PDA

View Full Version : Why Pau Indeed IS to blame for the 3 point barrage / Why Dirk is That Good

TheHoopsProphet
05-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Ultimately this series came down to one thing: The battle between Dirk and Pau both on defense and offense. This battle, or, more appropriately, the German infantry's invasion of Spain, cascaded to the rest of the team. Pau was just as horrific on defense as he was with his box score numbers, further cementing the sentiment: this may have been the worst playoff performance for an elite all-star in NBA history.

The reason Dirk - not Pau - is the best PF in the league (http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/05/09/the-key-factor-in-dallas-three-point-barrage-dirk-nowitzki/)

ne3xchamps
05-09-2011, 03:45 PM
cool story. this series is over. this forum is getting way too plugged up with dumb threads about the lakers trading and blowing up there team, bynum, blah blah blah. find something else to talk about.

ManRam
05-09-2011, 03:46 PM
This is easily one of my favorite basketball blogs there is. Will look at it more in depth in a little...but looks like some solid analysis for sure. We might be prisoners of the moment saying Dirk is better than Pau, but I've felt like that for a little while now, so this certainly doesn't change my feelings. Dirk can be a great first option, I don't think Pau ever could.

GoatMilk
05-09-2011, 03:47 PM
im just glad Dirk's 33

TheHoopsProphet
05-09-2011, 03:48 PM
cool story. this series is over. this forum is getting way too plugged up with dumb threads about the lakers trading and blowing up there team, bynum, blah blah blah. find something else to talk about.

Wow with that response time, you clearly didnt even click the link. And by your logic, you should take off that sig in your picture because that series in 2008 is also over. Either interject useful criteria to the thread, or let the mods be responsible for what threads are worthy, and go patronize the local eldery at your parks and tell them to stop looking back on their life and die already! you are a bastard, and i wont take that back.

Hellcrooner
05-09-2011, 03:49 PM
You know what?

battles dont win a war.
Wouldnt be the first time Germany commits the mistake of thinking so :p

SteveNash
05-09-2011, 03:53 PM
This is easily one of my favorite basketball blogs there is. Will look at it more in depth in a little...but looks like some solid analysis for sure. We might be prisoners of the moment saying Dirk is better than Pau, but I've felt like that for a little while now, so this certainly doesn't change my feelings. Dirk can be a great first option, I don't think Pau ever could.

The only people who were prisoners of the moment were the ones saying Pau was better because he got traded to a team where he could be the second best player and get farther in the playoffs than Dirk could.

idrinkpepsi
05-09-2011, 04:02 PM
YEP TEAM LOSES LETS POST A BILLION THREADS ABOUT REBUILDING AND THE WHOLE SERIES.

:mad:

Im going to post some Orlando Magic threads or something.

sep11ie
05-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Listen here posters. If Hoopsprophet takes the time to start a thread, you read it and you like it. End of story.

pebloemer
05-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Ultimately this series came down to one thing: The battle between Dirk and Pau both on defense and offense. This battle, or, more appropriately, the German infantry's invasion of Spain, cascaded to the rest of the team. Pau was just as horrific on defense as he was with his box score numbers, further cementing the sentiment: this may have been the worst playoff performance for an elite all-star in NBA history.

The reason Dirk - not Pau - is the best PF in the league (http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/05/09/the-key-factor-in-dallas-three-point-barrage-dirk-nowitzki/)

I'm fine with the assertion that Dirk was the key cog in the three point barrage, and that he is the better player between him and Pau. But the assertion that Pau is to blame for the 3pt barrage is over the top. The article itself doesn't make that stretch and I'm not sure you should. Every player guarding Dirk failed and every rotation from the 5 Laker's on the floor was poorly executed. I'm not sure why Pau is singled out as the punching bag.

LionsFan..LOL
05-09-2011, 04:21 PM
TheHoopsProphet=G.O.A.T. Enjoy it people you don't see a legend like him very often.

TheWatcher34
05-09-2011, 04:21 PM
i dont understand the criticism of this thread.
but since it's about two European players, Dirk and Pau, the "typical" American fulfills the stereotype of being an ignorant fool. and at the same time it becomes clear, with an certain blatant degree of ignorance that the "typical" American is not able to handle or to reasonably think about any matter that refers to the outside of their geographical U.S.A boarder.

PSD is not a good website for bright discussions and insight analysis of the game of Basketball. Haters and homers get off my dick.

peace.

Crackadalic
05-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Listen here posters. If Hoopsprophet takes the time to start a thread, you read it and you like it. End of story.

This. When he speaks you listen. Questioning his logic is blasphemtic enough

gsgs49
05-09-2011, 04:26 PM
This

TheHoopsProphet=G.O.A.T. Enjoy it people you don't see a legend like him very often.

and this

Purple&Gold24
05-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Good read lol, but to many laker threads.

TheHoopsProphet
05-09-2011, 04:30 PM
i dont understand the criticism of this thread.
but since it's about two European players, Dirk and Pau, the "typical" American fulfills the stereotype of being an ignorant fool. and at the same time it becomes clear, with an certain blatant degree of ignorance that the "typical" American is not able to handle or to reasonably think about any matter that refers to the outside of their geographical U.S.A boarder.

PSD is not a good website for bright discussions and insight analysis of the game of Basketball. Haters and homers get off my dick.

peace.

you shut your mouth!

the foam tip of every beer poured into the glasses of every bar mate is made from the sweat of Dirk in my country, and from the tears of Pau! Though I am biased, I am not even American, but if you dare call me a fool again, I will fight you!

Pau was roaming on defense and not hurrying up on screen rotations. Other then Lamar, his assignment was Dirk. Stan Van Gundy, er, Phil Jackson I mean never threw zone out there, so Pau was assigned only to a single position to cover, not a single area. The greatness of Dirk forced other players to help out to defend Dirk, ending in 3 point fiestas

smith&wesson
05-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I dont think there was ever any question that dirk was the better palyer then pau.

dirk in his prime >>>>>>>>> pau in his prime. x 10 i dont even think its arguable. dirk was an mvp for god sakes. has pau ever even been in thoughs discussions ?

ddhulett
05-09-2011, 04:34 PM
You can't compare Dirk and Pau

Dirk and Kobe are the steak and Pau is the potatoes

The Jokemaker
05-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Wait people seriously had Pau as the best PF in the league over Dirk? Good lord that doesn't make any sense.

Hellcrooner
05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
you shut your mouth!

the foam tip of every beer poured into the glasses of every bar mate is made from the sweat of Dirk in my country, and from the tears of Pau! Though I am biased, I am not even American, but if you dare call me a fool again, I will fight you!

Pau was roaming on defense and not hurrying up on screen rotations. Other then Lamar, his assignment was Dirk. Stan Van Gundy, er, Phil Jackson I mean never threw zone out there, so Pau was assigned only to a single position to cover, not a single area. The greatness of Dirk forced other players to help out to defend Dirk, ending in 3 point fiestas

Dusseldorf......how is Fortuna doing? :rolleyes:

JordansBulls
05-09-2011, 05:13 PM
sorry no, blaming it on Pau is foolish. You expect Dirk to get off. You don't expect washed up players like Peja to go off nor do you expect Barea or Terry to go off. That starts in the backcourt.

Lakersfan2483
05-09-2011, 05:27 PM
The Hoopsprophet has struck again. lol. Good thread. Dirk is clearly better than Pau and the Mavs were the better team.

gotoHcarolina52
05-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Enjoy this while it lasts, petty trolls, for The Glorious Spanish Chorizo will not be obstructed in its mission to sodomize Dirk der Deutsche Douche next time around. That *** will be tapped.

Lakersfan2483
05-09-2011, 05:33 PM
sorry no, blaming it on Pau is foolish. You expect Dirk to get off. You don't expect washed up players like Peja to go off nor do you expect Barea or Terry to go off. That starts in the backcourt.

Pau takes a lion's share of the blame when his playoff numbers dip from close to 19 ppg to 13 ppg. Also, his shooting numbers went down tremendously from 53pct to 42pct. Beyond the numbers, I have NEVER seen a player of his caliber have his overall play drop off so much in one year. He was terrible this postseason.

The problems with the Lakers this year go beyond Pau, but you cannot say that he wasn't a major reason they aren't moving on in the playoffs this year.

TheHoopsProphet
05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Dusseldorf......how is Fortuna doing? :rolleyes:

I think they have a brighter future then the Lakers. The Fortuna bandwagon is in full stream!

ChiSox219
05-09-2011, 05:49 PM
There is plenty of blame to go around for the Lakers. A few of those plays in the post even highlight this.

I got the feeling that the Lakers had folded once Dallas made that initial run in the 1st/2nd quarter. The only guy that seemed to be playing hard was Odom and then he took himself out of the game, sad.

If Pau has to take the blame for this year then Kobe better give Gasol the '10 Finals MVP award.

KingPosey
05-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Maybe consistently bad throughout the series.

But Peja absolutely stank for us in crucial moments against the Lakers, and he was all star caliber at the time.

Sadds The Gr8
05-09-2011, 06:03 PM
TheHoopsProphet is Gr8

geraptor
05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
I think they have a brighter future then the Lakers. The Fortuna bandwagon is in full stream!

confirmed.

LeonFSU
05-09-2011, 06:13 PM
It was evident very early in the series that Pau could not guard Dirk. It was not that his defense was bad--it was nonexistent. So the Lakers had to adjust, and they didn't. I think you have to blame Phil Jackson for not making defensive/lineup adjustments.

Pau should have never been give to the chance to get so embarrassed by Dirk. Odom was probably the best matchup against Dirk and so Phil Jackson needed to start Odom. Pau's pathetic defense clearly led to a lot of open shots. Phil Jackson didn't make any of the necessary adjustments. Who knows if the series would have come out different, but it was hard to watch such obvious mismatches get exploited. Defensive adjustments had to at least be attempted.

Bruno
05-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Pau obviously isn't in the same league as Dirk, but there was a lot more to the sweep than just their match-up (which really didn't happen much throughout the series).

Anilyzer
05-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Whatever. Everything works and everything is awesome when your shooters are on a complete hot streak and you're shooting 89% from 3-pt land or whatever.

*wheeeeeee*

Dirk shoots the fadeaway double teamed from 27 feet--nothing but net! *wheeeee*

He kicks it out to Jason Terry who makes the 3 without looking at the rim! *wheeeee*

When your team gets on a total hot-shooting streak, and you get a couple key breaks from the refs, then everything is peaches and cream, everybody is a superstar, and you are the best team in the whole world. *wheeeeee*

If they miss like a couple more 3 pointers in the series, it is going back to LA 2-2 and they are in serious trouble.

I mean give them credit, great team, good players. But let's not get ridiculous. And they still have to pull it together, because it will be embarassing if Bosh shuts down Nowitzki and Miami sweeps Dallas.

kblo247
05-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Pau obviously isn't in the same league as Dirk, but there was a lot more to the sweep than just their match-up (which really didn't happen much throughout the series).

Going into game 4:

Tom Haberstroh reports that Nowitzki has shot 19-25 (76 percent) when guarded by Gasol in this series. Against other Lakers -- Ron Artest and Lamar Odom, largely -- Dirk is 13-32 (41 percent).

In game 3 NBA TV broke the tape down and 32 of Dirk's points were because of Pau losing him or getting beat by him.

He was the primary reason for the sweep. The guards, Ron, LO, and Andrew all doubled on that matchup because Pau was getting killed. They did the same thing in the Hornets series to stop Landry from killing him, which is why Ariza hit so many open corner 3's. The thing is unlike NOLA there are far more 3pt shooters on Dallas. He doesn't get killed in that matchup or he at least takes Dirk's legs away by making him work on defense by being strong in the post with his seals, hands, and movements and LA is much better off because guys can stay at home and actually have some trust in him. Phil didn't light into his *** and actually strike him for nothing.

Al Hughes
05-09-2011, 11:10 PM
YEP TEAM LOSES LETS POST A BILLION THREADS ABOUT REBUILDING AND THE WHOLE SERIES.

:mad:

Im going to post some Orlando Magic threads or something.

You should post what the Magic are gonna ask the lakers for for dwight howard

-Al Hughes

thekmp211
05-10-2011, 01:58 AM
pau's implosion cannot be understated. i know it seems silly now, but a year ago, fresh off of two straight titles, pau was considered the best OVERALL pf in the league. his rebounding, defense and toughness had apparently caught up with the rest of his skills.

or not? not sure what happened, but he didn't even look like remotely the same player. no one will ever mistake him for dirk's superior again, that's for damn sure.

Anilyzer
05-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Going into game 4:

In game 3 NBA TV broke the tape down and 32 of Dirk's points were because of Pau losing him or getting beat by him.

He was the primary reason for the sweep. The guards, Ron, LO, and Andrew all doubled on that matchup because Pau was getting killed. They did the same thing in the Hornets series to stop Landry from killing him, which is why Ariza hit so many open corner 3's. The thing is unlike NOLA there are far more 3pt shooters on Dallas. He doesn't get killed in that matchup or he at least takes Dirk's legs away by making him work on defense by being strong in the post with his seals, hands, and movements and LA is much better off because guys can stay at home and actually have some trust in him. Phil didn't light into his *** and actually strike him for nothing.

Pau was off his game and out of sync, yes, but Dallas was shooting ridiculously hot.

We saw in the regular season, when the 3s weren't falling for them, the Lakers absolutely toyed with them.

If Dirk misses some shots, or Terry and Peja aren't flawless from 3, then it all changes. Dirk is primarily a perimeter player, I'm not even sure about the wisdom of putting Pau on him in the first place... maybe we should've activated Ebanks to guard him or something.

But regardless... it's the hot shooting that changes the whole equation. They're a streaky team. Watch. They could very well get SWEPT by Miami if they're not on a hot streak.