PDA

View Full Version : Who's harder to guard?

meloman1592
05-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Is it harder to stay in front of explosive leaping pg's like Rose, Westbrook and Wall or the old type that would break you down with flashy dribbling i.e:AI,steve francis,marbury.

Not who you'd rather have.....who is harder to GUARD?

AIRMAR72
05-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Is it harder to stay in front of explosive leaping pg's like Rose, Westbrook and Wall or the old type that would break you down with flashy dribbling i.e:AI,steve francis,marbury.

iverson,francis and marbury ALL explode to basket with THRUST like rose and the other new youngbloods in da league but in most case PG with crafty ball handles like stockton and tim hardaway,rod strickland etc cause more problem because they can rock u and jerk you with the ball having you guessing wrong like raymond felton and ty lawson,steve nash

Rentzias
05-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Harder to guard a PG who can handle the rock. I enjoyed playing against the uber-athletic PGs who would try to jump over everyone: 1) you've reduced your options once you go airborne and 2) easier to anticipate and take a charge.

That said, ball-handling is useless if you don't have some explosiveness. A quick first step and the ability to blow by someone is what sets up a good crossover in the first place.

Jetsguy
05-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I think it is hardest to guard a PG who can effectively shoot the 3

Sadds The Gr8
05-09-2011, 10:30 AM
i think it's hardest to guard a guy with handles....ESPECIALLY if he can shoot. nothing more frustrating than staying in front of a sick ballhandler, only for the result to be a 15 foot jumper hit right in your face

ManRam
05-09-2011, 10:35 AM

That was my first though. If Russy or Rose suddenly became a great three point shooter, well, they'd be harder to guard that the other. Right now it's Rose among those three. But there doesn't exist a huge difference between Rose and Russy.

I do think the explosiveness is tougher to guard than flashiness. However, I also think saying someone like AI didn't have the explosiveness, just because he did have a wicked crossover, isn't the truth. He was as explosive as any current PG.

jockrider
05-09-2011, 10:39 AM
iverson was an impossible cover

dnewguy
05-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Chris Paul. He doesn't take 32 shots in a game and you also never know when he'll shoot or go for a lay up. And you've got to admire a pg that would not pull up for a 3 point shot rather than pass the ball.

Rentzias
05-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Chris Paul. He doesn't take 32 shots in a game and you also never know when he'll shoot or go for a lay up. And you've got to admire a pg that would not pull up for a 3 point shot rather than pass the ball.

I don't know, I hated covering guards who could pull up for 3s, and I think that was a lot of the effectiveness of Steve Nash. For the D'Antoni offense to be successful, it required that the defending PG go OVER the screen, and if Nash couldn't shoot treys, then the guard would probably stay under, and reduce the effectiveness of the pick and roll.

Basically, in terms of difficulty for an opposing PG, I would think 1) Steve Nash-type (ballhander/shooter), 2) D-Will/D-Rose-type (explosive/shooter), 3) CP3-type (ballhandler/pass-first) ... 25) Charlie Ward-type.

mustaine
05-09-2011, 11:02 AM
iverson was an impossible cover

Yeah, he was, his first step was incredibly fast... never seen anything like it and he was really explosive as well, maybe he wasn't dunking it all the time but he threw himself into big guys and was not afraid of anything.

jets-24
05-09-2011, 11:31 AM

wow another cheap shot at rose ...and by who a bandwagon heat fan...cmon seriously....

yes d rose is a PG but can you please name me another bull who can create his own shot of the dribble or score period for that matter...

the whole bulls squad last night offensively was off

besides that our offense goes thru the MVP if he feels as though he wants to take 32 shots thats on him ...especially when 25 of 32 where layups at the rim and about 7 -10 of them where non calls

worry about ur own team

jets-24
05-09-2011, 11:35 AM
d rose bcuz he can score at the rim with any type of shot hes incredible

magichatnumber9
05-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I think it is hardest to guard a PG who can effectively shoot the 3I agree but sometimes that 3pt line can becomes to tempting at times and players develop bad habits as a result.

meloman1592
05-09-2011, 12:14 PM
I think russ and rose might be two of. The most explosive point guards of all time but with them, its a crelentless attack based on strength and speed. Iverson and francis back in the day would destroy your ankles...wait for you to recover, then score. It was embarassing for defenders. I think its harder to guard those guys.

Master Mind
05-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Chris Paul is like Isaiah Thomas and Tim Hardaway wrapped in one, his craftiness coupled with his quickness and toughness makes him a tough cover but I'd have to say a Deron Williams type PG is probably the hardest to cover. He has the ability to pull up on you, cross you, and body you. Don't get me wrong I love Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook, they are definitely different breeds of the PG position but Deron Williams virtually has it all...

SignGod
05-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Why am I not surprised that a Heat fan took a shot at Rose?! Maybe if Rose had another star player to pass to, so that player can pull up and take a three at a crucial moment just to miss it, he would! Last I checked Rose has had 20 assist in the last two games as well as 44 and 34 point games! Wasn't Rose also the only player to avg. 25+ points and 7+ assists in NBA history? So worry bout your own team! You know your still getting to know them this year since you didn't know Miami had an NBA team last year...NEW GUY! :rolleyes:

iggypop123
05-09-2011, 12:37 PM
with no handchecking you cant guard anyone these days

jockrider
05-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Why am I not surprised that a Heat fan took a shot at Rose?! Maybe if Rose had another star player to pass to, so that player can pull up and take a three at a crucial moment just to miss it, he would! Last I checked Rose has had 20 assist in the last two games as well as 44 and 34 point games! Wasn't Rose also the only player to avg. 25+ points and 7+ assists in NBA history? So worry bout your own team! You know your still getting to know them this year since you didn't know Miami had an NBA team last year...NEW GUY! :rolleyes:

maybe rose will leave because of that mmm maybe lakers? let the speculation begin:D

lebron is averaged 26 and 7 this year and averaged up to 30 and 7 at his statistical peak so no rose is not the only player to avg 25 and 7+

smith&wesson
05-09-2011, 12:53 PM
idk... umm iverson in his prime ?

Car Ramrod
05-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't know, I hated covering guards who could pull up for 3s, and I think that was a lot of the effectiveness of Steve Nash. For the D'Antoni offense to be successful, it required that the defending PG go OVER the screen, and if Nash couldn't shoot treys, then the guard would probably stay under, and reduce the effectiveness of the pick and roll.

Basically, in terms of difficulty for an opposing PG, I would think 1) Steve Nash-type (ballhander/shooter), 2) D-Will/D-Rose-type (explosive/shooter), 3) CP3-type (ballhandler/pass-first) ... 25) Charlie Ward-type.

My thoughts exactly. When you are guarding a point guard that can shoot, but also can pass you have to be aware of where everyone on the floor is.

Guys like Iverson and sometimes Carmello are hard to guard but if you guard against the shot you will be right 80% of the time and can tire these guys out. Vince Carter in his prime was bad for this too. When the game was in the fourth he would get double teamed down low because teams knew he was going to shoot.

Plus a ball handler will get hurt way less. If the defender is aware a player can drive it creates space and that all you need if you can shoot. Jordan was the master of this, and Nash uses it as well. Rose it hard to guard but he is already getting injured. If you can shoot you will only need to drive a couple of times a game to create the space. Lebron is also getting really good at this.

Guarding a big man that can pass also creates a challenge. Webber and Kareem were the best passers from the post I have seen.

If you can pass and shoot you will be harder to guard than someone who can drive in the long run.

SignGod
05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
maybe rose will leave because of that mmm maybe lakers? let the speculation begin:D

lebron is averaged 26 and 7 this year and averaged up to 30 and 7 at his statistical peak so no rose is not the only player to avg 25 and 7+

First....rose is never leaving and Chicago would NEVER let him! Second that stat was kinda on the fly. He's the seventh player in league history to average at least 25 points, 7.5 assists and 4.0 rebounds, along with Jordan, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Wade and James, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Point being is he passes the ball as well and doesn't just pull up for three's as dnewguy jabbed about! I know you know what I mean.

jets-24
05-09-2011, 01:16 PM
u say c paul is tim hardaway and someone wrapped in one......d rose is every great pg wrapped in 1 drose does everything better than every pg in the league today and ever ...his crossover is great his spin move is outstanding , he gets to the basket with ease, he is the best finisher at the rim , hes a great foul shooter now, his jumper is way better no so dont say it sucks....

hes not the mvp for no reason.....who was the last pg to win that award

jets-24
05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
not to mention his incredible d

Car Ramrod
05-09-2011, 01:21 PM
wow another cheap shot at rose ...and by who a bandwagon heat fan...cmon seriously....

yes d rose is a PG but can you please name me another bull who can create his own shot of the dribble or score period for that matter...

the whole bulls squad last night offensively was off

besides that our offense goes thru the MVP if he feels as though he wants to take 32 shots thats on him ...especially when 25 of 32 where layups at the rim and about 7 -10 of them where non calls

worry about ur own team

I don't think it was cheap shot at Rose. Rose is unreal and rightfully the MVP but he will have a short career because of injuries, not talent, if he keeps doing what he is. Wade is starting to realize it as well.

Driving to the basket constantly is asking for trouble. Watch Steve Nash, Parker or Kidd. They drive to draw the double and then find the open man. If they get the shot they take it. They rarely leave their feet and and are rarely injured. Seeing the floor is as important is as important as seeing the basket. Derek Fisher, Robert Horry, Steve Kerr, Ray Allen, Sasha Vujacic and John Barry were vital parts of their respective championship teams.

Rose and Wade are on a different talent level than most players in the NBA but so were Iverson, Francis, Marbury, McGrady, etc. I don't see the comments as a shot at their abilities. You have to trust your teammates in the NBA to win a championship whether or not they give you a reason to.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
outta all those players... that have been mentioned. AI was the most unguardable... there's a reason he was 5'10" and still puttin up 30.

Rentzias
05-09-2011, 02:09 PM
outta all those players... that have been mentioned. AI was the most unguardable... there's a reason he was 5'10" and still puttin up 30.

It wasn't because of practice. Although when he was really tearing it up, Eric Snow was technically his point guard. Eric Snow missed out on all three things discussed in this thread: explosiveness, handles and a three-point shot.

BkOriginalOne
05-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Iverson might be the hardest player to guard in NBA history.

mttwlsn16
05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Iverson would have literally broken both my ankles first time down the floor

god i miss him :(

mttwlsn16
05-09-2011, 03:03 PM
First....rose is never leaving and Chicago would NEVER let him! Second that stat was kinda on the fly. He's the seventh player in league history to average at least 25 points, 7.5 assists and 4.0 rebounds, along with Jordan, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Wade and James, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Point being is he passes the ball as well and doesn't just pull up for three's as dnewguy jabbed about! I know you know what I mean.

kind of like lebron never left cleveland?

gaughan333
05-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Deron Williams is big too. He's a pg that can post you up

gaughan333
05-09-2011, 04:01 PM
not to mention his incredible d

Derrick does not play incredible D. He is good at best. He does not have a good three point shot. His shot selection is more than questionable at times. He also doesn't have better court vision or basketball iq than guys like nash and CP3. This is coming from a bull's fan btw. Try to be realistic you make bulls fans look bad.

theheatles
05-09-2011, 04:10 PM
i remember seeing a brandon jennings interview earlier in the season and he said deron williams is the hardest player to guard for him

dtmagnet
05-09-2011, 04:16 PM
A very skilled post player is harder to defend IMO.

Lu's Dynasty
05-09-2011, 06:08 PM
If it's who is harder to guard it's Rose. He is the whole offense. You have to throw everything including the kitchen sink at him or he is going to be in the lane all game. He as handles (flashy dribbling), quickness, and explosive power when he drives or leaves the ground. There really isn't one guy that can stay in front of Rose. He has to be doubled and can be since the Bulls offense is basically Rose-dependent. But even then he can slip the double-team and get a layup or dunk through 4 defenders (see ATL game from Friday for latest example) or pass to an open shooter.

Now, I would say Iverson was the hardest draw on defense of any PG because he was able to break down his man easily with moves and quickness, he rarely had someone to pass it to that he could rely on for 20 points a night throughout his career, and I don't know about anyone else, but he got more defenders in the air than anyone I've ever seen. Don't forget those sweet passes we see are also dependent upon the IQ of the teammates around the PG and they still have to make the shot for an assist to be counted so I take court vision as meaning not just the ability to see a pass through tight spots, but also getting into spaces on the court when driving that no one else could even imagine let alone actually occupy in order to gain an advantage when driving. In general the all-time most difficult to guard (PG or SG) would be His Airness.

If we're supposed to answer what type of PG is hardest to guard then I'd say someone with quickness, power, handles, and a good shooter. I don't think there is one player at the PG with all of that. Paul is a difficult draw and so is Rose, but for different reasons. Those two players are clearly the best players on their team and man the point guard/leadership position on the court. You come into the game trying to scheme against them.

Master Mind
05-09-2011, 06:20 PM
If it's who is harder to guard it's Rose. He is the whole offense. You have to throw everything including the kitchen sink at him or he is going to be in the lane all game. He as handles (flashy dribbling), quickness, and explosive power when he drives or leaves the ground. There really isn't one guy that can stay in front of Rose. He has to be doubled and can be since the Bulls offense is basically Rose-dependent. But even then he can slip the double-team and get a layup or dunk through 4 defenders (see ATL game from Friday for latest example) or pass to an open shooter.

Now, I would say Iverson was the hardest draw on defense of any PG because he was able to break down his man easily with moves and quickness, he rarely had someone to pass it to that he could rely on for 20 points a night throughout his career, and I don't know about anyone else, but he got more defenders in the air than anyone I've ever seen. Don't forget those sweet passes we see are also dependent upon the IQ of the teammates around the PG and they still have to make the shot for an assist to be counted so I take court vision as meaning not just the ability to see a pass through tight spots, but also getting into spaces on the court when driving that no one else could even imagine let alone actually occupy in order to gain an advantage when driving. In general the all-time most difficult to guard (PG or SG) would be His Airness.

If we're supposed to answer what type of PG is hardest to guard then I'd say someone with quickness, power, handles, and a good shooter. I don't think there is one player at the PG with all of that. Paul is a difficult draw and so is Rose, but for different reasons. Those two players are clearly the best players on their team and man the point guard/leadership position on the court. You come into the game trying to scheme against them.

Easy, Deron Williams.

Gators123
05-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Isiah Thomas

Lu's Dynasty
05-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Easy, Deron Williams.

Damn it all. lol :facepalm: I deserve one there.

Master Mind
05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
u say c paul is tim hardaway and someone wrapped in one......d rose is every great pg wrapped in 1 drose does everything better than every pg in the league today and ever ...his crossover is great his spin move is outstanding , he gets to the basket with ease, he is the best finisher at the rim , hes a great foul shooter now, his jumper is way better no so dont say it sucks....

Wow dude how old are you? First of all I said Chris Paul was Isaiah Thomas and Tim Hardaway wrapped in one but whatever. And yes Derrick Rose is amazing, we've never seen his likes at the PG position (the same can be said for Russell Westbrook) but to say he does everything better than every PG in the league today and ever is blasphemy (I'm not even gonna get into that). As for PG's winning the MVP award-

Steve Nash 2x
Allen Iverson
Magic Johnson 3x

Know your history boy.

hyb152
05-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Francis since he was pretty big for a pg... 6'3 and built. he could score and take other pg's to the hoop back in his day.

CityofChaos
05-09-2011, 11:16 PM
I think Monta Ellis should be mentioned--he is one of the quickest guards in the league and has always been known to have unnatural speed since his HS days. Opposing teams almost always have to double team him or put their best defender ala Grant Hill on him.

meloman1592
05-09-2011, 11:30 PM

Shut up lmaooooo.

jzero
05-10-2011, 12:07 AM

this

jzero
05-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Shut up lmaooooo.

i know tony parker was last finals mvp as point guard
that matters more

sargon21
05-10-2011, 12:41 AM
I think it was Rose's 2nd year, when someone asked him who was hardest to guard, and he said T.J Ford lol

Raph12
05-10-2011, 02:46 AM
Iverson was unguardable 1v1... Unguardable.