PDA

View Full Version : Kareem Abdul Jabaar critical of todays NBA players

Savage Sunday
05-09-2011, 03:40 PM
When asked about today’s game, he said: “Today’s players learn about the skills later than I did. They are not trained for shots between five and 15 feet. I think it affects the quality of the game, but fans seem to enjoy it.”

Link (http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=kareem-abdul-jabbar-touches-racism-issue-in-documentary-2011-05-09)

Do you guys agree that todays NBA players aren't learning the proper skills?

There are plenty of guys in the NBA who are only known for dunking, which is about all they're good at. In comparison to past generations, its few current NBA players who are known primarily for skill rather than athleticism.

Guys like Dirk, Carmelo, & Kobe come to mind first. But all of these guys developed skill moves over their career.

SteveNash
05-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Link (http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=kareem-abdul-jabbar-touches-racism-issue-in-documentary-2011-05-09)

There are plenty of guys in the NBA who are only known for dunking, which is about all they're good at. In comparison to past generations, its few current NBA players who are known primarily for skill rather than athleticism.

Guys like Dirk, Carmelo, & Kobe come to mind first. But all of these guys developed skill moves over their career.

No, Kareem is heavily biased. For example in the same article:

An avid reader of history, Abdul-Jabbar was asked if he found any traces of racism in Turkey. “That situation is not translated to here,” the legendary player said. “Take the Ottoman Empire, for example, their system was not based on race; it was based on professional excellence. They took a boy from, say, the Balkans and he could be a successful soldier, it didn’t matter what color they were. That is why modern Turkish society has no racism issue.”

Complete joke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide

Guess he just considers Turkey part of his brotherhood.

Lake_Show2416
05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
ya i agree with him to an extent cuz most players coming into the NBA these days mostly rely on their athleticism & just drive to the rim instead of focusing on the whole overall game. Of course there r some exceptions with certain players but for the most part Kareem pretty much got it right

JordansBulls
05-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Agree with him. Guys take too many 3's nowadays.

SteveNash
05-09-2011, 04:04 PM

Why wouldn't they when it's the superior shot?

Jaji
05-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Athleticism trumps skill. If you're tall and can jump really, really high then you'll be drafted really, really high. Meanwhile the 5'-10" kid who plays the game "the right way" will be left trying to get back in transition while the athletes make top 10 dunks.

If anything, blame the coaches and GMs. Really just the coaches. Can't fault the GM for drafting the guy who jumps through the roof because no one will be able to stop him.

Now if the coaches would teach some skills. NBA coaches don't teach fundamentals. They expect you to already have that. But when you have guys coming straight from HS, they're not gonna learn those fundamentals. So the NBA institutes their 1 year rule. Ok, they're still not gonna learn that much in 1 year of college. Especially the way the college game is played today. If you're a Senior, that means you suck because you weren't athletic enough to go the league earlier. So those Seniors bring their fundamentally sound games to the league and get ran over by the athletes of the league.

I think the issue has more to do with the coaches than anything.

John Walls Era
05-09-2011, 04:08 PM

Why would they not want to take 3s if they're better at it and if its worth more points?

jiggin
05-09-2011, 04:25 PM
No, Kareem is heavily biased. For example in the same article:

Complete joke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide

Guess he just considers Turkey part of his brotherhood.

what the hell are you talking about? He isn't biased...and how does some random question about history and his answer show he is bias? Do you know what Bias means? seriously...

Kareem is old school when they played the game the right way. He isn't the first old timer to say these things...

Crackadalic
05-09-2011, 04:27 PM
i agree to a certain extent but its more of the coaches not teaching them especially the younger players how t play the game the right way. There more concern about winning and keeping their job then developing a player

Raph12
05-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Midrange is the least effective way to score, although having a good midrange game comes in handy as teams prefer and try to force opposing teams to take shots from that area... The 3 and baskets at/near the rim are the most effective ways to score.

PS: What he's saying isn't completely wrong though, too many players rely too heavily on their athleticism than skills, better grooming prior to the NBA would help a lot.

enserio
05-09-2011, 04:46 PM
It's pretty obvious his knowledge on bball is deep compared to his insight on history. He knows what he speaks of - he honed his skills in college, which is what most players did back then. The high school phenom didn't occur every year like it does now.

smith&wesson
05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
i agree that players now a days seem to specialize in one area or another for example, jason kapono, kyle korver seem to only be good at shooting threes and nothing else really, and bargnani and lopez are two 5's are just horrible at rebounding but are skilled in offense. i think players need to work on theyre all around games more rather then just being really good at one thing.

sep11ie
05-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Are you kidding me? Players are trained way better these days. You see how easily they pull off the double, triple, and sometimes even quadruple dribbles.

Hangtime
05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Mid range game is usually sacrificed because players simply go out to the three point line for the open shot. My biggest gripe with younger teams is that they can't run a simple fast break anymore. It can be 3 on 2 and the guard either keeps the ball resulting in a blown layup getting missed or blocked or he stops at the three point line himself not passing at all or his teammate stops at the 3 point line resulting in a lower percentage shot instead running to the rim. I see it all the time these days.

SteveNash
05-09-2011, 05:34 PM
what the hell are you talking about? He isn't biased...and how does some random question about history and his answer show he is bias? Do you know what Bias means? seriously...

Kareem is old school when they played the game the right way. He isn't the first old timer to say these things...

Do you know what bias is?

Clearly he thinks his generation was better, because he was a part of it. Just like he's defending Turkey because he shares a common bond with that country.