PDA

View Full Version : The end of an Era

Frantico
05-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Can anyone recall a season that even comes close to this one in terms of "Changing of the guard" in the league? I mean, it's pretty ridiculous - the 2010/2011 season should be remembered as the year when one chapter ended and a new one began.

Just off the top of my head...

- Cleveland suddenly goes from best to worst in one evening.

- Miami becomes a legit contender for years to come in one evening.

- The Knicks are no longer a doormat and are relevant again.

- Jerry Sloan stops coaching the Utah Jazz.

- The Bulls, after years, are one of the best teams in the league again.

- Young, promising teams (OKC, Memphis, Atlanta, etc.) are no longer just
young and promising. They are young and REALLY good.

- The Nets and the Clippers actually seem to have brighter days ahead of
them for once

- The Spurs, Magic and Lakers don't make it out of the second round.

- The Spurs as we know them, I hate to say, seem to be done.

- The Lakers as we know them, I love to say, seem to be done.

- The Celtics are very close to being done. This might be their last year.

- Tim Duncan and Shaq are truly on their last legs (especially Shaq)

- Phil Jackson has finally had enough (or has he?)

- New players (Durant, Rose, etc.) are taking over and becoming stars.

- With the CBA looming, more changes are on the way for teams. And maybe
small market teams might have a fighting chance to compete and keep their
star players.

- and finally... Kobe is no longer Kobe. He's still one of the best... but he's not
THE best... There are at least 5 guys I'd take before him.

- It feels like this year is truly a changing of the guard in the league...

Tarheels23
05-09-2011, 11:40 AM
It happens every 10 years or so, nothing new here

Crackadalic
05-09-2011, 11:43 AM
I feel kinda old thinking about it even though im nowhere near in my mid-twenties

BigCityofDreams
05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Can anyone recall a season that even comes close to this one in terms of "Changing of the guard" in the league? I mean, it's pretty ridiculous - the 2010/2011 season should be remembered as the year when one chapter ended and a new one began.

them for once

star players.

- and finally... Kobe is no longer Kobe. He's still one of the best... but he's not

Hopefully not

AllBall
05-09-2011, 12:04 PM
http://youtu.be/S-Xrlf3taEo

A moment of silence.

ManRam
05-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Hopefully not

Really? You just want the same big markets being good for the rest of your life??

The changing of guard is insane. The teams that have won 10 of the last 12 championships could all very well have their best days behind them (SA, LA, BOS). Orlando, Cleveland, Phoenix, and Utah all seem to have taken a step back, and all were perennial contenders (all made it to their CF within the last 2 years and most did it multiple times).

OKC/Memphis, Chicago, Miami and Dallas all either lost in round 1 or didn't even make the playoffs...and all 4 will possibly be in their respective conference Finals. That's the other side of it.

I haven't seen a huge swing like this in a long time...mainly because those three teams finally don't seem to be the absolute elite like they have been. Boston can salvage it, but I think only once in the last 12 years have there been 4 teams left, and Boston, LA and SA weren't one of them. This is significant.

BigBlueCrew
05-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes of course.

Its like ManRam said in his first sentence if the same markets kept on winning none of the other markets would watch basketball/NBA.

PhillyFaninLA
05-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I think the Sixers need to be added to the brighter days ahead line in the OP.

Sadds The Gr8
05-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Hopefully not

:facepalm:

210Don
05-09-2011, 12:17 PM
hasnt every year since 99 it has been lakers or spurs in finals? this will be the first year.... wow...

oh forgot the mavs lol except one year

BigCityofDreams
05-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Really? You just want the same big markets being good for the rest of your life??

The changing of guard is insane. The teams that have won 10 of the last 12 championships could all very well have their best days behind them (SA, LA, BOS). Orlando, Cleveland, Phoenix, and Utah all seem to have taken a step back, and all were perennial contenders (all made it to their CF within the last 2 years and most did it multiple times).

OKC/Memphis, Chicago, Miami and Dallas all either lost in round 1 or didn't even make the playoffs...and all 4 will possibly be in their respective conference Finals. That's the other side of it.

I haven't seen a huge swing like this in a long time...mainly because those three teams finally don't seem to be the absolute elite like they have been. Boston can salvage it, but I think only once in the last 12 years have there been 4 teams left, and Boston, LA and SA weren't one of them. This is significant.

I'm just tired of the small market teams complaining about the balance in the league.

Lo Porto
05-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Great thread. Star and team transistion is just a cycle, but the era ending that will have the most impact will be the loss of Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan. Those two guys coached a combined 50 years and only had 1 losing season (Sloan the year after Hall of Famers Stockton & Malone left). Both coaches represented discipline, fundamentals and basketball based on a system. There will never be a more successful coach than Phil Jackson ever again. On the other hand, there will never be a more successful small market coach than Jerry Sloan ever again. Both will be sorely missed and the game will never be the same.

heyman321
05-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm just tired of the small market teams complaining about the balance in the league.

Lmao says the guy who roots for the Yankees, Knicks, Lakers.

BigCityofDreams
05-09-2011, 12:32 PM

What's the problem with that.

Sly Guy
05-09-2011, 12:32 PM

- Cleveland suddenly goes from best to worst in a one hour television special. .

them for once

star players.

Fixed IMO
And phil never has had enough. He'll let the 'retirement' thought linger till it gets him a bigger paycheque next season......like he ALWAYS does.

Avenged
05-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I like the "shift", although it's not as big as it is made out to be.. But it goes to show how far good management can take a team.

Higher markets will most likely always be in the mix of things though since it's easier for them to attract players there. A lot of teams who haven't been good in a while suddenly seem to have a bright future, but then suddenly something happens and they hit reality. The Bucks last season for example. The Clippers a few years ago. The Blazers who were considered by many to be championship contenders got hit by many injuries to their star players..

Teams like the Lakers and Spurs have been dominant for so long this past decade because they've been able to attract players there. Seems like other markets are doing that nowadays though, mainly due to good F.O decisions.

KingPosey
05-09-2011, 12:34 PM

Ya really lol. Justify that.

Hellcrooner
05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
if you think spurs or lakers wont be back you are bound to get a surprise.

jockrider
05-09-2011, 12:40 PM

it's over

-tim duncan

Hangtime
05-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I think the most refreshing thing right now is the resurrection of the NYK. They will be relevant again after about 10 years. The eastern conference was attrocious for so long. And you have got a potential three way rivalry between MIA, NY, CHI for the next few years. D. Howard possibly on the move as well as CP3. Great transition to a new era.

210Don
05-09-2011, 12:50 PM

i wonder if we have elevated to a franchise like the lakers or ces where we will always attract free agents because of the history or when timmy is done where done and no one will ever come here again what you think?

Lo Porto
05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I think SA is going to have a hard time attracting free agents. They aren't as "small market" as OKC, Utah, Memphis or others, but they still don't have that allure that LA, NY, or Miami have. Small or smaller market teams have to have stars in place for free agents to want to join. Once Timmy leaves, I'm not sure free agents will yearn for San Antonio.

Avenged
05-09-2011, 12:56 PM
i wonder if we have elevated to a franchise like the lakers or ces where we will always attract free agents because of the history or when timmy is done where done and no one will ever come here again what you think?

A team like the Spurs, you guys will have to work quickly. What I mean is, your F.O will have to bring in another young star there before it gets too late, if it isn't already. With Duncan not being the same, Manu being 33, not a lot of top talent will want to go there since the team is on the decline. With some solid trades, and possible persuasions towards F.A, you're team will still be able to compete in the future.

Or you guys will probably suck in like 2 years, end up with a lottery pick, and draft yourself a young stud.

210Don
05-09-2011, 12:58 PM
A team like the Spurs, you guys will have to work quickly. What I mean is, your F.O will have to bring in another young star there before it gets too late, if it isn't already. With Duncan not being the same, Manu being 33, not a lot of top talent will want to go there since the team is on the decline. With some solid trades, and possible persuasions towards F.A, you're team will still be able to compete in the future.

Or you guys will probably suck in like 2 years, end up with a lottery pick, and draft yourself a young stud.
yeah i dont see a young star coming here... unless its a guy like rudy gay or that kind of talent...
also a team like the bulls didnt attract free agents after jordan left i think that the free agents just go to the teams that are winning at the time.

Voodoo Alchemy
05-09-2011, 03:03 PM

them for once

star players.

:laugh:

Frantico
05-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Whoever said "this happens every 10 years, nothing new here", is wrong. This is bigger than just players getting older and the balance of power shifting. This change is pretty monumental. First of, we're losing two of the greatest coaches of all time (Jackson, Sloan) - even if either one comes back, I highly doubt they go back to their respective teams. And I doubt if we'll ever see another guy win 11 rings again, or another guy coach a team for 23 years straight - are you kidding me??

Secondly, it's not just Jordan retiring or something like that, this is a major shift in players and teams. Goodbye to the dominance of Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, the Celtics, and hello to new teams and new stars. Rose, Durant, LBJ, etc. have all been good for a while, but this is the year they are all stepping up and beating the old greats, although I do still think the C's might be able to get to the finals one last time.

And thirdly, I don't EVER remember a year where so many established/favored teams were beat by underdogs - in the first rounds no less! Memphis beating SA, Atlanta beating Orlando, Dallas sweeping LA - no - this is not a "every ten years" season, this truly feels like the end of an era.

Hawkeye15
05-09-2011, 03:14 PM
While this is one of the most dramatic one year swings I can remember, I am 35. I have seen a handful of changing of the guards now, from the Magic/Bird era, to the MJ era, to the Kobe/Shaq/KG/Duncan era, and now we are moving into the LJ/D12/whomever else era. Happens in sports. Oh well

Sadds The Gr8
05-09-2011, 03:17 PM
lmao says the guy who roots for the yankees, knicks, lakers.

+1

Rafer17
05-09-2011, 03:21 PM
I think we can agree that this is one of the greatest NBA seasons ever.

ne3xchamps
05-09-2011, 03:30 PM

them for once

star players.

Even though I'm a die hard celtics fan, you really can't say changing of the guard with them. They only became really good again a few years ago. They weren't consistently competitive. But they won't fall off the map like many seem to think. Danny Ainge didn't do these moves with the big 3 and moving perk just for a few years of being good. The c's will reload.. book it.

ne3xchamps
05-09-2011, 03:32 PM
While this is one of the most dramatic one year swings I can remember, I am 35. I have seen a handful of changing of the guards now, from the Magic/Bird era, to the MJ era, to the Kobe/Shaq/KG/Duncan era, and now we are moving into the LJ/D12/whomever else era. Happens in sports. Oh well

this. I've been watching basketball for over 20 years and its always bound to happen. Its just the circle of sports. It usually happens in every major sport.

ne3xchamps
05-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Whoever said "this happens every 10 years, nothing new here", is wrong. This is bigger than just players getting older and the balance of power shifting. This change is pretty monumental. First of, we're losing two of the greatest coaches of all time (Jackson, Sloan) - even if either one comes back, I highly doubt they go back to their respective teams. And I doubt if we'll ever see another guy win 11 rings again, or another guy coach a team for 23 years straight - are you kidding me??

Secondly, it's not just Jordan retiring or something like that, this is a major shift in players and teams. Goodbye to the dominance of Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, the Celtics, and hello to new teams and new stars. Rose, Durant, LBJ, etc. have all been good for a while, but this is the year they are all stepping up and beating the old greats, although I do still think the C's might be able to get to the finals one last time.

And thirdly, I don't EVER remember a year where so many established/favored teams were beat by underdogs - in the first rounds no less! Memphis beating SA, Atlanta beating Orlando, Dallas sweeping LA - no - this is not a "every ten years" season, this truly feels like the end of an era.

Once again you can't put the c's in the same sentence. Much appreciated from me being a die hard c's fan, but they've only been relevant again for a few years.

sep11ie
05-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I wish my team was relevant again. Sighhhh.

Frantico
05-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Of course it's bound to happen - people get old. Things change, it's the law of the Universe. We all know that. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's ever happened quite like this. So dramatically. In one season.

And I'm sorry... But the C's are in serious trouble. They might be successful this season but get ready for a dark future. Jeff Green is not the answer.

sep11ie
05-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Once again you can't put the c's in the same sentence. Much appreciated from me being a die hard c's fan, but they've only been relevant again for a few years.

I think you can put the C's in that same category. They will be starting from scratch here in a year or 2. In their time they have won a title, been to another finals(and they very well could be this year) so they belong as a 2000's elite team.

I don't think they will have the pieces to rebuild quickly and I don't think Rondo will be worth keeping on a rebuilding team without KG, Ray, and Paul. I could see him being moved to speed up the process a little bit.

fadedmario
05-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Can't forget Memphis - Could be the first 8th seed to make it to the conference finals.

gaughan333
05-09-2011, 03:55 PM
I hope rondo doesn't get moved. I wanna see what he can do when he isn't playing with all those great players.

Raph12
05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
A Grizz-Hawks Finals would be damn refreshing, that's for sure...

king4day
05-09-2011, 05:16 PM

People forget that SA is a small market too. One major league franchise.
They have some good young talent to build around but they should seriously consider dealing some guys to halfway rebuild like the Suns did before Amar'e left.

king4day
05-09-2011, 05:17 PM
A Grizz-Hawks Finals would be damn refreshing, that's for sure...

I'd love to watch that but I'm sure sponsers would begin pulling out. :)

Gibby23
05-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I think you can put the C's in that same category. They will be starting from scratch here in a year or 2. In their time they have won a title, been to another finals(and they very well could be this year) so they belong as a 2000's elite team. I don't think they will have the pieces to rebuild quickly and I don't think Rondo will be worth keeping on a rebuilding team without KG, Ray, and Paul. I could see him being moved to speed up the process a little bit.

They belong with the Pistons of the 2000's, not with the Lakers or Spurs.

BigCityofDreams
05-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Who has a brighter future the Lakers or the Celtics?

Or are they in the same boat?

jzero
05-10-2011, 09:07 AM
i feel like it was only yesterday that shaq left the lakers
damn we old

dnewguy
05-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Lets see what Kobe does without Phil, I think the Lakers will become the new Knicks.

JDMVP
05-10-2011, 09:26 AM
It always happens.....it all started with the GREAT LAKER LEGEND George Mikan.....to The Great Celtics teams.....to the many stars of the 70s.....to SHOWTIME.....to MJ and Scottie and the BULLS.....To the LAKER dynasty.....There is always a new ERA every time no one should be surprised.

AllBall
05-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Lets see what Kobe does without Phil, I think the Lakers will become the new Knicks.

That will never happen. The ownership and management is not inept and stupid.

KnicksorBust
05-10-2011, 09:59 AM

them for once

star players.

This truly is a turning point in NBA History and you earmarked all the significant moments. Great post. :clap:

BlinkManJan02
05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Just watch out for the Bucks.

kdspurman
05-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Can't forget Memphis - Could be the first 8th seed to make it to the conference finals.

I think the Knicks were the first team to do that in 99 as an 8th seed making it to the NBA finals...

Miltstar
05-10-2011, 12:18 PM
haha so much happening in the NBA and I've barely watched a game because my Raptors are terrible and don't appear to have a bright future unless we can win the draft lottery

Shark
05-10-2011, 12:39 PM

them for once

star players.

Your the opposite of bright.

Baller1
05-10-2011, 12:42 PM

What in that post makes him "the opposite of bright"?

gotoHcarolina52
05-10-2011, 12:52 PM

AHAHAHAHAHA! You = :win:

Frantico
05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Shark, why do you feel the need to come in here and insult someone? Is your life that sad and pathetic?

SoxBearsBulls!
05-10-2011, 01:26 PM

What a great retort to all of the OP's points:facepalm:

Massive Fail, dude.

Chronz
05-10-2011, 01:33 PM

Based on what?

Chronz
05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQlIVMHSq8E

Hellcrooner
05-10-2011, 01:55 PM

mmmm JERRY and JEANNIE Buss are not stupid.

Mitch is.......shady.

Problem is JIM buss IS INDEED STUPID and he may be getting more prominence in teams decision soon :facepalm:

AllBall
05-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Sorry, in the stupid department James Dolan is champion. :facepalm:

Hawkeye15
05-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I wish my team was relevant again. Sighhhh.

ummmm