he will do???

Go find a 5'6'', 20 year old high school senior and he will tell you that he wishes that he took the money.

Epicfailure
05-11-2011, 10:11 AM
You have to take this, even though I'm sure he would face a lot of criticism for it. But this 750,000 we're talking about. The average American would probably have to work 10-15 years just to make that. It's a huge sum of money. And if things don't work out, it's not hard to go back to school or get your GED or something.

jneises21
05-11-2011, 10:45 AM
How has no one mentioned that he is 17 and 5'6'', I think there is not doubt that he should take the money.
edit: I see above, but lets be real.
Let's break it down:
He is almost 18 and is a sophomore in high school and some question whether he will be academically eligible??? Can I get a borderline ******!
He is almost 18 and is 5'6''? Can I get a midget!
He was offered 750K more than what he is making now.
Hmmm, I wonder what he will do???

Go find a 5'6'', 20 year old high school senior and he will tell you that he wishes that he took the money.

He got held back a year so that makes him a borderline ******? Wow

koreancabbage
05-11-2011, 11:19 AM
you can go to school later with that money. so it doesn't really matter now.

ttam68
05-11-2011, 11:23 AM

Yes.

blahblahyoutoo
05-11-2011, 11:58 AM

yup, he's not growing much more than this. at most another 4 inches, maybe getting to 6'.
oh, he's 17? scratch that. he's pretty much done growing.

blahblahyoutoo
05-11-2011, 12:01 PM

in the US public school system (esp. baltimore's school districts), a resounding yes.

NYKalltheway
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Wow... people actually think that Europeans don;t go to school :facepalm:

jneises21
05-11-2011, 12:07 PM
in the US public school system (esp. baltimore's school districts), a resounding yes.

Hm, i've known people who got held back between k-3, and they are far from ******** haha

WSU Tony
05-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Even if he fails in Europe, he can get a league minimum contract in the NBA a few years later. Oh, and league minimum is well above 6 figures. lol.

I think sometimes you guys lose site of how big the contracts are we're talking about. Sign a practice squad contract and make 6 figures. lol. Do you know how hard/long it takes to make 6 figures in the working world?

If he plans on living a modest pro-athlete life, and is willing to be smart with his money, I'd go with this contract.

He very well could end up 30 years old, out of pro basketball, with 1M in the bank. A conservative investment portfolio with 1M to start with will get you 60K per year in interest alone. Hell, work at McDonalds making 20K a year and your at 80K per year. Last time I checked, that's pretty damn good.

bulldog312
05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't see the big deal about his age. Did it say he was held back due to grades somewhere and I just missed it? If not, 19 is a pretty normal age to graduate. Lot's of parents start there children a year late in school as it gives them an advantage. If he was also this small and below the curve physically when he was entering school it would be another reason to hold him back.

Iodine
05-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I laugh cause it's true

Wow... people actually think that Europeans don;t go to school :facepalm:

Woah dude, when I first joined here, it was hard to convince them yall had running water

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I laugh cause it's true

Woah dude, when I first joined here, it was hard to convince them yall had running water

Next step, make them understand we Shower everyday.....well at least in spain/Italy

NYKalltheway
05-11-2011, 12:30 PM
add Greece to that :p

KingPosey
05-11-2011, 12:49 PM
adam jennings made the all star team and started? I must have missed that.

Yahoo sports reporting is such a joke.

I really like Carr's body control in the air, its pretty impressive.

zB_#85
05-11-2011, 02:45 PM

considering he's the school's best player and still got held back- yes. we all know schools do some shady stuff to keep their best player eligible. that indicates he was too dumb even for the teachers to hide lol.

JasonJohnHorn
05-11-2011, 04:42 PM

I wish there was a "like" button here like on Facebook.

WickedBadMan
05-11-2011, 04:49 PM
I am finishing college next week and I would let them tear up my dipolma for $750,000 and tell me to **** off.

That is A LOT of money. If you're not an idiot you can turn that into more money / make that last awhile.

pd1dish
05-11-2011, 05:03 PM
id go overseas to play if i had that offer. it cant hurt to get experience against other professionals. also, if he is getting this much exposure as a sophomore in high school, hes automatically going to get drafted to the NBA barring any serious injuries/circumstances. it has to be better competition overseas against other professionals rather than playing against college players, who the majority will never play professionally.

sargon21
05-11-2011, 06:20 PM
how did you europeans find this site? just wondering

... btw this kid is sick, hope he takes the deal and pulls a jennings

NYKalltheway
05-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Personally, I searched for Knicks forums and I got this... apparently more than a Knicks forum :cool:

Hellcrooner
05-11-2011, 07:17 PM

So long ago that i barely remember.

THE MTL
05-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Being a 17-year old high school sophomore! I think someone needs to stay in SCHOOL! Most sophomores are 15 turning 16.

Anyway, he should def take it. Thats alot of money. More money than most Americans get in TEN YEARS!!

IAmKira
05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Is it me or he looks shorter than 5'6?

td0tsfinest
05-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned but both sides (Carr and Virtus Roma) have denied this rumour

http://www.sportando.net/eng/italy/serie-a/27276/tanjevic_denies_rumors_on_aquille_carr_in_roma.htm l

http://twitter.com/#!/DraftExpress/statuses/68256117414830080

MiamiWadeCounty
05-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I think it is a great decision by the kid to take the money. Let's say he plays college ball and gets his degree. After coming out of college, to make $750,000 most likely would take him 10 years +, unless you have a great job. I don't know if he could make the NBA, but even if he could, why take the risk of getting injured in college.

jfidsoafdas9
05-11-2011, 08:36 PM
welcome come to our famalegoods website:

( ***************************** )

everybody!sorry bother your time a min,we

are serious and professional jersey

supplier,we can offer NFL,NHL,MLB,NBA

jerser,the NFL jersey 18usd each,the NHL

jersey 38USD each.MLB jersey 18usd

each,NAB jersey 18usd each.we have many

jerseys of other players, so please

contact us for more information if you

are interested in .

1) More pictures available on our website

2) Many colors available .
3) Perfect quality, small order accepted

4) 100% safe door to door delivery,

within 5 - 7 days air express for small

orders .

5) We have lots of jerseys in stock

6) Letters and number are sewn on b2cshop

body, 100% embroidery

7) Size: .48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 60

8) Delivery by UPS, DHL, EMS door to door

9) Delivery in 5 - 7 days

NFL,NBA,MLB all are 18usd!!!!

The jerseys in stock may be updated

everyday !
come on,join us!

knicks4life33
05-11-2011, 09:28 PM
who ever said they wouldnt do it is kidding themselves unless your guarnteed to go to the nba and stay there for few years

NYY 26 to 7
05-11-2011, 09:41 PM
750,000 really not much at all. So if he is unsuccessful (if it is a one year deal) where does he go from there? He will start kicking around lower Euro leagues at 16 or 17 years old? How stupid is that? If he is any kind of good player which I assume he is he can get paid after high school of after college. Unless he wants to spend his teens and 20s in Europe away from everything he knows then this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

bulldog312
05-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Being a 17-year old high school sophomore! I think someone needs to stay in SCHOOL! Most sophomores are 15 turning 16.

Anyway, he should def take it. Thats alot of money. More money than most Americans get in TEN YEARS!!

I don't know the age cutoff in his district, but I know in my district there are very, very few 15 year old sophomores. The birthday cutoff here is May 31st, so only those with a birthday in the next 20 days are 15. Everyone else is 16. Anyone who is held back is 17. And maybe this is just my area, but I'd say about 15% of kids in my area were started in school a year late to try and give them an academic and athletic advantage.

I'm not saying the kid isn't dumb as hell, but to assume he is based on age is just stupid.

koreancabbage
05-11-2011, 11:09 PM
take the money. It will PAY for your tuition later. if you're good, you'll make more. If you're not, you lived a part of your life 99.9% of all basketball players would love to do - i.e. play in a professional league and get paid for it. , but will never get the chance to.

You only live this life once. with $750,000 AND a basketball player career, doors will/can open

NBAfan4life
05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
He would be a moron not to take the money. Honestly any high school athlete with that kind of offer would be dumb not to take that offer. You can go to school overseas and only enhance your resume.

What?
05-12-2011, 12:46 AM
He should defiantly take it. Obviously he isn't very smart and his height would make it next to impossible for him to make it in the NBA, Europe is his best option minus well go there now

Hellcrooner
05-12-2011, 01:02 AM
think it this way, how much time will it take for you to get that money on a regular job for a graduated from an university dude.

5 to 15 years deppending on wich kind of work you get.

And he is NOT smart, so Uni can do so much for him....

VictimUK
05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
if i were him i'd take the money, if he's smart with it your almost set for life, buy a nice house and a car and save the rest

buch88
05-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Get your education, enjoy teenage years with your friends, let the money come when you get endorsements later, play college, then play overseas when you're done in college.

Hellcrooner
05-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Get your education, enjoy teenage years with your friends, let the money come when you get endorsements later, play college, then play overseas when you're done in college.

1 he can get his education in europe ( there are H.S and Universitys here you know???)

2 he gets the money and the erondsmentes NOW.

3 he goes to college and gets a career ending injury, he earned no money and gets no euro contract.

he goes to europe and gets 750000 if eh gets a career ending injury he already got those, if he doesnt he can follow his euro career and win more money.