PDA

View Full Version : Year of the underrated teams?

jimm120
05-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm not saying that people thought these teams were bad. People praised some of these teams, but they seem to be overachieving a lot.

Atlanta Hawks
They beat out Orlando. OK, people thought Orlando might lose, but it was mostly because they thought that Orlando would drop the ball, not that Atlanta would rise up to the occasion. Then, they DO defeat Orlando and are now making it a tough series for the #1 team (well, team with the best record) this year in the NBA.

Memphis Grizzlies
Yeah, people thought they had a nice little groove and had talent, but that nice little groove has turned into a "Knicks get to the finals in 1999" type groove. They went and dismantled the Spurs, who were the top team in the nba until the final couple of weeks. And now they are really sticking with the Thunder.

Dallas Mavericks
What? a #3 seed underrated? Well, they were pegged as the team most lower seed teams wanted to go up against. They were pegged as one of the two teams that might be upset (along with Boston because of NY's duo...but bad coaching did that other one in)...and by Portland, a team missing Oden and especially Roy. Oh, and then they go up against what many consider to be the best team in the league and completely dismantle them by sweeping them. Ok, they didn't dismantle anyone (until the last game), but they stayed close all 3 games and took the lead in the waning seconds of each game. So, they've definitely outperformed expectations.

So, you guys think that these teams were underrated and you really expected each team to beat their first round opponents and make it real tough for their 2nd round opponents or did you think that they would lose easily in the playoffs?

ManRam
05-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Dallas hasn't shocked me. I guess them sweeping LA was a possibility, but I had them in the WCF anyways.

I did and still think Orlando did shoot themselves in the foot a ton, but I might just be a homer. We shot horrendously all series long. No team can win games shooting so poorly from three, especially us. However, ATL now taking two games from Chicago makes me think that maybe they did win it a lot more so than we lost it. They've smartened up though. They've been taking smarter shoots, they haven't been running one-on-ones all game long and they aren't letting Chicago back in games by jacking terrible shots.

Memphis is a complete shock to me. I made a good amount of money on them this regular season when they were hot, and knew they were good. I had no idea they were this good. They've easily been the biggest surprise IMO.

So I said "I knew Dallas was tough" and that I underrated the other two.

jimm120
05-08-2011, 11:44 PM
yeah, I knew Dallas would be tougher than what people were saying, but "sweep the lakers" tough? No.

and I completely underrated Memphis. I gave them NO CHANCE to do anything. Thought they'd get swept and quite easily too.

SportsFanatic10
05-08-2011, 11:47 PM
i personally feel that some teams were overrated more than others being underrated so i'm not voting.